Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CaptainPsyko posted:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?117100

You can ditch Able Learner and the Assassin dip for whatever to meet the level reqs.

Edit: That said, don't roll a cleric/stormlord if you want to play a skillmonkey. You'll be getting 2/level and dumping Int for the most part.

Edit 2: Here are some other choices that don't suck:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?37132 - this one gets HiPS (the best feat in the game), a 5d6 Sneak Attack, and EDM/DS, but it's kind of a late bloomer.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?18951 - this version is a cleave monster with nutso Strength.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?82137 - this is a fun Warlock/FS/SL hybrid that gives you a ~10d6 persistent damage aura. If your server isn't using K's, this (using Death Ward to prevent Con Damage from hellfire, quicken on Eldritch Blast, etc.) may or may not be fixed - it is in K's, but I know nothing about Cormyrs custom stuff. Here's a version that is also an Orc: http://nwn2db.com/build/?234
http://nwn2db.com/build/?10093 - Crit Machine Weapon Master variant. For when you just want to stab things in the face.

I almost always play a rogue type, so I wanted something different this time. That warlock build seems interesting though... aren't warlocks super boring to actually play, though? I dunno even know what I'd RP with that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Gentwise posted:

I'm trying to play NWN2 with the mod compilation from the OP. The gameplay is fun enough, but holy crap, it feels like I'm fighting the camera as much as the wolves and lizardmen. The A.I. also behaves very strangely, but that's probably because I haven't really delved into all that mod's AI options.

You get used to it after a while. Just pick a camera mode and stick to it after dicking around with the settings to your likings. I mostly stayed in strategy mode, using WASD and left-click dragging to move the camera around.

Wrapped up MOTB a couple of days ago! :toot:

Ending was a bit anti-climatic. I figured we'd at least get a chance to tear down the wall but that issue was dropped without much fanfare. Overall I'd say it easily lived up to the hype.

Fav moment http://i.imgur.com/1FU43zo.jpg

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Krowley posted:

Ending was a bit anti-climatic. I figured we'd at least get a chance to tear down the wall but that issue was dropped without much fanfare. Overall I'd say it easily lived up to the hype.

A good few endings actually end with Kaeyln leading crusades against the Wall, which is at least something.

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
Does no one here play on BG: Sword Coast Chronicles on NWN2? It's by far the most popular server that's still up, as far as I can tell, but I'm not sure I want to sit around for an hour to download everything.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Unless anything has changed since myself and a few others played it at least a year ago, Sword Coast Chronicles is the MMOiest of all of the servers. Very light on roleplaying, heavy on trying to cram as many lore friendly areas in as they possibly can and packing them full of monsters to loot. If all you're really interested in is murdering gnolls with a bunch of min maxed doofuses it's pretty much ideal, otherwise not so much.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

Judgement is correct, it's a glorified MMO. I also played it a couple years ago though, so maybe it's different now? Both servers I used to like no longer exist, so I have no idea if there are any good servers left.

N0data
Dec 6, 2006

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici."- Faust (By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.)
Anyone at all interested in a NWN1 persistent world? I've been thinking about setting my old one back up. Details are still in the OP, but the IP would change.

Here's the info from the OP:

After reading this thread, I dug up my old NWN PW files and started modding them again. I think the last CEP version I had running was 2.1 or 2.2. I've been working solid on it again for about 2 weeks now, with a few friends running through and testing everything for me. Here's some of the details:

A multitude of subraces, including: Goblins, Ogres, Wemics, Minotaurs, Pixies, Kobolds, Lizardmen and Vampires. Subraces are typically more powerful than normal races and ECL is implemented. Upon leveling up, a subrace loses a set amount of xp (based on his ECL) and must attain the level again to keep it. This ensures they don't soak any more xp than anyone else in the party, but still progress slower than normal races.
Custom Necromancer class that can raise the corpses of monsters that he's killed and use them as zombie henchmen. The more poweful the Necromancer becomes, the more powerful his zombie henchmen are. Also, if the creature was a caster in life, it's a caster in (un)death.
Fully customized death system which includes the ability to pick up dead player bodies, and take them back to town for rez, or you can respawn where you've died and take an xp loss.
The PW is full PvP, and combat between opposing factions is encouraged. I really go tired of playing on servers where there HAD to be forced RP between races that hated each other. I never really understood why my goblin assassin couldn't just sneak up on some humans while they were sleeping and cut their throats without a lengthy introduction...?
A unique rest system that allows players to rest at (almost) any time. Resting takes time however (approx 10secs per level). This is designed to give enemy players the opportunity to come upon resting players and attack them off guard. Resting can be cancelled at any time, however, and the character keeps whatever hitpoints or spells he's gained up till that point. Resting in an Inn or Barracks (or other "safe" zones in the world) is instant.
Not sure if any of you have ever played Undermountain, but I've taken quite a bit of time bringing the dungeon to life, room by room, straight from the pages of the book.
Future plans include to expand the Necromancer custom spells and use them as a base for an Illusionist class that can create Illusions of any monster he's killed or seen in combat, thus having a group of "illusionary" monsters following him around as henchmen.
Future plans to set up an Assassin's guild forum, where players can promise gold or items found to the Assassins in exchange for the death of another character. Ofcourse, contracts that aren't honored would be punished with a server-issued "hit" on the betraying character.

My real goal here is to create a full PvP, player-driven, RP server, where I'll do my best add whatever content the players would like to see. Think you've earned enough of a reputation as a leader on the server, and want to move on to something better? I'll set up a vote among the players and elect you as king. I'll build you a castle and you can have your own guards and servants. I'd like the story of the world to be driven by the players. It needs to grow with them, not remain a static place where I log in after each reset and run to the nearest chest spawn. I honestly think that this is where NWN really shines, in persistent, story-driven, privately run servers. There's really no other game that does that better.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I decided to go for something completely different and now have a Swashbuckling Wizard!

Name is Selena Borias on Cormyr, if any of you also are on there.

JohnnyBigPotatoes
Jun 8, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPENDING $732.49 ON DIABLO 3 GOLD AND THEN SELLING ALL THE ITEMS AND GOLD FOR $38.27 BECAUSE I WAS AFRAID OF THE TAXES AND IRS

Mitt Romney 2012
click here to find out more
I just finished Khelgar's vision quest. Obviously it's what he wants but I know nothing about DnD and have no idea if the monk class is any good. I'm definitely cool with seeing him punch demons in the face but am worried he might become useless without armour and a weapon
What counts as unarmoured for the sake of monk related bonuses and such? can I wear a cloak, rings, a periapt?

I've just finished the assault on crossroads keep ch2 and I'm starting to remember why I have never finished this game. While the game is getting good it's also getting insanely bloated. Every mook drops a named weapon, I'm drowning in amulets and rings and crafting recipes. Every new jolly companion has 7 levels of unique spells and metamagic options and feats and skills, cloaks and boots which all have uses per day of their own, and whose got that cleric only belt that I thought was really good but never had a cleric at the time? or was it druid only?

I appreciate the amount of stuff and I'm not really complaining it's just that for some bdoy who has never played tabletop DnD it's overwhelming. I've also tried taking a few prestige levels: 4 in blood dragon disciple on top of 10 sorcerer levels, is this a good idea? I thought it was but got to level 3 before I realise I misunderstood the class description and you don't actually turn into a dragon eventually :(

Am I right in thinking that sorcerer spells should ideally be ones that have effects or durations that scale with caster levels because of the limited pool and inabilty to change them? or can the meta magic feats like empower keep them useful? I picked up true strike and have been getting touch attack spells thinking that they would synergise, I hope this wasn't a bad idea.
Will I be spreading myself too thin if I get a few arcane scholar of candlekeep levels?

I don't really fancy reading a complete guide to 4th(?) edition rules but a few general tips would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, the combat has gotten extremely bananas. I have AI on with a few minor tweaks but spend most of the time just controlling my dude and it's ridiculous but fun as well. Now that enemy spellcasters are showing up everything just gets gets glooped and webbed then explodes and poo poo is getting summoned left and right and bells start ringing (magic resistance i think?) I have no idea what the hell is happening most of the time and have friendly fire turned on but I'm making steady progress so far.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The monk class is fine, but Khelgar makes a really lovely monk, especially because the Belt/Hammer of Ironfist combo is so damned good and perfect for him. Also, have you seen his Wis/Dex scores? Monks need those. Especially Wisdom.

Keep him as a fighter.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

So I went with a Swashbuckler/Wizard for now, but now I'm at an impasse. Originally I had planned to go for this funky Eldritch Knight/Invisible Blade build based on this:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?1097

But the fact that I wouldn't be able to get Perfect TWF with a human, plus the totally wasted Bleeding Wound feats (no sneak attacks) kinda annoyed me, though the Feints seemed pretty cool.

I concocted a similar build, but like this:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?163225

Because a rapier just seemed more pirate-y and my character is supposed to be an ex-pirate, so look wise it's pretty great. It also seems like kukris are hard to find on the server. Thing is, it's totally skill-poor and I feel like with the stacked Insight setup, the IB build would just be hilariously better even without Perfect TWF in terms of ripping people in half, even if the Duelist build has slightly better AC and a way better crit range with Keen Edge.

Either setup could work from an RP standpoint, so I'm a bit torn on which way to go. Flourish is sorta neat, but I feel like feint + dual-wielding 1d4+10 kukris at 9 attacks a round (10 with Haste) would just be even more hilarious, PLUS it gets a bunch of handy skills like Listen and Spot for me to dump points into.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
http://nwn2db.com/build/?163227

Here's what I would do with the Invisible Blade setup. Skills aren't fully done on either of my builds, just so you know. I just put in the important ones for passive bonuses.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 18, 2013

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

JohnnyBigPotatoes posted:

I just finished Khelgar's vision quest. Obviously it's what he wants but I know nothing about DnD and have no idea if the monk class is any good. I'm definitely cool with seeing him punch demons in the face but am worried he might become useless without armour and a weapon
What counts as unarmoured for the sake of monk related bonuses and such? can I wear a cloak, rings, a periapt?

If you really want him as a monk, you can use console commands to fix his stats. Help is in the 3rd post of the OP under Console Commansds, or ask if you need more help.
Unarmored means that you can still wear cloth armor. There are monk robes available, and you can still wear all the other slots, too, I believe.

quote:

I appreciate the amount of stuff and I'm not really complaining it's just that for some bdoy who has never played tabletop DnD it's overwhelming. I've also tried taking a few prestige levels: 4 in blood dragon disciple on top of 10 sorcerer levels, is this a good idea? I thought it was but got to level 3 before I realise I misunderstood the class description and you don't actually turn into a dragon eventually :(

If you think you messed up your character, again, console commands can let you de-level then re-level. 3rd OP post, under Self Modding & Hacks. :)

quote:

Am I right in thinking that sorcerer spells should ideally be ones that have effects or durations that scale with caster levels because of the limited pool and inabilty to change them? or can the meta magic feats like empower keep them useful? I picked up true strike and have been getting touch attack spells thinking that they would synergise, I hope this wasn't a bad idea.
Will I be spreading myself too thin if I get a few arcane scholar of candlekeep levels?

I usually use Qara as a glass cannon and pick up a few defensive spells but mostly offensive spells and let Sand handle all of the utility and item creation. I can't remember what true strike does, I've never played a sorcerer. Arcane Scholar of Candlekeep is a decent PRC. As longas it's not a PRC that would cause you to lose caster levels, if it sounds interesting, try it. :)

quote:

I don't really fancy reading a complete guide to 4th(?) edition rules but a few general tips would be greatly appreciated.

NWN2 uses 3.5 rules. :)
The 5th OP post is a broad overview of 3rd/3.5 rules so that might help some, but I think you're looking for more detailed advice.

quote:

Finally, the combat has gotten extremely bananas. I have AI on with a few minor tweaks but spend most of the time just controlling my dude and it's ridiculous but fun as well. Now that enemy spellcasters are showing up everything just gets gets glooped and webbed then explodes and poo poo is getting summoned left and right and bells start ringing (magic resistance i think?) I have no idea what the hell is happening most of the time and have friendly fire turned on but I'm making steady progress so far.

Haha yeah that's just how combat gets near the end. I sometimes queue up 2 or 3 actions for my casters and tell my fighters were to attack to start out but after that it's a free-for-all unless someone is being really dumb or one enemy is kicking rear end and needs to get taken down now. It gets worse, but the colors exploding all over the screen are pretty.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

To talk about Baldur's Gate PW, and how unfun it was, I knew 2 DMs on there and still refused to play it. It's tedious grinding bullshit even when you get a friend to give you a bunch of +4 items in the form of blatant favoritism.

Also, the OC is easy enough that Khelgar as a monk works.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

N0data posted:

Anyone at all interested in a NWN1 persistent world?

I never stopped playing nwn and still play on several servers right now, i mostly prefer light-rp high action servers but i'm up for it especially with the necromancer class, which i still would like to try to play the OC campaigns with if you ever decide to release it in the vault or elsewhere :)

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

To talk about Baldur's Gate PW, and how unfun it was, I knew 2 DMs on there and still refused to play it. It's tedious grinding bullshit even when you get a friend to give you a bunch of +4 items in the form of blatant favoritism.

Are there good PWs, though? I'm not sure what else to look for since most other servers seem to be like under 20 people.

N0data
Dec 6, 2006

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici."- Faust (By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.)

Delerion posted:

I never stopped playing nwn and still play on several servers right now, i mostly prefer light-rp high action servers but i'm up for it especially with the necromancer class, which i still would like to try to play the OC campaigns with if you ever decide to release it in the vault or elsewhere :)

I do need to do this. That's next on my list now. Thanks for the reminder!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Fuzz posted:

So I went with a Swashbuckler/Wizard for now, but now I'm at an impasse. Originally I had planned to go for this funky Eldritch Knight/Invisible Blade build based on this:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?1097

But the fact that I wouldn't be able to get Perfect TWF with a human, plus the totally wasted Bleeding Wound feats (no sneak attacks) kinda annoyed me, though the Feints seemed pretty cool.

I concocted a similar build, but like this:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?163225

Because a rapier just seemed more pirate-y and my character is supposed to be an ex-pirate, so look wise it's pretty great. It also seems like kukris are hard to find on the server. Thing is, it's totally skill-poor and I feel like with the stacked Insight setup, the IB build would just be hilariously better even without Perfect TWF in terms of ripping people in half, even if the Duelist build has slightly better AC and a way better crit range with Keen Edge.

Either setup could work from an RP standpoint, so I'm a bit torn on which way to go. Flourish is sorta neat, but I feel like feint + dual-wielding 1d4+10 kukris at 9 attacks a round (10 with Haste) would just be even more hilarious, PLUS it gets a bunch of handy skills like Listen and Spot for me to dump points into.

Thoughts?

EDIT:
http://nwn2db.com/build/?163227

Here's what I would do with the Invisible Blade setup. Skills aren't fully done on either of my builds, just so you know. I just put in the important ones for passive bonuses.

Bump... any thoughts on this? I just hit level 3, and need to decide which Weapon Focus to take.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

iCe-CuBe. posted:

Are there good PWs, though? I'm not sure what else to look for since most other servers seem to be like under 20 people.

Nope. Your choices are "empty" or "bad". CHOOSE WISELY.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Judgement posted:

Nope. Your choices are "empty" or "bad". CHOOSE WISELY.

Cormyr has been pretty populated for the two days I've been playing, and so far it's quite fun and has some solid RPers. Really nice area design, too.

http://frcormyr.proboards.com/

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

I'm checking cormyr out as the Appropriately named bard->harper Arran Swiftquill.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The fact that it has

Laws of Cormyr posted:

Common Crimes...

Rape

Rape is the act of forced sexual intercourse, which is initiated by one or more persons against another person without consent. The act may be carried out by physical force, coercion, abuse of authority or with a person who is incapable of valid consent.

Punishment

Imprisonment – arbitrary duration subject to judgment of magistrate, fine of at least 3000 lions paid to victim. Cases involving a victim of noble or royal blood result in the execution of the offender under all circumstances.

is disgusting!

The fact that it has

Laws of Cormyr posted:

Other Crimes

On the Harming of Cats

Harming cats (of the house cat variety as opposed to larger, more predatory felines) is a crime punishable by a fine of one thousand lions.

is hilarious!

Combined though, they are loving creepy, because hey, harming three cats is the same as rape!

Edit: They have rules for establishing our own guild if we get 5 players on. Clearly we need to create some sort of terrible Goon guild.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 19, 2013

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

Hey now, If you rape a noble you're executed. If you hurt three noble cats you're just fined.

But what if you rape three noble cats? :iiam:

Edit: Goon Guild, a secret society patrolling Cormyr for it's own ends? Why not, I was planning on being a harper anyways. :v:

Quantumfate fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 19, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Quantumfate posted:

Hey now, If you rape a noble you're executed. If you hurt three noble cats you're just fined.

But what if you rape three noble cats? :iiam:

Edit: Goon Guild, a secret society patrolling Cormyr for it's own ends? Why not, I was planning on being a harper anyways. :v:

The Goons, an extralegal secret society that exists to punish those who the laws let loose, who pose as common thugs.

Murder all rapists, clean up server. :v:

Or something else, who knows.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

How about Glittergold's Goons- A gnome supremacist organization.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Quantumfate posted:

How about Glittergold's Goons- A gnome supremacist organization.

That would require me play a gnome and ew.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

That would require me play a gnome and ew.

The attitude of the lesser races.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Quantumfate posted:

The attitude of the lesser races.

Says the guy with a human.

I'm enjoying myself. My Pirate Queen will sail again! :pirate:

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Good news everyone. The elves on cormyr are as awful and clique-y as every other server.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
*furrows brow*

willing to settle
Apr 13, 2011
*Speaks in melodious elven* Don't play PWs.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Quantumfate posted:

Good news everyone. The elves on cormyr are as awful and clique-y as every other server.

Yeah, but isn't that how they're supposed to be? They're roleplaying stuck up xenophobes.

Which is why I made a goddamn human. gently caress elves.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

They have rules for establishing our own guild if we get 5 players on. Clearly we need to create some sort of terrible Goon guild.

A quick and dirty symbol for us.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Krowley posted:

I think the super-evil ending has you devouring it, along with other things. It's probably the most interesting one

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 19, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Hmmm. Cormyr isn't running KPack.

I wonder if the Alertness bug works...?

N0data
Dec 6, 2006

So I'm running an official game tonight (Oct 19,2013) at around 8 pm EST (Now!) of my Werewolf mod. If you'd like to play, come on in and join us!

It's NWN1, no mods or Haks needed.

Server IP is: 65.33.194.196

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Futzed around on Cormyr for an hour of two today. After realizing that it was going to take like 9 hours of grinding the same two hallways to get to level 3, and that going anyplace else gets me killed immediately, I gave up.

I understand slow progression but this is pathetic/insane.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
Leveling up breaks immersion. Go back to WoW if you want that poo poo. *fades back into the shadows, chuckling faintly at the foolishness of city dwellers*

Fendahleen
May 21, 2003

WE KNOW THAT YOU CAN HEAR US, EARTH MEN

CaptainPsyko posted:

this is pathetic/insane.

Hello and welcome to NWN2 online roleplaying! :)

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

CaptainPsyko posted:

Futzed around on Cormyr for an hour of two today. After realizing that it was going to take like 9 hours of grinding the same two hallways to get to level 3, and that going anyplace else gets me killed immediately, I gave up.

I understand slow progression but this is pathetic/insane.

Posted about this on their forums, we'll see what the response is.

If they get some obnoxious "WELL YOU HAVE TO EARN THAT LEVEL 3-4 BUB" poo poo, I might just stop bothering, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Krowley posted:

You get used to it after a while. Just pick a camera mode and stick to it after dicking around with the settings to your likings. I mostly stayed in strategy mode, using WASD and left-click dragging to move the camera around.

Wrapped up MOTB a couple of days ago! :toot:

Wizards of the Coast, I poo poo you not told the developers they could not have you fight Kelemvor, or tear down the Wall. Not that you can't win. You can't even have the fight. They did not want to mess up "realmslore continuity" in a video game.... yeap. Not making this up.

• Locked thread