Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

That was kind of exactly how it went for me, too. Take solace, the Scourge of the Corruptor is fantastic.
Except this corruption is artificial and the map does not have a corruption chest. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

MR. J posted:

Except this corruption is artificial and the map does not have a corruption chest. :negative:

Keys work regardless of the world you use them in. Just make another world.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Akett posted:

The wizard? I'd read it was the witch doctor.

Yeah witch doc, I mixed them up

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

The Leper Colon V posted:

I've been busy with the sword; I haven't even reached hell yet. :eng99:

Honestly for such a huge project, it would be better to go to another world, make a quick hellevator, kill the WoF with the gear you have now and work towards getting the Golem's Picksaw. Or at least a Drax. The amount of time you would save by having the better, faster pick drastically outweighs the effort to get there. Especially if you can get a steampunker and buy two teleporters and teleport into the jungle temple. The Golem is arguably easier to beat than all the other hardmode bosses, if only because a small platform negates about 90% of having to dodge him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hummingbirds posted:

How often have you guys been getting eclipses? I've only gotten two in the 50ish hours I've logged since the update... and only one broken hero sword out of those :smith:

They're pretty rare, don't be discouraged.

The wiki says they only have a chance to happen after nights where you kill a mechanical boss but I'm sure if that's true.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

RatHat posted:

The wiki says they only have a chance to happen after nights where you kill a mechanical boss but I'm sure if that's true.

You may have misinterpreted it, the eclipses won't occur until you've killed a mech boss, but afterward every day will have a chance to be an eclipse.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Some things are plain daft too. I've just edited in some leaf wings rather than engage in the pointless busywork of moving the wizard witch doctor to the jungle at night time. That's either terrible design, or the wiki is trolling me.

Why not just build a small jungle biome for him? It's no harder than the Truffle. He doesn't have special products for other biomes, so there's no reason for him to not be in a jungle (as opposed to, say, the Painter or Steampunker).

Azurius
Oct 31, 2010

Leaping to victory!

SourceElement posted:

Also need some awesome bases for that section! (If I put your screenshot in the OP, please let me know so I can properly give credit where it's due! I just grabbed screenshots without looking to see who they belonged to :negative:)

This one is by Koramei and myself.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

Tenebrais posted:

Why not just build a small jungle biome for him? It's no harder than the Truffle. He doesn't have special products for other biomes, so there's no reason for him to not be in a jungle (as opposed to, say, the Painter or Steampunker).

I'm lazy I suppose. The mushroom only got a house by mistake really as he moved into a temporary house I used to put my spawn bed in earlier.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Akett posted:

You may have misinterpreted it, the eclipses won't occur until you've killed a mech boss, but afterward every day will have a chance to be an eclipse.

That's what I thought at first but when I went back to look at it...

"Solar Eclipse Wiki page posted:

There is a 1/25 (4%) chance of a solar eclipse instead of any normal day, but only after killing a mechanical boss in the last night. A solar eclipse starts at sunrise and ends when night begins (lasting for 15 minutes), similar to the Blood moon event that ends when day begins. Solar Eclipses can only occur in Hard Mode.

Who knows how accurate it is though. I'll keep my eyes open and see if the next one I get comes after a boss or not.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I got one without killing any mechanical bosses, so. I dunno.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Some things are plain daft too. I've just edited in some leaf wings rather than engage in the pointless busywork of moving the wizard to the jungle at night time. That's either terrible design, or the wiki is trolling me.

You can just buy a jetpack off the Steampunker until you get the bits to make your own cool wings :confused:

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Yeah, I got one but the leaf wings fly higher. Well they seem to anyway.

lesbian at Evergreen
Aug 9, 2006

SourceElement posted:

Like two weeks ago I said I was gonna update the OP. I just finished making a bunch of changes to it, so if anyone sees anything they'd like to add or change, let me know.

Also need some awesome bases for that section! (If I put your screenshot in the OP, please let me know so I can properly give credit where it's due! I just grabbed screenshots without looking to see who they belonged to :negative:)

Not to toot my own horn but *cough cough*

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

No, you're right, leaf wing is probably the strongest set you can get barring cheating in a couple other options. And you don't have to go through the trouble of grinding for it, so I think it's a good exchange for being a bit difficult to initialize.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
What is the smallest amount of blocks needed to make an artificial biome?
Could I make a minimum sized house for the witch doctor, and then plant mud floors with jungle seeds?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Paladins do not mess around. Got hammer-pasted for my first death since fighting Plantera underground with zero preparation. Then got like three more deaths. I eventually had to switch from Vampire Knives (too often absorbed by the Paladin's buddies in my skeleton pit) to Spectre Armor with Golden Shower and every minion I've got.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Brekelefuw posted:

What is the smallest amount of blocks needed to make an artificial biome?
Could I make a minimum sized house for the witch doctor, and then plant mud floors with jungle seeds?

150 for jungle, although IMO it's easier to just build a shack for the witch doctor somewhere in the jungle and move him back after you get what you need.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

palamedes posted:

Paladins do not mess around. Got hammer-pasted for my first death since fighting Plantera underground with zero preparation. Then got like three more deaths. I eventually had to switch from Vampire Knives (too often absorbed by the Paladin's buddies in my skeleton pit) to Spectre Armor with Golden Shower and every minion I've got.

Megashark with chlorophyte bullets trivialises them. They can't attack if they're under constant bombardment.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

Yeah, there are different tiers of wings. The Demon and Angel ones are the worst and the Flame/Ice/Ghost/Leaf wings are the best. Well, the Steampunk ones are actually the best but you can't get those without cheating yet. I think this is all really dumb though, and there should either be a wing social slot or all wings should be made equal.

And moving the Witch Doctor to the Jungle is not hard at all. You just need to make a house there, assign him to it, and then wait until night and go buy the wings.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
PGS has nothing, but I decided I want to start up a new server fresh for 1.2 shenanigans. Anyone else interested or recently started?

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Megashark with chlorophyte bullets trivialises them. They can't attack if they're under constant bombardment.

Does clorophyte shot pierce like meteor shot? If so hell yeah. My issue was with their blue armored and flaming buddies getting in the way of attacks long enough for hammers to start flying.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Anatharon posted:

PGS has nothing, but I decided I want to start up a new server fresh for 1.2 shenanigans. Anyone else interested or recently started?

I've never really played this game before, but don't really want to play solo. I'd love to Mumble with goons and play together and get some fresh tips.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So The Twins random spawned on me. Now, I've never fought them before, and the only advice I've heard that I remember is 'only burn down one at a time.' My sky bridge is unfinished and really short, and when I got the message, I knew I wouldn't have time to go home and grab my potions. So I was left to try and fight a battle I knew I couldn't win with only three normal healing pots and not a lot else.

I did get the flame-spewing one down to where he had transformed. I dunno if their HP restores at that point or if they get to like 10K HP and you just have to burn them down as fast as possible from there. But it really wasn't bad. Once I get my bridge built a little more and get enough potions for it, they probably won't even be an issue. I was out-running them most of the time. I kind of worked out how to deal with them when I needed to turn - jumping up high seemed to temporarily confuse them so I could run the other way without having to run toward one of them. Any other tips I should know?

Need something ranged to switch to when my magic runs out. Working on a Megashark, but I'm too broke to buy another Minishark at the moment, so that's out for now. I kinda feel like Meteor Shot isn't cutting it anymore. I've got a few Silver Bullets from somewhere, but not a lot. I do have a lot of crystals lying around, should I convert them over to ammo?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Oh God, just put on 3 Menacing Emblems and a Menacing Mech Glove, then Fought the Twins in Shroomite. 78% increased damage on an Unreal Tac Shotgun with Chlorophate bullets. Sure I almost died, but it took maybe 50 shots to take them both down. I can see that being more Viable on multiplayer servers, where you've got mages to heal you, because holy poo poo you just exploed everything with that setup.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

rodney mullenkamp posted:

150 for jungle, although IMO it's easier to just build a shack for the witch doctor somewhere in the jungle and move him back after you get what you need.

I think this is changed. I have a very small floating platform for my witch doctor, I just counted and it is 37 blocks long and 2 blocks thick. It creates the biome just fine. Took me about a minute to build.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Ashsaber posted:

Oh God, just put on 3 Menacing Emblems and a Menacing Mech Glove, then Fought the Twins in Shroomite. 78% increased damage on an Unreal Tac Shotgun with Chlorophate bullets. Sure I almost died, but it took maybe 50 shots to take them both down. I can see that being more Viable on multiplayer servers, where you've got mages to heal you, because holy poo poo you just exploed everything with that setup.

Er, 3 copies of the same accessory stack? I didn't think they did.

EDIT: Do you mean that you used the Ranger, Avenger and Destroyer emblems?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

RatHat posted:

That's what I thought at first but when I went back to look at it...

Who knows how accurate it is though. I'll keep my eyes open and see if the next one I get comes after a boss or not.

I took a peek in the code - you need to have beaten a mechanical boss and it must be hard mode, other than that it's just a flat 1 in 25 chance. Defeating a boss the prior night doesn't have any bearing on it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Anatharon posted:

I've gone through most/all of the new 1.2 content, but I'd love a new character server with other goons. Playing the early/mid-game with others is really fun :)

and I don't have any real-life friends that are cool enough dudes to play Terraria :negative:

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.
Hey guys sorry if this is asked too much, but NPC's don't seem to want to move in to my cool underground lair. Can anyone tell me why?

I have over 50 silver in my inventory so I'd at least expect the merchant to move in, and the Nurse, but I don't even see my guide.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The dirt wall. Smash that out and replace it with something.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Huh, my minimap seems to be acting up on me. There's a section of my world where the map will display some terrain until I get near, at which point it will show the area as only the back wall. It happens to stone, dirt, mud, torches, everything in the area. I can get some of the blocks to show up if I move my wisp through them, but it only fixes small bits of the area and it doesn't stop whatever causes the problem in the first place so the bits go away quickly. Another problem is that above the area I have a bunch of lihzard walls that show up as sky.

The only explanations I can think of are that the world is 1.0, the area is sea level, or that it's directly below the world spawn. It isn't a huge problem, the actual terrain works normally while I'm there, but it's somewhat disconcerting.

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

Zereth posted:

The dirt wall. Smash that out and replace it with something.

Oh, weird, I remember reading that you could use dirt wall. Thanks!

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
You can, but it has to be placed by a player. Natural walls won't work.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Bone posted:

Hey guys sorry if this is asked too much, but NPC's don't seem to want to move in to my cool underground lair. Can anyone tell me why?

I have over 50 silver in my inventory so I'd at least expect the merchant to move in, and the Nurse, but I don't even see my guide.

I think they dont like the dirt walls? Did you try clicking the house icon on the inventory screen and clicking a room?

beatn

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

RatHat posted:

Er, 3 copies of the same accessory stack? I didn't think they did.

EDIT: Do you mean that you used the Ranger, Avenger and Destroyer emblems?

The latter. If I could use three Ranger Emblems I would be squeezing out 88% damage, 91% if I also replaced the Gloves, 110% with 5.

Oh boy, That would be ridiculous overkill, wouldn't it.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

Yermaw Zahoor posted:

You're correct, they are higher. Wings breakdown like this:

Tier 1 - Angel/Demon (106 ft)
Tier 2 - Jetpack (120 ft)
Tier 3 - Bee/Butterfly (134 ft)
Tier 4 - Bat/Harpy/Bone (144 ft)
Tier 5 - Flame/Leaf/Frozen/Ghost (162 ft)

Add 40 ft. to each of those if you have lightning boots. And steampunker is better than all these, but you cant get them yet without cheating.

Way earlier in the thread somebody wondered what it would be like to have a warrior, avenger, destroyer emblem, and a mechanical glove and a fire gauntlet, all with Menacing (+4% damage). It took a while but:

Annnnnd its not worth it at all, of course. Without any accessories, my godly paladin hammer does 127 dmg and has a 27% crit chance (turtle armor/chloro helm). With all these on, it does 208 dmg and has a 35% crit chance. Very few non-boss monsters can survive just one crit hit from this thing.

The reason its a silly gimmick though is because I have no movement speed, take damage from falls, have knockback from enemies, and my def went from 93 to 69. Its fun if you have a set up for it and you can basically stay in one space without worrying about falling though. I have yet to try it on a boss, think I'll try the destroyer and see how fast I can wreck it.

e: <30 seconds :stare:

Logan 5 fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Oct 20, 2013

Bone
Feb 15, 2007

We're boned.

Optiquest posted:

Did you try clicking the house icon on the inventory screen and clicking a room?

:aaaaa: It's been a long time since I played this game, thank you for pointing this out.

e:

RatHat posted:

You can, but it has to be placed by a player. Natural walls won't work.

Oh okay, thanks for clarifying!

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Logan 5 posted:

The reason its a silly gimmick though is because I have no movement speed, take damage from falls, have knockback from enemies, and my def went from 93 to 69. Its fun if you have a set up for it and you can basically stay in one space without worrying about falling though. I have yet to try it on a boss, think I'll try the destroyer and see how fast I can wreck it.
e: <30 seconds :stare:

Can't you grapple to something to prevent knockbacks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Based slightly on another goon's underground base, this is a Cavern of Solitude sealed in the living rock. The pressure plate visible in the dirt to the left triggers a large group of activators that turns off most of the dirt and rock to the left of it, leading to my hellevator. Although the hellevator itself is now mildly obsolete, since the teleporter also connects to Hell.

Fun fact: Teleporter pads can accept up to six unique connections, since the blue, red, and green wires can overlap and the pads are three tiles wide. Connecting them all to appropriately-distinguishable switches is the hard part.

• Locked thread