Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Brett824 posted:

I'm pretty sure taunt has better distribution than there are viable spinblockers.

It does, but that's a huge oversimplification. Scizor can run this, and taunting a Scizor is a dangerous gamble. Crobat is fast as gently caress and hard to Taunt. Mew is pretty fast also, and is also a hard Taunt prediction. I wouldn't be surprised if Talonflame gets this, which gives him priority (since it's Flying). There's a few other less radical things that get it, like Mandibuzz, but I don't think just saying that Taunt is scary is enough to say Defog isn't going to do poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
I love that my favorite Pokemon is bulky heatran.

Fairy types :frogout:

Edit : you too, aegislash

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Doesn't Blastoise still get Rapid Spin? Or were you referring to Taunt instead? (The last time I played against another player I wasn't old enough to drink so I don't follow any of this.)

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Countblanc posted:

It does, but that's a huge oversimplification. Scizor can run this, and taunting a Scizor is a dangerous gamble. Crobat is fast as gently caress and hard to Taunt. Mew is pretty fast also, and is also a hard Taunt prediction. I wouldn't be surprised if Talonflame gets this, which gives him priority (since it's Flying). There's a few other less radical things that get it, like Mandibuzz, but I don't think just saying that Taunt is scary is enough to say Defog isn't going to do poo poo.

Mew doesn't get Defog since it's not an HM anymore, unfortunately. For OU relevant pokemon it's just Scizor, Crobat and potentially Talonflame or Hawlucha.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Aurain posted:

Also this, punching Ice isn't going to end well for you and Ice is made of water, it makes no sense for Water to do regular damage to it.

Try telling this to The Karate Kid :colbert:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

WrightOfWay posted:

Mew doesn't get Defog since it's not an HM anymore, unfortunately. For OU relevant pokemon it's just Scizor, Crobat and potentially Talonflame or Hawlucha.

Teach Mew Defog in DPPt, send it to HG/SS so that you're allowed to transfer it to Gen V, send to Pokemon Bank, collect in Gen VI.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

WrightOfWay posted:

Can't you transfer from Gen 4 to 5, and then 5 to 6?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I just don't get why ice has no resists. Every other type at least resists something, but not ice. So on top of all those weaknesses, even the types ice is strong against can still hit for neutral damage. At the very least, steel doesn't need to hit it for super effective damamge.

I wish rock would also lose a weakness or two.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Internet Kraken posted:

I just don't get why ice has no resists. Every other type at least resists something, but not ice. So on top of all those weaknesses, even the types ice is strong against can still hit for neutral damage. At the very least, steel doesn't need to hit it for super effective damamge.

I wish rock would also lose a weakness or two.

Ice resists itself :v:

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Day 2 of chaining and I'm trying to get a shiny Swirlix. What I wouldn't give just for a flipping in-game counter :suicide:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
I feel left out and want to share my victories with the world too :(

Protean Greninja is the world's most terrifying thing.

Now to begin the competitive breeding trials. No egg shall be left unhatched. :shepface:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Did Psychic stop being super-effective on Posion? I was tying out Inkay on a Zubat and didn't get the damage multiplier.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Either you did and missed it, or you didn't use a Psychic-type move.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Is there a TM for Hydropump?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
How does Power trick work with Stance Change? Does it stack, just reverse it in a weird way, or cancel it out?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Funny thing: With the Infiltrator buff, you can status people behind their subs. This means Crobat has perfect accuracy Toxic (due to the change that makes it Swift-accurate if used by a poison type) that can hit behind subs, but it also has some funny synergy with Defog and Hypnosis, since the former makes the latter pretty accurate and, again, safe to use on something subbed up. Neat.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Rangpur posted:

Doesn't Blastoise still get Rapid Spin?

I got a Wartortle with Rapid Spin from Wonder Trade, so yes, Blastoise can get it.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Gensuki posted:

How does Power trick work with Stance Change? Does it stack, just reverse it in a weird way, or cancel it out?
Yes. It swaps Attack and Defence stats around, so Shield Forme is the offensive one and Blade Forme the defensive one. i.e. you don't wanna do it ever.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Countblanc posted:

Funny thing: With the Infiltrator buff, you can status people behind their subs. This means Crobat has perfect accuracy Toxic (due to the change that makes it Swift-accurate if used by a poison type) that can hit behind subs, but it also has some funny synergy with Defog and Hypnosis, since the former makes the latter pretty accurate and, again, safe to use on something subbed up. Neat.
Poison Heal Breloom says come and get it, Crobat.

Then Crobat uses Flying moves and comes and gets it. :smith:

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did Psychic stop being super-effective on Posion? I was tying out Inkay on a Zubat and didn't get the damage multiplier.

psywave does random damage, it's only super effective at full power. The more you know! :eng101:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Daniel-san lives on a plane far above us mere mortals/pokémortals.

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sorry if I've missed it, but where is the best/easiest place to powerlevel pokemon? (Just experience levels).

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.
What are good EV paths for Pangoro and Dragalge?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

JollyPubJerk posted:

Sorry if I've missed it, but where is the best/easiest place to powerlevel pokemon? (Just experience levels).

The Elite four.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Man I could have sworn my Malamar had Contrary but some Team Flare rear end in a top hat tried to swap her out and whoops, Suction Cups. :(

Whatever. I can't get rid of you. :3:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

JollyPubJerk posted:

Audino friend safaris.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Audino friend safaris.

As an alternative, if you don't have access to one of these. Using Honey/Sweet Scent on Route 21 causes a level 26ish horde to show up that when killed gives you like 4.2k exp. It's slow if you don't have a spread move though. Rockslide is probably your best choice as the hordes are either Scythers or Swablus.

Paper Triangle
Jul 27, 2004

more dog than your dog

JollyPubJerk posted:

Pick three good mons and 3 you want to level. Give one a lucky egg and one an amulet coin, the 3rd can have whatever, I use a Charizard with mega stone. Go to Cafe Le Wow in North Lumiose (fly to North Pkmn Center, go right, turn right down avenue, restaurant is on the right). Use the exp+ and money+ O-powers on yourself, then start a triple battle for $100,000. You'll make a little over $100,000 back plus balm mushrooms which can be sold for a decent amount. You'll also gain a ton of exp for the primary three as well as the three you're trying to power level.

Edit: I should also mention that it's 5 triple battles in a row, but your team is fully healed (including fainted mons) between each battle, so it's a pretty easy series of fights.

2nd Edit because I quoted the wrong dang post.

Paper Triangle fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 20, 2013

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Teach Alakazam Focus Blast and watch him WRECK THE poo poo OUT OF DARK TYPES!

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Aurain posted:

Ice is made of water, it makes no sense for Water to do regular damage to it.

Run cold water over some ice cubes and see what happens :colbert:

(the ice melts pretty quickly is what happens)

JollyPubJerk
Nov 10, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm Ill have to try the honey route until I befried an audino buddy. Thanks

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Hihohe posted:

Teach Alakazam Focus Blast and watch him WRECK THE poo poo OUT OF DARK TYPES!

Alakazam used Focus Blast! The attack missed!

The opponent's Weavile used Night Slash! It's super effective!

Alakazam fainted!

:sigh:

e: can Alakazam learn Dazzling Gleam?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

So, Defog eliminates entry hazards, Light Screen/Reflect, and lowers the opponent's evasion by one stage. Is there anything else it gets rid of? It's not like haze and it gets rid of Substitutes and Stat Boosts, right?

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012
So playing around with the Poke Amie. If you get a 100+ combo with the Head It game, you'll receive two special cupcakes with ribbons around it. Use them, because if you do it again, and receive 2 more of those cupcakes, they won't show up. The other thing- does anyone know exactly what makes them special? I gave my Heliolisk both but they ended up giving the same amount of hearts as the frosted cupcake topped with a candy.

e: nvm found the other two special cupcakes. stupid scrolling.

cancerianmoth fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 20, 2013

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Dastardly posted:

psywave does random damage, it's only super effective at full power. The more you know! :eng101:

Explains it then, seems kind of dumb though. Hopefully it gets Psychic soon. It's weird playing a pokemon game, even this soon after release, without full learnlists, egg moves, habitats and the like already known.

Is it confirmed that tipping leads to a higher shiny chance?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Slate Action posted:

e: can Alakazam learn Dazzling Gleam?

Yes. I kept Alakazam around just for that but then he started to lag behind everyone else and I swapped him out for a Gengar, who also learns Dazzling Gleam.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
After my hitmonchan and Lucario made me an army of vacuum/bullet riolus, I noticed he had learned the elemental punches so I tossed him back in with my pangoro

Pancham does *NOT* have the elemental punches as egg moves

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

They seem to have really dropped the ball with egg moves this gen, Chesnaught doesn't even get any fighting moves via breeding :psyduck:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kurieg posted:

After my hitmonchan and Lucario made me an army of vacuum/bullet riolus, I noticed he had learned the elemental punches so I tossed him back in with my pangoro

Pancham does *NOT* have the elemental punches as egg moves

:psyduck:

So what moves does it know that Iron Fist boosts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I want Pangoro to be good so bad but all evidence points to him being total garbage. Bad movepool, mediocre stats. Oh what could have been :smith:

• Locked thread