Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.

The Hebug posted:

You should try it with maraschino liqueur instead of orange liqueur and more vermouth. PDT goes 1:1 gin:vermouth for what it's worth. A really great way to enjoy a good vermouth.

I'm just not a fan of cherry anything to be honest, but next week I'm going to the liquor store to get some Laird's Apple Brandy and Green Chartreuse, while I'm there I'll pick up the maraschino liqueur since apparently it's in 2000 cocktails.

I've never had a Last Word or a Diamondback. I intend to remedy this ASAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I know what I just made has to have a name already, but google is failing me right now.

1oz Reposado Tequila
1oz Cointreau
1oz Sweet Vermouth

I basically used a recipe for a Martinez and subbed in Tequila, and it's fantastic.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

rxcowboy posted:

I'm just not a fan of cherry anything to be honest, but next week I'm going to the liquor store to get some Laird's Apple Brandy and Green Chartreuse, while I'm there I'll pick up the maraschino liqueur since apparently it's in 2000 cocktails.

I've never had a Last Word or a Diamondback. I intend to remedy this ASAP.

Maraschino really isn't cherry flavored. The bulk of the flavor is from the pits and stems, which give it a nutty, somewhat funky aroma. The standard cherry-flavored liqueur is Cherry Heering, which is good, but maraschino is better.

uncle spero
Nov 18, 2011

Bobby couldn't make it...
'till he went fun-truckin'!
A simple drink I reverse engineered from a long-gone martini bar in Hoboken, NJ.

3oz Vodka
1 oz spicy tomato juice
dash tobasco

Shake over ice, strain and serve in salt-rimmed up-glass.

Sort of a bloody Vodkatini, but real tasty on a cold night.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So I was gifted a bottle of this Gin, so I decided to make a variation on the Aviation with it, called the Bush Pilot (Cause it's a Northern Canada Aviation joke...)

Anyways, here it is

1.5 oz Ungava
1 oz Lemon Juice
1 oz Maraschino Liquer
A couple drops of maple syrup (I used maple flavoured agave instead).

Shake, strain into a martini glass. I like it, and I think the maple adds just the right touch to it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Been tweaking this Old Fashioned recipe and think I have it dialed in. I made the orangecello in the recipe but store bought should work

5-6 dashes orange bitters
2-3 Luxardo maraschino cherries + 1 barspoon of the syrup
1 orange slice

Muddle in a rocks glass then add:

.75 oz orangecello
1.5oz Bulleit Rye

Stir, add ice, and top with club soda.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

golgo13sf posted:

Been tweaking this Old Fashioned recipe and think I have it dialed in. I made the orangecello in the recipe but store bought should work

5-6 dashes orange bitters
2-3 Luxardo maraschino cherries + 1 barspoon of the syrup
1 orange slice

Muddle in a rocks glass then add:

.75 oz orangecello
1.5oz Bulleit Rye

Stir, add ice, and top with club soda.

Can you really taste the rye in that? 2-3 cherries and a whole barspoon of heavy syrup is a lot of sugary cherry flavor. Orange bitters plus orange slice plus orangecello is going to make anything taste like just orange to me. The Angostura orange bitters I use are overpowering after 2 dashes. I prefer an old fashioned to taste mainly like the base liquor (rye, bourbon, etc.) with just a hint of the sweetness and fruit essences.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

JewKiller 3000 posted:

Can you really taste the rye in that? 2-3 cherries and a whole barspoon of heavy syrup is a lot of sugary cherry flavor. Orange bitters plus orange slice plus orangecello is going to make anything taste like just orange to me. The Angostura orange bitters I use are overpowering after 2 dashes. I prefer an old fashioned to taste mainly like the base liquor (rye, bourbon, etc.) with just a hint of the sweetness and fruit essences.

I taste it, but of course adjust to your own taste.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

please dont muddle stuff into your old fashioned's

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I mean if he's using orangecello (which is just an orange infusion right? or is it a liqueur?) and orange bitters I feel like it's his own drink now.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah, I mean do whatever the hell you want when it comes to drinks. Go nuts. Just be careful doing things to the Old Fashioned, and still calling it an Old Fashioned. One of those things is the well documented "wrong" way to make one and it involves muddling cherries and orange peel. Like JewKiller said, an Old Fashioned is a drink that is all about the whisky you're putting in it. You want that whisky to shine through, not to be an afterthought in an orchard of smashed up things and syrupy liqueurs.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

nrr posted:

Yeah, I mean do whatever the hell you want when it comes to drinks. Go nuts. Just be careful doing things to the Old Fashioned, and still calling it an Old Fashioned. One of those things is the well documented "wrong" way to make one and it involves muddling cherries and orange peel. Like JewKiller said, an Old Fashioned is a drink that is all about the whisky you're putting in it. You want that whisky to shine through, not to be an afterthought in an orchard of smashed up things and syrupy liqueurs.

Hmm, should I listen to a random internet poster or Dale Degroff? From The Essential Cocktail, blow me

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

nrr posted:

A notable exception: http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2012/brandy-old-fashioned/

e: badger avatar c-c-c-combo

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

So, anyways, what do people think of my Aviation Varient up there?

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I thought it was pretty widely accepted that there were two old fashioned's. The first being the original sans fruit and club soda and the second being the new old fashioned with a loving Carmen Miranda fruit basket in it. I'm a bigger fan of the original, but the new version does have it's place in hot weather.

Confession time: Until today I'd never had a real Margarita. I...I fixed that.

1 and 1/2 parts Reposado Tequila
1 part Cointreau
3/4 part Lime Juice
Salted rim of a martini glass

It's so good. It's so loving good. What in the hell did I drink before in lovely bars and the Caribbean? It's so good, so simple but the flavors come shining through. Everything is so perfectly balanced, as good as...

Cocktail Number 2: The Chapel Hill

1 and 1/2 parts Evan Williams Single Barrel 2003
1 part Cointreau
1/2 Part Lemon Juice

It's the best whiskey sour you've ever had. The bourbon shines through, the Cointreau adds a clean orange note without overpowering the bourbon profile and the lemon gives a nice citrus edge. It's brilliant. It's just loving brilliant.

Assuming I'm not completely in the bag later, going to make my first gimlet.

Tomorrow I'm going on the hunt for some Creme de Violet and Green Chartreusse so I can make an Aviation and Last Word.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

golgo13sf posted:

Hmm, should I listen to a random internet poster or Dale Degroff? From The Essential Cocktail, blow me

aren't you just adorable.

marmot25 posted:

A notable exception: http://www.jeffreymorgenthaler.com/2012/brandy-old-fashioned/

e: badger avatar c-c-c-combo
Yeah, the Brandy Old Fashioned is a completely different drink (as Jeffrey states in that article) and is likely to blame for the confusion about doing things not meant to be done to a drink that was originally made as a way to enhance and enjoy your whiskey. Muddling cherries and peels in an old fashioned became trendy around the 80s/90s and was never a part of the original way the drink was made around 150+ years before that.

Mr DeGroff claims that an old fashioned without fruit is, "just sweetened whisky," and uses that argument to try and justify adding muddled fruit, but unfortunately that doesn't really fly. A dry martini, (which Degroff himself calls the "ultimate classic cocktail") is *just* gin with a touch of vermouth, but these drinks are so much more than just a sum of their parts. The beauty of so many classic cocktails lies in their subtle complexities and most of all, their simplicity. Trying to say that simplicity is a flaw is pretty shortsighted and I think it's one of Degroffs rare mistakes.

The idea that there is or should be a "new" old fashioned is pretty funny. Like I said before, go nuts with your drinks and do whatever you want. Experimenting is fun and leads to awesome new things. But no matter how bad you want it to be true, you can't just invent a new old way of doing something.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

My image of a proper Old Fashioned is with a lemon slice, orange slice, and cherry skewered and placed atop the glass. Not inside it. You DO muddle... the bitters and the sugar.

Oh crap. I guess that means my next experiment is barrel-aged Old Fashioned.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
If anyone comes up with a viable way to barrel age cocktails at home let me know so I can age the poo poo out of some Manhattans.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Barrels I got are from http://oakbarrelsltd.com/

They're 2L so pretty small and affordable as far as barrels go. Still working my way through the barrel-aged Manhattan from my earlier post, it's pretty good except I must have gone a bit too heavy on the vermouth. The barrel-aged Negroni is a bit meh, then again I wasn't a massive fan of Negroni to begin with.

If anyone has suggestions for other things to age, I'm all ears. I have a "gin barrel" and a "whiskey barrel" now that I've made manhattan and negroni, then again it could be interesting to mix things up with other bases as well. I might just get some white whiskey and... make it not white. Also been meaning to make my own spiced rum at some point.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 18, 2013

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

rxcowboy posted:

If anyone comes up with a viable way to barrel age cocktails at home let me know so I can age the poo poo out of some Manhattans.

Check this out: http://manmadediy.com/users/chris/posts/2697-how-to-make-diy-barrel-aged-cocktails-at-home-no-barrel-required

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

My roommates want me to get back into Tiki mixing but goddamn that is a lot of work to keep up. I was buying limes and mint almost every day last time. Have you ever juiced a pineapple? It's sort of a chore.

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, anyways, what do people think of my Aviation Varient up there?

Looks decent! I don't know why you would use maple-flavored agave though – maple syrup is definitely vegan, and I have to assume vegan concerns are the only reason people would use agave nectar except in tequila drinks.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Because I have maple agave syrup at home and no actual maple syrup. I got it as a promotional item last time I bought tea.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
I thought I'd post my latest go-to cocktail for advice and maybe an idea for a name for it.

1/2 portion Rye Whiskey
1/2 portion Brandy
Splash Benedictine
Splash Maple Syrup
Splash Campari
Splash Absinthe
2 drops Angostura Bitters

Typing it out it kinda looks like too many components, but I keep making them. It's really just a modified Vieux Carré with elements of a Sazerac. I kinda think I'm not a huge Vermouth fan, but maybe I just need to broaden my horizons and buy a different brand than Martini. I find that melding a sweet base with Absinthe is quite divine.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Kenning posted:

My roommates want me to get back into Tiki mixing but goddamn that is a lot of work to keep up. I was buying limes and mint almost every day last time. Have you ever juiced a pineapple? It's sort of a chore.

Looks decent! I don't know why you would use maple-flavored agave though – maple syrup is definitely vegan, and I have to assume vegan concerns are the only reason people would use agave nectar except in tequila drinks.

Point One: https://commercial.vitamix.com/Products/Beverage-Blenders/Barboss-Advance I made a lot of Piña Coladas this summer. 2HP goes a long way with twice-frozen barrel ice. Straining it is a bitch, though.

Two: Agave starts with a different kind of sugar which is then later converted to fructose during the roasting process. There are those who believe your body processes it differently than sucrose or fructose, and want it either because they think it'll make them skinnier or won't gently caress with their glycemic levels as wildly as most sweet drinks. They are both wrong, for the same reason.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

For Tiki Drinks, I do prefer canned Pineapple juice. I swear however I use fresh Lime Juice. Especially since my margarita machine has a built in juice that lets it get up to 15 mpm.

Also, like I said, I didn't buy the agave. I was given it with a tea purchase. I just figured I could use it in cocktails.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

nrr posted:

aren't you just adorable.

Yeah, the Brandy Old Fashioned is a completely different drink (as Jeffrey states in that article) and is likely to blame for the confusion about doing things not meant to be done to a drink that was originally made as a way to enhance and enjoy your whiskey. Muddling cherries and peels in an old fashioned became trendy around the 80s/90s and was never a part of the original way the drink was made around 150+ years before that.

Mr DeGroff claims that an old fashioned without fruit is, "just sweetened whisky," and uses that argument to try and justify adding muddled fruit, but unfortunately that doesn't really fly. A dry martini, (which Degroff himself calls the "ultimate classic cocktail") is *just* gin with a touch of vermouth, but these drinks are so much more than just a sum of their parts. The beauty of so many classic cocktails lies in their subtle complexities and most of all, their simplicity. Trying to say that simplicity is a flaw is pretty shortsighted and I think it's one of Degroffs rare mistakes.

The idea that there is or should be a "new" old fashioned is pretty funny. Like I said before, go nuts with your drinks and do whatever you want. Experimenting is fun and leads to awesome new things. But no matter how bad you want it to be true, you can't just invent a new old way of doing something.

I always just assumed a Brandy Old Fashioned was always just a "regular rear end old fashioned with some brandy" which I made once with Remy and found to be extremely delicious.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Vegetable Melange posted:

Point One: https://commercial.vitamix.com/Products/Beverage-Blenders/Barboss-Advance I made a lot of Piña Coladas this summer. 2HP goes a long way with twice-frozen barrel ice. Straining it is a bitch, though.

Two: Agave starts with a different kind of sugar which is then later converted to fructose during the roasting process. There are those who believe your body processes it differently than sucrose or fructose, and want it either because they think it'll make them skinnier or won't gently caress with their glycemic levels as wildly as most sweet drinks. They are both wrong, for the same reason.

Oh I have a juicemaster or whatever sort of thing like that. I use it for juicing ginger for ginger beer. But if you just chuck a pineapple in there you end up with a smoothie – you can't strain out the tiny bits of pulp. Same thing with like a blender. I developed a technique for extracting clear juice from a pineapple, it's just a bitch.

bunnyofdoom posted:

For Tiki Drinks, I do prefer canned Pineapple juice. I swear however I use fresh Lime Juice. Especially since my margarita machine has a built in juice that lets it get up to 15 mpm.

I doubt very many people have actually had freshly-pressed pineapple juice. It's really some next level poo poo. The canned stuff is distinctly flat and metallic in comparison.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I've been drinking a lot of "Pancho Villa Manhattans" lately.

Large square ice cube soaked in orange bitters, a sugar cube, and Siete Leguas reposado

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So I have a question on juices. How much is it a sin to use premade juices? I'm not talking a dash of lime/lemon/orange where you cut a segment and squeeze, more pineapple or grapefruit or whatever. Should I just buy the full thing and deal with it or it cans of pineapple + juice acceptable? Basically, how far can you go premade before it becomes poo poo?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Well, for grapefruit there's the issue of seasonal availability. Most places don't have access to white grapefruit year-round, and that's the type you're generally going to want to use in cocktails. So bottled juice is fine in that cast. With respect to pineapple, there is a considerable difference between fresh and canned juice. That said, if you juice a pineapple properly you'll get somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 cups out of it, so it usually only makes sense if you're gonna be Tiki mixing.

Look, it's all about what you care about versus what is possible. I think everybody who likes mixing should try doing everything fresh, when possible, at least a couple times. Once you get a sense for your own effort to result ratio you can settle into your habits.

But seriously, just trying juicing a pineapple for the sake of drinking fresh, creamy, zingy pineapple juice. It's pretty special. Just make sure you don't have any cuts on your hands first, cause there are enzymes in pineapple juice which will start to digest your wounds.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
I want to second the idea that there are two versions of the old fashioned. I am a big fan of Difford, and he list two versions, the classic version and the US version.

Old Fashioned (Classic)

2.5oz bourbon
0.5oz sugar syrup
3 dash angostura bitters

Old Fashioned (US)

2 whole Maraschino cherries & syrup
1 slice Fresh orange (cut into eight segments)
2 shot Maker's Mark bourbon
⅛ shot Maraschino syrup (from cherry jar)
¼ shot Sugar syrup
2 dash Angostura Aromatic Bitters

MUDDLE orange and cherries in base of shaker. Add other ingredients, SHAKE with ice and fine strain into ice-filled glass.

Devoz
Nov 18, 2006
Also, http://www.diffordsguide.com/cocktails is a really underrated resource for people getting into drink making.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.
I' going to the orchard tomorrow and getting some awesome apple cider. I want to make a good fall drink with it. I have bourbon and rye and rum, thoughts on what abomination I can make?

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

rxcowboy posted:

I' going to the orchard tomorrow and getting some awesome apple cider. I want to make a good fall drink with it. I have bourbon and rye and rum, thoughts on what abomination I can make?

The stone fence is a good option. Comes from Jerry Thomas' How to Mix Drinks.

2 oz bourbon
4 oz apple cider
Optional:
Barspoon lemon juice
Barspoon ginger juice (I usually sub ginger liqueur)
Mix in a glass on ice, no strain needed

tynam
May 14, 2007

The Hebug posted:

The stone fence is a good option. Comes from Jerry Thomas' How to Mix Drinks.

2 oz bourbon
4 oz apple cider
Optional:
Barspoon lemon juice
Barspoon ginger juice (I usually sub ginger liqueur)
Mix in a glass on ice, no strain needed

Wow that sounds... surprisingly good. Definitely going to have to try that sometime, especially with the ginger.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

For hard cider I'd go for a stone fence. If it's a softer variety, you should consider inviting a couple people over and having a batch of Flaming Bishop. I try to make at least one Flaming Bishop every year, it's always a treat.

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
Realizing tonight, that I have tequila and light rum, things I practically never have, along with Gin, Vodka, and Grand Marnier, which I almost always have.. I decided it was time to try and make my own Long Island Iced Tea.

Equal parts of all 5 alcohols mixed with equal part lemon juice, coke, and a little sweetener.. its pretty crazy how good this actually is. Certainly a lot better than the long island iced tea I recall from years ago, when that was a thing to order. There's nothing subtle about drinking almost 4 oz of booze with a splash of lemon and coke.. but dammit, it was tasty.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

:(

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

I wouldn't use coke and a sweetener (coke IS the sweetener, and all you need is a tiny dash to colour it - and lets just forget you said grand marnier and mentioned some sort of triple sec instead) but a well made Long Island is a great drink for a night out and I... I will, uhh... I will fight anyone who disagrees with me! Even if there is, uhhh, 4 of you all of a sudden... in the same outfit...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt. Awesome
Jun 17, 2005
¡orale vato!
Yea, you're definitely right.. both was overkill. It wasn't overly sweet, just a little more than I like personally. Most recipes called for Coke AND Simple Syrup, so I went with it. I realize Grand Marnier <> Triple Sec, but it still worked out well enough. Probably oughta pick up some Cointreau to add to the cabinet.

Regardless, it was still a tasty drink! :)