Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Durette posted:

Without Remorse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Without_Remorse

Might want to do some curls at the gym before reading it again.

That's it! Thank you. I remember it was part of a high school summer reading list. Good ol' public school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Request from my roommate, a trilogy (possibly more) that he read in middle school around '80.. It was about a young boy who found out that he had some kind of celtic blood and had to fight some "sauron/mordor type of encroaching dark bullshit." He emphasized that the clan or sect or whatever that the kid was part of had a circle+cross emblem, maybe in bronze.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Trying to remember the name of a SF short story. I'll say up front that it's NOT Larry Niven's Inconstant Moon. The story was in a sci-fi anthology and dated to the first couple decades of the 20th Century, if memory serves. It was about light from the far end of the universe finally reaching earth, and it was so powerful, so bright, that it basically fried everything. Our protagonists survive initially, but as the earth revolves around and they are soon to be hit again, it's clear they (and everyone on Earth) are dead.

I remember being really impressed with how modern it felt, both thematically and in its prose, for being nearly 100 years old (which in sci-fi, is an eternity).

edit: took another look at my bookshelf and found the anthology it's in. The story is Finis by Frank Lillie Pollack and was written in 1906. It's really a remarkable story and deserves to be better known.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 3, 2013

Disappointing egg
Jun 21, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Request from my roommate, a trilogy (possibly more) that he read in middle school around '80.. It was about a young boy who found out that he had some kind of celtic blood and had to fight some "sauron/mordor type of encroaching dark bullshit." He emphasized that the clan or sect or whatever that the kid was part of had a circle+cross emblem, maybe in bronze.

That sounds like the Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Hey guys, I can't find even the slightest hint of this book anywhere. I'm looking for a EverQuest book of short stories, one of them is set in the major city and has someone getting killed in a alleyway, another about a Rogue on the run, and another about a guy killing a dragon. I read this many years ago so my recollection may not be correct. Thanks in advance for any help y'all can provide.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hello! Please help me identify this creepy short story from one of those many horror short story anthologies aimed at kids in the eighties like "Tales for the midnight hour" or a similar series.

Here's the setup (possibly warped by ~25 years of memory): a babysitter shows up to watch kids, and at some point burglars break into the house. The sitter takes the kids to hide in a room upstairs (their bedroom?), but before they go in the kids insist on doing a weird little ritual that involves turning around in circles and other stuff like that. I remember the babysitter thinking that they looked "like little Michael Jacksons." She reluctantly does the moves too, and then they hide in the room. As the burglars get to the room, the hiding group hears the sound of a struggle and emerges to find the burglars dead/dismembered/etc. and the twist implies that there was some sort of magic spell or supernatural being or etc. that was protecting the kids because of what they had done.

I've read through all of the story titles and reviews of these types of books on amazon, and I can't find anything.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What's this book/series that I'm thinking of? I don't think it was Clancy, it was more schlocky, less geopolitics, but was so :911:. There was a spec-ops team made up of 9/11 first respondents, who fly around the world thwarting terrorist attacks. At the beginning of the book the arabs have taken over a tall building and are going to blow it up with themselves and all the hostages, including a lot of children (it was Bring Your Child To Work Day?). The heroes fly in disguised as a news helicopter and shoot all the terrorists and disarm the bombs. One of the terrorists completely freaked out because he shot one of the good guys but he didn't die, therefore he was some kind of magical demon (he was wearing body armour).

I might be confusing it with another series, but there might have been a super-awesome cargo ship base that they used, it was ultra high tech but was disguised as a derelict junk pile. And they blew up the navy of Myanmar?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I don't know about the first part of the question, but the junkpile/hightech base was Clive Cussler's Oregon Files series.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Maybe some one here could assist me with remembering the name of a fantasy short story I once read and now need for a course I'm organizing about fictionary worlds (it might have been from the start of the 20th century/late 19th century):
It starts with a knight on his way to slay a terrible dragon and ends shortly after with him being run over by the 'dragon' - which turns out to be a train. The driver further mentions that this happened before while some people in the neighbourhood were seeing ghostly knights in the area.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

It's "The Dragon" by Ray Bradbury, great short story.

Edit: v You're welcome!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 12, 2013

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib
Awesome, thank you very much!

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Hi, I am having trouble remembering the title and the author of this book I read about a decade ago. Also the majority of the plot etc. It's sci-fi/fantasy - the royal family has something in their blood that lets them operate these light swords or something. Almost all of them get massacred by one of their family and it's left to one survivor to do something. It sounds like I'm describing Star Wars but I promise I'm not.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Sounds like the Star of the Guardians, by Margaret Weis. The first book is The Lost King.

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~
Bang on, thank you.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Khizan posted:

Sounds like the Star of the Guardians, by Margaret Weis. The first book is The Lost King.

Wow, that's odd. Even though the plots sound nothing alike, for some reason Pizzaman5000's description immediately caused me to think of a long-ago favorite trilogy* of mine, of which Maragaret Weiss was co-author.

* Third book actually kinda sucked**.
** Lots of people say the whole trilogy sucked, but those people suck.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*
Horror story in an anthology, I think it was towards the end.

Someone goes into a forest, finds a shrine of some sort, freaks the gently caress out, and spindly things chase them away. Not Slenderman, but similar. Sort of like "The Village" except not that. Might have been for kids or teens, because I was around 13 when I read it, but maybe not. Probably pre-2010.

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012
This has been bugging me for a while. I borrowed this Sci-fi anthology from the school library when I was a kid. I think it had a foreword or was compiled by Asimov but I'm not sure. I had never read sci-fi before it and I remember the stories blowing my mind. There are two short stories I remember.

The first one had a scientist who invents a virus(drug?) that amplifies the human sense of smell. The entire world gets infected. This sudden amplified sense of smell leads to the humans becoming aware of a new sentient species living on earth. This species has been living on earth all along and had been peacefully coexisting with the humans as long as they went undetected. But as soon as they realize that their existence has been discovered they turn hostile and attack the humans. There is an all out war between the two. The story was not about the war itself, but surviving the aftermath.

The other one I remember was set in space. The POV character is a multi-limbed alien like creature eking out an existence on an asteroid/rock. Movement is restricted because there is an enormous gravity like force trying to pull him away. He has seen most of his fellow creatures sucked away by this force. Living on the rock meant clinging to the ground for dear life. Eventually he loses his grip and is sucked away. As he is sucked away he sees similar but different creatures inhabiting another rock. But the creatures are different from him. More evolved in some way. There's a big twist at the end where all the creatures turn out to be humans evolved to survive on the debris field of a spaceship accident.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Eyeneedle posted:

The first one had a scientist who invents a virus(drug?) that amplifies the human sense of smell. The entire world gets infected. This sudden amplified sense of smell leads to the humans becoming aware of a new sentient species living on earth. This species has been living on earth all along and had been peacefully coexisting with the humans as long as they went undetected. But as soon as they realize that their existence has been discovered they turn hostile and attack the humans. There is an all out war between the two. The story was not about the war itself, but surviving the aftermath.
This is By Any Other Name, by Spider Robinson - it's in these collections for starters: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?50705

vvv Jinxed! :punch: vvv

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 18, 2013

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Eyeneedle posted:

This has been bugging me for a while. I borrowed this Sci-fi anthology from the school library when I was a kid. I think it had a foreword or was compiled by Asimov but I'm not sure. I had never read sci-fi before it and I remember the stories blowing my mind. There are two short stories I remember.

This might be "By Any Other Name" by Spider Robinson

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Eyeneedle posted:

There was also an expanded, novel-length version of this story called Telempath.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/spider-robinson/telempath.htm

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hmm that reminds me of one I wouldn't mind rereading it's a post apocalyptic society where the apocalypse was a retrovirus that increased everyone's sense of smell by 1000X to the point that you almost instantly went mad just from being in a city and few people could stand to be around anyone who wasn't directly related to them. Anyone recall that one? I think it was by a 'Great' of Sci-Fi maybe Zelazny?

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012

Runcible Cat posted:

This is By Any Other Name, by Spider Robinson - it's in these collections for starters: http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/title.cgi?50705

Thanks. Thats it. Some googling led me to the original anthology 'The Hugo Winners, Volume 4: Thirteen Prizewinning Stories.' And like it was indeed edited by Isaac Asimov.

Captain Equinox posted:

There was also an expanded, novel-length version of this story called Telempath.
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/spider-robinson/telempath.htm

Will be checking this out.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hughlander posted:

Hmm that reminds me of one I wouldn't mind rereading it's a post apocalyptic society where the apocalypse was a retrovirus that increased everyone's sense of smell by 1000X to the point that you almost instantly went mad just from being in a city and few people could stand to be around anyone who wasn't directly related to them. Anyone recall that one? I think it was by a 'Great' of Sci-Fi maybe Zelazny?
Post just above you, dude.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Eyeneedle posted:

Thanks. Thats it. Some googling led me to the original anthology 'The Hugo Winners, Volume 4: Thirteen Prizewinning Stories.' And like it was indeed edited by Isaac Asimov.
I'm not seeing the asteroid story in there, and I wanted to read it :(

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Runcible Cat posted:

Post just above you, dude.

No, there was no alien species, and it ended with revenge on the guy that caused the retrovirus, reading about the post above me is what got me thinking about a similar but distinct story.

Eyeneedle
May 13, 2012

Splicer posted:

I'm not seeing the asteroid story in there, and I wanted to read it :(

Whoops! Sorry. I think that story was from a different anthology. I still have no idea what it was called.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hughlander posted:

No, there was no alien species, and it ended with revenge on the guy that caused the retrovirus, reading about the post above me is what got me thinking about a similar but distinct story.
Short version does end with revenge-murdering the guy who released it though.... I'd be surprised if someone else had managed to sell such a similar story.

Captain Equinox
Sep 15, 2005

By day a mild-mannered college professor, by night Kiki, go-go dancer at the Pussycat Club. But twice a year, he's... CAPTAIN EQUINOX!

Hughlander posted:

Are you 100% sure it's a different story? In the novel, the alien species isn't really alien - they're an Earth species that was undetectable until the virus allowed people to identify them by scent. And the focus of the story isn't the 'war', it's the main character's mission to hunt down the scientist who created the virus.

Other points are just so similar - some people went crazy with the virus; the protagonist's brother killed himself by smashing his head into the concrete because it was too much sensory input for him to handle. And no one lived in cities anymore because of the overwhelming smells.

If it's not the same story, it's just weird that there'd be another with such a similar premise.

edit: ^^ beaten like a rented mule ^^

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I'll track it down, I know I've read Spider Robinson short story books before so it's easily possible in which case sorry for the derail and wasting people's time.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Trying to identify a book I read in middle school 25 years ago. It was a fantasy story about a teenage boy who has to undergo a right of passage where he's abandoned on a planet and has to survive until he is picked up. All I remember is that it starts with him being attacked by a kind of pterodactyl creature.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sweevo posted:

Trying to identify a book I read in middle school 25 years ago. It was a fantasy story about a teenage boy who has to undergo a right of passage where he's abandoned on a planet and has to survive until he is picked up. All I remember is that it starts with him being attacked by a kind of pterodactyl creature.

Sounds kind of like Heinlein's Tunnel in the Sky.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

No, it was more fantasy than sci-fi. It literally starts with the pterodactyl attack and ends with him being rescued.

I remember there's a bit where he has to face off against a ferocious (possibly cat-like) monster that was stalking him, and something about him finding some fruit that can be used to carry water.

Durette
Feb 6, 2012

Sweevo posted:

No, it was more fantasy than sci-fi. It literally starts with the pterodactyl attack and ends with him being rescued.

I remember there's a bit where he has to face off against a ferocious (possibly cat-like) monster that was stalking him, and something about him finding some fruit that can be used to carry water.

I know you're saying not sci-fi, but maybe Double Full Moon Night? It fits the monsters pretty well...

http://books.google.com/books/about/Double_Full_Moon_Night.html?id=S4srAQAAMAAJ

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sounds like it might be Douglas Hill's Young Legionary.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

im a fucking monster

Runcible Cat posted:

Sounds like it might be Douglas Hill's Young Legionary.

YES!

I looked up the plot and it's not quite the way I remembered it, and I had no idea it was part of a series. But I looked up the cover, and that's definitely it. Thanks.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Sweevo posted:

YES!

I looked up the plot and it's not quite the way I remembered it, and I had no idea it was part of a series. But I looked up the cover, and that's definitely it. Thanks.
I'm imagining your avatar yelling that and it's all the reward I need!

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
I'm looking for a short story that I read around 2005 in a scifi anthology.

The story takes place in the modern-day US, I think on the west coast. The protagonist is listening to the weather on the radio as she gets ready for the day, and hears a smog alert. She glances out the window and the sky is a beautiful clear blue, and she remarks to herself that the weathermen are idiots who don't know anything. As she leaves the house she gets eaten by a dragon.

Food Guy
Oct 10, 2012
Okay I've posted this a couple of times now, but I still haven't found it and I think I remember some more details. There is a series of books, I know I have read two of them probably about 7-8 years ago but I don't know if there is anymore to the series. I'm fairly certain the author is a woman.

The basic gist is that there is a society that has been completely cut off from the outside world. There are two types of people, people who have abilities and those that don't. The people that have abilities are pretty much treater like dirt, if I remember correctly, and I am pretty sure that they are segregated. The main character is a teen boy, and he lives with his mother, twin sibilings who are you and I think start to manifest the ability to float or something, his grandmother (I think), and I can't exactly remember what the situation with his father is, he may still be around. He meets a girl who has a flying carpet and, I think, communicates with his sometimes using a wind up scarab, and she also has an ability.

During either the first or second book the boy is given a hat that gives him the ability to change his appearance and he uses this to his advantage a couple of times. At one point in one of the books, there is a like Summer or Winter festival, where everybody gets into the spirit and wears costumes that are pretty much enchanted or something. In one of the books, one of the major plot points is that a couple of people from the outside have made it into the society, and I think want to go back and tell people about it. I remember at one point there were tiny little people who made a living, I think, as like wedding cake decorations, tiny little models that sort of thing. I swear there is plot point involved with a broken clock inside of an old puppet theatre and there is a statue missing from said clock which is a really bad thing for reasons.

EDIT: Looking back, turns out I haven't actually really thought of any new details. But I have been searching for a really long time to try and find this book.

I have another story I have been trying to remember. It is an old sci fi story, probably published in the 70-80s. I'm pretty sure the cover had a person and a insectoid alien on it. If I can remember correctly, a party from a space ship found a small alien baby through some means and decided to, I think, keep it under observations or something.

Food Guy fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Oct 29, 2013

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Mine: An old sci fi story about a dude who discovers aliens exist, and are among us, and ... ? The only clear thing I remember is he had a pen of some sort from where a black sphere came out, and... gently caress, I can't even remember :( He probably had some other sci-fi accessories (maybe a suit?), but it was supposed to be somewhat "realistic". Probably the girl he was involved in was an alien too, or she helped him or something. At the time I thought the story might have been from the 60's. I read it when I was 6 or so, in a pulpy book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miryei
Oct 11, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

Mine: An old sci fi story about a dude who discovers aliens exist, and are among us, and ... ? The only clear thing I remember is he had a pen of some sort from where a black sphere came out, and... gently caress, I can't even remember :( He probably had some other sci-fi accessories (maybe a suit?), but it was supposed to be somewhat "realistic". Probably the girl he was involved in was an alien too, or she helped him or something. At the time I thought the story might have been from the 60's. I read it when I was 6 or so, in a pulpy book.

This is a very long shot, but maybe Menace of the Saucers by Eando Binder?