Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

He is hardmode only, but other than that it sounds like you should have him moving in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It needs to be an above ground mushroom biome, not something you find in the caverns.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
You in hardmode?

-efb-

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm in hardmode now. I planted my mushroom biome on top of the desert.

Estel
May 4, 2010
If you just started hard mode break some altars to make the new ores appear. For me he always has appeared after breaking some altars.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
My base is pretty high up, which is both good and bad. Good because the Destroyer had trouble getting to my sky bridge. Bad because wyverns and harpies kept bothering me during the fight. I managed to make a Masterful Crystal Storm, which basically meant I could poke my head over the edge of my bridge, rain death on the Destroyer, who couldn't shoot up at me, then run along my bridge to kill the orbs for mana.

Made the pick from the Hallowed bars, went to get the jungle ore, almost got a full armor set + sword made. Going with magic helm first because magic seems like it's gonna be most useful. Got a Mana Flower made, too. I've got a Mechanical Eye, so I can summon the Twins whenever I feel ready, but I need more Daybloom for potions.

I hate the gravitation potion change. I can't use that poo poo in boss fights. Completely screws me up, so air battles aren't gonna happen. Gonna need to look up boss arena designs for the Twins. I only vaguely know what they do (One does fire, one lasers, right?) and I've heard you want an arena with walls of some type to block the shots. What do you fellas use?

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb
I just jump around and dodge (almost) everything the bosses shoot. Wings and lightning boots are required.

e: except for the Destroyer, which I facetank because the drones drop enough hearts to survive and I get to pierce more of it that way.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 19, 2013

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
5 minutes to get a corruption key, 60 to get vitamins.
What the hell is this poo poo?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

MR. J posted:

Jeebuz, I haven't earned any of the keys, and I have three vitamins drops. I'm still looking for more pieces for my Ankh Charm, though.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

MR. J posted:

That was kind of exactly how it went for me, too. Take solace, the Scourge of the Corruptor is fantastic.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Ornedan posted:

I just jump around and dodge (almost) everything the bosses shoot. Wings and lightning boots are required.

e: except for the Destroyer, which I facetank because the drones drop enough hearts to survive and I get to pierce more of it that way.

Actually just made wings before quitting! Demon Wings, since it was all I had the mats for.

My jungle is being rapidly devoured by the Crimson. It kinda angled straight through it. Should I be worried?

Also, while I beat the Destroyer, the Destroyer still managed to beat me. My keyboard's D key died not long after my last post. :v: Even in death The Destroyer is an rear end in a top hat!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

I got the Picksaw on my first Golem kill. It was way easier than I thought that it was going to be.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'
I'm new to the game and I found something that looked cool when I was exploring underground, so I hit it. First with a pickaxe, and when that did nothing, a hammer. It then hit me for 50 health. It was some sort of red glowing thing that, upon close examination in torchlight, looked something like a red face sticking out of a wall. What is this thing, and is it going to eat me and/or destroy my base because I have angered it?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

subhelios posted:

I'm new to the game and I found something that looked cool when I was exploring underground, so I hit it. First with a pickaxe, and when that did nothing, a hammer. It then hit me for 50 health. It was some sort of red glowing thing that, upon close examination in torchlight, looked something like a red face sticking out of a wall. What is this thing, and is it going to eat me and/or destroy my base because I have angered it?

You found a crimson altar! You can use it to craft boss-summoning items. It has further use after you've beaten the big hellboss; the Guide will tell you when it's time for that. It's not dangerous, save for cutting your health in half if you try to break it.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Tenebrais posted:

You found a crimson altar! You can use it to craft boss-summoning items. It has further use after you've beaten the big hellboss; the Guide will tell you when it's time for that. It's not dangerous, save for cutting your health in half if you try to break it.

That sounds cool, but it also sounds like something I am not going to be able to use for a long while. I don't even have a real base yet, just a small room made of stone with a rope up to it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm currently replaying the game and am almost back to the end of the 1.0 content (i've just built an obsidian generator and will grab some hellstone to make the Hell armour), but what do i do after that?

I know i'm to kill a new boss in hell which then activates hard mode and spawns the new biomes.

I've read that these boims spread and wreck your base, so i've separated it from the rest of the world by a 3 block wide layer of wood (i'm sure i read that's what you're supposed to do. I also read that there are base destroying clowns that appear and that I should shield my base with a 3 block deep wall of dungeon brick, which i'm going to do now.

Is that right though?

Can someone summarise the next steps? Like which ores/armors do i build, then which bosses do i kill and how do i summon them and in which order does it need to be done?

Also, my lava duplicator seems to have bugged out. I'm using the inlet/outlet valve trick and the "flow" of the lava has frozen in midair and isn't producing any more. IS there a way to fix this?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Clowns don't blow buildings up any more, so dungeon brick is unnecessary. The new biomes can spread, both on the surface and through underground stone or sand, and a 3-block-wide barrier will block it. However, only Corruption/Crimson will actually break your base; your base can exist in Hallow just fine.

Once you've beaten the hell boss, use the item it drops on demon/crimson altars. This will spawn the new ores. A Hellstone pick will be able to mine one of them, then you'll need to make a pick (or drill) of that to mine the next tier. There are three tiers.

In Hardmode, the three mechanical bosses will sometimes attack you at night until you defeat them. Summoning items for them will also occasionally drop randomly, again until you defeat them. You can also craft summoning items yourself - ask the Guide about lenses, rotten chunks, vertebrae or bones to see how.
Of the three, the Destroyer is probably the easiest because it has many segments and is susceptible to piercing. The Twins are probably the hardest because they are highly mobile. You can fight them in any order, though, and you'll be able to make useful gear from the drops of any of them. The third tier of the new ores is reccommended to have a fighting chance, as well as other items and equipment from the new content across the world.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Kin posted:

Can someone summarise the next steps? Like which ores/armors do i build, then which bosses do i kill and how do i summon them and in which order does it need to be done?

Also, my lava duplicator seems to have bugged out. I'm using the inlet/outlet valve trick and the "flow" of the lava has frozen in midair and isn't producing any more. IS there a way to fix this?

The Wall of Flesh boss in Hell will drop a new hammer. In hardmode, use that hammer to destroy demon altars. Every time a demon altar is destroyed, veins of one particular hardmode ore will spawn. In order of increasing power, the ore will be cobalt/palladium, mithril/orichalcum, and adamantite/titanium. Start with the weaker ores and work your way up, focusing on improving your drills first.

The Destroyer is probably the first boss you'll fight and defeat, although all of them will randomly spawn from time to time.

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Hardmode

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It's also worth noting that beating a hard mode boss will slow the spread of hallow/corruption/crimson to almost nothing. Plus you can easily undo any environmental changes with a special gun you can buy from a certain NPC.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SourceElement posted:

It's also worth noting that beating a hard mode boss will slow the spread of hallow/corruption/crimson to almost nothing. Plus you can easily undo any environmental changes with a special gun you can buy from a certain NPC.

Actually, beating one of the old mechanical HM bosses (Twins, Destroyer, Skel Prime) apparently speeds it up, whereas killing Plantera or Golem is what slows it to an inconsequential state.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

KataraniSword posted:

Actually, beating one of the old mechanical HM bosses (Twins, Destroyer, Skel Prime) apparently speeds it up, whereas killing Plantera or Golem is what slows it to an inconsequential state.
Not to mention that beating a Mechanical boss means a chance of a Solar Eclipse the next day.

BFS Update: I'm done with the hilt! :toot: About halfway done with the blade, too. Pics coming up in just a bit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

The Lone Badger posted:

Who do I have to sacrifice to get Truffle to spawn? I've built him a nice little house made entirely of mushroom (apart from the light source, haven't found a mushroom-based light yet)

Maybe try putting a normal light in the house?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

The Leper Colon V posted:

Not to mention that beating a Mechanical boss means a chance of a Solar Eclipse the next day.

Holy poo poo I never knew this. Dang that makes them even more rare.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Big post about pretend sword bases incoming!

Here's the entryway, where the hilt meets the blade. I'm gonna be lining more cool banners along that ceiling. Once I run out of room, I'll be picking and choosing but for now, if it's not already up there, it goes up! You can see my EoC trophy from this shot, too.

The blade is made of Tin Wall, the inside is Grey Brick, and the hilt is made of Green Brick and Green Tiled wall. Knocking down the above-ground portion of the dungeon gave me almost all the material I needed for that. (Which I had to find in another world, this world's is pink.)

Rest of the hilt. I'll be putting more trophies along the hilt with the EoC one, once I start getting some. My "rare/valuable items with no immediate use" tend to go into the upper chest, sorted by category. (Paintings, materials, clothing, furniture, etc.)

The World Spawn dumps you in the big room. The sign says "Welcome to the BFS! Help yourself to whatever you need from the chest. Exit's up above." The chest has some iron armor and tools, and a few stacks of torches and potions. It mostly exists in case I ever decide to take this world online.

Below that, empty space! I've been focusing on the outer parts of the blade more, so this area still lays mostly neglected. Not sure what I'll do with it. Some of it's almost certainly gonna be storage, but aside from that...

More empty space! It's called the Big loving Sword for a reason.

My base at the base. Also, more empty space that I don't know what to do with. You can see the blade-in-progress really well here.

And here's the whole thing for scale/the OP.

It's also really starting to look pretty fuckin' sick on the minimap.

Work to still be done
Finishing the Blade is priority 1. Which means I'm gonna need a lot more tin.
After that, I'll probably finish the inside, get everything solid, so I can go hardmode without worrying about contamination.
Once that's done, I'll slowly be converting each of the generic apartments to match its occupant. For now, though, I've got enough to do. :effort:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 19, 2013

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

That's awesome and I may have to steal your idea. That must have taken alot of tin and stone to build.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Starhawk64 posted:

That's awesome and I may have to steal your idea. That must have taken alot of tin and stone to build.
So much tin. :negative:

And a fuckoff lot of stone, too, but it's not like it's hard to find stone.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

How often have you guys been getting eclipses? I've only gotten two in the 50ish hours I've logged since the update... and only one broken hero sword out of those :smith:

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Hummingbirds posted:

How often have you guys been getting eclipses? I've only gotten two in the 50ish hours I've logged since the update... and only one broken hero sword out of those :smith:

I've had one in about 60 hours since the patch. Eclipses are bullshit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hummingbirds posted:

Did you make a lava trap? That's a pretty good way to get them.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Hummingbirds posted:

I had three in a row once, with a bloodmoon thrown in for good measure. :derp:
I just wanted to build! :negative:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Map view of my work in progress flying dragonboatfort. Not sure I'm happy with the tail and wing/sail.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I keep struggling with the toughest boss in the game, the 'Be satisfied with your buildings/towns' boss. Trying to build something functional, aesthetically pleasing and integrated into the surrounding landscape continues to elude me.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

King Doom posted:

Not sure I'm happy with the tail and wing/sail.

Perhaps you could make the tail curl more and have the wings look like they are mid-unfurling? drat cool idea overall, I have to say.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That feeling when you get a Warding Obsidian Shield on the first try. :toot:

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
I'll one up that by saying I got an unreal tactical shotgun on my first reforge attempt.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much

The Leper Colon V posted:

That feeling when you get a Warding Obsidian Shield on the first try. :toot:

Warding Ankh Shield on the first try :c00lbutt:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I've been busy with the sword; I haven't even reached hell yet. :eng99:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I put a reasonable amount of effort into getting something and if the RNG fucks me then I just add it in via TEdit. I put AFK farming and such on the same level of 'not doing it right' so at that point I might as well just save myself the effort. I spent like 4 hours trying to get an Inferno Fork and then just added it in, gently caress it.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I'm the same. I admire the ingenuity of some farming setups, but I hate the fact that they are necessary (in any game)

Some things are plain daft too. I've just edited in some leaf wings rather than engage in the pointless busywork of moving the wizard to the jungle at night time. That's either terrible design, or the wiki is trolling me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

I'm the same. I admire the ingenuity of some farming setups, but I hate the fact that they are necessary (in any game)

Some things are plain daft too. I've just edited in some leaf wings rather than engage in the pointless busywork of moving the wizard to the jungle at night time. That's either terrible design, or the wiki is trolling me.

The wizard? I'd read it was the witch doctor.

• Locked thread