Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
for those with cutting yourself on a mandoline fears - you shouldn't cut yourself when the food item is still really big or whatever, and when you start working it down to where your fingers are in the danger zone, just grab your item of food with a doubled over dish rag, that's what I do.

Inevitably the rag gets stuck in the blade, but I've never hurt myself with this method, the rag won't damage the blade, and you have a lot more control than those dumb food guard things that rarely work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I just throw away the end of a potato or whatever.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Goons, I am planning a remodel and have budgeted $5k for a gas range, lay it on me.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

deimos posted:

Goons, I am planning a remodel and have budgeted $5k for a gas range, lay it on me.

just start going to restaurant supply stores and pick one

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

deimos posted:

My parents have a dual fuel Bosch that's pretty awesome. Gas range, Electric oven.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Sharpen a banana slicer.

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Any recommendations on a saute pan?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I dunno getting a double wide griddle and/or a built in Salamander would be one of the bossest things (I don't like cleaning pans)

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

deimos posted:

Get this

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

oneliquidninja posted:

Any recommendations on a saute pan?

Go to HomeGoods or Ross or TJ Maxx and see if you can find a discounted Cuisinart multi-clad saute pan. They're only slightly more expensive than disc bottom pans and they give you a little extra insurance against scorched food

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

That thing is so awesome I want to cry. I'd never stop flat-toppin' anything.

feelz good man
Jan 21, 2007

deal with it

Iron Lung posted:

That thing is so awesome I want to cry. I'd never stop flat-toppin' anything.
Just curious, who here is a commercialcookist with a flat top, and who religiously scours it vs lets their flat top build up flavour/patina?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Thanks deimos, now I really want a 60" Blue Star with some really loud knobs.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Redoing my gas line to more than 3/4" isn't in the plan or I would be terribly tempted. 1 1/4" gas lines would probably require me to get a commercial kitchen gas tank.

edit: To be specific I would do a Garland, maybe not that Garland. Although now I need to go look at BlueStar RNBs.

Hed posted:

Thanks deimos, now I really want a 60" Blue Star with some really loud knobs.

That's like 3x my budget.

deimos fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 17, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

deimos posted:

Redoing my gas line to more than 3/4" isn't in the plan or I would be terribly tempted. 1 1/4" gas lines would probably require me to get a commercial kitchen gas tank.

There's another model on their site that has a 3/4in gas line, I think. Same model, just different specs.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

deimos posted:

edit: To be specific I would do a Garland, maybe not that Garland. Although now I need to go look at BlueStar RNBs.

That's like 3x my budget.

I got a Bluestar 6 burner a little over 5 years ago.
It is a big box of fire. No gadgets and bells and whistles. No circuit boards.
2 x 22,000 BTU burners, 3 x 15K, 1 x simmer - no idea but not really worth it as the other burners get real low.
So I guess that is now called a RNB366BV1

Convection oven and serious business broiler. Electric oven would be ideal, but this has never failed me and heats pretty even. And I can fit 3 full sheet pans in it to cook a billion cookies or hors d'oeuvres at once.

I would definitely recommend it and buy it again, but I would get them to do another 22k burner in the front and put the 3 15k burners across the back because the simmer burner is not much weaker than the 15K burners.

KWC fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 17, 2013

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

KWC posted:

I would definitely recommend it and buy it again, but I would get them to do another 22k burner in the front and put the 3 15k burners across the back because the simmer burner is not much weaker than the 15K burners.

You know you can do this yourself right? Just order the burner and the orifices and replace the ones you want to replace and adjust the venturi.

The usefulness of the simmer burner is the low flame, so it's useful for doing chocolate without scorching it.

KWC
Jul 5, 2007
Hello

deimos posted:

You know you can do this yourself right? Just order the burner and the orifices and replace the ones you want to replace and adjust the venturi.

The usefulness of the simmer burner is the low flame, so it's useful for doing chocolate without scorching it.

Oh I know I can do it. I'm just saying I would have them do it from the start if I bought it again. I use the simmer burner from time to time and it is awesome to keep a big pot of stock or a stovetop braise going for a long time at a low simmer - but I don't think it can maintain as low as 130°F - and I can get pretty darn low on the normal burners. Even with the grate set to the highest level and the burner turned down as low as it can I still get more heat than I want out of a special separate burner. I use my portable induction burner for that super low fine control stuff now so no immediate need to deal with it.

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

deimos posted:

I have a Capital Culinarian and loving love it.

http://www.capital-cooking.com/product/385#null

For your budget though I think you could get the self-clean, which also has a rotisserie. We didn't feel like we'd use it all that much :shrug:.

It's a loving tank, cranks out BTUs and still simmers great, and is easy to clean.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

feelz good man posted:

Just curious, who here is a commercialcookist with a flat top, and who religiously scours it vs lets their flat top build up flavour/patina?

I clean mine at the end of each shift.

When we go house hunting later this year, I plan to get a house with the worst kitchen so I can rip out all the cabinets and appliances, and put in all stainless shelving(no cabinets!) and stainless tables with shelves under. One section of wood right next to the range for food prep. It will be the best kitchen because I loving hate cabinets.

Also, back on range/oven. Get a Wolf.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Oct 18, 2013

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Aren't you supposed to keep herbs, spices, sauces, potatoes, onions, garlic etc etc in a dark place? IE you need cabinets/cupboards.

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Fo3 posted:

Aren't you supposed to keep herbs, spices, sauces, potatoes, onions, garlic etc etc in a dark place? IE you need cabinets/cupboards.

True, but you don't need to have cabinets in your kitchen working space. No harm done in converting a nearby closet into a pantry, especially considering it his his dream house/kitchen.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Fo3 posted:

I go through onions, potatoes and garlic fast enough that it doesn't matter, and I can just keep all of my spices in aluminum tins.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Fair enough. It is your dream kitchen after all ;)

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Also, back on range/oven. Get a Wolf.

I would but this new BlueStar line with 25k burners is awakening my inner pyro.

To be clear the kitchen redo isn't for a while so I am just looking right now.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

PRADA SLUT posted:

Is there a huge difference in Food Processors?

I just want to make some hummus and pesto and basic spreads like that.. Do I need a $300 fuckoff model for some unknown reason over a $35 one? I have a blender already but can't make some spreads easily in it (food gets caught and pushed around too easily).

I'm looking for something small, like for 1 or 2.

This was never answered a few pages back and I'm here to ask the same exact question. What is suggested by all?

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012

Walked posted:

This was never answered a few pages back and I'm here to ask the same exact question. What is suggested by all?

I have one similar to this:

It works great for pretty much anything I've tried making, but the obvious limitation is its size. Unless you need to mix a lot at the same time, a cheap one should work just fine. Mine cost like $50, and it has more than enough power. And if you don't have a stick blender, it's also a very nice appliance to have.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sjonkel posted:

It works great for pretty much anything I've tried making, but the obvious limitation is its size. Unless you need to mix a lot at the same time, a cheap one should work just fine. Mine cost like $50, and it has more than enough power. And if you don't have a stick blender, it's also a very nice appliance to have.

I'm actually replacing a stick blender that burned out on me. Do you know what model that is? Looks pretty cool to me. I rarely cook for more than two, so size is a non-issue.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
That was just an image I found to illustrate, I have no idea what model that is, sorry! I have a 600w Braun, and I remember I was recommended a 600w, but if it makes a huge difference I have no idea. I can check the exact model when I get home later, if you're interested.

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
This might sound silly, but what are some good uses for a stick blender? I got a kitchenaid one recently and have been trying to think of some good ways to take it for a spin.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

My wife uses her immersion blender all the time, mostly to puree soups and salsas, but it can also prep smaller amounts of pesto or other stuff you'd use a food processor to handle. Some have whisk attachments, but she usually uses her hand mixer for that.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Invisible Ted posted:

This might sound silly, but what are some good uses for a stick blender? I got a kitchenaid one recently and have been trying to think of some good ways to take it for a spin.

Also: salad dressings, marinades, baby food, mayonnaise, milkshakes, sauces.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
If you guys want a stick blender, Costco has a great deal on a pretty good one:
http://www.costco.com/Cuisinart%AE-...1&storeId=10301

Once in a while it even drops down to $20

Stick blenders are also great for making home-made mayonnaise, which is waaaay better than store-bought.

It's also great for blending stuff you cooked in a pot, because otherwise people would be cooking soups and then transferring it to a blender, which sucks. Soups, purees, etc.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

If you guys want a stick blender, Costco has a great deal on a pretty good one:
http://www.costco.com/Cuisinart%AE-...1&storeId=10301

Once in a while it even drops down to $20

Stick blenders are also great for making home-made mayonnaise, which is waaaay better than store-bought.

It's also great for blending stuff you cooked in a pot, because otherwise people would be cooking soups and then transferring it to a blender, which sucks. Soups, purees, etc.

I have this exact model and can vouch for its awesomeness, especially for the price.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

GigaFool posted:

Also: salad dressings, marinades, baby food, mayonnaise, milkshakes, sauces.

Soup!

Sjonkel posted:

Oh my, that looks like the old Braun Design :swoon: What brand is that?

Brauns were loving awesome.

deimos fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 21, 2013

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
It only says Braun 600w on mine, but again, any of them will probably work fine. And stick blenders are amazing for soups! So many options when it comes to delicious soups, just cook some things you like, use the stick blender, and you have a great soup. You can also use a stick blender for making mashed potatoes if you don't like it chunky, for guacamole, for purees and so on. Not something you'll use every day, but certainly something that opens up options.

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

deimos posted:

Soup!

Oh my, that looks like the old Braun Design :swoon: What brand is that?

Brauns were loving awesome.

That's a Sunbeam (for some reason, I recognize that logo on sight). Looks like the SM6400, which has a 600W motor, too!

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Sjonkel posted:

You can also use a stick blender for making mashed potatoes if you don't like it chunky, for guacamole, for purees and so on. Not something you'll use every day, but certainly something that opens up options.

You don't blend potatoes because it does nasty stuff to the starches I thought.

Also Braun is dead as a brand but some companies got the design/name trademark from it's corpse.

Kugyou no Tenshi posted:

That's a Sunbeam (for some reason, I recognize that logo on sight). Looks like the SM6400, which has a 600W motor, too!

Watts aren't everything, but if it's the actual Braun design it's probably good. I think maybe only second to Bamix.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

stick blender guacamole makes me so loving sad. :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
If that makes you sad, what does stick blender mash potato do for you?

• Locked thread