Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I'm like 1/7 of the way into Venus in Furs, and while there are a fair number of interesting images and ideas in it so far, the characters are loving insufferable. Part of that seems intentional, but I'm not sure the fact that they all sound like the same person was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

I just started Tenth of December by George Saunders. Pastoralia was one of the best books I've read in my book club (behind Michel Houellbecq's Platform)... three stories in and I'm not disappointed.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

I just started Peace by Gene Wolfe. I actually tried reading it a few years ago, but was in no way prepared for the rambling but also super detail focused style. Having read (and reread) a lot of his other stuff has definitely made it a lot easier this time. About 50 pages in and not quite sure where this is all going, but its really interesting to read now that I am actually paying attention and not actually worrying about where its all going.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Starting The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

E: Finished and it was a very good book. Now on to High Plains Drifter by Ernest Tidyman as a filler while another books comes in.

E2: Now on to Timequake by Kurt Vonnegut.

E3: My wife just got a copy of The Sky People by S.M. Sterling at a library sale and is letting me read it first to get my traditional post-Vonnegut schlock in.

Butch Cassidy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 11, 2013

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Suttree. Just got to the melon fucker. This is a good novel.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Oldstench posted:

Suttree. Just got to the melon fucker. This is a good novel.

Yes. Yes it is. I need to re-read that one...

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Finally started on A Dance With Dragons last night. Though only finished the prologue before I got tired. Gonna continue with chapter 2 tonight.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Alan Dean Foster's Icerigger trilogy.

Got the ebook from Amazon.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Just started reading Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone for about the 5th time. Such a fun and easy read.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Reading Stealing Light by Gary Gibson. Let's just say that it reads like a pale imitation of an Iain M. Banks' Culture novels crossed with James SA Corey's Expanse series. Still, I'll probably finish it...

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
Rereading The Talisman by King & Straub. I remember loving it as a teen, let's see how it holds up after all these years.

Finagle
Feb 18, 2007

Looks like we have a neighsayer

Zsa Zsa Gabor posted:

Rereading The Talisman by King & Straub. I remember loving it as a teen, let's see how it holds up after all these years.

It holds up pretty good, I think. Better than The Black House, I feel. I mean, The Talisman was such a well contained story, it just didn't NEED a sequel.

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Just started Turgenev's Sketches from a Hunter's Album and Hugo's Les Misérables. The latter's in the original French, unabridged and all. All that vocab's gonna be the death of me.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Good luck with Les Mis! It was long enough in a modern, English translation. Absolutely fantastic book though.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I just cracked open Pure by Andrew Miller; which I know I decided to read after seeing it mentioned in some other thread in this subforum. I have completely forgotten which thread, and so I have no idea whatsoever what this book is about, what genre it is, nor what to expect at all!

France, it seems to be set in France.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I'm just starting Heretics of Dune now. I think it will certainly be an interesting read, especially given how God Emperor of Dune wrapped up!

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.
Just started Toni Morrison's Paradise. Incredible prose, heartbreaking subject matter.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Just started listening to Rainbow Six. Never read a Tom Clancy book before, so I just sort of picked one at random from Audible.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ironsights posted:

Just started listening to Rainbow Six. Never read a Tom Clancy book before, so I just sort of picked one at random from Audible.

Ah, Rainbow Six! I really need to re-read that one, as it's probably my favourite Clancy novel. If you enjoy it, be sure to check out Without Remorse, as that one explores the origins of Clark, and has a similar amount of action in it, in true John Clark/Kelly fashion.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.
Currently reading a collection of St. Clair McElway's writing called Reporting at Wit's End. He was a writer for the New Yorker, better known for his contributions to other writers' work. Most of his own articles are on off beat topics. It's quite interesting.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Seeds in the Heart, although I'm only going to read up through the Kamakura-era.

Zarrin
Oct 2, 2004

DNS is Magic
I just finished The Atrocity Archives by Charles Stross and will begin the Jennifer Morgue tomorrow.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Started The Unabridged Version of the stand about two weeks ago. About a 1/4 of the way through, going to be reading The Green Child after that. Then probably The Attack.

I own so many books that I have a super backlog and don't need to purchase another one for another year or so probably.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I picked up David Hajdu's Positively 4th Street yesterday at a used bookstore in Toronto and when I was heading to the till, I picked up a copy of Richard Farina's Been Down So Long It Looks Up To Me that someone had set down. I figure they'll make an interesting pair when I get around to them.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I just bought Song of Spiderman: The Inside Story of the Most Controversial Musical in Broadway History. While I'm not all that interested in theater, I always enjoy reading 'human train-wreck' stories. The author Glen Berger does a pretty good job of holding my interest on how events unfold. And I have to give him credit for painting a relatively fair picture of Julie Taymor (despite the fact that she's suing him).

EDIT: One of my favorite parts are when Glen talks about the reaction from the internet, because I can't help but think "He's talking about me! :awesome:"

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Dec 21, 2013

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Just got Andy McNab's Silencer at the airport then. Best thing: I got it for free due to getting a voucher from the airline. worst thing: I only got the voucher due to having to go through huge delays.

Still, it's pretty good thus far!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I just finished The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein and am going to start Jon Meacham's Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power next.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

I just got Jonathon Gottschall's The Storytelling Animal. I'm working my way through it and it started out really interesting but I feel like it's devolved into one unqualified dude's ramblings about human psychology and making unconvincing assertions on why people like stories the way they do. I don't know, it's interesting but it's raising my eyebrows.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
Started A Confederacy of Dunces two days ago, and I'm already about halfway through it. This book is loving hilarious, and it's been a long time since I've made such quick progress on a novel.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Got Ship of Theseus for Christmas and am enjoying it so far.

Phadedsky
Apr 2, 2007

I just bought The Poisoner's Handbook and Blood Work: A Tale of Medicine and Murder in the Scientific Revolution. I just started The Poisoner's Handbook.

All Nines
Aug 12, 2011

Elves get all the nice things. Why can't I have a dinosaur?
Started Anna Karenina today. I was distracted for a little while over whether the translation I have (Joel Carmichael's, bought for a dollar) is worthwhile, or if I should go out and pick up the hyped-up-as-usual Pevear & Volokhonsky, but I'm already enjoying it so much that I think I'll stick it out and get the P&V or the Garnett-Kent-Berberova whenever I feel like rereading it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

oldpainless posted:

Got Ship of Theseus for Christmas and am enjoying it so far.

Me too, but my copy was scribbled all over by these random people. Thinking about returning it.

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

Me too, but my copy was scribbled all over by these random people. Thinking about returning it.

I'm assuming you're joking? For those who don't know, that's kind of the point of the book.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
In turn I will have to assume that you too are joking.
:v: can't be here to hold your hand all the time.

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
Under the Eagle by Simon Scarrow. Seems great so far, but remove the references to Rome and it could be a generic British modern military novel.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

More library books! Anthology of Chinese Literature by Cyril Birch (2 volumes), Hyperbole-and-a-half, and a few from Eva Ibbotson. These ought to get me through the next week!

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
I got Heir to the Empire, the first part of the Thrawn trilogy. I plan on reading the trilogy and then never touching any other Star Wars books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Reading this first and then moving on to the Vorkosigan Saga.

• Locked thread