Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

ChibiSoma posted:

So uh... Plantera's next, huh? Him and Golem are the only things I haven't killed him. Not sure what I should do. I don't want to lure him to the surface, so I'm thinking farming a Crimson Key to get Vampire Knives. That seems dull after what I just did. How long a grind am I lookin' at here? Am I gonna be killing Face Monsters for two hours before one drops?

Some guy on youtube had a Plantera video where he built a corridor near the spawn point with teleporters on both ends. I used that idea for my first Plantera and it wasn't too bad. I think I had shroom armor, megashark and ichor bullets.

Vampire knives is another way, yeh. And for the record, they completely trivialize the fight (like every other fight too). You'll just stand there with Plantera in your face and spam the knives.

I farmed the crimson key by mining a large cavern in crimson, almost entire screen, then planting a platform in middle just high enough that the floor of the cavern was offscreen and spawned mobs. Then battle potions and spam away with ranged weapon of your choise. Took maybe 4 battle potions (20ish minutes) for me but who knows with these dumb drop rates how long it'll take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hermetian
Dec 9, 2007

BattleRobit posted:

So what's the most effective weapon against Diabolists in the hardmode dungeon? I'm camping in the dungeon to get some item drops but every time
this god awful enemy appears I die in less than 10 seconds.

If you have it, try using the infernal fork they drop against them. A piranha gun will tear them to shreds as well, since once it locks on it'll follow them as they run. That said, any high-damage weapon is fine, as long as you keep moving and remember that their fireballs explode where you were when they launched it.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Fewd posted:

I farmed the crimson key by mining a large cavern in crimson, almost entire screen, then planting a platform in middle just high enough that the floor of the cavern was offscreen and spawned mobs. Then battle potions and spam away with ranged weapon of your choise. Took maybe 4 battle potions (20ish minutes) for me but who knows with these dumb drop rates how long it'll take.

I did this too, with pretty much the same result.

Except, when I was trying out the Vampire Knives in the Crimson immediately after, I got another Crimson Key. :shepface:

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

ChibiSoma posted:

So uh... Plantera's next, huh? Him and Golem are the only things I haven't killed him. Not sure what I should do. I don't want to lure him to the surface, so I'm thinking farming a Crimson Key to get Vampire Knives. That seems dull after what I just did. How long a grind am I lookin' at here? Am I gonna be killing Face Monsters for two hours before one drops?

Congrats!

Plantera is sort of like Eye of Cthulhu + a bit of Skeletron + a big bucket of HP and damage. So without some kind of life leech you'll need some preparation just like you did with those bosses when you fought them with on-schedule gear. What you need is space. Either find it in the jungle, make it in the jungle, or take the fight upstairs.

Life leech works too. But I just finished doing that to Golem for my first fight and I sort of wish I hadn't, so that's why I've got alternatives on my mind.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

watho posted:

My sollution for everything is a tactical shotgun.

With chloro bullets and +ranged gear it will one shot them, preventing that annoying 'teleport on hit'.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax
Is there any reason not to pump the ocean into Hell? Seems like life down there'd be a lot easier if there was less lava.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

jfjnpxmy posted:

Is there any reason not to pump the ocean into Hell? Seems like life down there'd be a lot easier if there was less lava.

Water in hell evaporates, and quite quickly.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

President Ark posted:

Water in hell evaporates, and quite quickly.
If you dump a huge amount in, you can get obsidian over a very significant portion of the lava, though. Doing it on the West/left end is a decent way of starting your Wall of Flesh hallway, assuming your dungeon's also on that side. (Otherwise, maybe not worth the trip.)

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Just use all the dirt blocks you undoubtedly collected making your hellevator to make a lava bridge.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Does honey evaporate in hell?

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You know what else evaporates in hell? loving Plantera.

He can't despawn if you leave the jungle. I was down there leading him across my nearly hell-wide bridge for 14,000 or so HP. We'd reached one end and had turned back, in fact. He just vanished on me. No explanation. Found a bulb near hell, figured that if you could lead him up to the surface, you could do the same to underworld! Apparently not!

Screw it, I'm just gonna use TEdit to give myself the keys. Including the temple key. I'm done dealing with this dumb boss. There was no reason why he might vanish. We hadn't been under the jungle for awhile when he disappeared. Again, we'd literally reached one side of the map and were going back the way we came. I wasn't even outrunning him! Fuckin' he had one of him limbs on the ground near me, I jumped over it, and then he was just gone.

I was willing to give it a couple tries, but this is bullshit. I had that rear end in a top hat dead to rights, the Megashark was destroying him. Then this happens. I'm moving on to Golem. There's an option in TEdit to mark Plantera as being defeated, so hard mode dungeon stuff will start spawning. Up yours, Plantera! t:mad:t

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

I don't suppose that there's say a hotkey to place a torch on the nearest suitable surface as opposed to having to select the thing on your hotbar every time?

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Tindahbawx posted:

I don't suppose that there's say a hotkey to place a torch on the nearest suitable surface as opposed to having to select the thing on your hotbar every time?

Use the shift key, it defaults to torch if you're not mousing over something that can be broken

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Use the shift key, it defaults to torch if you're not mousing over something that can be broken

Excellent, thanks!

Edit: Should I be exploring horizontally as well as vertically? For the most part I've been sticking to the vertical area under my house and whatever caves that has, down as far a a massive lake of lava, which I'm trying to find somewhere to pour it into, as its in the way of my vertical mineshaft thing.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Oct 21, 2013

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I miss the Hamdrax, it was nice having an all-in-one tool that could dismantle everything in a few seconds.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
When browsing the wiki, I keep seeing random recommendations of keeping your entire home X amounts of block above the surface in Hardmode - is this really required? I currently have an all-underground hobbit hole with just a small door on top of the surface, with a pit next to it.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 21, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fishstick posted:

When browsing the wiki, I keep seeing random recommendations of keeping your entire home X amounts of block above the surface in Hardmode - is this really required? I currently have an all-underground hobbit hole with just a small door on top of the surface, with a pit next to it.

Depends on what it's made of and if you don't mind your base suddenly being smack-dab in the middle of a biome filled with tough enemies. Starting hardmode also supercharges the spread of Corruption and a new biome, Hallow. It spreads far and fast, so keeping your base at least 4 blocks off the ground is the only way to for certain keep it safe, unless you have really thick walls and/or use corruption-proof materials (like Red Brick, made from clay).

Fishlicious
Nov 8, 2005
So how do others get away from using the mining helmet? I am just starting hardmode and generally want to be wearing my armour set head piece for the increased defence but the mining helm is just so drat useful I keep going back to it while exploring. Is there a hardmode alternative that I don't know about? Any advice would be helpful.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Shine potions. Glowing mushroom + day bloom.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

Fishlicious posted:

So how do others get away from using the mining helmet? I am just starting hardmode and generally want to be wearing my armour set head piece for the increased defence but the mining helm is just so drat useful I keep going back to it while exploring. Is there a hardmode alternative that I don't know about? Any advice would be helpful.

I basically just throw glowsticks/torches everywhere, and/or hold shift.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Fishlicious posted:

In Hardmode there's lots of ways to light your path. Mithril armour will glow in the dark, and once you've beaten a couple of bosses the Fairy Bell is a light source that follows you, and Chlorophyte armour gives you a glowing gem above your head. By the point you're at, most of your weapons probably provide light too.

You should probably use torches generally, though. They make good route markers as well as lighting your way.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck

Mzbundifund posted:

Shine potions. Glowing mushroom + day bloom.

Mix with Night owl potions for optimal effect.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
I'm lazy and just spam the poo poo out of flares everywhere. They last until you exit the world and even stay lit underwater! A stack of them costs next to nothing.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Fishstick posted:

In addition to what was previously said, having your home floating above ground will keep Wraiths/Reapers from phasing through the walls and murdering all your NPCs during Blood Moons/Eclipses.

Segway Rave
Dec 25, 2011

this is stanley barton he is the brother of the king and feels sad alot because other people don't like him much they say hes boring and not fun

Fishstick posted:

Definitely not. Buying an item from the Dryad once you activate Hardmode that spreads the nicer of the two endgame biomes and placing it around Corruption/Crimson zones pretty much solves all your problems.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Segway Rave posted:

Definitely not. Buying an item from the Dryad once you activate Hardmode that spreads the nicer of the two endgame biomes and placing it around Corruption/Crimson zones pretty much solves all your problems.
All your problems except getting impaled by unicorns.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Starhawk64 posted:

I miss the Hamdrax, it was nice having an all-in-one tool that could dismantle everything in a few seconds.

Since the hammer literally doesn't break anything except back walls anymore, the Drax or Pickaxe Axe is exactly the same thing with less chance of ripping a giant hole in your base when you need to move a chair.

On a similar note, while using bombs to clear the rubble from the entrance to the Lihzahrd temple, I found that the explosions knock the back walls loose. You can then combine those walls into lihzahrd bricks at any workbench. Meaning depending on your equipment, you can place blocks you can't destroy.

I'm certain there's some use to which that can be put, but I'm not really creative enough for it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Leper Colon V posted:

All your problems except getting impaled by unicorns.

And loving gastropod lasers. Music in the Hallow is way too cheery for a biome that actively seeks your death.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

So... I've been looking at my Jungle/Crimson situation. And my Jungle is actually just in the middle of a streak of Crimson. When it comes for me to go hardmode, I think I'll just copy my entire base and move it to a world where the layout is different.
Can TEdit copy the content of my chests, or do I have to move them manually?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

The Leper Colon V posted:

If you dump a huge amount in, you can get obsidian over a very significant portion of the lava, though. Doing it on the West/left end is a decent way of starting your Wall of Flesh hallway, assuming your dungeon's also on that side. (Otherwise, maybe not worth the trip.)

I'll post up pictures later, but on my newest small world I hit four or five massive underground lakes during my tunneling down, and have created an irrigation system right above the Hell backdrop to channel water to the larger lava pits. It's slow going, but I've obtained over six full stacks of obsidian so far and basically dried out the area next to my hellevator, and the water just keeps coming.

Tell you what, though, it makes mining for hellstone a straight breeze.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Sleepy Owl posted:

Does honey evaporate in hell?

Nope! Make all the crispy honey bridges you want. It's slow going, though, because honey.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

ChibiSoma posted:

You know what else evaporates in hell? loving Plantera.

He can't despawn if you leave the jungle. I was down there leading him across my nearly hell-wide bridge for 14,000 or so HP. We'd reached one end and had turned back, in fact. He just vanished on me. No explanation. Found a bulb near hell, figured that if you could lead him up to the surface, you could do the same to underworld! Apparently not!

Screw it, I'm just gonna use TEdit to give myself the keys. Including the temple key. I'm done dealing with this dumb boss. There was no reason why he might vanish. We hadn't been under the jungle for awhile when he disappeared. Again, we'd literally reached one side of the map and were going back the way we came. I wasn't even outrunning him! Fuckin' he had one of him limbs on the ground near me, I jumped over it, and then he was just gone.

I was willing to give it a couple tries, but this is bullshit. I had that rear end in a top hat dead to rights, the Megashark was destroying him. Then this happens. I'm moving on to Golem. There's an option in TEdit to mark Plantera as being defeated, so hard mode dungeon stuff will start spawning. Up yours, Plantera! t:mad:t
I had a really hard time with finding and fighting Plantera multiple times, to the point where the game ground to a halt. I wound up using TEdit to give myself the Crimson Key and that really settled things out. I figure if there's a safe, slow method to farm then I might as well assume the result and save the tedium.

I would also argue that simply flagging Plantera killed is even more fair game if you just want to be able to farm ectoplasm early like you could on the initial 1.2 release. With mana cuffs, sorceror emblem, spectre armor and magnet sphere, farming the wall for emblems made for a satisfying little diversion given how hard a time the bastard gave me the first go. I've actually found golden shower kills it even quicker, like scary quick.

That being said, even never using the vampire knives again after Plantera, the endgame is a little boring. Can't wait for that update.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

That being said, even never using the vampire knives again after Plantera, the endgame is a little boring. Can't wait for that update.

Yeah, at this point I'm just waiting for a loving eclipse so I can make a terra blade and then I'll likely put down the game until an update.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Hummingbirds posted:

Yeah, at this point I'm just waiting for a loving eclipse so I can make a terra blade and then I'll likely put down the game until an update.
You probably already know this, but having gotten 4 broken hero blades in the one and only eclipse i've had, the terra blade isn't really worth waiting/farming for, honestly.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Kenny Logins posted:

You probably already know this, but having gotten 4 broken hero blades in the one and only eclipse i've had, the terra blade isn't really worth waiting/farming for, honestly.

Oh I'm sure, I don't even play melee anymore, it just seems like a good place to stop.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
The Death Sickle honestly seems like the best melee weapon in the game. Tons of damage, goes through walls, and you can hold the button down. Vampire knives might beat them out with the lifeleech, but they seem to take longer to kill bosses and groups of enemies.

Terra Blade is nice for long range, but if you want to kill stuff at long range why be melee.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Cicadalek posted:

The Death Sickle honestly seems like the best melee weapon in the game. Tons of damage, goes through walls, and you can hold the button down. Vampire knives might beat them out with the lifeleech, but they seem to take longer to kill bosses and groups of enemies.

Oh my yes. Before I picked that up the Wall of Flesh took me something like 1000 blocks of a hell bridge or so to kill. Now it's barely 100 and that's without being in any way efficient with modifiers/accessories. Destroyer is a complete joke, Twins seem like easily killable if I put some effort into buffing up before the fight (before that point I'd be able to kill one and then get gunned down by the other after the second phase), Plantera was already easy peasy without, and I haven't tried my hand against Skeletron Prime.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The Lone Badger posted:

With chloro bullets and +ranged gear it will one shot them, preventing that annoying 'teleport on hit'.

I use the venom bullets because they're cheap and easy to make and they one shot most things anyways.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Cicadalek posted:

Terra Blade is nice for long range, but if you want to kill stuff at long range why be melee.

You clearly haven't seen the Paladin's hammer or Scourge of the Corruptors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

watho posted:

I use the venom bullets because they're cheap and easy to make and they one shot most things anyways.

Chloro bullets in shotguns are hilarious because all of the bullets from each shot will converge on a single target and delete them. It also looks really loving cool. :pcgaming:

• Locked thread