Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caros
May 14, 2008

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

I've seen a few people with that opinion. However 00 and Unicorn handle the whole pacifism ideal way better than SEED did. The last episode of Unicorn felt like it was just a huge set up for episode 7, which seeing as it is now feature film length, I've got really high expectations for it. As for BF, I'm liking it way more than I thought I would. As you all have said the fight choreography is awesome. If this is the goofy fun we get before the Origin comes in and blows minds, I'm 100 percent game.

Oh I agree with that 100% SEED's attempt at dealing with pacifism is Kira getting a Mobile Suit that is so strong no one can really fight against him. Unicorn has had some wonderful action scenes intermixed, but I guess I just get annoyed at Banager's Newtype brain problems as he yells at people for the 30th time to stop fighting.

At the end of the day I just like BF because it lets you have fun with Gundam. Excluding G Gundam the vast majority of the series is pretty loving depressing, and for once its fun to see a straight up Shonen Battle Anime about my favorite robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Caros posted:

Oh I agree with that 100% SEED's attempt at dealing with pacifism is Kira getting a Mobile Suit that is so strong no one can really fight against him. Unicorn has had some wonderful action scenes intermixed, but I guess I just get annoyed at Banager's Newtype brain problems as he yells at people for the 30th time to stop fighting.

At the end of the day I just like BF because it lets you have fun with Gundam. Excluding G Gundam the vast majority of the series is pretty loving depressing, and for once its fun to see a straight up Shonen Battle Anime about my favorite robots.

I'd go check out some of the games and sidestories if you want a bit more on the side of happier. I'd be happy to link some stuff in the actual Gundam thread for you, I just don't want to derail here anymore than I have.

I also want to note, I'd love to see Sei take after his dad and wind up with the Build Nu instead of the Build Freedom. Especially since we see Reiji as a Build Mk. 2 in the credits.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 20, 2013

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Sei's room is filled with SEED kits, so I doubt it. He's about the right age to have grown up with SEED as his first Gundam series too.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Sei's room is filled with SEED kits, so I doubt it. He's about the right age to have grown up with SEED as his first Gundam series too.
Then again, his dream sequence in the first episode had him launching from the Albion from 0083.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AradoBalanga posted:

Then again, his dream sequence in the first episode had him launching from the Albion from 0083.

It was the United Nations Spacy Albion - so it's the Macross equivalent of the Albion. Somehow. A nice little reference regardless.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm pretty sure Sei likes all Gundam because the protagonist of the show is unlikely to dislike any* Gundam show. Considering we're also getting a Build Mk.II the odds are fairly good we'll see both a Build SEED upgrade and a Build UC upgrade. A Build Akatsuki was shown off and Build (X) seems to be the protagonist suit names at this point going off Strike and Mk. II.

(*We'll see if AGE ever gets mentioned.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Oct 21, 2013

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

tsob posted:

It was the United Nations Spacy Albion - so it's the Macross equivalent of the Albion. Somehow. A nice little reference regardless.

The Earth Federation Space Forces are also called UNT Spacy in 0080 and 0083, it's the same as EFSF. They're being true to the series by putting it on there.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

As long as someone, at some point, is using a custom God Gundam, I'll be happy. If the customization used is to give it TWO burning fingers instead of one, I'll be ecstatic.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Infinity Gaia posted:

As long as someone, at some point, is using a custom God Gundam, I'll be happy. If the customization used is to give it TWO burning fingers instead of one, I'll be ecstatic.

But God Gundam already had two God Fingers in its show.

Edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRAOhrmJIdA - 3:54

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 21, 2013

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

TaurusOxford posted:

What he needs is the silver feet to compliment those golden fingers.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

AradoBalanga posted:

He was also piloting the Strike and wearing Kira's pilot suit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

TaurusOxford posted:

I'd completely forgotten about that. I guess I'm happy anyways then?

No wait, someone needs to be using a custom Nether Gundam. With the windmill blades replaces by actual blades.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI4zRExqv4U

Great battles, Reiji continues to be a troll, and THE SPHERICAL COFFIN!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm pretty sure Sei likes all Gundam because the protagonist of the show is unlikely to dislike any* Gundam show. Considering we're also getting a Build Mk.II the odds are fairly good we'll see both a Build SEED upgrade and a Build UC upgrade. A Build Akatsuki was shown off and Build (X) seems to be the protagonist suit names at this point going off Strike and Mk. II.

(*We'll see if AGE ever gets mentioned.)
But how does he feel about G-Savior and Gundam FMV?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

After three episodes I'm 90% sure this show was not made to sell gunpla but to show that Ramba Ral is the greatest gundam character.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I'm pretty sure the initial joke is that Ral was using one of the old and lovely pre-HG Goufs. :allears:

EDIT: Well poo poo, that makes three solid episodes in a row. I'm tempted to change the thread title to "Gundam Build Fighters - Actually Pretty Good" now.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 21, 2013

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Ethiser posted:

After three episodes I'm 90% sure this show was not made to sell gunpla but to show that Ramba Ral is the greatest gundam character.

I have to wonder how the cosplaying fanboys in the show view Ramba. Do they think he's just a fanatic who modeled his looks after his favorite character and changed his name or does Ramba not exist in the original show in the show's universe or what. I know the Gouf obviously does, but maybe some other guy piloted it in their version of the show or something. Anyways, another fun episode with some good reaction faces and a Mahiroo shoutout. What was the suit Reiji beat using his rented Ball after that though? Don't recognize it. Looks like it could be a ZZ suit from the amount of in-built guns on it's chest in a later shot. Kind of disappointed we not only didn't get to see the Fenice in action, we didn't even get to see what suit Reiji used against him for 200 battles since his Ball was busted and we don't get any kind of final tally either. It was nice that Reiji wasn't invincible and got destroyed 5 on 1 though at least.I know I'm liking this show because I teared up a little at the end when Sei got emotional about their win. Really looking forward to seeing the re-match against Yuuki.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, M'Quve The Early Years is really growing on me. With a suit like this, I can fight for another ten years if necessary!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
"Do you have any for girls?" OK, that means that whatever the class president is going to fly is either going to be useless or loving terrifying. I'm hoping for a Qubeley. White and pink, of course.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

There were a lot of great moments in this episode, but I think my favorite was when all the Zeon cosplayers started giving Reiji poo poo when they heard he didn't build models. Even in another universe, there is RD vs Gunpla. :v:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

"Do you have any for girls?" OK, that means that whatever the class president is going to fly is either going to be useless or loving terrifying. I'm hoping for a Qubeley. White and pink, of course.

She's seen in the OP with some sort of Bearguy so it's probably gonna be that.

I have no complaints about this because Bearguy rules :colbert:

Srice fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 21, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Psycho Gundam. :getin:

But yeah sadly it's gonna be the Bearguy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Guess we're gonna see yet another version of a Strike Rouge then :v:.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
The weird Soma Pieres/Four Murasame girl in the OP appears to have some sort of Tekkaman Blade Qubeley, so there's that.

I was a little disappointed in the episode since the Fenice didn't get any real action against Reiji, but otherwise I think the episode was very enjoyable. Especially Reiji's "origin" done completely in crayon. We do read too much manga Reiji, we do.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Holy poo poo, that was Blue Destiny 01 fighting Blue Destiny 03. I can honestly say I didn't expect them to show up.

That's probably my favorite part of this show so far, getting to see all these MSVs and side story Mobile Suits in action. Even if it's just a few seconds, it's a lot more than the BD01 or BD03 have ever gotten.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I imagine they're saving the Fenice's big show for when Sei and Reiji actually take it on in a proper tournament. They already previewed one scary boss suit in a proper battle with the Zaku Amazing - another might be a bit redundant.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I like how if you look closely, you can tell that ral used the old lovely gouf model from the early eighties during his fight with Sei. The elbows and knees don't move and it's got a similar blocky styling.

The little details in this show are nice.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
lovely? What are you talking about, this thing is pure perfection!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

TNG posted:

lovely? What are you talking about, this thing is pure perfection!

Ramba Ral deserves better. Real Grade Gouf all the way. :colbert:

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
This show continues to surprise, it's shallow sure, but I don't know how a Gundam fan could hate it. The constant stream of different suits is just great. There were a bunch in this episode I didn't recognize that the guys in the bar were using. Though I was slightly disappointed when a bunch of guys dressed up like Zeon didn't only have a bunch of old Zeon suits like we saw in Gundam Unicorn Episode 4. I need to go back and rewatch to see what I missed.

I hope Ral keeps showing up with sequentially upgraded Goufs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure one of the guys in the bar was using a Kampfer Prototype. That's the only one of their suits I have any idea about, though.

EDIT: I think I saw an Aries, but it'd be weird as hell for guys in a Zeon cosplay bar to be using a Wing suit.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 21, 2013

Caros
May 14, 2008

I think one of the most fun parts of this show is going to be testing my Gundam knowledge. Its like a trivia show where they flash five seconds of a Gunpla before it explodes and you have to guess which gunpla it is.

Also, no love for the thread for the Mobile Coffin reference? I always loved that feddies called it that, and its wonderful to see the nickname being used in a show.

They did a great double fake with the Reiji/Ral meeting up section. The whole scene including the dialogue is framed so that you think Ral is probably from another world just like Reiji and then, nope, Ramba Ral has no idea what you're talking about... now come play plastic robots with Nazi cosplayers in this seedy bar.

Caros fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 21, 2013

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
The trend so far seems to be to showcase a lot of existing mobile suits, but introduce one BF-original robot per episode. This episode had two, I guess, but one was an semi-upgrade while the other didn't really do anything yet.

I'm glad Sei point-blank asked Reiji what his deal was at the beginning of the episode, rather than dance around it for half the series. Reiji is obviously not telling the whole story (if it's even close to the truth) but at least the question has been put on the backburner because he doesn't want to tell, rather than because Sei decided not to worry about it for some anime reason.

The "Are there any for girls?" line at the end made me roll my eyes a bit, because obviously the dozens of models the camera was panning across were for boyz only. Of course, this show is a combination of Gundam fanservice and safe-as-hell hobby shounen, so I'm not holding my breath for stereotype-defying portrayals of female characters. At least it's not AGE, I guess.

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Gundam Build Fighters - Better than AGE!

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure one of the guys in the bar was using a Kampfer Prototype. That's the only one of their suits I have any idea about, though.

That was a Bawoo in grunt colors.

I'm really wondering what the suit on the left is at the beginning of the scene when two suits cross heat sabers. The one on the right I think is a Dom Prototype, but I have absolutely no idea what the one on the left is.

Caros posted:

Also, no love for the thread for the Mobile Coffin reference? I always loved that feddies called it that, and its wonderful to see the nickname being used in a show.

I got a laugh when the guy mentions the Flannagan Institute as well. Also if we don't see a Ball Gundam in the show I'll be severely disappointed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

To be fair, the class president is kind of traditionally 'feminine' (wears pink, nurturing, draws pictures of flowers) so I could see her wanting something that wasn't grim and gritty with two-dozen swords coming out of its rear end. The problem is less that question and that so far she's the only female character we've seen shown any interest in the hobby. Hopefully those two other girls in the OP will improve that ratio.

I'm assuming the Mario cosplayer with the kitbashed X-Divider is a girl, anyway. Might be a guy. :v:

Faltion posted:

That was a Bawoo in grunt colors.

Dammit. Those two suits look pretty similar, but the Bawoo's more angular - the grunt colors threw me off. When I think about the bawoo, I imagine it in searing sunset orange.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

I'm assuming the Mario cosplayer with the kitbashed X-Divider is a girl, anyway. Might be a guy. :v:

Nah, he's a guy. Next episode will be introducing another girl though, and the ED show two more.

Also that's just the X, not the Divider. :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

BlitzBlast posted:

Nah, he's a guy. Next episode will be introducing another girl though, and the ED show two more.

Also that's just the X, not the Divider. :colbert:
Fair enough either way, then.

And to be honest I was pretty sure it was the regular X and not the Divider but X-Divider is a lot more fun to say.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Isn't the kid in the opening and ending with the straw hat and overalls also a girl? Guess not.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > ADTRW > Gundam Build Fighters - Actually He's A Guy

At this rate the shocking twist will be that the girl in the OP is a boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I'm not actually convinced anyone in this show is a guy. Not even Ral.

• Locked thread