Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Aurain posted:

The 4th Battle in Restaurant Le Wow's double battle is so lame. How are you supposed to be able to do it in 2 rounds if the Floatzel decides to protect on round 1 and then the Lucario does it on round 2?

Kill the Lucario on round 1 and then the Floatzel on round 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightningKimba
Nov 5, 2010

Unleashing my best...

LUMINARY UPPERCUT!!

Previous Jesus posted:

Is Smogon offline? I can't seem to access it at all.

The site's under heavy traffic or somethin' today, loads of people are having trouble with Smogon at the moment.

Cheesegod
Aug 15, 2001

Offensive Clock

Strange Quark posted:

Would it be easier to trade for Scatterbug and sort by region? I mean, there's going to be much more of a gamble but probably less competition. It's why I always train up the Scatterbug I get via Wonder Trade.

I didn't realize if you got a scatterbug from a different region it would evolve into that regions pattern.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Okay, cool. I guess I'll wait to throw my FC up until I can access it. Wanna get me a Squirtle and Chespin at some point.

Thanks.

e: Oh, okay. Well, if anybody wants to see if I have any Ditto, Audino or starters before I have my full safari, my friend code is 0275-7761-6527. In game name is Soul Glo, mii name is Derek.

It'll be tonight before I can add any FC's, but I'll add anybody who adds me. I think I only have one person on my 3DS friends list as it is.

I'll add you! I'm 4468 2113 9768! Got ground with phanpys, nincadas and palpi toads apparently.

E: whooooaaaa

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Nakar posted:

Feint, apparently. Unless you can OHKO through Protect with it, the restaurants are a complete RNG roll as to whether you can perfect them.

Feint removes Protect/Detect and is priority so you can Feint and hit with whatever else in one turn.

Opinion Haver fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 19, 2013

Previous Jesus
Jun 5, 2013
Man, this is so annoying. I've bred 14 Froakie from a Ditto with 31 Special Attack and Speed IVs holding a Destiny Knot and I still haven't gotten a Froakie with 31 in both.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Sir Unimaginative posted:

I Wonder Traded a Scatterbug two hours in. :ca:

I got a Zoroark! :stare:

... named after r/pokemon. :negative:

Yeah I am nowhere near the Friend Safari but if you really want to wait for the month it'll probably take me to get there:

FID: 3265-5226-6553
FN: Superfly
OT: Superfly

Added you also.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Aurain posted:

The 4th Battle in Restaurant Le Wow's double battle is so lame. How are you supposed to be able to do it in 2 rounds if the Floatzel decides to protect on round 1 and then the Lucario does it on round 2?

I did rotation battle in one of those, and came across one where all three Pokemon knew Protect and one of them had Sturdy.

I had to clear it in six rounds.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

LAY-ZX posted:

I did rotation battle in one of those, and came across one where all three Pokemon knew Protect and one of them had Sturdy.

I had to clear it in six rounds.
The one with Sturdy also has Metal Sound.

But maybe it won't decide to use either! :hurr:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
NEW THREAD RULES
================

This thread is getting a lot of posts about 3DS Friend Codes and who's adding who as a friend and whatnot. This has at times seemed to be getting in the way of other conversation about the games. And it's better suited to the trading thread in Private Game Servers. With this in mind, you are now asked to put all posts that deal solely with friend codes, adding of friends etc. in the PGS thread and/or to keep it in PMs and IRC. Thank you and keep on trading Pokémon.

I will try to repost this on the next few pages to make sure everybody has seen it.

Clarifications:

You can post about Friend Safari, ask what your Friend Safari has etc. You can ask for help regarding Friend Codes if there is something you don't understand or can't get to work, just don't post purely to tell people what your FC is or to ask that somebody add you back. You can add a comment relating to Friend Codes to a post that has other content, but if a Friend-Code-related conversation develops you should try if at all possible to take it to another, more suitable venue.

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski
Why is Friend Safari post-game. I wanna use things with Hidden Abilities in-game. so lame

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

You could always try catching something with its hidden ability in a horde battle!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Has anyone been able to find Tailow? Serebii says it appears on route 8 as a horde, but I've not seen it after fighting dozens of hordes there. Also, there are 0 on the GTS.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Has anyone been able to find Tailow? Serebii says it appears on route 8 as a horde, but I've not seen it after fighting dozens of hordes there. Also, there are 0 on the GTS.

Seen them, didn't bother catching one. They are indeed in horde battles on route 8.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Okay what the hell. I'm trying to get a Contrary Inkay in route 8, and have ran into 5 Inkay so far, but each time I check them with Tail Whip, their stats decrease (meaning they don't have Contrary). Am I missing something?

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME
Oct 9, 2012

by Pipski

Crosscontaminant posted:

You could always try catching something with its hidden ability in a horde battle!

None of the Pokes I want to use are ones that come in hordes, AFAIK. Actually, I was thinking of Skrelp, which you can only get by fishing anyway.
v:frogbon:v

SirPhoebos posted:

Okay what the hell. I'm trying to get a Contrary Inkay in route 8, and have ran into 5 Inkay so far, but each time I check them with Tail Whip, their stats decrease (meaning they don't have Contrary). Am I missing something?

You're just unlucky, unfortunately.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

kharaa posted:

Seen them, didn't bother catching one. They are indeed in horde battles on route 8.

What version are you playing? I've seen 5xWingull and 4xZangoose1xSeviper on X.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
Okay. I think after spending hours near the battle chateaux and the pokebrothel I think I have my final team down. Even as I'm typing this, I still want to change out certain ones.

I have:
Gank the Greninja
Gunk the Toxicroak
Solana the Heliolisk
Barbara the Ferrothorn
Kata the Meowstic
Nova the Charizard

Unfortunately I won't have charizardite x by the time I get to the E4 (if I understand correctly). Heliolisk is amazing btw. As soon as I teach it raindance, most of my team will benefit from it and then its on. Any idea where I may get volt switch and rain dance?

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!
Newbie Pokemon question here: I went to the super training and did Defense and it says it increased my Defense stat by 4. However I went to my Pokemon's summary and looked at its stat and it still reads the same. What happened there? :psyduck:

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

It gained 4 Defense EVs. Four EVs equal one stat point at level 100.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Newbie Pokemon question here: I went to the super training and did Defense and it says it increased my Defense stat by 4. However I went to my Pokemon's summary and looked at its stat and it still reads the same. What happened there? :psyduck:

It increased that EV by 4. 4 EVs = 1 stat point at level 100.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Super Training gives Effort Value points, not straight up stats. 4 EV equals to 1 point in a stat at level 100.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

CaptainPoopsock posted:

Super training increases EVs. They aren't 1:1, at level 100 4 EVs is equal to one point in that stat, you'll have to pump a lot of points into a stat to make it show. It does make a difference though, especially late game, so if you enjoy the super training mini-game have at it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

BAKA FLOCKA FLAME posted:

You're just unlucky, unfortunately.

FINALLY got one.

Naming it Cthula :j:

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Someone in here earlier was looking for Rufflets -- I've got some, if you still need them!

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
"Hey maybe I'll check out that Pokemon reddit see what its like"

First two links:

I am a 25 year old man who just paid 200+ dollars to get the new pokemon game. My friends have shunned me... Looking for acceptance and support. (1343 comments)

To the 25 yearr old whos friends shunned him. I'm 28, the last Pokemon I played was yellow on the original game boy. I walked in to EB games and asked for a 3ds xl and Pokemon Y like a boss. I'm 6'6" and 300lbs, no regrets!

nah ill stick to this thread

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

cancerianmoth posted:

Okay. I think after spending hours near the battle chateaux and the pokebrothel I think I have my final team down. Even as I'm typing this, I still want to change out certain ones.

I have:
Gank the Greninja
Gunk the Toxicroak
Solana the Heliolisk
Barbara the Ferrothorn
Kata the Meowstic
Nova the Charizard

Unfortunately I won't have charizardite x by the time I get to the E4 (if I understand correctly). Heliolisk is amazing btw. As soon as I teach it raindance, most of my team will benefit from it and then its on. Any idea where I may get volt switch and rain dance?

If you picked Charmander from the professor it's already holding Charizardite. Volt Switch is post-game at the Maison (iirc?) but I think all weather TMs are sold at one of the Pokémon Centers earlyish on.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

SirPhoebos posted:

My first Inkay was Contrary, all the rest have been Sucker or whatever it's called. I'm genuinely stoked, this guy looks awesome. Not to mention Malamar.

What Inkay nature should I be looking for? Also: this may be a fairly large question, but I've got no breeding experience whatsoever - If I want to take that Inkay, for example, and breed it to potentially get a better Nature but keep its ability the same, what exactly do I have to do?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I don't know if anyone's been keeping track, but I can state for the record that Phantump does NOT learn Baton Pass (or Amnesia) as egg moves. I was really hoping I could finally have an Ingrain passer that isn't Smeargle.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

strangemusic posted:

My first Inkay was Contrary, all the rest have been Sucker or whatever it's called. I'm genuinely stoked, this guy looks awesome. Not to mention Malamar.

What Inkay nature should I be looking for? Also: this may be a fairly large question, but I've got no breeding experience whatsoever - If I want to take that Inkay, for example, and breed it to potentially get a better Nature but keep its ability the same, what exactly do I have to do?

Hope for a better nature that also has the same ability. If you get one with a good nature but the wrong ability pop an everstone on it so its kids have the same nature and breed it again until you get one with the right ability.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Constable Lemon posted:

I don't know if anyone's been keeping track, but I can state for the record that Phantump does NOT learn Baton Pass (or Amnesia) as egg moves. I was really hoping I could finally have an Ingrain passer that isn't Smeargle.

An ingrain/leech seed/pass set would be so great, too.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

What version are you playing? I've seen 5xWingull and 4xZangoose1xSeviper on X.

X.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Anyone found the upper edge of the Battle Chateau yet? I've got Dukes/Duchesses that range from level 45 to 55, I can't imagine that's the end though. It would probably say so if you hit max rank when you tried to leave. Let me fight a full team of level 60 Audinos, game.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Huh?

E: Thanks for whoever suggested evolving Helioptile.

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 19, 2013

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

Kill the Lucario on round 1 and then the Floatzel on round 2?

They both have protect and just do it whenever they want. They don't have a move order.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

If you picked Charmander from the professor it's already holding Charizardite. Volt Switch is post-game at the Maison (iirc?) but I think all weather TMs are sold at one of the Pokémon Centers earlyish on.

I chose Venasaur. Though I may go back because I bred a Modest one during my Chateau stay and Venasaur with Thick Fat?!! :getin:

e: I also just got a timid Larvesta off of Wonder Trade. Um... goodbye Charizard. Hello death moth.

cancerianmoth fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 19, 2013

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
Should I go Wartortle or Greninja?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

holy gently caress dude timg is your friend

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Average Bear posted:

"Hey maybe I'll check out that Pokemon reddit see what its like"

First two links:

I am a 25 year old man who just paid 200+ dollars to get the new pokemon game. My friends have shunned me... Looking for acceptance and support. (1343 comments)

To the 25 yearr old whos friends shunned him. I'm 28, the last Pokemon I played was yellow on the original game boy. I walked in to EB games and asked for a 3ds xl and Pokemon Y like a boss. I'm 6'6" and 300lbs, no regrets!

nah ill stick to this thread

I'm kind of surprised this even happens. Either people I know are all about Pokemon or they are indifferent. I mean hell I stopped off at Gamestop the other day after work to trade in some games and two of my friends happened to be there picking up Pokemon. That Awkward Zombie comic is so true to life is ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainPoopsock
May 2, 2005

My dear cherry blossoms.. bloom in full splendor!

The Moon Monster posted:

It increased that EV by 4. 4 EVs = 1 stat point at level 100.

Thanks! Can you explain this a bit further? I did super training which gave me 4 EVs and not straight-up stat increases. When you say "at level 100" what does this mean? When my Pokemon is level 100, and I only train 4 EVs in Defense I will see one stat increase?*

*This is only my second Pokemon game and my first time hearing about EVs!

• Locked thread