Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, those pencil mustaches are pretty stock villain. There have probably been tons of one-off villains in tons of shows with that look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Talkc posted:

I haven't been into Gundam since Toonami was on the air... But this show actually convinced me to go grab a model when i went out for breakfast.

For such a silly show its incredibly fun to watch.

The only thing i can hope for now is a Custom Robo style video game to come out of this. Cause this show is basically Custom Robo the show. With Gundam.

I don't even buy figures and I really want to get a good quality model after watching the show.

[e] Now that I think about it I actually had a gundam model (and couple zoids for some reason) as a kid because my local dollar store had a bunch for what ever reason. I think it was a Wing a few years after they stopped showing it on toonami.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DrManiac posted:

I don't even buy figures and I really want to get a good quality model after watching the show.

Go here if you want people to throw some suggestions at you and not sidetrack this thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

DrManiac posted:

[e] Now that I think about it I actually had a gundam model (and couple zoids for some reason) as a kid because my local dollar store had a bunch for what ever reason. I think it was a Wing a few years after they stopped showing it on toonami.

For a while when Wing was semi-popular in the West you could find some of the low grade kits just hanging out in normal toy shops.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Sakurazuka posted:

For a while when Wing was semi-popular in the West you could find some of the low grade kits just hanging out in normal toy shops.

Good times, indeed (even if the kits were terrible).

It kind of pisses me off that Bandai is not even making an attempt to sell this show in the US – if this concept failed to get American kids interested in Gunpla then I don't know what would. The reality, of course, being that they got burned hard the first time around and are never likely to attempt it again.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Bandai America died earlier this year, so it's more that they straight up can't.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Who's handling all the Power Rangers crap then? I assume that's still a thing.

edit: nevermind, I figured out what you meant.

editx2 VVVV I was thinking of the toy line.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 18, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Bimmi posted:

Who's handling all the Power Rangers crap then? I assume that's still a thing.

Super Sentai is a Toei franchise, not Sunrise or Bandai on the Japanese end of things. Power Rangers is being handled by Saban once more as far as I'm aware. Neither has anything to do with Bandai in America that I know of.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If they were to try, I imagine they'd do it sometime later in the show's run, if not after it ends. But honestly I think even if they wanted to get this on TV in the US, they don't even have an effective way of getting it out there.

They just don't have many viable options Toonami starts at midnight so while it might find an audience among the Shonen Jump shows, it won't get kids watching. Disney XD? If Naruto wasn't given them the ratings they wanted, nothing will. Cartoon Network and Nicktoons also have a few anime but it's all deeply entrenched stuff like Dragonball Kai, Pokemon, Digimon, etc. Or in other words, franchises that have proven to be a consistent hit.

Perhaps the best route would be to put the series and its inevitable SE Asia English dub* up on as many place as possible, especially Hulu and Netflix. Far from ideal and it won't set the world on fire, but that might be the way to go.

*If Gundam AGE can get a dub for the SE Asia market, then I see absolutely no reason why BF won't get one eventually.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

BlitzBlast posted:

Bandai America died earlier this year, so it's more that they straight up can't.

Bandai Entertainment is not Bandai of America.

tsob posted:

Super Sentai is a Toei franchise, not Sunrise or Bandai on the Japanese end of things. Power Rangers is being handled by Saban once more as far as I'm aware. Neither has anything to do with Bandai in America that I know of.

Bandai's hand is so far up the rear end of Super Sentai that it is currently flipping you off through the mouth; they make the toys both in Japan and America (as two separate companies mind you, which is why ours are so much worse).

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 18, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I was going to say if Pokemon, Danball, Bakugan etc. are on one of those channels there's no reason they couldn't pair it with those because it's basically the same premise. You don't even need insider knowledge of the franchise to enjoy it and those shows all had to start somewhere too. Then I was going to add that they could make a game like Pokemon and Danball have to support it, but now I just want a Build Fighters video game. I know there's Gundam Breakers - but they can just change things up a bit and re-market it to capitalize on and help promote Build Fighters.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Well, there's that Tenkai Knights show on cartoon network in the mornings and that's basically SD Gundam meets Lego.

Gundam models are a thing that probably won't catch on in the states though as gunpla just isn't really something for young kids, at least in America, because you don't really want to give a 6 year old an x-acto knife and model paints.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, there's that Tenkai Knights show on cartoon network in the mornings and that's basically SD Gundam meets Lego.

Gundam models are a thing that probably won't catch on in the states though as gunpla just isn't really something for young kids, at least in America, because you don't really want to give a 6 year old an x-acto knife and model paints.
Really, you can get away with Scissors if all you're building is the cheapo model kits you're supposed to get six year olds.

Maybe a nail file if you're spastic about making the joints clean.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Hell, I was building model kits at 6, dangerously toxic materials and all. Parents today are wimps.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Really, you can get away with Scissors if all you're building is the cheapo model kits you're supposed to get six year olds.

Maybe a nail file if you're spastic about making the joints clean.

The cheapo models I could afford on my allowance as a kid really didn't need any tools at all. Twist the pieces out, snap them together. Granted, they looked and fit like poo poo, but hey, it was a cool toy that I built myself. And from what I understand, the kits nowadays are light years better than the kits I built twenty plus years ago, so they probably look even better with the same amount of minimal effort. I'm guessing you need scissors for those?

In any case, completely agreeing here. Absolutely no need for 'dangerous' tools to make the low end of the models. Nothing to object to, except maybe a choking hazard if your kid still likes to stick random poo poo in his mouth.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Nah, you can still twist pieces out of the runners. It'll look like poo poo and be covered with nubs, but it's totally possible.

Also he said scissors mostly as a joke since they are straight up the worst way to cut pieces out. Even toe nail clippers are better than those things.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I used to twist the pieces of the runners of Gundam Wing kits when they were actually in stores like a drat neanderthal, but I was like 12\13 at the time and didn't know any better!

If you ever catch somebody doing that, whack 'em across the head and then hand 'em a pair of nippers and a hobby knife.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Apparently Build Fighters is getting a manga sidestory. Here's the lead suit.

If anyone thought the Build Strike was a lazy design, the Zeta Fire is here to make you facepalm. I'm going to assume the intent is to capture the ORIGINAL DESIGN DO NOT STEAL sentiment a lot of people do with their first custom kits.

EDIT: V A red Zeta Gundam. Totally different. :colbert:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Oct 19, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's just the Zeta Gundam wielding Lowe Gear's sword.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

BlitzBlast posted:

Apparently Build Fighters is getting a manga sidestory. Here's the lead suit.

If anyone thought the Build Strike was a lazy design, the Zeta Fire is here to make you facepalm. I'm going to assume the intent is to capture the ORIGINAL DESIGN DO NOT STEAL sentiment a lot of people do with their first custom kits.

EDIT: V A red Zeta Gundam. Totally different. :colbert:

Clearly the builder of that suit realized that, while the Zeta is awesome, it would be even MORE awesome if it went 3 times faster and could focus its newtype ghost powers into an actual sword. Probably more effective than ramming into things.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Infinity Gaia posted:

Probably more effective than ramming into things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeN7-jmDZLc

I'd call that pretty goddamn effective.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Let's just be glad we didn't get something from a Filipino modeler.

If you're curious, that thing used to be the Sazabi.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

I want to see something like that make it in the series only for it to get obliterated and see the modeler be told to not make lovely customs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's a clusterfuck of a design, but the actual modeling work is superb. Going by Build Fighter's whole build quality = higher specs, it'd probably kick rear end.

For the people who aren't already familiar with Gunpla, the hobby has an annual worldwide competition called the Gunpla Builders World Cup. There are smaller qualifiying tournaments in each of the competing countries (Japan, China, Singapore, Philippines, Indonesia, Italy, North America, Thailand, Hong Kong, South Korea, Australia and Malaysia last time I checked), and then a final global round in Japan.

The kit in the above picture won the Philippines' qualifying rounds (mostly because a new rule annoyed some of the better Filipino modelers, but eh). It is a giant mess, but that's just the usual design aesthetic for kits there. Seriously, check out its competition.

For contrast, have a look at the winning entry from America's latest semi-final round (which was held at NYCC).

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
The guy who built that Sinanju Stein goes by the name of stryderprime on youtube. He does a lot of clean builds with mostly custom paint jobs, like the stein and it might be worth watching his videos for tips, especially for the people newer to gunpla who want to start doing more custom work, but aren't ready to make some of those plaplate monstrosities like that Filipino winner.

Sometimes I can't tell if I'm posting in this thread or the gunpla thread.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

BlitzBlast posted:

This thing is ugly as all hell but that is really amazing on a technical level. I'm actually quite impressed.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
That is entirely awesome,

BlitzBlast posted:

You only WISH your technical skills were that good. I honestly cannot believe anyone is dissing this thing.

Wait, what the hell thread are we in again?

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

It's like Warhammer 40k vomited all over Char's Counterattack. Instead of space Nazis there's just green idiots piloting the Geara Dogas.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
It reminds me of the Michael Bay Transformers more than anything else.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Draw me like one of your Goufs.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
... well, there goes any chance of a sound sleep tonight.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Bimmi posted:

That is entirely awesome,

You only WISH your technical skills were that good. I honestly cannot believe anyone is dissing this thing.

Wait, what the hell thread are we in again?

I think most people are giving that model poo poo because its not very... gundamy.

It has a Gundam headcrest despite having no other features even similar to a Gundam. Its festooned with Zeon iconography, but the design itself doesn't seem to really carry any attachment to traditional Zeon or Neo-Zeon models. The most I can give it is that its painted green and I think that the thing in its chest is supposed to be the Sazabi's mega particle cannon. I'm not sure though.

On the whole I can acknowledge that is a very well crafted model, but its too busy and too off type. I actually prefer some of the repaints and dioramas from that set simply because they look like something from Gundam instead of something from Michael Bay.

Edit: Jesus.... gently caress. In the middle of a battle Ramba Ral forgot to put his loving pants on.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Level Slide posted:

Draw me like one of your Goufs.
Straight from the animation director's twitter.

I'm amazed he stopped to include a towel over Ramba.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

It's been a while but I am genuinely excited for the next episode of something non-OVA gundam.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Zedd posted:

It's been a while but I am genuinely excited for the next episode of something non-OVA gundam.

I'm sure I originally heard Build Fighters was an OVA, was that wrong or did it get extended?

Caros
May 14, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm sure I originally heard Build Fighters was an OVA, was that wrong or did it get extended?

That was Gunpla Builders. It was a three episode OVA series that touched on the concept without being nearly as awesome.

Watch Build Fighters. It is shaping up to be the best Non-OVA Gundam product in close to a decade. I actually prefer it to Unicorn but to each their own.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Either you got it confused with Gunpla Builders, or you got confused by the news that it was only going to be 26ish episodes instead of the usual 50ish.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Caros posted:

I actually prefer it to Unicorn but to each their own.

It's definitely got much better battle choreography at least.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

It's definitely got much better battle choreography at least.

Well I think one of the reasons I am hyped for Build Fighters is that it plays to the thing I like about Gundam, giant fighting robots.

A lot of shows, SEED, 00 to an extent, Unicorn especially really hammer in the pacificsm theme to the detriment of the mobile suit combat. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing all the time, but I'll admit I got kind of bored in the last episode of Unicorn when 90% of the OVA was taken up by bickering, newtype bullshit and side co-prosperity plotting.

By its nature Build Fighters allows for guiltless battling. You can have two characters kick the poo poo out of each other without having to constantly have them retreat or worry about watching 15 flashbacks of "NICOLLLLLL!!!! STELLAAAAAAA!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Caros posted:

Well I think one of the reasons I am hyped for Build Fighters is that it plays to the thing I like about Gundam, giant fighting robots.

A lot of shows, SEED, 00 to an extent, Unicorn especially really hammer in the pacificsm theme to the detriment of the mobile suit combat. Not that this is necessarily a bad thing all the time, but I'll admit I got kind of bored in the last episode of Unicorn when 90% of the OVA was taken up by bickering, newtype bullshit and side co-prosperity plotting.

By its nature Build Fighters allows for guiltless battling. You can have two characters kick the poo poo out of each other without having to constantly have them retreat or worry about watching 15 flashbacks of "NICOLLLLLL!!!! STELLAAAAAAA!!!!"

I've seen a few people with that opinion. However 00 and Unicorn handle the whole pacifism ideal way better than SEED did. The last episode of Unicorn felt like it was just a huge set up for episode 7, which seeing as it is now feature film length, I've got really high expectations for it. As for BF, I'm liking it way more than I thought I would. As you all have said the fight choreography is awesome. If this is the goofy fun we get before the Origin comes in and blows minds, I'm 100 percent game.

• Locked thread