Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

evol262 posted:

New developer. IDE. IDE. New developer. There's zero correlation. And nothing they should be using VS, Eclipse, IntelliJ, PyDev, or anything else for over Notepad++

I'm not a dev, but I do have to do minor updates and search code constantly to figure out why/how/where. If it weren't for the VS I think I'd go insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
XP SP2 was the "good service pack" and SP3 just messed things up and added useless features. People in the know stay on SP2 because it runs faster.

Or so sayeth one of our most self-professedly tech-savvy clients as I'm telling him what I did to fix his ransomware infection.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Entropic posted:

XP SP2 was the "good service pack" and SP3 just messed things up and added useless features. People in the know stay on SP2 because it runs faster.

Or so sayeth one of our most self-professedly tech-savvy clients as I'm telling him what I did to fix his ransomware infection.

SP2 runs malware faster :colbert:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

SEKCobra posted:

But that's about all it should be. There shouldn't be blocks on "Weapons" or "Games". Manage your employees, don't loving censor the internet, it ruins it.

I fail to see how disallowing employees from completely non-work related sites is somehow ruining the internet.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I'm not a dev, but I do have to do minor updates and search code constantly to figure out why/how/where. If it weren't for the VS I think I'd go insane.

Using VS as a crutch isn't a good thing.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

ratbert90 posted:

Using VS as a crutch isn't a good thing.

I've heard these purist arguments before and they're bullshit. Notepad++ is a tool, so is Vi, Emacs, Eclipse, Visual Studio, ect. If you can get your job done more effectively when using one tool over another, then use that tool. Better; worse; good; bad; these are all subjective terms and only apply to an individual, not a universal standard.

Edit: Reading further back on this thread I will add to this statement. If someone is new to programming and doesn't know what an IDE is, maybe it's because they are new! I know, radical concept, but give it some thought, you'll see that I'm right.

As someone that is just learning to program, I'm finding that using an IDE is very helpful. As time goes on, I'm becoming more proficient with it and it gets easier to use.

IamJacksAlcoholism fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 18, 2013

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

IamJacksAlcoholism posted:

I've heard these purist arguments before and they're bullshit. Notepad++ is a tool, so is Vi, Emacs, Eclipse, Visual Studio, ect. If you can get your job done more effectively when using one tool over another, then use that tool. Better; worse; good; bad; these are all subjective terms and only apply to an individual, not a universal standard.

No poo poo. But if you can't use a socket wrench I don't want you to be my mechanic, even if you can rebuild a engine with a impact wrench.
What if VS isn't there? Knowing how to use the other tools isn't just a good thing, it should be a necessity.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

:dings: Who gives a poo poo? :dings:

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Liquor ipsum dolor sit amet golden dream stolichnaya; jose cuervo ballantine, brandy manhattan! General sherman ramos gin fizz blue hawaii. Glendronach myers grog pisco sour ketel one kamikaze bananarita oban glen keith dufftown. Negroni montgomery, murphy's cuba libre rum swizzle. Vodka martini

ratbert90 posted:

No poo poo. But if you can't use a socket wrench I don't want you to be my mechanic, even if you can rebuild a engine with a impact wrench.

So, someone that uses an IDE to write code wouldn't know how to write code in a text editor? Of course they would. They may be slower at it because they aren't used to doing it that way, but it could still be done. Actually, your analogy just makes my point for me. Why would you care what tool I use, the engine gets rebuilt either way. Wouldn't you want me to use the tool that makes me the most productive?

ratbert90 posted:

What if VS isn't there? Knowing how to use the other tools isn't just a good thing, it should be a necessity.
Just how often do you find yourself needing to write code away from your tools?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

If VS wasn't there I'd kick it back to my devs and say "Sorry guys, waste your time on this task that trivial enough for a PM with VS to do because I don't have VS" then move on to other things.

In you're analogy, the devs are the guys strong enough to break torque with a socket wrench. I'm the weakling that needs the impact wrench because I likely don't do this all day, though maybe if I wanted to I could figure out a way to use a breaker bar until I get strong enough.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

ratbert90 posted:

What if VS isn't there? When does this happen? In what shithole of a job have you worked where a fundamental development tool was not available? Did they make you code on an electric typewriter and send it overseas to get transcribed and compiled? If I were looking at a job and they didn't have these tools available I might have trouble breathing for all the laughing I'd be doing as I walked out of the interview.

As for your :iiaca:, what do I care? Seriously. Dude just rebuilt an engine. If it works, why should I care what tool he used to get the job done? He clearly used the tool he was comfortable with. And he rebuilt a loving engine; I'm pretty sure that even if he's never touched a socket wrench in his life he could probably figure out how to use one. I figure what you're really saying is that you wouldn't trust a mechanic to rebuild an engine in a NASCAR garage if they couldn't do it in the garage attached to their house.

Caveat: I'm assuming we're still actually writing code ourselves here, and not using some of these tools' powerful code generation features to slap together the most bland, generic programs imaginable without knowing anything.

IamJacksAlcoholism
Apr 29, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

Caveat: I'm assuming we're still actually writing code ourselves here, and not using some of these tools' powerful code generation features to slap together the most bland, generic programs imaginable without knowing anything.

This is my understanding as well. If I use a WYSISYG editor and don't actually write the code, then I'm not a programmer, I'm...a web developer? (just kidding):dance:

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Che Delilas posted:

What if VS isn't there? When does this happen? In what shithole of a job have you worked where a fundamental development tool was not available? Did they make you code on an electric typewriter and send it overseas to get transcribed and compiled? If I were looking at a job and they didn't have these tools available I might have trouble breathing for all the laughing I'd be doing as I walked out of the interview.

As for your :iiaca:, what do I care? Seriously. Dude just rebuilt an engine. If it works, why should I care what tool he used to get the job done? He clearly used the tool he was comfortable with. And he rebuilt a loving engine; I'm pretty sure that even if he's never touched a socket wrench in his life he could probably figure out how to use one. I figure what you're really saying is that you wouldn't trust a mechanic to rebuild an engine in a NASCAR garage if they couldn't do it in the garage attached to their house.

I'm not disputing that a competent developer is aided by IDEs. I'm saying that if you walked into Norm Abram's workshop without ever touching a saw, you'd be pretty loving overwhelmed. And insasmuch as the idea that you "need" all that poo poo is wrong (and experienced developers don't), it's information overload for new developers. The fact that schools aren't teaching them how to use Eclipse in their first semester is because new devs don't need it. At all.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I don't agree with the IDEs are a crutch argument but you absolutely don't want someone building an engine solely with an impact gun. Whole bunch of bolts in an engine that need to be torqued correctly which can't be done with much accuracy using an impact gun.

e: Well technically there are very expensive electric impacts used by some large manufacturing companies which torque every bolt to a precise value but your mechanic doesn't have one of those.

Galler fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Oct 19, 2013

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies
Well then... In an effort to try to steer this thread back onto the appropriate course, I'll post a ticket that I received yesterday at the end of the day:
User reports issues with PC ID:*ERADMITTINGPC* it is totally frozen, not even allowing to reboot it. Please assist.

I stop by to look at it and notice that it's not entirely frozen as the cursor moves when the mouse wiggles. It's just that nothing responds when you try to click on anything. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL a couple of times to see if I can bring up Taskmanager and whatever program that was causing the hangup finally closes and the PC reboots. PC comes back up and I look in the event viewer. Basically, at 3AM Windows updates were automatically installed and the PC had tried to reboot, but some program hung, causing it to just sit there in limbo. Why it took these idiots 13 or so hours to finally open a drat ticket only 30 minutes before the end of the business day is beyond me.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

TWBalls posted:

30 minutes before the end of the business day

I distilled the answer out for you.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Sort of a cross-thread thing by now, but poo poo that's not pissing me off today: catching up on this thread, and seeing Lum and Sirotan being the only two people who ever seem to be able to spell "HIPAA" correctly. Thank you, ladies. :)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Acid Reflux posted:

Sort of a cross-thread thing by now, but poo poo that's not pissing me off today: catching up on this thread, and seeing Lum and Sirotan being the only two people who ever seem to be able to spell "HIPAA" correctly. Thank you, ladies. :)

Hah, after a long and lovely day dealing with printers (gently caress printers), I needed that laugh. :)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Acid Reflux posted:

I've given up trying to correct people, but Lum isn't even American :smith:

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I got HIPAA certified earlier this year, it's massively underwhelming.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Acid Reflux posted:

...and Lum's not even Murican.

I hate it when I have to work overtime, but at least i get paid. I cannot believe that I have customers that will pay a premium so me and my team will work after hours on their crap, but alas, they do.

ZZzz..

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:

Acid Reflux posted:

Having come from retail pharmacy, it's my silent pet peeve as well, but I've also given up on asking people to spell it right.

Content: No tickets came in for a good buddy of mine. See, this is his first rodeo in IT, and he got "promoted" from warehouse grunt to desktop support grunt, taking a pay cut for salary + benefits.

God, what a shithole. No tickets came in because there's no ticketing system. He supports around 50 desktops, all bought from retail for as cheap as possible, running Home editions of various Windows. No domain, expired antivirus, and not even allowed to clean the crapware out of them. He offered to at least get Spiceworks rolling and was told that all the PCs were disposable anyway. His network went down a couple weeks ago because a critical server rebooted after auto-patching Windows and he isn't allowed to change that.

Naturally, this means they're taking advantage of him like a god drat dog; he's only been there for a month, but he's got work for the next two weeks straight and of loving course he's on salary. If this weren't his first job in IT I'd tell him to get the gently caress out, but unfortunately no one else is gonna hire any newbie without more experience in his belt.

user on probation
Nov 1, 2012

removed
We have a slingbox hooked up to our giant cable ingress box so the company owner can watch canadian sports broadcasts from the states/the tropics/wherever over the internet from his ipad. Recently cogeco cable turned off analog broadcasts for good, so the slingbox stopped being able to decode anything from the cable feed (except for christian broadcasts and CSPAN for some reason). We ordered a cable box. I patched it in. Alright, now it can decode the channels properly, but there's no way to control the cable box to change channels without physically standing in front of it in the server room pointing the remote control at it. We ordered an IR blaster to relay channel change signals from the virtual remote on the slingbox. It doesn't fit the connector, slingbox uses a 2.5mm connector instead of a standard 3.5mm connector. We ordered a 2.5mm-3.5mm mono adapter. I can't wait to find out the reason it doesn't work!

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

It is HIPPA like a female hippo.

Recently an email went out to students about HIPAA training with the subject line :HIPPA & Infection Control Trainings

I feel like the IT office are the only people that consistently spell it correctly.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

demonachizer posted:

It is HIPPA like a female hippo.

Recently an email went out to students about HIPAA training with the subject line :HIPPA & Infection Control Trainings

I feel like the IT office are the only people that consistently spell it correctly.

While I'm completely avoiding :thejoke: I've just learned that Hippa is a genus of decapod crustaceans in the family Hippidae, not the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act.

Hippa is crabs and prawns (shrimps)

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Acid Reflux posted:

Not only am I not American as already pointed out, but I don't even know what it stands for (too lazy to Google). I just know it as "that American law about not leaving patient data in /wwwroot or whatever" that keeps coming up in the ticket thread.

Same thing with FERPA, I just know that from rants on IRC. Related: Apparently someone in the US with the same first name and first letter of surname as my GF has a child that is currently doing very badly in school, to the point of the school trying to email the parents.

Given that most of the people who rant about the term "labtop" seem to work in Healthcare or Education, it doesn't come as a huge surprise that this is a problem.

Lum fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 19, 2013

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

tehloki posted:

We have a slingbox hooked up to our giant cable ingress box so the company owner can watch canadian sports broadcasts from the states/the tropics/wherever over the internet from his ipad. Recently cogeco cable turned off analog broadcasts for good, so the slingbox stopped being able to decode anything from the cable feed (except for christian broadcasts and CSPAN for some reason). We ordered a cable box. I patched it in. Alright, now it can decode the channels properly, but there's no way to control the cable box to change channels without physically standing in front of it in the server room pointing the remote control at it. We ordered an IR blaster to relay channel change signals from the virtual remote on the slingbox. It doesn't fit the connector, slingbox uses a 2.5mm connector instead of a standard 3.5mm connector. We ordered a 2.5mm-3.5mm mono adapter. I can't wait to find out the reason it doesn't work!

I love my slingbox, oh so much. It appears that you'll be fine with that adapter as many on ebay list that in the details.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't work out if 'labtop' or 'lap top' annoys me more.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

toe shoes posted:

Hippa is crabs and prawns (shrimps)
That really changes the meaning of "HIPPA violation".

Eww.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Caged posted:

Should be notebook. :colbert:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Healthcare support is the worst. Nothing like driving 2.5 hours each way in the middle of the night during your on call rotation because a nurse couldn't plug in a cord.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Caged posted:

"Lappy" trumps them both for me.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Had a friend tell his mum that he couldn't put her garbage to sell on the Craigslist, because he had to stand on line for too long to get it posted. Not online, but on line (which is new yorker for standing in a queue). She bought it. Just like she bought that garbage.

EDIT: What is you gai's IRC channel?

dino. fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 20, 2013

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

Lum posted:

Same thing with FERPA, I just know that from rants on IRC. Related: Apparently someone in the US with the same first name and first letter of surname as my GF has a child that is currently doing very badly in school, to the point of the school trying to email the parents.

I have my personal email address as : MRmylastname@gmail.com

Emails about children learning classes
Window coating treatments
Drug testing urinalysis appointment times
Bank deposit confirmations

In each case I have sent an email saying that they have reached the wrong person.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mysteryberto posted:

I have my personal email address as : MRmylastname@gmail.com

Emails about children learning classes
Window coating treatments
Drug testing urinalysis appointment times
Bank deposit confirmations

In each case I have sent an email saying that they have reached the wrong person.

I have firstinitiallastname@gmail.com, with my last name being pretty common, and I get probably 5-10 emails a week. Loads of sensitive medical/financial stuff.

mysteryberto
Apr 25, 2006
IIAM

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I have firstinitiallastname@gmail.com, with my last name being pretty common, and I get probably 5-10 emails a week. Loads of sensitive medical/financial stuff.

What the heck there is even a ask/tell about this:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3567666

my favorite:
-I was scolded by the Gay Foreign Service Officers Guam Party Planning Committee for not cleaning up after a party

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I get mistaken emails a lot, too.

Although sometimes it's actually kind of nifty. Somebody signed up for PornHub Premium mobile. The credentials worked, too.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
The most recent one I got was the hymn schedule for a Sunday service at a church in Hawaii. With YouTube links to each hymn.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Lum posted:

Related: Apparently someone in the US with the same first name and first letter of surname as my GF has a child that is currently doing very badly in school, to the point of the school trying to email the parents.

That reminds me on a period a year or so ago when some naval-computing company I've never even heard of put my direct number as their support line. That got me quite a few very odd calls.

"Your computer isn't logging the GPS cordinates when you dump the trawl? Are you absolutely sure you have the right person?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I get other people's credit card statements at my personal email account, in addition to all kinds of random personal and business emails for various people who aren't me. That's what we get for being early adopters, I guess. :v:

Apparently the elderly and otherwise technically non-inclined just assume that if their name is X then X@gmail.com must be their email address. :downs: I wonder if these people ever wonder why they never get the emails they sign up for?

• Locked thread