Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
iTunes in the Cloud and backing my phone up to iCloud has dramatically reduced the amount of storage i need on my laptop. That being said, a full install in addition to my Windows VM would be a little close for comfort. And, in all honesty, a 256gb will make it easier to sell down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You definitely need the 256GB option if you plan on dual-booting Windows 7

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Bob Morales posted:

You definitely need the 256GB option if you plan on dual-booting Windows 7

Yes, even if you save the periods at the ends of sentences.

Maybe some general life advice: Unless you know exactly what you're doing, buying the cheapest low-price entry point of anything is always going to be severely confining. I fondly remember the "Xbox 360 Core" and similar abominations. Don't buy the cheapest thing, buy the second cheapest thing.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I don't get it -- what is it about a simple discussion about specs that causes some nerds to get all embarrassingly aggro?

It's worth it to me to buy the biggest SSD I can afford at the moment. I've gone too small and regretted it.

I've also gone bigger than I probably need, but I haven't regretted that as there's something to be said about not having to mess around with managing space.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

flavor posted:

Maybe some general life advice: Unless you know exactly what you're doing, buying the cheapest low-price entry point of anything is always going to be severely confining. I fondly remember the "Xbox 360 Core" and similar abominations. Don't buy the cheapest thing, buy the second cheapest thing.

^^This should be in the OP, and in the OPs of every buying guide in SH/SC and IYG. I have yet to see a piece of tech where that tenet hasn't held true.

If you have to ask, "Are 128gb of SSD enough?" or "Will 4gb of RAM suffice?" then you should probably spec your computer one step up.

I've probably said this 50 times in this thread but picking the 128gb SSD in order to save $200 at the time is my only regret with my 2011 MBA. While the new battery and Haswell upgrades are really nifty, this loving memory wall is honestly the only thing actively pushing me to upgrade this year.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I don't get it -- what is it about a simple discussion about specs that causes some nerds to get all embarrassingly aggro?

It's worth it to me to buy the biggest SSD I can afford at the moment. I've gone too small and regretted it.

I've also gone bigger than I probably need, but I haven't regretted that as there's something to be said about not having to mess around with managing space.

Maybe it's my severe lack of sleep at the moment .. but I'm not seeing people go bonkers over it here.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

eames posted:

The only really annoying thing about my WD USB 3.0 drive is that it slows down my 2.4 Ghz 802.11n transfer rates significantly. (down to 30% in my case) A thunderbolt enclosure or 5Ghz WiFi would solve that.
Never heard of that issue before :psyduck:. Is this widely known or did you just find out about it after noticing slow speeds or something?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

My work machine is a 128gb/4gb 2012 air and I haven't missed the extra space or RAM. :v:

Spotify made a huge difference though, before that I used a SD card as my library.
The only thing I can't do is dual boot Windows.

I can even use Windows VMs although it struggles a bit with Windows 7 but it works for my needs (IE testing).

I'd like a better machine but I don't really need one, at least not yet. Maybe next year model.

hedgecore
May 2, 2004
Just a PSA that the 2012 Airs had both battery and SSD problems. Mine failed the battery test (needed replacement) but survived the SSD replacement test. The store I brought them to was sold out of batteries and backordered because of this, so if you are out of warranty there may still be some leverage there.

Hoping there aren't any more surprises with this computer.

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
Attempting to install a 240gb Samsung 840 EVO into my 2008 20" C2D iMac with no success. Using an IcyDock 2.5" to 3.5" adapter. Booted from the Snow Leopard disc to try and format, doesn't appear in either Disk Utility or System Profiler.

Is there something I'm missing here? Taking this thing apart repeatedly is hard on my nerves.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Does the adapter have any wiring to it or something like a straight bracket? If the former, have you made sure it works properly? Like hooking it up to an external drive adapter or something. I've heard issues with ones like that before, turned out the adapter was the issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does it show up in a USB adaptor or plugged into another computer or laptop?

Rand McNally
May 20, 2007
I don't have a SATA to USB adapter to test. The adapter I am using does have its own wiring. The second time I pulled it apart, I was going to try the double sided tape method assuming the adapter was the problem, but I am an idiot and did not. I will have to attempt tomorrow, and order another bracket if all else fails.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

@Rand, I wouldn't stick a drive in an iMac without first doing one of a few things externally in an enclosure or with a cheap SATA/IDE -> USB adapter. Mainly, carbon copy cloning the main drive to it after a format & install of OS X. This latter ensures there's a recovery partition (nowadays).

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

porkface posted:

Yeah that's how it went down for me.

So you didn't have any trouble getting a new SSD when yours wasn't appearing? I guess that's pretty obvious proof it's failing. I have an appointment at the fruit stand tomorrow, hopefully it'll be pretty painless.

Really glad I backed up on Friday.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
SWSP made a thread for the iPad event tomorrow, figure it's relevant here if they announce also Macs as expected:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575491

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Yarbald posted:

So you didn't have any trouble getting a new SSD when yours wasn't appearing? I guess that's pretty obvious proof it's failing. I have an appointment at the fruit stand tomorrow, hopefully it'll be pretty painless.

Really glad I backed up on Friday.

Two weeks ago they told me it would be $400 to fix because I was out of warranty. When I saw the recall I scheduled a genius bar appointment and put a link to the "recall" notice in the notes field and it was pretty painless.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
If you have a 2012 MBA and software update doesn't come up with anything, does that mean it's fine (not an affected model) or is it software update loving up? Any way to tell if the SSD is a toshiba without opening the machine up? Disk utility and system information label it an "apple SSD".

eames
May 9, 2009

japtor posted:

Never heard of that issue before :psyduck:. Is this widely known or did you just find out about it after noticing slow speeds or something?

I use MenuMeters to keep an eye on my network throughput and noticed that my download rates were sometimes around 10 MB/s (as they should be) and sometimes capped at 3 MB/s, even though seemingly nothing changed. I thought it was my internet connection, but then I noticed the same thing with LAN transfers. Eventually I singled out the USB 3.0 drive as the culprit and then I found that white paper.

Choadmaster posted:

If you have a 2012 MBA and software update doesn't come up with anything, does that mean it's fine (not an affected model) or is it software update loving up? Any way to tell if the SSD is a toshiba without opening the machine up? Disk utility and system information label it an "apple SSD".

If you have a 256 GB model, you’re fine because Apple only used Samsung SSDs with that capacity.

You can check your exact model in the System Profiler -> SATA/SATAExpress register. Samsung drives typically start with SM, Toshiba with ™.

//edit: looks like the app was renamed to "System Information", just enter that in Spotlight to launch it.

eames fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Oct 22, 2013

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

You can also download the update from the Support site.
Macbook Air Flash Storage Update 1.1 http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I saw this posted:

13" rMBP:

All 13" models have 4th generation dual-core Intel i5/i7, integrated GPU (Intel Iris 5100), PCIe flash and 802.11ac.

CPU (GHz)/RAM (GB)/Flash (GB)
2.4 i5-4258U/4/128
2.4 i5-4258U/8/256
2.4 i5-4258U/8/512
2.8 i7-4558U/8/512
2.8 i7-4558U/16/1TB (BTO)

Which scares me - a 4GB model would have to be at least $200 than the current 8GB base model to be attractive, but the real issue is that Retina graphics are such a memory hog that 4GB simply wouldn't be enough. With just Safari running you are running very close to 4GB.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I saw this posted:

13" rMBP:

All 13" models have 4th generation dual-core Intel i5/i7, integrated GPU (Intel Iris 5100), PCIe flash and 802.11ac.

CPU (GHz)/RAM (GB)/Flash (GB)
2.4 i5-4258U/4/128
2.4 i5-4258U/8/256
2.4 i5-4258U/8/512
2.8 i7-4558U/8/512
2.8 i7-4558U/16/1TB (BTO)

Which scares me - a 4GB model would have to be at least $200 than the current 8GB base model to be attractive, but the real issue is that Retina graphics are such a memory hog that 4GB simply wouldn't be enough. With just Safari running you are running very close to 4GB.

Yeah that doesn't make much sense unless they got some voodoo running to make it work much better under 4gb.

If a 4gb rMBP is announced I'm assuming that means the standard MBP is being phased out then and this is the low cost replacement.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

8GB / 256GB is looking like the sweet spot at the moment

eames
May 9, 2009

I really hope they won't drop the dGPU for the 15" yet. :ohdear:
Maybe they’ll replace the old MBP with a low-end rMBP using only integrated GT3 graphics?

FCKGW posted:

Yeah that doesn't make much sense unless they got some voodoo running to make it work much better under 4gb.

something like memory compression (a new feature in Mavericks!)

eames fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Oct 22, 2013

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

32GB RAM is the minimum for me to be comfortable with a machine working on HD video stuff. Many of the nested compositions and assets are often 2x HD or 4X HD (backgrounds, mattes, illustrations, whathaveyou) and to work in real time you'll fill up 16GB in a jiffy working on a basic modern show. Caching to SSD helps, but isn't everything.

I really want a retina MacBook Pro with 32GB RAM. :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

eames posted:

I haven't seen over 200MB compressed according to activity monitor yet on a 4GB machine.

FCKGW posted:

If a 4gb rMBP is announced I'm assuming that means the standard MBP is being phased out then and this is the low cost replacement.
I didn't even think about that.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

eames posted:

I really hope they won't drop the dGPU for the 15" yet. :ohdear:
Maybe they’ll replace the old MBP with a low-end rMBP using only integrated GT3 graphics?

I just dont understand how memory compression can possibly make anything faster. It just doesn't seem like it should work.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I just dont understand how memory compression can possibly make anything faster. It just doesn't seem like it should work.

Compressing RAM is many, many times faster than swapping it out to disk. It's not going to perform miracles and make a 4GB machine feel like an 8GB one though.

http://lwn.net/Articles/545244/

eames
May 9, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

It is faster than swapping to the disk. There’s no way that it is faster than using more, uncompressed physical memory.

But since we have PCIe SSDs approaching 1GB/s, that is still quite impressive. It should reduce disk wear too.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

Compressing RAM is many, many times faster than swapping it out to disk. It's not going to perform miracles and make a 4GB machine feel like an 8GB one though.

http://lwn.net/Articles/545244/

I guess I am just taking a queue back from the olden days of compression, where it was slow and cumbersome. Now it's all fast and efficient :science:

eames posted:

It is faster than swapping to the disk. There’s no way that it is faster than using more, uncompressed physical memory.

But since we have PCIe SSDs approaching 1GB/s, that is still quite impressive. It should reduce disk wear too.

It still amazes me how fast these "drives" are. I mean, it wasn't too long ago when SSDs were first considered acceptable/stable to use by OEMs for the mass market. Tons of people give Apple heat for being overpriced, not innovating, but I just don't see it when they were the first (IIRC) to push PCIe SSDs in mainstream products like the MBA.

mAlfunkti0n fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 22, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Event thread is open.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

mAlfunkti0n posted:

I guess I am just taking a queue back from the olden days of compression, where it was slow and cumbersome. Now it's all fast and efficient :science:

Lots of storage vendors are offering on-the-fly compression of data now, the idea being that reading x amount of data off a spinning disk and then decompressing it is quicker than reading more data off the same disk.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPad event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

:siren:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 22, 2013

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
Buying an rMBP with a 1TB SSD like it's going out of style.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

So, out of the 13 inch rMBPs, only the top of the line one can be made BTO with more storage? :confused:

Was this the case before the new rMBPs, too?

My PIN is 4826 fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Oct 22, 2013

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Kind of sad there's no new display, but I'm not going to buy a new one until I buy a New Mac Pro (next year).

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Dayum no discrete graphics till megabux.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Watching Apple slowly rebuild their MacBook product lines by phasing out the old MBPs and phasing in Retina all throughout is pretty cool to see in action. It was pretty obvious that the new SKUs at the time (retina MBPs) were a taste of the future and not a potential nightmare of too many SKUs for similar products.

yoyomama
Dec 28, 2008
Not sure what I'll do now that updates were only announced for the MBA and rMBP. I was hoping against hope that they'd update the "regular" MBP line (I originally thought that the new specs they were announcing were for the MBP :( ) but they look like they'll get rid of it soon or at least make no new changes.

While I love the rMBP and MBA in theory, I hate that they're not user upgradable. Also, if I need the hd replaced, I'd much rather replace an ssd or old spinning disk myself in a few hours than have to go to a fruit stand to have it done and take way too long, or hunt down apple's proprietary ssd online. Plus I want to upgrade ram when I want.

I may think of getting one as a secondary machine, but I'll also hold onto my old MBP for dear life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Considering hopping a bus to campus so I can order tonight. I have been waiting for this for weeks.