Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriNcessofDarXness
Jun 16, 2009

The Goon posted:

I grabbed him recently for that price also.

He's not as polished as the FP code figures, but still drat good, and scale wise fits in perfectly with them. Some people have complained about looseness and floppiness but mine does not seem to have those issues. I have no regrets and would recommend him.

Thanks for this input because even though I have no idea who the character is I thought this figure looked really neat and would fit in with my classics. I may just pull the trigger on this... After I'm able to pick up Metroplex from *ahem* a certain goon... In seriousness though, is the head master unit really fragile at all? I'm just paranoid with delicate stuffs. Edit for 3AM drunk spelling. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Well no, it's not incredibly fragile as long as you don't stomp on it or something. It's about as fragile you would expect an articulated, thumb-sized plastic figure would be. The joints are a bit loose though and there's no way to cover the face in robot mode which is a bit annoying.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
The truth is out there. But it is in disguise.

X-Files/Transformers crossover coming from IDW

quote:

IDW is never one to shy away from opportunity and this time they're taking the mysterious Alien world of X-Files and crossing it over with the Robots in Disguise! Yes, you read that right, IDW will be having comic crossover events where X-Files, The Transformers, the Ghostbusters, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the Crow meet face to face.

Early '90s me would have exploded with joy. Early '10s me remains skeptically hopeful.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I lived as the prime demographic for the heyday of Nirvana and the X-Files, and I never got the appeal of either of them.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

Early '90s me would have exploded with joy. Early '10s me remains skeptically hopeful.

So they've got the X-files, and they're going to cross it over with properties featuring:

a war between aliens, waged in secret on Earth
a company that traps the souls of the dead for money
intelligent mutants living in our cities' sewers
and a man who appears to have returned from death to avenge his own murder?

Y'ever come across the setup for a joke that almost writes itself, and then it's actually pretty hard to make it be funny precisely because it's so obvious and you have to top the obviousness of it? That's kind of what I'm feeling here. It's like, well, of course.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Wait, does IDW still have the Doctor Who licence? Come on, this poo poo practically writes itself!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Wait, does IDW still have the Doctor Who licence? Come on, this poo poo practically writes itself!

Nope, it expires Dec 31st.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Any bets on how many pages it'll take before Mulder tells Scully there's "more to this case than meets the eye"?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
"God drat it, Scully, don't be so obtuse! It's obvious these cars are robots...in disguise!"

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I'm going to be disappointed if Generations Thudnerclash is a retool and doesn't come with a trailer.

Because you know that it's coming, you just don't know when Hasbro is going to unleash that white, pink, and pastel aqua with gold trim figure upon the masses.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

IDW is never one to shy away from opportunity and this time they're taking the mysterious Alien world of X-Files and crossing it over with the Robots in Disguise! Yes, you read that right, IDW will be having comic crossover events where X-Files, The Transformers, the Ghostbusters, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the Crow meet face to face.
People still care about the Crow? The is the dead Brandon Lee Crow? Huh.

They should have kept with the theme and done a crossover with this Cro:

Checkout that 90's-required token minority friend. Rad as gently caress.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Knormal posted:

People still care about the Crow? The is the dead Brandon Lee Crow? Huh.

He's the only Crow worth caring about given the horrible sequels in the film franchise and the comics. I still think something worthwhile could have been done with the idea, but all anyone ever did was rehash the first story over and over.

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

Keldroc posted:

He's the only Crow worth caring about given the horrible sequels in the film franchise and the comics. I still think something worthwhile could have been done with the idea, but all anyone ever did was rehash the first story over and over.

The first one was great and they should have just left the series alone after that.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'm going to be disappointed if Generations Thudnerclash is a retool and doesn't come with a trailer.

Because you know that it's coming, you just don't know when Hasbro is going to unleash that white, pink, and pastel aqua with gold trim figure upon the masses.

Thunderclash is probably going to be a redeco of Generations Orion Pax, mostly because Orion Pax already looks a LOT like Thunderclash \ Machine Wars Optimus. After getting the figure I thought "they gotta repaint this as Thunderclash."

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thunderclash is probably going to be a redeco of Generations Orion Pax, mostly because Orion Pax already looks a LOT like Thunderclash \ Machine Wars Optimus. After getting the figure I thought "they gotta repaint this as Thunderclash."

He's just so tiny though...

I'd really like a decent truck voyager figure(that is not optimus). I think Hotspot has been the only recent one.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

WendigoJohnson posted:

He's just so tiny though...

I'd really like a decent truck voyager figure(that is not optimus). I think Hotspot has been the only recent one.

Yeah. It's no secret that Voyagers are my absolute favorite size class (I was never crazy about scouts and mini-cons, and I never truly fell in love with the Masterpiece line until they started releasing Voyager sized cars) but before that, I really, really want a proper Voyager Galvatron and G2 tank Megatron. I mean, I sound like a broken record, but I really want those.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. It's no secret that Voyagers are my absolute favorite size class (I was never crazy about scouts and mini-cons, and I never truly fell in love with the Masterpiece line until they started releasing Voyager sized cars) but before that, I really, really want a proper Voyager Galvatron and G2 tank Megatron. I mean, I sound like a broken record, but I really want those.

At least there's the original G2 Megatron to tide you over. That's what I'm doing, anyway...

MTMTE is one of those rare comics where each new issue is my favorite issue in the series until the next one comes out, then THAT's my favorite. I've been reading comics for almost 30 years and I've never seen such a great "jumping on point" issue that's also just a solid issue for longtime readers.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 20, 2013

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

At least there's the original G2 Megatron to tide you over. At least that's what I'm doing...

The original G2 Megatron has been tiding me over for 20 years.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

The original G2 Megatron has been tiding me over for 20 years.

I bought a Beast Wars 2 version, then combined some parts to give it a different look that's a little closer to the comics IMO. I just wish reprolabels had a set for it, a version with all the stickers in tact can be surprisingly expensive.

Speaking of which, why the gently caress can I not find a G1 Vortex for a remotely reasonable price? Is he secretly made with platinum screws, or what?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Will Thunderclash come with an autographed datapad?

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

The MP cars are a bit too small to be considered Voyagers, I'd say. As for a Voyager Galvatron...any MP Galvatron or G2 Megatron is going to be MP-10 sized. Your best bet for Voyager sized figures of those two is third party, I'd say. And obviously one is way more likely to happen than the other.

Edit: Transformers GO! Dragon-Train Optimus revealed and...

I would hate it, but it makes me laugh too much.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 20, 2013

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Keldroc posted:

The MP cars are a bit too small to be considered Voyagers, I'd say.

It if were still 2005 I'd agree, but if we're going by some kind of algorithm that factors in size and mass (as opposed to "scale", which is always sketchy), I think they're about equivalent.

Keldroc posted:

You said it perfectly. I'd be happy to buy one for cheap, it looks hilarious.

edit: I finally got a G1 Squeezeplay, god he's awesome. I would kill for a classics version (even with the head gimmick removed).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Hmmmm dragon prime's train and robot modes actually are not too shabby, and it looks like he doesn't actually combine with the stackbots his weapon just forms alternate helmets and chestplates.

Have no idea what's happening in the dragon mode, does it even have feet?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Gammatron 64 posted:

The GDO G2 tank megatron I thought was good enough. Yeah it was another weird Megatron/Bludgeon re-use, but it was a solid retool. They also made the G2 Megatron Legends figure, but he wasn't painted as bright a green as his Voyager counterpart.

None of them were big as the Original G2 Megatron though, so any further takes on the figure would need to be leader Sized or above.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 20, 2013

catch22
Feb 17, 2006

WendigoJohnson posted:

The GDO G2 tank megatron I thought was good enough.

God no, it looks nothing like G2 Megs in robot mode. The head is well done though.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

catch22 posted:

God no, it looks nothing like G2 Megs in robot mode. The head is well done though.

I usually hate when people say "We need a new Galvatron" (as an example), because even if it isn't the one you wanted, it's still some kind of attention, which (to me) means it's another character's turn for some love. But there's a big exception for recolors, like GDO Megatron. That mold is SO specifically Bludgeon, with the "skeleton wearing a tank suit" limbs. So yeah, bring on a voyager G2 Megatron, that'd be great.

I love that head, someday I will use the face in a bitchin Deathsaurus custom.

Why cookie Rocket fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Oct 20, 2013

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Keldroc posted:

Edit: Transformers GO! Dragon-Train Optimus revealed and...

I'm going to guess there was a mistranslation somewhere along the way and the dragon mode is actually a dragon boat. There's no way they're trying to pass that off as an actual beast mode. There's a slightly clearer pic here, they didn't even try to give it hind legs. Also that's quite an impressive random chest shelf Optimus is sporting.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Knormal posted:

I'm going to guess there was a mistranslation somewhere along the way and the dragon mode is actually a dragon boat. There's no way they're trying to pass that off as an actual beast mode. There's a slightly clearer pic here, they didn't even try to give it hind legs. Also that's quite an impressive random chest shelf Optimus is sporting.

Edit: No, I looked at it wrong. He actually serves as the third robot to a combination of the two team leaders.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Keldroc posted:

It's just a comic book with Red Alert and Mulder bouncing conspiracy theories between the both of them.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Knormal posted:

It looks like a Web Diver figure exploded over an Optimus Prime figure, but not in a good way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

You Am I posted:

It's just a comic book with Red Alert and Mulder bouncing conspiracy theories between the both of them.

Clearly Scully will have stepped out of the room while this happens. She'll come back in just as Red Alert has transformed. "Scully, he's the car!"

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

catch22 posted:

This. He has a phenomenal head sculpt but G2 Megs he ain't.

I just want some third party to make a Voyager sized, accurate G2 Megatron, as that's the Megatron toy I grew up with as a kid... but that wasn't the case with most others so there's not a lot of demand for him.

Of all the tank Megatrons they've done, only the legends one really looks like him, but the problem with it is that it's a legends figure.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I still have my G2 Megs, I'm surprised how sturdy it is since I had forgotten it was in storage. Well it was my brother's actually but being a normal adult he doesn't collect TFs anymore so it's magically mine now I guess?

In more recent toy news I recently got Beast Fire Predaking and I'm pretty impressed, I like it a lot. The hind dragon legs are a bit weird and limited but if you raise them so he's standing in his dragon claws' tips they look like proper dragon hind legs. The wings are fantastic and huge, and the beast mode is far better than I expected it to be from previews. The stupid dragon head spring is easily fixable so he doesn't have to be constantly recoiling like he smelled a fart. As always there's not a whole lot of paint but what's there is very well applied in the right places. Not that I ever use light and sound gimmicks but my version (international packaging) doesn't include batteries!

It's robot mode where this guy really shines however. It's simply badass and big. Way, way better than the voyager (who I liked already) and I think it's far more poseable too, with balljoint wrists and feet, even the wings are removeable by design if you feel like it. The little launchers are cool and he can hold them in a variety of ways, and at least mine has no problems holding his ridiculously huge tail-sword (others have reported having to tighten some swivels and joints which is also easily done). I was considering passing on this guy but I'm so happy I got him. If you're like me and enjoy the BH figures, particularly the dragons, get Predaking.

There's still that other voyager coming up and it looks pretty, I might have to get that one too if I see him. I have a weakness for dragonformers :smaug:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Of all the tank Megatrons they've done, only the legends one really looks like him, but the problem with it is that it's a legends figure.

Maybe you're thinking about this the wrong way, maybe you need a Trypticon to legitimize your legends figure...

I liked that G2 Megatron that was a repaint of his deluxe-size Classics figure but I may be alone on that.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Oh my god Maketoys Paladin/Chaos is never coming out, is it? :( I wouldn't mind so much except that my Fansproject not-Drag Strip and not-Dead End are bundled with it.

I am never pre-order-stacking toys from different companies ever again.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Captain Magic posted:

Oh my god Maketoys Paladin/Chaos is never coming out, is it? :( I wouldn't mind so much except that my Fansproject not-Drag Strip and not-Dead End are bundled with it.

I have Paladin/Chaos, he's loving awesome. Maybe he was only available at cons?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

I ordered him LAST YEAR. It's almost next year.

I think I'm gonna stick with BBTS where I can cancel preorders from now on.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Rei_ posted:

I have Paladin/Chaos, he's loving awesome. Maybe he was only available at cons?

He was delayed, ostensibly due to some manufacturing/design problem or other. But I hold out hope...

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I'm hoping he does come out someday because I still want it, along with at least one Mobine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
Honestly I thought Thunderclash was gonna be in last Botcons Machine Wars set. Just take all the Foch molds and repaint them into the original toys the 90s Machine Wars characters swiped from. Seemed like a logical and brilliant idea to me.

Which is probably why Funpub chose to not do it.

Though this BBTS sale seems like a good reason to finally get that G2 Laser Prime giftset and repaint him into Black Convoy. Its the reason I skipped the mold originally. And then Funpub got it and laughed at all of us.

Sort of how Hasbro now has a Kreo HISS tank but only in a super expensive set to tease us.

Shits expensive nowadays and toys tend to be the firstly silly thing I choose to skip. Even if I really want that upcoming Not Arcee and one of the Not Brainstorms. His end in Marvel G1 was funny.