Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Bob NewSCART posted:

Is the game still not saving by now? Not being a whiny goon just wanna know if it's even worth trying because I already lost 2 levels and 40 grand this morning.

Definitely not saving for some people and works completely fine for others.

So how does racing yourself work? Or is that something that got patched out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

WastedJoker posted:

Is there a trick to identifying player vehicles if they're not in them?

I spend so much time just dicking around that I am pretty terrible at knowing all the little tricks and stuff to take advantage of the mechanics of this game.

IDing other personal cars is usually best done contextually. Is the car in impound, next to the helipad, outside a store with a white dot, parked oddly, painted strangely, obviously customized, obtainable only by social club or collector's edition, and so on?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dewgy posted:

Jesus christ shut up about this unacceptable bullshit. It's a video game. "Unacceptable" is when the bank forecloses on the wrong house, "unacceptable" is when a game fries your other saves or hardware, "unacceptable" is when you get a package from UPS that's been mangled.

This is bog standard launch issues combined with Frankensteining MMO frameworks on top of the RAGE engine. It's loving amazing that this game even works as it is, and yes, it's pretty acceptable to me that a company that has never launched an MMO or large scale online game of any kind is having problems with their infrastructure in the first month for the best selling game EVER. I'm way the gently caress over it because the game is fun and the server issues haven't stopped me from having fun.

If it's so god drat unacceptable, stop accepting it and play something else for a month you entitled baby. This isn't the loving Consumerist.

Why does this thread make for some of the whiniest people on SA?

What the gently caress is this poo poo? He paid money for the game just like everyone else, and saying that a product doesn't work properly isn't loving entitled.

Its even worse when the game was pretty stable for a short time and then a patch got rolled out that broke a lot of stuff. You seem to be awfully mad about someone discussing a game in a thread about said game.

Velvet Underarm
Dec 17, 2006

Nerolus posted:

FuriousFrenzy has been chasing me around freeroam for like half an hour. :negative: I'm trying to figure this poo poo out.

For love of course ;)

-FF

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups
PSN: Johnnyonoes for a day of playing mixed up with coke and hating yourself later.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
So a bunch of stuff still isn't saving? I've stayed away from playing all weekend and don't want to bother if it's still screwing up.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Slim Killington posted:

So a bunch of stuff still isn't saving? I've stayed away from playing all weekend and don't want to bother if it's still screwing up.

It works for some people, others it doesn't. For the most part it seems like it still saves but it just takes a long time (days) to show up

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
The not saving isn't consistent and when it doesn't save it explicitly states over and over above your mini map that it can not save and that it will retry until it can, and then says game saved.

Ordinarily saving is just a yellow circle but it freaks out when it can't, gets rid of the yellow circle and uses a box instead.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

blackguy32 posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? He paid money for the game just like everyone else, and saying that a product doesn't work properly isn't loving entitled.

Its even worse when the game was pretty stable for a short time and then a patch got rolled out that broke a lot of stuff. You seem to be awfully mad about someone discussing a game in a thread about said game.

It's really stupid seeing someone post page after page after page after page while catching up on the thread about how awful it is and how much he hates it. Sorry for being miffed by how much people seem to spend time doing things they supposedly loathe I guess.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceBanditos posted:

Coldforge if you read this.. sorry walrus and I were dicks.

I dispute that I was ever being a dick.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
The saving issue seems completely random. After racing with a few crew members last night my save was fine. Another guy that was in the same session had his stats roll back between the time it took to exit the race to freeroam.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

WastedJoker posted:

Is there a trick to identifying player vehicles if they're not in them?

No and that's why it's a stupid penalty until they add a way to do so.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Except that it's a huge incentive to make your personal vehicles as close to stock appearance as possible just to trick people into doing it.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
My new fun game is to go to the airfield in the desert and try to find all the personal cars that are "hidden" while their owners are flying around.

And by find I mean blow up.

And count me as someone who finds the continuing issues supremely annoying but not "unacceptable."

I've already gotten $60 of fun out of this game no question.

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I enjoy this game and have had no major issues while playing it

Bulk Slabhead
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah, I've had a lot of fun with it so far myself. I feel that with both the story mode and the Online it was at least worth my $60. The biggest issues I've had have just been the server issues and the character deletion issues.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

GET MY BELT SON posted:

I enjoy this game and have had no major issues while playing it

Same here, I feel it's inevitable I'll lose something eventually.

I bought the 223K apartment Friday night right after the patch, social club says my money is very much gone & I'm scared to log in to see of the apartment is still there :ohdear:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I wish I could run in my apartment, and that the garage was the default choice when leaving. That's all I ask.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Count me in as yet another that has had quite a bit of fun with GTAO, although the tech problems have been very annoying. What we've got here is basically a Beta version, and a lot of the most notable content and features (Editors, mission sharing, player heists, etc) aren't even implemented yet. It's a bit bare-bones right now, but I can see it enduring for years if they support it well over the next six months or so.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

@Carbohydrates: Any chance I could get in whatever crew it is that has that bitchin' emblem?

Also, what do I buy with $870,000? Or should I wait for the stimulus package and a bit more cash to buy something big like a tank?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Slim Killington posted:

Except that it's a huge incentive to make your personal vehicles as close to stock appearance as possible just to trick people into doing it.

Well that's boring. I like the idea someone here had of only getting Bad Sport points if you can't pay in full for the other player's insurance claim combined with an easy identifier.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

SpaceBanditos posted:

Coldforge if you read this.. sorry walrus and I were dicks.

Freeroam is all about being dicks. As long as it's not during a mission, I'm all for it, and still having fun.

Never apologize :clint:

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 20, 2013

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Hatbox Ghost posted:

But... why? And who? :psyduck:

My brother, for one. He bought a 360 just for GTA online. Here are his achievements (on left, mine on right)

Linking for minor achievement spoilers: http://i.imgur.com/zk4mfqI.png

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
My total earned is 4.2 million
My total spent 3.8

I have never had more then 500K on hand.

I must be bad with GTA dollars.

Edit: Half million on contact services
100k on clothes
1.4 million on cars, (the most expensive car I've purchased was the sand king)
400k on utilities?
nearly a million on weapons and armor
0 dollars given to others :clint:

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 20, 2013

Eriic
Aug 9, 2009

Twisp, is this a truth? Do you do evil?

Dominic White posted:

Count me in as yet another that has had quite a bit of fun with GTAO, although the tech problems have been very annoying. What we've got here is basically a Beta version, and a lot of the most notable content and features (Editors, mission sharing, player heists, etc) aren't even implemented yet. It's a bit bare-bones right now, but I can see it enduring for years if they support it well over the next six months or so.

Most, if not all large open-world games have bugs that can have an outrageous effect on the game and no amount of development is going to squash every potential issue. Every Elder Scrolls game can be broken in ways that are hard to even imagine until you are aware of them. This game is arguably the biggest open-world game to date and also has the most ambitious multiplayer component that I am aware of, so it's really not surprising that there are issues with it, and some of the things considered as serious issues like the car duping/selling glitch are pretty common in other games. In the original Pokemon you could dupe any item to be a stack of 255, even items of which there was only supposed to be one obtainable in the entire game. With the same glitch, you could catch pokemon with levels higher than the maximum the game normally allows, and you could also permanently and irreparably corrupt your game save, but nobody ever accused Nintendo of releasing Pokemon in an unfinished state.

And I really don't see how anybody could consider the amount of content that is already available in this game to be "bare-bones" unless we are talking about the skeleton of, like, Galactus. :psyduck:

Eriic fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 20, 2013

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Sorry I got your message as I logged,but no LunchLady I didn't put a bounty on you. I was coming to collect though until I saw you were in AWCO!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

For me, GTA:O has actually been more stable than V. I only started playing online when I got locked out of the location that you have to go to to start the final heist. After the patch, I can get in through character switching tricks and use a quicksave workaround to actually start the mission.

None of the problems I've come across in GTA:O have been anywhere near that annoying / game breaking (until yesterday). Couldn't log in for hours. When I finally did get online my friend and clan lists wouldn't load so I couldn't invite or join anyone, and missions automatically failed as soon as they started. Once I finally could get in and play, it stopped saving.

Despite all that, I have been able to play more than I could during the first two weeks of online for both Red Dead Redemption and GTA IV.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

They need to add a way to specify race options when joining a random race. I just want GTA races but I always end up in normal ones with people farming boring supercar lap races or super tryhards who freak out when I rub up on 'em a little. :(

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

How many of y'all are rocking custom plates? Show 'em here! I like trying to decipher the ones that form sentences.

Krynn
Dec 12, 2005
Professional Lurker

hiddenriverninja posted:

How many of y'all are rocking custom plates? Show 'em here! I like trying to decipher the ones that form sentences.

I'd love to, but the Android version of iFruit still hasn't been released.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

That pun is truly, terribly awful. And now I'm kicking myself for not thinking of it first.

Granted, I don't have a custom plate at all (no iOS device) but still!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

To the gooncrew dude that killed me for a 1k bounty today and immediately logged off: gently caress you.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Some dink killed me for 3k npc bounty while I was shopping so I summoned my Max HP Lemonlime Gauntlet and riddled his helpless shitbox with bullets and ramming until he blew up the old fashioned GTA way. Not cool to be deprived of that joy

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Eriic posted:

Most, if not all large open-world games have bugs that can have an outrageous effect on the game and no amount of development is going to squash every potential issue. Every Elder Scrolls game can be broken in ways that are hard to even imagine until you are aware of them. This game is arguably the biggest open-world game to date and also has the most ambitious multiplayer component that I am aware of, so it's really not surprising that there are issues with it, and some of the things considered as serious issues like the car duping/selling glitch are pretty common in other games. In the original Pokemon you could dupe any item to be a stack of 255, even items of which there was only supposed to be one obtainable in the entire game. With the same glitch, you could catch pokemon with levels higher than the maximum the game normally allows, and you could also permanently and irreparably corrupt your game save, but nobody ever accused Nintendo of releasing Pokemon in an unfinished state.

Yeah, open-world games are crazy hard to debug, and contrary to people who love to say this is a reduction in quality control with new games it's always been the case. My personal favorite example is Daggerfall, which would almost certainly be one of those games that had a Metacritic user score of 2 due to raging nerds if it came out today.

Two good examples off the top of my head:

1) The dungeon generator they used to populate the map with random dungeons was capable of and did generate several that were impossible to exit without using cheats because the interior door was positioned such that you couldn't click on it, behind a table or in an awkward corner or w/e. So you'd spend an hour carefully exploring a dungeon that was impossible to read the minimap for only to find you'd wasted all your time because you can never leave.

2) You could clean out any shop in the entire game by simply going inside while it was open, using the "wait" command to loiter around until it closed, and then taking every single item off the shelf at your leisure with the shopkeeper still standing there nonchalant. The game only flagged you as a burglar and sent the guards after you if you smashed or lockpicked into a shop after closing time.

But the game was full of them. It had literally hundreds of bugs, and probably at least a dozen this game-breaking, to say nothing of a massive list of inexplicable freeze and CTD bugs. And despite all that, the game was a megahit with both fans and critics and is basically responsible for the Elder Scrolls series being what it is today. Peoples' expectations are the only thing about the technical quality of games that's changed.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

So apparently female players come equipped with a strapon for loving prostitutes.

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Velvet Underarm posted:

For love of course ;)

-FF

Hey trade me some race wins later for all the races I "let you win today." ;)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

hiddenriverninja posted:

This is magic. Commend the gently caress out of whoever has that.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I used to be mild mannered about this whole glitch thing.

But the new patch not only didn't give me my money right away, it made the game buggy again. I lost two levels and 120000 bucks.

Then again it is a game. It just feels like rockstar is loving with us when there's no hint of the rewards actually coming and the game gets more unstable after a patch. Like we're going to give you some in game assets for being a good sport. Now weren't not going to do that, make the game buggier and then prove our own point at you entitlement when you start bitching. Of course that isn't actually happening, but on some level I feel like rockstar is loving with us or at least dropping the ball a bit.

But, I could see why they would want to get the game as stable as possible before giving out the half million. Thinking like that is more realistic I guess. I Think rockstar needs to be a bit more avid about this mess though in game. A few bumper loading messages isn't going to reassure me of anything.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Lotish posted:

This is magic. Commend the gently caress out of whoever has that.

It's mine! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

You are a king in my book.

So earlier I posted that whenever I have my mic plugged in, my character constantly moves his mouth like he's babbling and people complain of noise through the in-game chat, even if I have the microphone turned off. So I went and bought a new headset just to see if that was the problem, but it's still happening. Anyone know what could be causing that? It only happens in the in-game chat; Xbox party and private message chat isn't affected, which is why I think it's game specific.

• Locked thread