Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Combat Lobster posted:

What bugs me more about someone reading text is that no matter how fast they read I can mentally take in information faster by just staring at the screen for a second or two. A old friend of mine recently got into LPing, and while he can be informative he refuses to stop reading and voice acting everything which makes it really tough to enjoy any of his LPs. (Though to his credit, he does an okay job at the voice acting, but it's still very obnoxious.)

You still have to concentrate on reading, and if you want to watch an LP on the side of doing something else, you prefer having someone read the text, although that person better be actually good at reading. Most of the time text readers are constantly replacing and missing words and that just annoys me. But reading text is fine. When your attention is completely on the LP, you don't need it, but it's much easier to glance at graphics and action than to read and comprehend text the same way, and it pulls you away from your work. I'm just the kind of person who likes to use LPs to get through whatever else is on the menu, and it really works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ritcheyz
Dec 25, 2008

You've gotta be crazy
Gotta have a real need
I do sometimes read things out loud in my Dead Rising 2 LP, but that's mainly because my co-op partner can't see the mission descriptions, and I think it's better if she knows what we're doing. No character acting though.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jsor posted:

I just hate being read to in general. It's kind of okay in a classroom setting "<x> would you read <this passage> for us?" But outside of that it always feels kind of patronizing and I can always read faster than the person can speak (coherently at least).

During a class I had to watch a silent horror film with title cards. Two students who never realized how annoying they were took turns reading out the title cards in goofy voices. They did it the whole film. I can only imagine what it's like watching a Silent Hill or Amnesia LP with similar voicework.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
I watched the second part of DSP playing Wind Waker (because the first part didn't actually contain any gameplay), and he's reading text aloud; of course he is, I don't know why I suspected he wouldn't. I'm waiting for the inevitable "How you DON'T play Wind Waker" to point out that at later points he's going to read something, forget what it said, lambast the game for not telling him where he was supposed to go and getting help from the stream chat.

It's a strange problem that people have, reading text aloud and not being able to actually parse it. I'd be interested to find out why that's the case someday.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

frozentreasure posted:

It's a strange problem that people have, reading text aloud and not being able to actually parse it. I'd be interested to find out why that's the case someday.

It's usually cause they have no worthwhile commentary and think reading the dialogue makes up for it.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

I've already mentioned it but some people actually want the text to be read. You're kind of unfairly deciding the worst possible case for text readers like you've met them and they told you such.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Carlioo posted:

One LPer I really like is SupaGoGoMan or A Guy Named Kim Who Isn't Korean. He's puts a lot of effort into his let's plays and really tries to make his videos be interesting. His latest LPs were of Shenmue and Shenmue 2, where he manages to make both be very interesting, instead of the borefest that Shenmue sometimes end up being. He's done other LPs of Dino Crisis and Star Fox Assault as well. Overall, very good and informative.

His CAPS LOCK ANNOTATIONS on the Sonic series always bring a smile to my face because he's being informative, making dumb jokes, and not playing the games badly.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Most of the time it is hugely unnecessary and pointless air filler, and most people don't need to be read something that is very clearly visible. What you should be doing if you absolutely need to talk over the words is give an overview of whats being said near the end of the text dump and expand on it maybe, not read every drat text box word for word.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lazyfire posted:

The one thing I've noticed fairly often with people who read out every bit of text is that they forget the thing they read out loud moments before. I was watching someone play Guacamelee when I wasn't sure what it was and the game tells them the technique they need to use to beat an enemy. Four minutes of trial and error later they stumbled upon it by accident and expressed disbelief that the game didn't tell them what to do.

This reminds me of a Guacamelee video I watched where the LPer not only read lines out-loud but couldn't loving pronounce half the words right. He went back and forth on how to pronounce things like "Fray Ayayay" and stumbled over other words and it was just the most excruciating loving thing. Having someone narrate the text is bad enough, having them be actively lovely at reading out loud is like a whole new layer of terrible.

Cheez posted:

I've already mentioned it but some people actually want the text to be read.

Well those people are wrong. There are better ways to handle a game with substantial blocks of text than reading it all out-loud, even if your name is Bobbin Threadbare or ResearchIndicates and you have a voice worth listening to.

Kajmir
Jan 17, 2012
"On-top of being a professional player of video games I'm also an accomplished reader of words. Be amazed by my literacy!"

I'd like to echo the previous sentiment that voice acting the dialogue is one of the worst things an LPer could do. One of the first LPs I tied to watch of Ni No Kuni was by InTheLittleWood. I didn't make it very far after hearing his Oliver voice.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

EvilKaj posted:

"On-top of being a professional player of video games I'm also an accomplished reader of words. Be amazed by my literacy!"

Sounds like something you'd hear in an Old Spice commercial.

TaurusOxford posted:

It's usually cause they have no worthwhile commentary and think reading the dialogue makes up for it.

No, I mean why people who read text out loud will often not actually process what it says. I get why they read it out loud.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

frozentreasure posted:

No, I mean why people who read text out loud will often not actually process what it says. I get why they read it out loud.

There is a really good chance that they don't so much read the text so much as they say it like it is part of their insightful commentary.

One of those things that annoys me that is related to this is people who start playing blind who forget basic game mechanics. The best example I can think of was back when Sips from the Yogscast started his Don't Starve series and in an early episode started to...starve. Instead of looking through the various meters to see why he was taking damage all of the sudden while he wasn't under attack he started fake crying and complaining the game was killing him. It took him 30 seconds or so to realize he hadn't eaten in like 2 in game days.

How is it possible to not understand such a basic thing?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lazyfire posted:

It took him 30 seconds or so to realize he hadn't eaten in like 2 in game days.
I'd love to watch him blind LP Robinson's Requiem.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

Well those people are wrong. There are better ways to handle a game with substantial blocks of text than reading it all out-loud, even if your name is Bobbin Threadbare or ResearchIndicates and you have a voice worth listening to.
That's not an incredibly biased way to think of things at all.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Cheez posted:

That's not an incredibly biased way to think of things at all.

I guess I could get it for games that don't have much text, but you typically see it in text heavy games - things with dialogue box after dialogue box or large walls. In those cases, I'm basically hearing a person a) drone on with things I can read myself or b) do "wacky" voices that are terrible 99% of the time.

Can you give us an example where you think it works particularly well?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Slowbeef posted:

SGF played through two text-only Choose Your Own Adventure books, and it was actually quite good. However, that's mostly because he works off of the base material instead of just reading it verbatim. Also, it helps that those books are a mixture of bad and cheesy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYLW-95ka8

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Slowbeef posted:

I guess I could get it for games that don't have much text, but you typically see it in text heavy games - things with dialogue box after dialogue box or large walls. In those cases, I'm basically hearing a person a) drone on with things I can read myself or b) do "wacky" voices that are terrible 99% of the time.

It was said above but Supergreatfriend does a fantatsic job (even if he is sort of an SA guy) :v: . You do have to have a voice for it, though- I don't think most LPers could pull it off.

Content: I really love watching cthulhu the 3rd on twitch. (http://www.twitch.tv/cthulhu_the_3rd). He tends to stream from around 8 PM PST to 11 PM PST on weekdays (not lately though, agh) but he mixes it up now and then. He tends to play retro games but has done some newer stuff before. I really like him because he's chill, takes the effort to interact with his chat, and doesn't try too hard to be wacky or then. He really nails the conversational feel.

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 18, 2013

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Slowbeef posted:

Danny O'Dwyer read-along of Hatoful Boyfriend and it's sequel probably tick the box. It's also one of the rare cases I think face-cam worked since he just uses it on occasion to flash surprised or confused expressions without going "WELL THAT SURE IS WACKY!" it helps that the game is, to me, pretty drat funny.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Slowbeef posted:

Well I don't particularly think text reading works for viewers who are completely focused on watching the LP, but as I mentioned a while back there are people, myself included, who like to watch LPs at the same time as working with something else. It takes more effort to read text, so I can't just glance at the screen in the middle of doing something, and that would defeat the purpose of using the LP that way. It's why I lean towards watching VLPs of games with voice acting and/or commentary first, since otherwise it would become too much of a distraction.

That said, if people read the text (accurately, mind you.) I can focus on whatever work I'm doing. The gameplay is less of an issue for this because I can still see and comprehend what's going on without looking directly at it. Although I'd probably just mute it anyway if they tried to do voices and were failing miserably.

Then there are just some people who habitually read out loud to themselves. I can't say anything bad about those people.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I don't find most text-reading (or facecams) particularly offensive, more just kind of pointless. A lot of people here seem to think they're the worst possible thing to happen to LP or something, but as long as they're not really terrible, I don't really care. Chances are, you're not going to be saying anything if there's text to read anyway, so I kind of don't mind someone doing it for me. It means I'm not sitting there for ten seconds a line because you're flicking through slowly. As long as you're not roleplaying ecco or doing stupid voices or something dumb, I don't really care either way. If someone is staring at a wall, it can help if they read so I know they're looking at a poster or something and didn't just stop to check their phone and not edit the pause out or something. Don't talk over anything useful (or put a facecam over a healthbar or some subtitles or something) and it's not really a big problem.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

SGF played through two text-only Choose Your Own Adventure books, and it was actually quite good. However, that's mostly because he works off of the base material instead of just reading it verbatim. Also, it helps that those books are a mixture of bad and cheesy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaYLW-95ka8

I think that was largely because the text was too small to be read in the Twitch/Youtube window. He doesn't read 999 or VLR.
But you're right, he does make it entertaining by bringing very badly written, generic characters to life. I don't think I could have watched Vampire/Hex Boyfriends without someone reading the text. However, that doesn't mean that it could have been anyone reading the text to me. It has to be the right person and they have to be doing it for the right reason.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Who wants to talk about YouTube randomly putting 3rd party content acknowledgement requests against videos?

thepostgame, for those of you who have lives and don't know every random YouTube Networks is a YouTube Let's Player network that apparently claimed part of Batman: Arkham City for themselves. How they got to do that is beyond me.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Lazyfire posted:

How they got to do that is beyond me.
Because youtube's copyright claim system is completely open for abuse like this.
They're counting on the owner of the video to not want to go through the effort of disputing the claim and just roll over and accept the claim so that they get ad revenue of the video in question and links back to their own videos.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hot new interview with thread favorite DarksydePhil.

And before people ask, it's fake.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lazyfire posted:

Who wants to talk about YouTube randomly putting 3rd party content acknowledgement requests against videos?

thepostgame, for those of you who have lives and don't know every random YouTube Networks is a YouTube Let's Player network that apparently claimed part of Batman: Arkham City for themselves. How they got to do that is beyond me.

The content matching system isn't perfect, and it will often attribute ownership to wrong people. The owner of the account most likely doesn't know you were flagged.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I don't think reading text out-loud in an LP is THE WORST THING EVER!!!, but to me it smacks of low-effort laziness on top of generally being grating. It's lazy because it's the most pointless, blatant way to pad out an LP...oh hey, I'll read the dialogue on the screen word-for-word!...it's not adding anything to the experience, you're not being insightful or funny, you're just repeating something everybody can read for themselves. And it's generally grating because a lot of LPers who do it are really bad at reading out loud. They stumble over words, they rusheverythingtogetherybtrbzbgjzd, they mangle pronunciation...like LPs themselves, a lot of people who decide to do this aren't as good at it as they think they are.

Personally, if you're just putting on an LP to have something going on in the background while you work, why does it even matter if they read the text out-loud or not? Are you really able to multitask so well that hearing every word recited out-loud is vital to your enjoyment? I do the same thing too myself, put on a video and do something else, but when I do that I know that I'm basically only going to get remember about half of what I heard. The only way I can imagine it being vitally necessary to read an LP's text aloud word for word is if you somehow decided to put the audio on an MP3 player and listen to it as an audiobook (which just raises further questions).

That's not to say that a good LP should disregard text entirely, but there are better ways to handle it than "9th grade English class reading from the textbook." Take Bacter's Guacamelee LP going on right now. That's a game that has dialogue and Bacter talks to characters, but he doesn't read everything out loud...what he will do is paraphrase and summarize important things, he'll explain what certain unfamiliar words mean, he'll note when he thinks the dialogue is especially clever or funny, and he keeps the game flowing. Then there's the Guacamelee LP I tried watching on YouTube earlier where the guy read everything out loud and not only was he terrible at it, it took him something like three times as long to get to the point Bacter got by the end of his first video. To me incredibly poor pacing is one of the number one things that makes so many bad LPs bad, and reading the text verbatim contributes to that.

In the LP recommendation thread someone was asking for video LPs of Baldur's Gate 2 and it was noted that a lot of LPs of games like that in the Archive are screenshot rather than video for good reason. If a game is really text-heavy then screenshots seem to be the better option unless you have a good plan in mind.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Lazyfire posted:

I'd had a similar thing happen once, mail the guy and explain the situation.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'd had a similar thing happen once, mail the guy and explain the situation.

I have a few other videos like that and at the end of the day, I really don't care enough to worry about it. I don't own the copyright to the game, so when this comes up I generally just acknowledge the claim and move on. However, I think there is a discussion to be had about claims like this and the fact you can get into internet-trouble if the wrong person throws down a claim.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Keep mind that it's all automatic. The other YouTube guy does not know this is happening. If you shoot them an email/YouTube PM, they're usually quite apologetic and will remove the claim.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Or you can just dispute the claim via youtube's feature designed just for that, which works just as well.
I once had some Saint's Row 3 footage claimed by some network for some reason and got the claim removed within hours of disputing that way.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I thought you only got the counter-claim option for takedowns, not for forced monetization.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Suspicious Dish posted:

I thought you only got the counter-claim option for takedowns, not for forced monetization.

Nah, you can dispute any copyright claim, even if it doesn't affect the status of your video. I had it happen to me a couple times now.
You just click the dispute button, pick a reason and optionally enter a short message. I generally acknowledge justified claims, though, like when using copyrighted music. No reason not to, really.

A dispute and a counter-claim might be different, things though, I never got a copyright strike, for instance, where that might actually be an option.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

I just found the best Intro/Gameplay mismatch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTpnKrJ9JQw

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Seshoho Cian posted:

It's like a gift-wrapped dirty sock. There's and outro, too.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Ok, yeah, I spent a while laughing at that.

Apparently after less than 40 videos the channel was abandoned in favor of something that may or may not be My Little Pony related.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Seshoho Cian posted:

OP of this video in the comments posted:

and im gonna record some mlp pony creator

Why am I not surprised!

IceAgeComing fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 20, 2013

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

IceAgeComing posted:

Why am I not surprised!

Ok, I now feel bad about making fun of this person because it is an actual child who is attempting to do a pony focused channel. Getting that intro for what the LP video was is still overkill, though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTjCf1bBOqI

Game Grumps playing a game on the OUYA.

I've dealt with a lot of stupidity from these guys but I think this is the final straw. I'm unsubscribing. :newlol:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

JordanKai posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTjCf1bBOqI

Game Grumps playing a game on the OUYA.

I've dealt with a lot of stupidity from these guys but I think this is the final straw. I'm unsubscribing. :newlol:

It was really odd finding out that Mortim3r and Egoraptor were together since I watched Mortim3r for cosmetic product reviews and makeup tips for awhile since she's really good at makeup, and now her channel is full of Egoraptor so I stopped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I honestly do wonder how a professional style interview with DSP would go, because I couldn't see him lasting 3 questions without him getting pissy over something.

• Locked thread