Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

20 minute time limit. 2 guys start, another guy enters every five minutes for a total of 5 guys. Whoever scored the last pin at the end of 20 minutes was the new champ. So if you were in early you had more chances to get a pin but you also had to deal with a fresh guy coming in to kick rear end.

The ECW and World championship Scrambles had new champions crowned. Don't worry though HHH retained in his Scramble Match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Hockles posted:

There was a match called the championship scramble. The premise was 6 people were in the match, the entrances may have been staggered, I don't remember. There was a time limit to the match, and whoever pinned whoever became interim/current WWE champ. Thus the image.

It was a ok idea in concept, but in practice it doesn't really work. Whoever is the current champ would just have to go around breaking up pinfalls to remain champ. Kind of like schoolyard king of the mountain.

The booking for Unforgiven 2008 was a complete shambles too. Earlier that night HBK demolished Y2J in an unsanctioned street fight and CM Punk whom happened to be WHC at the time gets punted by Orton meaning he couldn't compete. So who do they get as CM Punk's replacement? They send out a broken down Y2J of course that wins the WHC because they wanted Y2J/HBK to be the main focus of the show.

It did give use the crazy ladder match between them so it worked out in the end I guess, but like Hockles said it was a decent concept on paper but horrible execution riddled by lovely booking.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Also, if I remember correctly, it was a legitimate creation of then-GM Mike Adamle.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Hockles posted:

Also, if I remember correctly, it was a legitimate creation of then-GM Mike Adamle.

It was AN ADAMLE ORIGINAL.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Fauxhawk Express posted:

I meant more, Mike Adamle actually created/booked the match and explained it to the bookers. Rather than bookers came up with the concept and Adamle walked out there and spoke the words the writers wrote for him that he made the match.

The Cosby Mysteries
Oct 5, 2007

Happy Birthday, Mr. President

Fauxhawk Express posted:

Jeff Harvey was too.

Every time Adamle was on TV you knew it was going to be cringeworthy and not the good kind. The kind where you wish deep down they can pull it off but just fucks it up in spectacular fashion. Everyone that didn't watch wrestling in 2008 watch this tribute and thank the wrasslin gods for Vickie Guerrero and Brad Maddox.

The Cosby Mysteries fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 21, 2013

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

The Cosby Mysteries posted:

Everyone that didn't watch wrestling in 2008 watch this tribute and thank the wrasslin gods for Vickie Guerrero and Brad Maddox.

Holy christ. How did you people survive?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

re: Brawl For All discussion

Its my understanding that JR was largely the one wanting to get Dr Death over and mad when his golden boy looked stupid in a shoot fight with Bart Gunn. Vince Russo couldn't give two shits about the man and only used him in WCW to mock Ross.

Is that not the case?

oatgan fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 21, 2013

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Solomonic posted:

To be fair, the HBK/Jericho feud at the time was really, really good.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Solomonic posted:

We all didn't. Me for example.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

getitoffgetitoff posted:

But could he beat Brock Lesnar???

...Someone on the forums made the dumbass statement that Meng could kick Brock Lesnar's rear end, didn't they?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Mea culpa.

In my defense (it's a poor defense) I was drunkposting.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The booking for Unforgiven 2008 was a complete shambles too. Earlier that night HBK demolished Y2J in an unsanctioned street fight and CM Punk whom happened to be WHC at the time gets punted by Orton meaning he couldn't compete. So who do they get as CM Punk's replacement? They send out a broken down Y2J of course that wins the WHC because they wanted Y2J/HBK to be the main focus of the show.
Haha, they sure do love that "guy who wasn't booked in the match leaves with the title" trope. Edge in that elimination chamber, Big Show at the '99 Survivor Series, Hogan at Wrestlemania 9, etc. Anything can happen in the WWF!!

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The Edge one annoyed me the most because even with the other ones, a GM is making a match or the champion is agreeing to it. Edge straight up just attacked Kofi Kingston and ran into his pod and suffered no repercussions. Like the Seahawks could have just beaten up the 49ers right before the Super Bowl started, run onto the field and been allowed to legally compete. Every title match should just be like the Hardcore title with dozens of wrestlers trying to assault the challenger and take his spot.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Jeff Harvey was too.

Every time Adamle was on TV you knew it was going to be cringeworthy and not the good kind. The kind where you wish deep down they can pull it off but just fucks it up in spectacular fashion. Everyone that didn't watch wrestling in 2008 watch this tribute and thank the wrasslin gods for Vickie Guerrero and Brad Maddox.

I remember that little T Rex arm slap he gave to Randy even after all these years. This was around the time I was getting back into wrestling after a 4 or 5 year break even haha. Thank god for Michaels-Jericho.

Nick_326
Nov 3, 2011

History's Latest Monster

Glamorama26 posted:

...Someone on the forums made the dumbass statement that Meng could kick Brock Lesnar's rear end, didn't they?

Questions:

Meng is known for being a psychopath outside the ring, but was he stiff/crazy in his matches?

Was Brock ever an intimiding guy backstage like Meng? Did he ever injure/stiff people aside from the time Bob Holly tried to sandbag him?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Tato posted:

Like the Seahawks could have just beaten up the 49ers right before the Super Bowl started, run onto the field and been allowed to legally compete.

I'm okay with this becoming a thing.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The scramble match was great I don't know what you fools are talking about.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I swear they made it out to be more complicated than it was, the constant run down of the rules and screens full of regulations made a simple concept confusing. Whoever has the last pin wins, is basically all they had to say.

I think the ECW one was legitimately good, with Matt Hardy dashing back and forth breaking up pins left and right.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nick_326 posted:

Was Brock ever an intimiding guy backstage like Meng? Did he ever injure/stiff people aside from the time Bob Holly tried to sandbag him?
During the Plane Ride From Hell, Brock and Curt Hennig argued about who'd been the best college athlete, and Hennig kept challenging Brock to try to take him down. Brock eventually knocked Hennig into the airplane door, which terrified everybody. It wasn't a knock-down drag-out fight by any means, and I don't think Brock really wanted any part of it.

Kurt Angle claims that Lesnar said he was too big for Angle to handle, so they had a wrestling match and Angle won. But Kurt Angle claims a lot of things.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Tato posted:

The Edge one annoyed me the most because even with the other ones, a GM is making a match or the champion is agreeing to it. Edge straight up just attacked Kofi Kingston and ran into his pod and suffered no repercussions. Like the Seahawks could have just beaten up the 49ers right before the Super Bowl started, run onto the field and been allowed to legally compete. Every title match should just be like the Hardcore title with dozens of wrestlers trying to assault the challenger and take his spot.

I loving loved the Edge one with the full story of the PPV being that Edge not only lost his title in the earlier Chamber, he was loving eliminated first. It also pushed Edge's "Ultimate Opportunist" gimmick by having him steal a world title in a new way. While wrestling is based on sports, following that thread all the way to the end will not only drive you crazy you'll also end up missing out on a lot of good storylines.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Tato posted:

I swear they made it out to be more complicated than it was, the constant run down of the rules and screens full of regulations made a simple concept confusing. Whoever has the last pin wins, is basically all they had to say.

I think the ECW one was legitimately good, with Matt Hardy dashing back and forth breaking up pins left and right.

The WHC one was a ton of fun with The Brian Kendrick running around trying to stay champ for like ten minutes.

I don't remember anything about the WWE one aside from the dumb finish.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I liked the scramble and am a little sad the association with Adamle probably will doom it to stay gone forever. It's a unique match with fun psychology.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Tato posted:

People on this forum specifically made it sound a lot more complicated than it actually was. "Two guys start, there are timed entrances for 4 more guys, whoever gets the last pin before time expires wins."

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

The Championship Scramble was basically just a retread of that Hardcore Invitational they had at whatever Wrestlemania with the Hollys and it was loving dumb as rocks because it should've been near-impossible for anyone to retain their belt. I think it was positioned between HiaC and ladder match title defenses where the people were like oh wow dangerous match they've gotta go all-out for that belt WACKY FREE-FOR-ALL BEAT-THE-CLOCK JOBBERFEST oh jeez somebody could get hurt that belt sure means a lot.

In fact, I think the ladder match was HHH vs. Hardy and the angle was HHH didn't want to wrestle in Hardy's signature match because it was an unfair disadvantage when he had just defended his belt against four people at once and anyone could've conspired to lie down for someone else and get pinned because the current champ didn't have to be involved in the pinfall.

As a method for crowning a new champ after that bullshit Punk angle, fine. As a match for the 24/7 hardcore title, perfect.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
It didn't help that they constantly referred to them as the "interim WWE champion" - the fact that they used "WWE champion" as a phrase just made it way more confusing than it could be. I remember most of the smarks snipping to each other "heh looks like he's getting 6 title reigns out of this!"

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

People on this forum specifically made it sound a lot more complicated than it actually was. "Two guys start, there are timed entrances for 4 more guys, whoever gets the last pin before time expires wins."

You don't understand how much this bugged me. I understood the concept perfectly so seeing people act like they were doing calculus for the first time was confusing

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

spongeh posted:

It didn't help that they constantly referred to them as the "interim WWE champion" - the fact that they used "WWE champion" as a phrase just made it way more confusing than it could be. I remember most of the smarks snipping to each other "heh looks like he's getting 6 title reigns out of this!"

Wario Kart 64 posted:

You don't understand how much this bugged me. I understood the concept perfectly so seeing people act like they were doing calculus for the first time was confusing

I was the quote above yours that made it confusing. All we were wondering was if the "interim" championship reigns would be recognized as legitimate reigns.

They didn't.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Seriously though, there was a full screen of text every goddamn time they were about to have the match and they explained to rules to us every five minutes. It was so uncomplicated and WWE made it way more ridiculous, possibly as another way of making GBS threads on Adamle.

Tato posted:

It was baffling at the PPV, yeah, but it WAS explained the next week albeit half-assedly. Vickie sanctioned Edge's entry with her magic GM powers when Kofi was unable to compete, thus no ramipercussions.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
Brawl For All Stuff:

The original plan was for Dr. Death to win and then to work a programme with Steve Austin to see who was the toughest man in the WWF. If you look at Dr. Death's first match he was racking up a crazy amount of points compared to everyone else in the competition. Seriously it was like every time he threw a punch he got a point. No way would they have put Steve Williams in a shoot boxing match with Butterbean.

There's contrasting stories about why Dan Severn dropped out. Either it was at the behest of management or Dan decided to drop out himself as if he did lose a fight it would have had a really bad impact on his MMA career in the future.

The wrestlers who signed up for it were paid $5000 a match.

Supposedly Brakkus didn't know it was a shoot.

Bart Gunn went onto to have some success in Japan based on his reputation as The Man Who Knocked Out Dr. Death.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm pretty sure Patterson came up with the scramble. Or is it Brisco? It's the one who organizes the rumble every year. He's the one who came up with it.

Adamale just botched the description pretty badly.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

maxallen posted:

I had heard the reason it was done was they had too big a midcard roster with not enough for them to do.

So it was the pro wrestling version of the Crusades?

BubbaGrace
Jul 14, 2006

WeaponX posted:

Although his tenure was short, Hillbilly Jim got booked as Hogans buddy when Hogan was getting over huge. There was also a time where he was often booked against the top heels of that era. Also being a comedy relief wrestler for his entire career endeared him a lot to many people who kinda over look his short, non-effectual run (see almost every nostalgic comedy wrestling act).

Being a real swell guy won't hurt your reputation either.

Hillbilly Jim was also the owner of Coliseum Home Video which had exclusive rights to all WWF videos.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Is Hogan/Rock at Mania 18 Hogan's best match? I really can't think of anything that matches it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

McNutty posted:

Is Hogan/Rock at Mania 18 Hogan's best match? I really can't think of anything that matches it.

That or WM6 vs Warrior.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

McNutty posted:

I would say Warrior at WM6 to be honest

e: of course

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Hogan had a few decent matches in Japan in the 1990s where he was busting out enziguris and poo poo. It's kind of surreal to see Hogan chain wrestling. Doesn't have the same big match feel as his match with The Rock, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxEDfufiwto

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Zack_Gochuck posted:

Hogan had a few decent matches in Japan in the 1990s where he was busting out enziguris and poo poo. It's kind of surreal to see Hogan chain wrestling. Doesn't have the same big match feel as his match with The Rock, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxEDfufiwto

I wonder why he tried harder over there, maybe he knew the audience would poo poo on him if he just did the moves of doom.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Z-Magic posted:

Brawl For All Stuff:
There's contrasting stories about why Dan Severn dropped out. Either it was at the behest of management or Dan decided to drop out himself as if he did lose a fight it would have had a really bad impact on his MMA career in the future.

The one I heard was that Severn was getting shafted on points for takedowns, realized that the shoot was being worked & pulled out.

Bigass Moth posted:

I wonder why he tried harder over there, maybe he knew the audience would poo poo on him if he just did the moves of doom.

This is exactly it. Hogan doesn't work harder than he has to, which ended up being pretty smart considering he's a physical wreck despite having half-assed workrate for the majority of his run on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Hogan was actually a possibility to take the IWGP title in 1993, but he cut a promo for New Japan calling the WWF Title (which he held at the time) a toy and how the IWGP was the real title. Muta explained to Inoki that, if Hogan was willing to just talk poo poo about a company's top title to suck up to another company, it would be stupid to give him the IWGP belt, and Inoki agreed.

Not particularly relevant, but I just like to see Hogan of all people getting politic-ed OUT of a title, especially by Mutoh.