Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

Flesnolk posted:

You can vassalise the Pope if you raise an Antipope and win their war for the Papacy. I assume the "I am the Pope's liege lord" thing would've been completely unthinkable in the day?

See I did this and the only result was a new pope who absolutely loved me and the bishopric he held previously becoming papal lands. He wasn't under my control and promptly died for someone who later excommunicated me. What exactly did I do wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

ColtMcAsskick posted:

See I did this and the only result was a new pope who absolutely loved me and the bishopric he held previously becoming papal lands. He wasn't under my control and promptly died for someone who later excommunicated me. What exactly did I do wrong?

I'm pretty sure that the last this came up it was discovered that the Antipope must be part of your dynasty. Make your brother the Antipope, press his claim and have a loyal vassal pope.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet

Trustworthy posted:

Using the Old Gods start, I started as the Count of Dorset.

A significant figure in real life as well.

ColtMcAsskick posted:

The papacy is a king-level title, if you are aren't an emperor pressing your antipope's claim will make him independent.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Yeah, you have to be an emperor because you can't have a vassal who has the same rank as you.

If y'all think that's crazy, in my game where the Byzantine Emperor did this, the Pope is now his spymaster.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Flesnolk posted:

If y'all think that's crazy, in my game where the Byzantine Emperor did this, the Pope is now his spymaster.
Nobody ever suspects the Pope.

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

Flesnolk posted:

Think of all those sweet, sweet confessions...

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Anglo-Saxon-ruled Scottish lands, Welsh-ruled Anglo-Saxon lands, Scottish-ruled Irish lands, Cornish-ruled Scottish lands, Anglo-Saxon-ruled Cornish lands, Norse-ruled Anglo-Saxon lands... :psyduck:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
CK2's page updated, maybe we'll get more info on-DEAR GOD

Calling it now, we'll be playing as Odoacer and Attila before the year is out. :black101:

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Oct 21, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I'm trying to get better at CK2 currently playing Ireland and following the LP loosely. I started with Dublin and now I created both the duchy with Dublin and Leninster and also captured a fifth county. Basically I'm getting the grasp of the game I think military wise. Is there no other way to gain land other than getting claims fabricated? I tried to press some of my vassals claims but the war was basically useless because at the end the guy got the county for him and became independent, even worse he became vassal of the neighbouring petty king... Thanks for nothing rear end in a top hat... No way for making him my vassal even tho he likes me very much.

I'm still having a hard time arranging marriage that are benefical to me, any tips on that? Or in general

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Le0 posted:

I'm trying to get better at CK2 currently playing Ireland and following the LP loosely. I started with Dublin and now I created both the duchy with Dublin and Leninster and also captured a fifth county. Basically I'm getting the grasp of the game I think military wise. Is there no other way to gain land other than getting claims fabricated? I tried to press some of my vassals claims but the war was basically useless because at the end the guy got the county for him and became independent, even worse he became vassal of the neighbouring petty king... Thanks for nothing rear end in a top hat... No way for making him my vassal even tho he likes me very much.

I'm still having a hard time arranging marriage that are benefical to me, any tips on that? Or in general

Pagans and Muslims have more chances for expansion, if that's worth anything. With marriages, you could try to matrilineally wed (County) claimants into your family, give them titles, and press them.

Ireland is a small Kingdom, though, so you can form it relatively quickly and then grab the rest of it through De Jure claims.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Oct 21, 2013

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Calling it now, we'll be playing as Odoacer and Attila before the year is out. :black101:

Oh come on, Rome gets burned down every few days now, so long as there are Norse.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Going back to the Fall of [Western] Rome?

Also, I just got back into the game after a bit of a hiatus, back at CK2+. When the heck did they change Romuva to "Baltic" and Sumoenusko to "Finnic"? Are they functionally the same as their previously-named religions? Was it not a CK2+ thing and a general CK2 thing?

Also also yay, they implemented my suggestion to break Rus up into at least three different de jure kingdoms!

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Geokinesis posted:

I think the only DLC that would get worse responses would be one focussing on Romani,

Is it wrong of me that now I want Paradox to release a DLC explicitly for the purpose of baiting racists? "CK2: Now with Jews, Romani, and, aw what the hell, African Americans and Aborigines."

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
I got CK2 as part of that bundle, and I'm waiting for a sale on the DLC and expansions before I plunge in, but I think I might have to adjust my mindset significantly. In readiness for CK2 I played CK1 as a lowly lord, to see if I could work my way up to king, and I had this massive urge to focus on building improvements to my domain. But as many as I built, I just didn't seem to get any significant advantage over my lowly neighbours that would allow me to overwhelm them. I expect I need to forget about territory management and focus on relationship management?

Also, if there any disadvantage to changing succession systems to allow da womens to inherit? I figured it would be the most stable of all dynastic systems as you wouldn't be caught out by a lack of sons.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Exioce posted:

I got CK2 as part of that bundle, and I'm waiting for a sale on the DLC and expansions before I plunge in, but I think I might have to adjust my mindset significantly. In readiness for CK2 I played CK1 as a lowly lord, to see if I could work my way up to king, and I had this massive urge to focus on building improvements to my domain. But as many as I built, I just didn't seem to get any significant advantage over my lowly neighbours that would allow me to overwhelm them. I expect I need to forget about territory management and focus on relationship management?

Also, if there any disadvantage to changing succession systems to allow da womens to inherit? I figured it would be the most stable of all dynastic systems as you wouldn't be caught out by a lack of sons.

Feel free to play without the expansions. Almost everything in them got patched into the base game as well and they mostly only unlock new ways (countries, the earlier time period) to play.

You'll want them eventually, but don't hold back because of it.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Exioce posted:

Upgrading your holdings is useful if you have the excess money, but it's usually not going to make or break you until the pretty late game. Mostly, military might comes from held territory and vassals, and upgrading your Military Organization tech for extra retinue points (retinues being noticeably better than levy troops). Mostly though, at least for Christians, manipulating claims and inheritance is a much better way of expanding your territory.

Well, unless you are Basque culture, you aren't able to have Absolute Cognatic (women on equal terms to men) inheritence. The only disadvantage of Agnatic-Cognatic (women inherit if there are no qualified men) is that female rulers/rulers with female heirs take a relations penalty with their vassals.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Exioce posted:

You need to be slightly more careful in case a woman in a patrilineal marriage becomes your heir, I guess.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Do Norse Norse get larger retinues than Christians?

I converted to Christianity because my guy ~~loved~~ his Jesusy concubine or something and it seemed like a good thing to do. While my giant retinue didn't shrink, the limit in the retinue tab dropped by like 10k.

Also in this current game, my vassals are all in goddamn overdrive. My empire spans from the British Isles south through France and into northern and western Spain. With chunks on the west coast of Africa and bits of Norway. The last bits I personally took were the northern coast of France and a duchy in Spain. Everything else has been my vassals. The Duke of Brittany pushed south all the way to Navarra. When he kicked the bucket, his son who inherited Navarra went pushed into Spain and then prepared an invasion into Morocco.

And I'm still getting adventurers leaving my shores to take over places all across the map.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
One advantage of unreformed Norse is a 50% larger retinue, which goes away when you reform the faith, or convert to Christianity.

So yes, unreformed Norse get larger retinues than Christians.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

DrPop posted:

Going back to the Fall of [Western] Rome?

Also, I just got back into the game after a bit of a hiatus, back at CK2+. When the heck did they change Romuva to "Baltic" and Sumoenusko to "Finnic"? Are they functionally the same as their previously-named religions? Was it not a CK2+ thing and a general CK2 thing?

Also also yay, they implemented my suggestion to break Rus up into at least three different de jure kingdoms!

They got changed because the names are mainly neopagan religion names instead of historical names, even if they did sound cool.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Perhaps this is some kind of mega-update for people who have no land of their own. (Or at least until they conquer it.) Romani, Jewish, all sorts of barbarians? Let's just really piss off those weirdos on the CK2 forums!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
OK, I'm trying to mod in better retinues for Sub-Saharan Africans, but I can't seem to get it to work.
code:
RETTYPE_CUL_ETHIO = 
{
	first_type = 0
	first_amount = 250

second_type = 4
	second_amount = 250

culture = ethiopian

modifier = {
		light_infantry_offensive = 0.3
		heavy_infantry_offensive = 0.3
	}
}
When I load up the game, the retinue types lists correctly (250 light/250 heavy) in the retinue screen, but when I actually create the retinue, it's all Light Infantry, and the bonuses are still +60% Light Infantry Offense. Do I need to edit it in another place as well?

Autism
Jul 1, 2009

FREEDOM
INCARNATE
Is there any reason to not conquer territory as a trade republic? I sort of like the idea of a super far reaching Venitian empire with hella cash.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

fool_of_sound posted:

OK, I'm trying to mod in better retinues for Sub-Saharan Africans, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Wouldn't a mixed retinue like this be worse?

Not only do you have a smaller %bonus to offense, but commander bonuses and tactics will generally hinder half of your troops.

Light Foot Leader gives a +20% bonus to light infantry at the cost of -10% to heavy.

Raid gives light infantry a +240% bonus, but does nothing for heavy infantry. Shield Wall provides a significantly larger boost to heavy infantry than light.

Edit: Would it be possible to add a culture specific tactic to the skirmish phase that helps prevent them from being chewed up before the melee phase?

code:
# Mali
op_african_skirmish = {
	days = 6
	sprite = 1
	group = charge

trigger = {
		phase = skirmish  
		light_infantry = 0.01
		flank_has_leader = yes
		leader = {culture = west_african}
	}

mean_time_to_happen = {
		days = 3
		modifier = {
			factor = 3
			flank_has_leader = yes
			leader = {
				martial = 10
			}
			light_troops = { 
				who = light_infantry
				value = 0.4
			}
		}
	}

change_phase_to = melee

light_infantry_defensive = 4.2
	heavy_infantry_defensive = -1.6

}

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 21, 2013

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

KPC_Mammon posted:

Wouldn't a mixed retinue like this be worse?

Not only do you have a smaller %bonus to offense, but commander bonuses and tactics will generally hinder half of your troops.

Light Foot Leader gives a +20% bonus to light infantry at the cost of -10% to heavy.

Raid gives light infantry a x2.4 bonus, but does nothing for heavy infantry. Shield Wall provides a significantly larger boost to heavy infantry than light.

I've been trying to play with the full Light Infantry units, and even with those bonuses and an excellent commander, Light Infantry retinues remain dramatically less useful than generic Shock retinues. They have crap morale and die really easily. I may mess with the numbers a bit, but the Aztec troops (which this is emulating) seem to do decently enough.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Who needs Rome 2? We'll just work our way back to the Babylonians, one DLC at a time. :shepface:

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Who needs Rome 2? We'll just work our way back to the Babylonians, one DLC at a time. :shepface:

Caveman Kings 2.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Dauntasa posted:

Caveman Kings 2.

Interesting Characters: Fred Flintstone, Count of Bedrock

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

quiggy posted:

Interesting Characters: Fred Flintstone, Count of Bedrock

Plot: Revoke Fruity Pebbles from Baron Barney of Rubble

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I kind of hope they rework the crusade mechanic at some point, I'm not a big fan of the way it works at the moment. It's so rare that a Christian kingdom in the Holy Land ever emerges organically.

e: Also, some sort of large scale religious war option for Orthodox, and Holy Orders too. Right now, they're impotent compared to pretty much every other religion without an equivalent to Crusade, Jihad or Great Holy War.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

e: Also, some sort of large scale religious war option for Orthodox, and Holy Orders too. Right now, they're impotent compared to pretty much every other religion without an equivalent to Crusade, Jihad or Great Holy War.

Does that make sense for them historically, though? Was there in reality an Orthodox equivalent of crusades? Because personally, I'm against homogenizing gameplay for the sake of "balance" in situations like this. Give the Orthodox some other interesting gameplay mechanic that was an aspect of the church historically, making every religion play exactly the same is boring.

Dickensian Aspect
Mar 18, 2009
Question about how DLC works: I only have vanilla CK2 at the moment and I'm thinking of adding some variety to a game I have going with the Byzantines. If I buy Legacy of Rome, will I be able to load my old save in it and suddenly gain access to retinues and mending the schism and what have you? Or would I have to start over?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Isn't the Paradox stream supposed to be live right now? Any idea what's going on?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Midnight Voyager posted:

Let's just really piss off those weirdos on the CK2 forums!

Yeah it's not titled "Balkan Übermensch DLC" so that's guaranteed to happen anyway.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

As the king of Ireland I fabricated a claim on the duchy of Essex and took it. The crown of England soon passed to a new ruler and the former duchess of Essex had a claim on a neighboring duchy, so I went to war again and took that too. The she went to war with England using 'Essexian claim on England'.

Obviously, it would suck if she won (which she would have), as she would no longer be my vassal and would have taken her 5-county chunk with her. Revoking her title wasn't an option due to English crown laws, and imprisoning, revoking, and executing her caused such a poo poo-storm that it wasn't really an option. I ended up having to assassinate her, but her heir, the guy whose duchy I helped her take took over and continued the war, so I had to kill him too. Only then did the war end.

That was the end of it, but that was some nonsense. 500 gold to keep some too-big-for-their-britches vassals from conquering their way out of my realm. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Clanpot Shake posted:

As the king of Ireland I fabricated a claim on the duchy of Essex and took it. The crown of England soon passed to a new ruler and the former duchess of Essex had a claim on a neighboring duchy, so I went to war again and took that too. The she went to war with England using 'Essexian claim on England'.

Obviously, it would suck if she won (which she would have), as she would no longer be my vassal and would have taken her 5-county chunk with her. Revoking her title wasn't an option due to English crown laws, and imprisoning, revoking, and executing her caused such a poo poo-storm that it wasn't really an option. I ended up having to assassinate her, but her heir, the guy whose duchy I helped her take took over and continued the war, so I had to kill him too. Only then did the war end.

That was the end of it, but that was some nonsense. 500 gold to keep some too-big-for-their-britches vassals from conquering their way out of my realm. What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

Try to keep your vassals small, impotent, and claimless. It's a lot harder than it sounds, especially on lower authority levels.

E: be glad you noticed what was going on before she won the war and you lost a large chunk of your kingdom. Things like this are why I like to keep a few hundred gold in hand at all times.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Baudin posted:

Try to keep your vassals small, impotent, and claimless. It's a lot harder than it sounds, especially on lower authority levels.

E: be glad you noticed what was going on before she won the war and you lost a large chunk of your kingdom. Things like this are why I like to keep a few hundred gold in hand at all times.

What I like doing is giving every Duke a single county and giving all the other counties in his duchy to the biggest assholes I can find so that he's got 3 or so counts under him constantly loving with him so he can never get anything done. I like my Dukes Content and his Counts Ambitious.

Of course occasionally one of the Ambitious Counts will actually find a way to seize the duchy for himself. Then it's time for :ese:

And since Dukes are even bigger assholes than counts if you ever end up having Vassal Kings then making sure all of their Dukes are huge jerks goes a long way towards keeping them in line.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Guessing by the pictures, I am going to guess that the next DLC will involve a Crusade overhaul. The first press release in particular looks almost exactly like medieval descriptions of peasants leaving for the Holy Land.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Baudin posted:

I started as Dublin and have since built 2 more towns in the province. I'm sitting on fat stacks and can barely spend it all.

I've got problems where my dukes have some intermingling with each other's land. Brittany, Munster, and southern Wales are all at war over some poo poo. I've got a duke in prison I'm not sure what to do with. Thankfully, they all seem to like me well enough. Except the guy in prison who's -100. There's also a weak "Princess Madb for Ireland" faction and there was one for Wales. What do I do about those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Clanpot Shake posted:

I started as Dublin and have since built 2 more towns in the province. I'm sitting on fat stacks and can barely spend it all.

I've got problems where my dukes have some intermingling with each other's land. Brittany, Munster, and southern Wales are all at war over some poo poo. I've got a duke in prison I'm not sure what to do with. Thankfully, they all seem to like me well enough. Except the guy in prison who's -100. There's also a weak "Princess Madb for Ireland" faction and there was one for Wales. What do I do about those?

If you can revoke the prisoner's titles, do it and give them to someone who is Content and preferably really, really dumb. Ignore the factions. Claimant factions never attack until they have at least 30% of your men and even then still almost never attack until they hit 70%. There's always gonna be 2-3 claimant factions in any big country, and the best thing to do is ignore them. If they don't have much power they will very rarely get more unless you piss everyone off. Worry about Independence factions, not claimant factions.

• Locked thread