Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xov
Nov 14, 2005

DNA Ts. Rednum or F. Raf

teethgrinder posted:

I don't know all the song names yet, but it's grown on me significantly with each listen. T+A=$$$ is enjoyable for sure though.

----

Dependence 2013 is on Rdio at today, finally. Waaaaaay down on the new releases section. I think they filter toward the top the more people listen to them.

1. Ghost & Writer - Never Take Fire (Secret Mix)

The overseas carrier pigeon delivered mine a bit over a week ago, and drat, that's a fine title track. I'm constantly reminded how badly I need to get the woofers in my backseat fixed, because when the bass kicks in, woosh. I'm glad we got two Spinath tracks on this. The Mesh contribution is extremely disappointing. I've already got this on the Automation Baby LE and it's one I usually skip.

I'm also constantly tempted to start the CD over all the time, and am usually skipping over the last song. I'm not really a fan of The Cure-sounding stuff. It's too organic for my robot electronic taste.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Got the new VNV album and it's pretty good. After a first listen, it's not as good as Automatic, but I like it a lot more than Matter+Form, Judgement or Of Faith, Power & Glory.

I listened through it 2-3 times, and I can't remember a single track. It's not awful, there's just nothing on the album that seems to define it. It feels all over the place, elements of previous albums everywhere. The latest Covenant album felt a bit the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
I really liked Kloq and was looking forward to the new album. What the gently caress happened there... I think someone finally beat Apoptygma in the "turn to poo poo" category.

edit: The new Laibach EP is a monster. And has that peculiar quality of sounding exactly like typical Laibach songs without sounding much like anything Laibach has done before.

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Oct 17, 2013

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
Holy poo poo, that Eurovision track. :dance: :dance:

W424
Oct 21, 2010
I'm a little late pimpin' this but Protectorate/Cardinal Noire will be playing in Estonia tomorrow https://www.facebook.com/bodymachinebody

I opened the weed megathread and the first post was a bunch of Skinny Puppy videos, oh yeaaah

looking.glass.eyes
May 21, 2007

“The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake.” -Leonardo da Vinci
'Resistance is Futile' is fantastic, new VNV is...acceptable, and new Gary Numan is blowing me away. Is anyone else digging 'Splinter' like I am? 2013, why are you such an amazing year for music?

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

looking.glass.eyes posted:

'Resistance is Futile' is fantastic, new VNV is...acceptable, and new Gary Numan is blowing me away. Is anyone else digging 'Splinter' like I am? 2013, why are you such an amazing year for music?

Splinter is great, but then again I'm a massive fan of Numan's recent work. I will say that the gothy ballads are lost on me a little bit because they meander quite a bit, but the opening tracks are phenomenal!

2013 has been an incredible year for music and there are still a few releases on the horizon that I'm still hyped for!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Some Kinetik Festival lineup goonouncements:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

According to facebook, download is playing that festival too. May 2014 yeah?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Whoa, finally clicked and saw that it's the "Toronto Edition".

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Wow, that's really cool. Is this a one time move or testing out a more permanent move? Also can I say (again) how awesome it is that you're part of Antigen Shift, Twiin, (but where the hell is the promised 2012 album!?). And congrats The Cleaner!

This Morn' Omina is playing? :stare: :stare: :stare:

Gary Numan's really just gotten better and better over the years. Didn't realize he had a new one!

Noricae fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 20, 2013

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
Y'all should go listen to Ohm right now. Chris Peterson and Craig Huxtable. GOOD!

edit: http://www.releasemagazine.net/leaving-babylon-track-by-track-commentary-by-covenant/#more-6242

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 20, 2013

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Does anyone know what the KMFDM set list looks like? They are rolling in through town on Wed, but I saw them last year. If its the same list, I'll skip it probably. I'd like a little more skold era live stuff, but not really expecting it.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Noricae posted:

Wow, that's really cool. Is this a one time move or testing out a more permanent move? Also can I say (again) how awesome it is that you're part of Antigen Shift, Twiin, (but where the hell is the promised 2012 album!?). And congrats The Cleaner!

This is probably a one-time move. They can't find any venues that meet their requirements in Montreal, so they're gonna try Toronto and see what happens.

The new album is on my ipod waiting for final edits and mastering, and then hopefully release. You can hear one of the tracks on this comp, which somehow includes three other bands from Ottawa that will be playing Kinetik.

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
I might have to see if I could swing a trip up to the show.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:

Noricae posted:

congrats The Cleaner!

Thanks Noricae. It should be an interesting show to say the least..

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 21, 2013

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!
My new album that's coming out in December has almost all the tracks up for streaming. Plus a few remixes from Dreams Divide, Art Deko, Garten Der Asche, and Machinista. I'd love to get your input on it both positive and negative.

http://music.juggernautservices.com/album/sun

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

The new VNV nation is really growing on me. The first listen sounded pretty same-y, but there is a lot of depth there that keeps drawing me back.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
I don't remember where I heard about Deadliner, but I'm really digging them.

All but their latest album is free here

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Twiin posted:

The new album is on my ipod waiting for final edits and mastering, and then hopefully release. You can hear one of the tracks on this comp, which somehow includes three other bands from Ottawa that will be playing Kinetik.
Great! Can't wait. I missed that compilation - thanks for linking (an Iszoloscope remix I don't have, woo!). That track's a bit of a departure but it's really good (is d&b coming back yet?).

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Is anyone else digging 'Splinter' like I am?

I was really "meh" about his last two albums but Splinter owns.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Stoddard of Front Line Assembly started a project called Rough Hausen, and it's...surprisingly bad. It's like he's after the juggalo market.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I looked back a few pages but didn't see this brand new Aesthetic Perfection video for Big Bad Wolf.

It definitely sounds like it is from the same album as Antibody. It's catchy enough though.

There are also some remixes on the Bandcamp page. The A23 mix is pretty solid. There's also a mix by :siren:Ashbury Heights:siren: and I have no idea what the next AH album is going to sound like now. I did go to their facebook page though:

Ashbury Heights posted:

I'm gonna say it now so that I can get properly trolled later. 'If you're shooting with the left hand it means the right side is working' is the best song I've ever written.

Edit: Awww yeah

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 29, 2013

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ashbury Heights has been quite active lately, mostly bitching about Cubase. He's responded to me many times though :swoon:

They're nowhere near releasing anything though.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
The new AP sounds like a low rent Ashbury Heights. Not as bad as the Antibody single, but drat how the mighty have fallen. I don't really think it's industrial.:reject:

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Halloween Jack posted:

Stoddard of Front Line Assembly started a project called Rough Hausen, and it's...surprisingly bad. It's like he's after the juggalo market.

I guess Marc Heal can breath a sigh of relief now that somebody has managed to make an industrial side project worse than Ashtrayhead. Holy poo poo. :bravo:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

DeusExMachinima posted:

The new AP sounds like a low rent Ashbury Heights. Not as bad as the Antibody single, but drat how the mighty have fallen. I don't really think it's industrial.:reject:
And yet, "Necessary Response" (I can't get over what a joke of a name that is), was perfectly competent, and pretty drat great for the genre it was emulating.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
idie:youdie singled out bands with "terror" in their name as the latest musical trend that needs to die, but "Adjectival Noun" names need to die a thousand times harder. I like Cryogenic Echelon, but I mean, come on. Your name is Frozen Rank? Did they just pick obscure words out of a thesaurus?

Hedenius posted:

I really liked Kloq and was looking forward to the new album. What the gently caress happened there... I think someone finally beat Apoptygma in the "turn to poo poo" category.
I share your disappointment. They did a few songs that meant a lot to me at a time I was going through some difficult poo poo. Their new album just sounds bland, like they sacrificed their uniqueness to fall in with several other industrial/alt-rock hybrid bands Metropolis is promoting in the past few years. My radio show is on a predominantly "modern rock" station and I'm all in favour of industrial groups taking influence from modern rock, but not when the result is neither-here-nor-there, neither-fish-nor-fowl bands like Dope Stars Inc.

Speaking of which, I cannot even come to grips with people saying that the best industrial is really coming from mainstream hip-hop producers. In fact, I just can't come to grips with Kanye West's new album being a piss-awful piece of crap. I liked My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Yeezus sounds like another in a years-long succession of mainstream hip-hop albums with the latest musical trend dumped on them like a cheap sauce. It's the musical equivalent of a Chili's appetizer, and the lyrics sounds like he was talking in his sleep.

Edit: VVV Great live show, album is still bullshit.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 29, 2013

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of which, I cannot even come to grips with people saying that the best industrial is really coming from mainstream hip-hop producers. In fact, I just can't come to grips with Kanye West's new album being a piss-awful piece of crap. I liked My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Yeezus sounds like the latest in a years-long succession of mainstream hip-hop albums with the latest musical dumped on them like a cheap sauce. It's the musical equivalent of a Chili's appetizer, and the lyrics sounds like he was talking in his sleep.

Really? I don't know how you can watch this and not think that Kanye puts on a better industrial show than industrial musicians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuhl6Ji5zHM

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Halloween Jack posted:

Speaking of which, I cannot even come to grips with people saying that the best industrial is really coming from mainstream hip-hop producers.
I had no idea people were saying that, but this

Twiin posted:

Really? I don't know how you can watch this and not think that Kanye puts on a better industrial show than industrial musicians:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuhl6Ji5zHM
is pretty interesting. Is it more than just Kanye doing stuff like this then? I don't really follow hip-hop.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I looked back a few pages but didn't see this brand new Aesthetic Perfection video for Big Bad Wolf.

It definitely sounds like it is from the same album as Antibody. It's catchy enough though.

I like to think Graves is some twisted genius who created his first two albums just to set up an elaborate troll of the obscure genre that wronged him as a child.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Armor-Piercing posted:

I had no idea people were saying that, but this

is pretty interesting. Is it more than just Kanye doing stuff like this then? I don't really follow hip-hop.

Mykki Blanco:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW_QYpjlpSw

Death Grips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W43aQxzjyeM

El-P:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuYf2-B2wAc

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Skinny Puppy - Live Shapes For Arms 2014

Jan 24 · Santa Ana CA The Observatory
Jan 25 · San Diego, CA House of Blues
Jan 27 · Phoenix, AZ Marquee Theatre
Jan 28 · Albuquerque, NM Sunshine Theatre
Jan 30 · San Antonio, TX Backstage Live
Feb 1 · Houston, TX Warehouse Live
Feb 3 · New Orleans, LA Tipitinas Uptown
Feb 4 · Atlanta, GA Center Stage Theater
Feb 5 · Orlando, FL Beacham Theater
Feb 7 · Miami FL Grand Central
Feb 8 · Tampa FL The Ritz Ybor
Feb 10 · Charlotte, NC Amos Southend
Feb 11 · Silver Spring, MD The Fillmore
Feb 13 · Philadelphia, PA The Trocadero
Feb 14 · New York, NY Webster Hall
Feb 15 · Boston, MA Royale
Feb 16 · Montreal, QC Club Soda
Feb 18 · Toronto, ON Sound Academy
Feb 19 · Detroit, MI The Majestic
Feb 21 · Chicago, IL The Vic
Feb 22 · Minneapolis, MN Mill City Nights
Feb 23 · Lawrence, KS Granada Theatre
Feb 24 · Denver, CO Ogden Theatre
Feb 26 · Salt Lake City, UT Lo-Fi Cafe
Feb 28 · Vancouver BC Commodore Ballroom
Mar 1 · Seattle WA Showbox Market
Mar 2 · Portland, OR Wonder Theatre
Mar 4 · San Francisco, Ca The Fillmore
Mar 5 · Los Angeles, CA Mayan Theatre

Facebook link if you're in to that sort of thing.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Ugh worst venue in Toronto. Especially in February. (It's a pain in the rear end to get to.)

Honestly it's almost enough for me to not want to go.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

teethgrinder posted:

Ugh worst venue in Toronto. Especially in February. (It's a pain in the rear end to get to.)

Thanks for solidifying my decision to go to Montreal from Ottawa instead of Toronto.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

teethgrinder posted:

almost?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

teethgrinder posted:

Goddamnit.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Armor-Piercing posted:

Well, I would think of it this way. Industrial music is constantly influencing other genres. This isn't surprising, as we know that's always been the case (and it's an excuse to share some more interesting stuff!). Hip-hop has long been a place for really out-there sonic experiments. Industrial music has also borrowed quite a bit from hip-hop. A lot of what gives witch house music its distinctive sound is that it combined sounds used in goth music with Houston's distinct down-south, chopped and screwed rap scene.

Dalek is one of the more well-known (and best) crossovers. Here are some others.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7YSNbq2KcQ

^ This is the producer behind Kanye's "Black Skinhead" track. This song isn't hip-hop, but it's about as industrial as it gets while this guy is producing for Kanye West. This video is more subversive than anything being created by awful crap like Combichrist.

Here's the Soundcloud page for "Gucci Goth" DJ BlackBlackGold: https://soundcloud.com/goldecahedron I'd really recommend the second mix, "Online Passion."

These mountain-time rappers from Colorado are one of my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGpUyeVZQ-o

BTW, BlKRHTS' new album is a pay-your-own-price download and it's so good it blows the back of my head off: http://blkhrts.bandcamp.com/album/death-romance-and-the-color-blk

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 30, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
And completely unrelated, but you see it in pop music as well. I'm a huge Lady Gaga fan and I remember her mentioning in an interview on German TV about being inspired by gothic-industrial music she began listening to while touring Europe to support her first album. Then you started seeing songs from her that are just straight-up EBM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8uMXyxvbKA

Not to even mention the aesthetics. The outfits in the "Bad Romance" video are plucked right out of the industrial scene.

A final point about hip-hop and industrial music: I think it's something that needs to influence the industrial music culture more often. And partly I think it should be for ideological reasons as the industrial scene is sadly a very middle-class white scene, and I don't care at all for this reactionary and elitist neofolk music that caters to the most interminably dull and snobby aspects of it.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Oct 30, 2013

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Omi-Polari posted:

Then you started seeing songs from her that are just straight-up EBM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8uMXyxvbKA

Wow hahah that's amazing. It really is.

[edit]

I unironically love Black Skinhead too. Thought I recognised the name and it turns out I had the track name written down in the "notes" app on my phone but never actually listened to it before now. Must have heard it on the radio or something.

Babby Sathanas fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Government Hooker and Black Skinhead are a very industrial song titles. What does neofolk mean in terms of industrial? You've got me thinking of something like Slaughter of the Bluegrass but that can't be it.