Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm really proud of myself for my stupid Fun-guy's mushroom house.

It's a Super Mario Mushroom made out of Mushroom Biome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Leper Colon V posted:

I'm really proud of myself for my stupid Fun-guy's mushroom house.

It's a Super Mario Mushroom made out of Mushroom Biome.

Is there a reason you didn't make it out of mushroom?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
There aren't actual mushroom blocks iirc, just furniture and walls.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

RatHat posted:

There aren't actual mushroom blocks iirc, just furniture and walls.
Actually, you can place glowing mushrooms and they turn into a block! And mine back into a mushroom. :eng101:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Zereth posted:

Actually, you can place glowing mushrooms and they turn into a block! And mine back into a mushroom. :eng101:

They're basically like Wood now, and can be used as such in a number of recipes (furniture and backwalls, mostly).
If you ever need a vast number of glowing mushrooms take a loaded clentaminator to the surface jungle on a new world. The mahogany trees convert into bigass mushroom trees.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I have killed the Moth four times and haven't gotten its feather analogue once. It's supposedly a 50% drop rate. :(

I just want pretty butterfly wings. :(

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

They're basically like Wood now, and can be used as such in a number of recipes (furniture and backwalls, mostly).
If you ever need a vast number of glowing mushrooms take a loaded clentaminator to the surface jungle on a new world. The mahogany trees convert into bigass mushroom trees.

Oooh, I like that idea. I don't really need mushrooms as such, but I love how those mega-shrooms look.
Does it have the same music on a surface mushroom biome as the underground one? I love the music in those.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zereth posted:

Wha.. I... that's... but...

...they don't glow in the dark. :colbert:

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How do people here do their man-made biomes? Do you just create floating boxes away from the main settlement, or do you section off a part of the surface for it? Trying to decide what's safest for the residents of my town.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
Mushroom biomes need to be a ways away or they will darken your little village and make it a pain in the rear end to do anything.

This game is way too dark sometimes and its frustrating.

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 20, 2013

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

QuantaStarFire posted:

How do people here do their man-made biomes? Do you just create floating boxes away from the main settlement, or do you section off a part of the surface for it? Trying to decide what's safest for the residents of my town.

Speaking of this, I'm trying to create a Crystal Shard farm by creating some artificial hallow, so I went down to the first layer change and made a box of pearlstone which according to the wiki should do it...but no crystals are spawning. Can they still be farmed or is that not a thing and should I give up on it?

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Leper Colon V posted:

Wha.. I... that's... but...

...they don't glow in the dark. :colbert:

They do so! :eng101:

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Is the wiki the best thing to work through when trying to figure out what the hell I'm mean to be going in this game? I've only ever played it once before, for a couple of hours.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tindahbawx posted:

Is the wiki the best thing to work through when trying to figure out what the hell I'm mean to be going in this game? I've only ever played it once before, for a couple of hours.

If you're looking to know what to do next, talk to the Guide in-game. If you're looking to know how to do something, consult the wiki. That's my advice.

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
I never found the guide much help personally. Alt tabbing to the wiki, or the odd youtube video was the way for me.
Whatever you do though avoid the terraria online forums, they are the worst

s1ppycup
Jul 31, 2010
I made something kinda morbid out of boredom. Mouse over for lovely animated GIF:

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Tenebrais posted:

If you're looking to know what to do next, talk to the Guide in-game. If you're looking to know how to do something, consult the wiki. That's my advice.

My guide died before I knew what the hell I was doing (I still don't, not really).

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

So, I'm steadily (and very slowly) working my way through 1.2.
I'm weary of starting hardmode, because my jungle is sandwiched between two stretches of Crimson. I don't want the jungle eaten. What are my options?
Does Crimson still eat jungle, do I need to dig it clean (with the possibility of the WoF shoots a stretch of Crimson through it) or what?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

subhelios posted:

My guide died before I knew what the hell I was doing (I still don't, not really).
Make him a house, and he'll respawn! (Don't ask.) At least 6 tall x 10 wide, counting walls, ceiling and floor, with a back wall. It'll also need either a door, or one-way platforms as a way to enter/exit. Wood's a good starting material. Put a torch, chair, and workbench or table in there. That's now valid NPC housing. Stack a bunch of them together, and you have a village, and more dudes will show up.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Anatharon posted:

PGS has nothing, but I decided I want to start up a new server fresh for 1.2 shenanigans. Anyone else interested or recently started?

I'd like to get in on this. The goon friend I was playing Terraria with stopped to play the new Pokemon all the time, and I'm not going to build the sky village I was planning on if I have to do it in solo mode. That's no fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
So much extra stuff, but still no option to automatically mine out player-size tunnels like Darkout has. :sigh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Cardiovorax posted:

So much extra stuff, but still no option to automatically mine out player-size tunnels like Darkout has. :sigh:

The console version does it, too. I wish there was a toggle key or something to automine on PC :(

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Holy diamonds, batman :stare:

Time to upgrade my staff! I have Aqua Scepter, but the staves are nice for longer range.

So, this is my hardcore character. I've cleared out Crimson, Dungeon and Jungle (killed one Queen Bee and got a Bee Gun :dance:, still need to find temple entrance). Heading to Hell now to gather materials/raid some chests. I'm quite a bit afraid of killing WoF, as on a previous mediumcore char both Destroyer and Twins spawned on their own just a couple nights after triggering hardmode, when I was anything but ready to fight them. Any advice for minimizing the risk?

So far I have:
  • Full crimson/meteorite/soon hellstone sets.
  • All pre-hardmode Jungle craftables
  • Spells: Aqua Scepter, Crimson Rod, Bee Gun, Diamond Staff, Water Bolts, Magic Missiles
  • Accessories: using: Lightning Boots, Obsidian Shield, Mana Flower, Horseshoe Balloon, Panic Necklace (most forged as +3/+4 armor, but I don't have a lot of gold). In stash: Climbing Gear, more Mana Flowers, Cobalt Shields, Bezoars, Nazars, one Band of Regeneration

One of my issues is money: I don't have enough to reforge everything to the state I'd like. What's the easy way to farm now?

My MO for hardmode prepping is:
  • Prepare a fortified house, because right now it's not protected at all save some wired stone enclosures.
  • Prepare a boss arena, with nurse and a buff potion chest. I'll probably set my spawn there initially so if a boss appears on its own I can mirror there immediately. I have one heart and one star statue so those will help a bit.
  • Obtain a minishark (Maybe? Is it still worth it?)
  • Make a Star Cannon? Would need to farm more stars though, is it worth it?

I'm still thinking of what to do after triggering hardmode itself. Main concern is the time pressure of bosses that could spawn on their own. I don't know what the chances of that happening are, but I had it happen very soon after triggering hardmode. So probably the first thing is to get better armor ASAP, but that can be a pretty dangerous thing on its own if you can't die.

Fakeedit: I've checked the code and (spoilers for hardmode events)
it seems bosses can only spawn if you're underground? :v: And the chance for boss spawn is 10% each night for every mechanical boss you haven't killed yet.

Code: http://pastebin.com/D63PR8wP

With that info I can probably gather ores without much worry. Just need a clock. Killing multiple WoFs for drops is a good idea as well (it can spawn at daytime, right?) I've only seen a bit of 1.2's hardmode before, so this will be fun. More hardcore hardmode trip records on the way!

Yermaw Zahoor
Feb 24, 2009
Holy spoiler overdose batman :stare:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ideally, your first stop after you start Hardmode should actually be the Truffle's house, and then the Ice Biome while it's raining. Ice Golems only spawn during that area's specific weather, and drop pieces of the Frost Armor, which is better than 2/3s of the armor you can get from mining ores. Just be careful, the fuckers have eye lasers that freeze you.

EDIT: Forgot the most important part. :downs:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 20, 2013

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Well yeah, probably noone cares about spoilers at this point anymore. :v:

DoublePLayer
May 6, 2008

by Shine

omeg posted:

Fakeedit: I've checked the code [for when bosses spawn] and (spoilers for hardmode events)
it seems bosses can only spawn if you're underground? :v: And the chance for boss spawn is 10% each night for every mechanical boss you haven't killed yet.

Code: http://pastebin.com/D63PR8wP

I don't think this is correct, as I've had bosses spawn while I was farming wyverns for their souls.

Also, you're crazy for going hardcore, shine on, you crazy diamond. :downsrim:

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hey, I finally found Plantera's spawn flower! I've got jungle ore armor finally, I've got potions, I'll give him a shot! I go down, I break it, I start fighting. It's a fairly open area, I figure at the very least I could focus on how he moves, how he attacks, what he does, and--

"You feel the air getting colder around you..."

Dammit. Had to warp back home and let Skeletron Prime kill me. Didn't have the potions for him after dancing with Plantera, anyway. Plantera barely lost 5K HP. I'm in full jungle-ore armor, I've got a nicely-modded Crystal Storm and the jungle-ore claymore to fall back on and I went in fully buffed. Even remembered to tap the crystal ball before I left home.

Dunno how much better I can get as far as armor and weapons. Only the turtle armor's got more defense, right? I'm working on a Megashark, I just don't have the money. Closing in on max HP. Just need a few more Jungle Fruit. These random boss spawns are happening about every four or five days. Really taking away my desire to play. I can't get much higher as far as gear goes. Should I just stand in the Crimson and try and farm a Key so I can get the Vampire Knives or whatever they're called, or did that get nerfed at some point?

tl;dr: Hard mode is frustrating. :(

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

DoublePLayer posted:

I don't think this is correct, as I've had bosses spawn while I was farming wyverns for their souls.

Also, you're crazy for going hardcore, shine on, you crazy diamond. :downsrim:

Welp. Well, Terraria's code is a pretty much one giant coding horror so :v: We'll see how it goes.

Edit: I've read the code backwards. Bosses spawn if you are over the world surface. So staying underground for a night should be a safe option.

omeg fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 20, 2013

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Angry Diplomat posted:

The console version does it, too. I wish there was a toggle key or something to automine on PC :(
Really, I have no idea why this hasn't been a thing for years now. Redigit has to be aware how completely annoying and frustrating excavating large spaces is to most people.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

Well, that's a bit close for comfort. :ohdear:

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

omeg posted:

Well, that's a bit close for comfort. :ohdear:

Go ahead, use your Vilethorn. :unsmigghh:

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Do items ever degrade? I picked up this Godly Staff of Summoning, and its proving to be ridiculously handy for keeping monsters at bay while I say, dig a hole to stop myself from drowning.

Is there more NPC's aside from the guide? How do I entice them to stay in my cellar?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Not on their own, no. Ending up with a lovely prefix when reforging is a different story, though. :v:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tindahbawx posted:

Is there more NPC's aside from the guide? How do I entice them to stay in my cellar?

You will need to build them homes - enclosed spaces with back walls, a door or platform entrance, some sort of table, some sort of chair and a light source. The house symbol on your inventory screen will help you identify whether a place is suitable housing.

Each NPC has their own criteria for turning up, but you should have some new ones arrive pretty quickly if you've been doing any exploring at all.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

ChibiSoma posted:

Hey, I finally found Plantera's spawn flower! I've got jungle ore armor finally, I've got potions, I'll give him a shot! I go down, I break it, I start fighting. It's a fairly open area, I figure at the very least I could focus on how he moves, how he attacks, what he does, and--

"You feel the air getting colder around you..."

Dammit. Had to warp back home and let Skeletron Prime kill me. Didn't have the potions for him after dancing with Plantera, anyway. Plantera barely lost 5K HP. I'm in full jungle-ore armor, I've got a nicely-modded Crystal Storm and the jungle-ore claymore to fall back on and I went in fully buffed. Even remembered to tap the crystal ball before I left home.

Dunno how much better I can get as far as armor and weapons. Only the turtle armor's got more defense, right? I'm working on a Megashark, I just don't have the money. Closing in on max HP. Just need a few more Jungle Fruit. These random boss spawns are happening about every four or five days. Really taking away my desire to play. I can't get much higher as far as gear goes. Should I just stand in the Crimson and try and farm a Key so I can get the Vampire Knives or whatever they're called, or did that get nerfed at some point?

tl;dr: Hard mode is frustrating. :(

If you get the message that "Tonight is going to be a terrible night" or whatever, you can save and quit, then reload the world. You'll lose anything dropped on the ground obviously, but this will prevent the boss from spawning. You have about 30s to a minute to do this before the boss shows up.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

These random boss spawns are happening about every four or five days. Really taking away my desire to play. I can't get much higher as far as gear goes. Should I just stand in the Crimson and try and farm a Key so I can get the Vampire Knives or whatever they're called, or did that get nerfed at some point?

Vampire Knives is one way to go, but they let you face-tank every boss in the game so it might take some of the fun out of it. Here's another way:
- Drop by the Crimson and get 30 ichor for a Golden Shower. You might even get a key doing so. The -20 armor debuff it gives makes the Crystal Storm/Megashark more effective.
- If you want to afford a Megashark quick, the Destroyer is the way to go. Dominate him with either your current method or with the Golden Shower. Sell the souls, craft the hallowed bars into Gungnirs and sell those. Enjoy the platinum coins.
- Build a long flat surface to fight Twins and Skeletron on. You don't need a world-spanning skybridge, a few hundred blocks will do. Put on your best Spectre or Lightning Boots, run and gun, tag them with the Golden Shower every time they stop glowing yellow, jump over them and switch direction when you hit the end of the road.
- Plantera is nasty in close quarters. Dig a shaft to the surface before you pop the bulb and make him follow you to the aboveground jungle. The fight is similar to the mech bosses, but he's a bit slower so long flat surface is less necessary (but still useful).

You can do it! I managed to kill all the mech bosses like this with Hallowed/Golden Shower/Megashark and I'm not great at video games. Key farming is a last resort, especially because there's always a chance you'll luck into a key doing something else. I got my frozen key while farming 30 ichor and my jungle key while hunting Plantera bulbs.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

DelphiAegis posted:

If you get the message that "Tonight is going to be a terrible night" or whatever, you can save and quit, then reload the world. You'll lose anything dropped on the ground obviously, but this will prevent the boss from spawning. You have about 30s to a minute to do this before the boss shows up.

Can't you just stay underground and totally ignore the boss? Generally I just kept mining or whatever I was doing and forgot about it entirely until I died for some other reason, then ran out to quickly die again to the boss before any NPCs died (with like 6 hearts after spawning it doesn't take long) and it was over.

Presumably you could just stay underground until morning, also?

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Lakitu7 posted:

Can't you just stay underground and totally ignore the boss? Generally I just kept mining or whatever I was doing and forgot about it entirely until I died for some other reason, then ran out to quickly die again to the boss before any NPCs died (with like 6 hearts after spawning it doesn't take long) and it was over.

Presumably you could just stay underground until morning, also?

Nope, if it's spawned via a message at the beginning of the night, it will come for you no matter where you are. You could probably outrun it if you have a huge asphalt highway or the Rod of Discord or something, though. I've done that before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

palamedes posted:

- Plantera is nasty in close quarters. Dig a shaft to the surface before you pop the bulb and make him follow you to the aboveground jungle. The fight is similar to the mech bosses, but he's a bit slower so long flat surface is less necessary (but still useful).

This worked for me the first time but the last two times I tried, plantera kept despawning as I ascended. loving annoying. I was careful to stop and let it catch up often. I'm pretty happy with my summon/magic weapons so I figure it's not worth the hassle to get the Pygmy staff anyway if it's going to be so loving hard to get plantera to the surface.

• Locked thread