Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Hey, does anyone (Flying Lemur if you're around) have any good resources for adaptive hockey equipment or practices for someone with an arm/hand type limitation? Everything I can find talks about sled hockey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

shyduck posted:

There's Grundy in Bristol, PA and Iceland near Lawrenceville, NJ, both have adult leagues for different skill levels and whatnot.

hahahahahah oh my god I spent probably ~6 years of my life playing in Iceland

Nice to hear it's still kicking

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Hey, does anyone (Flying Lemur if you're around) have any good resources for adaptive hockey equipment or practices for someone with an arm/hand type limitation? Everything I can find talks about sled hockey.

A guy here lost most of the use of his right arm/hand, he plays with a big brace and kind of a "holder" on the end of the stick that goes through his glove. It is a limitation but not a bad one, he looks about like most relatively new players. I'm not sure if it would work with a full prosthetic but it does well for him.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Stick and puck is usually for individual skill sessions and open hockey is more like pick up. At least that's how I've seen it. If they're both listed I think you can safely assume that is the difference between the two sessions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Stick and puck around me always has in big bold letters NO ORGANIZED GAMES.

They really don't want a hockey game to break out I guess.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

JetsGuy posted:

Any of you clowns live in the Philly/Trenton area?

I have to move there, and will need a league. A league for people lovely at hockey.

Also, I hate that I'm gonna have to leave my HSV team mid-season... it's just sucky all around.

I'm in Philly but play over in Jersey at the Flyers Skate Zone. I play roller but I know they have a decent ice league over there too. There's a bunch of places around that do ice if you're willing to cross a bridge

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

xzzy posted:

Stick and puck around me always has in big bold letters NO ORGANIZED GAMES.

They really don't want a hockey game to break out I guess.

Just fights.

bewbies posted:

A guy here lost most of the use of his right arm/hand, he plays with a big brace and kind of a "holder" on the end of the stick that goes through his glove. It is a limitation but not a bad one, he looks about like most relatively new players. I'm not sure if it would work with a full prosthetic but it does well for him.

Thanks! I wonder where you find that kind of thing. I've seen some jerry-rigged options lately and it looked a bit scary (if the stick is rigidly attached to the arm, it seems like the risk of breaking a collarbone, arm bone, or possibly dislocating an elbow is higher than it needs to be). I don't want to say anything about it unless I can suggest a safer alternative, y'know?

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

sellouts posted:

Why aren't you defenders putting through awesome passes instead of trying to dangle around people
BECAUSE YOU GODDAM FORWARDS CAN NEVER CATCH THEM.

I definitely do the dangle around thing every so often. I know it's probably a bad idea, but it's kind of difficult mentally sometimes when you make nice passes and they just bounce off sticks in the neutral zone and suddenly you're defending yet another rush. And also it happens constantly. Some games, you want your offensive contribution to be more than 1. breakout pass that isn't caught, 2. hold pucks in at blue line. So you force it. Let's end-to-end this bitch.

Is it the best move? Maybe not. But sometimes, you just get tired of spending all your effort winning pucks in the corner and sending them up the boards only to find that nobody in your color is there and now you have to hustle back to the front of the net again to try and physically move other players out of the crease.

Playing defense is a pretty thankless job and sometimes you just want a little bit of the glory.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Really simple solution would be to get someone, anyone to cover you as you exit the zone. If people are in position to realistically receive a good pass this should involve minimal skating back to do this.

Plenty of glory to be had on d and I get wanting to rush it. Just get a center to cover.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Plus a nice A never gets the ladies.

Ladiez love slick dangles.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Vicas posted:

hahahahahah oh my god I spent probably ~6 years of my life playing in Iceland

Nice to hear it's still kicking
Yeah the ownership there is actually competent now. They built a 3rd ice surface there like 15 years ago and it put them sideways for a long time. It's now dried out and being used for gymnastics

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

shyduck posted:

Yeah the ownership there is actually competent now. They built a 3rd ice surface there like 15 years ago and it put them sideways for a long time. It's now dried out and being used for gymnastics

Alas, poor C-rink, I knew him, Horatio

(also funny because the C-rink was literally sideways compared to the other two)

(Man now I'm remembering doing those Greg Carter hockey camps there. That place owned)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The best part was how they botched the construction and had to shorten the ice surface itself by about 10-15 feet.

And I did Greg Carter about 3 times

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Haha, no poo poo? I can't remember when I did it, probably in the early 2000s or so? I don't remember if I know how old you are so I dunno if there was any chance of overlap (doubt it)

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

sellouts posted:

Really simple solution would be to get someone, anyone to cover you as you exit the zone. If people are in position to realistically receive a good pass this should involve minimal skating back to do this.

Plenty of glory to be had on d and I get wanting to rush it. Just get a center to cover.
Well, sure, you could trivialize the solution to many problems like that. Just get the wings to cover the point. Just get the forwards to come back for a breakout pass instead of standing around. Just get the forwards to occasionally make a pass back to the defense instead of constantly throwing blind passes at the crease. Just get the forwards to have a look/listen and realize they have lots of time before desperately throwing the puck up ice in a panic. Just get the forwards to backcheck hard. Just get everyone to stop staring at the puck.

Technically, all very simple solutions. Realistically? There are plenty of skaters at the highest levels of hockey who don't do those things consistently. Eighty percent of my forwards are there because they can't skate backwards. There's no way I'm going to get any of that behavior with any consistency, if at all. That's a total fantasy.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I don't know if I was doing really lovely as a winger or the passes from the D were crap, but all the passes from the D seemed to carom off the boards 5 feet behind me and got way in front of me in our last game.

Should I be closer to the boards as I'm breaking into the neutral zone? I think I was about 4 or so feet from the boards in those instances.

I'm obviously still new at this poo poo and handling passes from behind are tricky as hell. I always figure its best to let it carom in front of me instead of trying to turn around and handle the pass and turn forward again and keep skating.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Do you quit moving your feet when someone makes a pass towards you?

I was doing that and saw a lot of passes sail 5-10 feet in front of me until someone pointed out what was going on. They were putting the puck where I would have been if I'd kept skating, and suddenly slowing down messed it all up.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

No I pretty much saw the pass kind of aimed towards the boards and I thought to myself "oh hey cool i'll just keep looking/skating forward and the puck will pop back into my peripheral view eventually" and by the time it does that the puck has bounced off the boards and is 10 feet in front of me and already in the offensive zone.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
http://howtohockey.com/five-breakout-plays-every-hockey-player-should-know

If you look at those, one thing they all have in common is that the forwards are all still in the defensive zone. Beer leaguers aren't great at making or catching 60' passes so you'd probably be better served by coming back into the zone and being a closer pass option.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

drat coldwind it must really suck to be the only one on the team who makes consistently awesome plays that others can't ever handle so often that it's reached the point of knowingly making risky plays for personal beer league "glory".

But seriously, you have a trivial problem so you get a trivial answer. I wish it could be more complex, clearly your team could handle it.

If you have a team that no one would listen to you about even a minor thing like that, I would probably assume it is something about my delivery or request. On every team I've played on I've been able to find at least one player willing to work with me on something. Especially something small like breakout positioning and covering positions. Not saying they will get it immediately or won't make mistakes but the willingness to try.

It seems strange that if the team has people who can't skate that you wouldn't find someone who would like letting you drive the play and them not having to skate as hard. Guys I know who can't skate love letting players who can drive the play do it, especially later in games when they are winded. Perhaps they're tired of defensive dangles and the search for glory that results in pockets being picked? Maybe sensing your frustration and lack of respect for them as players because you assume they will gently caress up the pass and you try to do it solo? I dunno. I'd figure that poo poo out.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

sellouts posted:

drat coldwind it must really suck to be the only one on the team who makes consistently awesome plays that others can't ever handle so often that it's reached the point of knowingly making risky plays for personal beer league "glory".

But seriously, you have a trivial problem so you get a trivial answer. I wish it could be more complex, clearly your team could handle it.

If you have a team that no one would listen to you about even a minor thing like that, I would probably assume it is something about my delivery or request. On every team I've played on I've been able to find at least one player willing to work with me on something. Especially something small like breakout positioning and covering positions. Not saying they will get it immediately or won't make mistakes but the willingness to try.

It seems strange that if the team has people who can't skate that you wouldn't find someone who would like letting you drive the play and them not having to skate as hard. Guys I know who can't skate love letting players who can drive the play do it, especially later in games when they are winded. Perhaps they're tired of defensive dangles and the search for glory that results in pockets being picked? Maybe sensing your frustration and lack of respect for them as players because you assume they will gently caress up the pass and you try to do it solo? I dunno. I'd figure that poo poo out.

Just speaking from a wing perspective...I'm not a great athlete or a big person, and I definitely have a few particular weaknesses that frustrate me and my D probably equally (I really do suck at getting past that opposing defenseman at the point on a breakout), but I'm a strong positional player. I will be in the correct location and I will at least try to do the right thing. However, when the D (or anyone else on the team, really) suddenly decides that hockey is a single-player sport, my game plan stops being positional hockey and becomes "try not to be killed by your own teammate", since the army-of-one will be charging after the puck regardless of whether I'm already there with space for a great play (possibly even a pass to that teammate if he's open! Craziness!). This isn't a fun game and usually I end up fighting the urge to just pack up and go home. Worse, unless he's really head and shoulders above the league standard in skill or athleticism, having some guy play this way usually helps lose the game because it's a lot easier for the other team to defend against one guy than a whole line.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
This is typically something that you only do with higher skilled/good skating defensemen. If you have a guy without a ton of speed, then he's better off staying back, but a lot of teams will put their best skaters back on D and those tend to be guys who will want to jump into the play when the opportunity presents itself. What you need to do as a forward or center is keep an eye out for that player and drop back to fill whatever void he vacates (providing that you're the nearest players). If a forward or center drops back to fill the void, then you really shouldn't have problems with the play going back the other way. Some guys will do this more frequently than others, but as this becomes more common on the NHL (Jonas Brodin is a good example of this), then I think you'll see more guys want to jump in on the play.

As for bringing the puck up, I do agree with Coldwind that some forwards don't do a good job of positioning themselves to receive the pass, so I can understand why some D may decide to take the puck up themselves rather than make a dangerous pass that could result in sending the puck the other way.

I think these situations apply mainly to strong skating defensemen. An average defensemen is probably better staying back, but guys who are strong skaters have a bigger margin for error and should take more chances if they think they can capitalize on them.

I'm not a defensemen myself, but as a goalie who runs a team, I always try to find strong skating defensemen since they tend to be a big advantage at my level.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I think there's a pretty clear difference between a defenseman leading a carry-based breakout out of the zone and bull-in-a-chinashop rushing around. I agree though, Pinky. Without an understanding that someone is going to cover the D, it's not a very fun game.

I think if the D wants to lead a charge a handful of times in a game it's pretty easy to have someone be prepared to cover him with a little bit of communication out there. If the D is smart they'll reserve it for a matchup they like or a long or late line change leaving a lot of space and the other team out of position. A D leading a charge doesn't have to mean coast to coast carry either, which could help coldwind set up his players into a position where they might be able to more easily receive a shorter pass with less pressure on the north end of the ice rather than a faltering breakout buried in or near the defensive zone.

I also dunno how anyone expects their team to get better without them making a lot of mistakes, especially at the adult level.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Doctor Butts posted:

I don't know if I was doing really lovely as a winger or the passes from the D were crap, but all the passes from the D seemed to carom off the boards 5 feet behind me and got way in front of me in our last game.

Should I be closer to the boards as I'm breaking into the neutral zone? I think I was about 4 or so feet from the boards in those instances.

I'm obviously still new at this poo poo and handling passes from behind are tricky as hell. I always figure its best to let it carom in front of me instead of trying to turn around and handle the pass and turn forward again and keep skating.

Open up to the pass. If you're on the strong-side your rear end should be on the boards, or ready to be there. The break-out pass to you is to get the puck up ice, but your next pass should be to one of the other streaking players. Trying to catch a puck coming at you from behind is a good way to get destroyed.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was just checking out scores from last night and saw this:
http://stats.rv.zev.net/oss-scoresheet.php?game_id=12922

code:
3	52	Injury or Attempted Injury of Official	5	00:00	 	 	 
3	52	Match Penalty	M	00:00
I have never seen that before. Way to get a long suspension in a 14-0 win? After you got 6 points.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 23, 2013

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sellouts posted:

I think there's a pretty clear difference between a defenseman leading a carry-based breakout out of the zone and bull-in-a-chinashop rushing around. I agree though, Pinky. Without an understanding that someone is going to cover the D, it's not a very fun game.

I think if the D wants to lead a charge a handful of times in a game it's pretty easy to have someone be prepared to cover him with a little bit of communication out there. If the D is smart they'll reserve it for a matchup they like or a long or late line change leaving a lot of space and the other team out of position. A D leading a charge doesn't have to mean coast to coast carry either, which could help coldwind set up his players into a position where they might be able to more easily receive a shorter pass with less pressure on the north end of the ice rather than a faltering breakout buried in or near the defensive zone.

I also dunno how anyone expects their team to get better without them making a lot of mistakes, especially at the adult level.

Some mistakes are helpful and there are some mistakes that you could make a thousand times and not really learn anything from. If it's a case where a player has trouble handling breakout passes, then maybe reps will fix that. If it's a case where the player is out of position to either receive the pass or keep the rush going, then I don't think that making a bad play there will help anyone. Ideally what you want is the more experienced players to tell that guy how to be positioned to be useful on a breakout and when they start positioning themselves properly then reward them with a pass, but if that guy is flatfooted and turned the wrong way, then I don't blame the D for choosing to take the puck up himself. That being said, there are some D that will just carry the puck up every time and that's something you need to address as a team. Problems don't get better unless you try to communicate with your teammates, though depending on your person, you need to pick your spots. There's a line between being helpful and being overbearing.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Yeah, I never really said I was making awesome plays all the time. I also didn't really ask for any advice regarding the problems with the obvious solutions.

I play on a team full of beginners. The fact that they don't do what I ask them to doesn't have anything to do with the way I treat them or their willingness to listen or put in effort. It has to do with the fact they are doing their best to stay on two skates and not really thinking about positioning or support. It's like asking a guy who's just learning how to swim to give you good support playing water polo. You can ask all you want as nice as you want, it just isn't going to happen.

I have no idea why you assumed I had a poor relationship or that I disrespected my teammates. I like my teammates, but they're inexperienced and I don't pretend like they don't make a ton of mistakes that I spend a lot of effort trying to cover for.

sellouts posted:

Without an understanding that someone is going to cover the D, it's not a very fun game.
1. That's not what he said.
2. It is kind of hilarious that your enjoyment playing a hockey game depends critically on forwards covering defensemen.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Edit: actually I shouldn't try to get a rise out of you anymore coldwind

As for my play, I'm actually the dude covering for the D every time and I love it. I love changing it up and the change of pace it brings a breakout. I love the rotations down low when we get it in the zone. I like quarterbacking the play when the defensemen gives me the puck back. It also keeps the other team honest. I love a lot about hockey, including enabling sick danglez from players like yourself without burdening you with the blame when you get your pocket picked :)

sellouts fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Oct 23, 2013

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Vicas posted:

Alas, poor C-rink, I knew him, Horatio

(also funny because the C-rink was literally sideways compared to the other two)

(Man now I'm remembering doing those Greg Carter hockey camps there. That place owned)

I wander into the thread on a whim and find Ice Land chat, what are the chances? Spent way too many days there from 1999-2003.

This just went out on facebook and made me so happy. Outdoor hockey time is the best time of the year, glad the weather cooled so looks like we'll be starting the season on time:

Hard to tell from that angle, but yes its a pair of rinks, at the top edge of Central Park, NYC, and my favorite place to play by far. This year I'll be the proud captain of the Half Ork Rangers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

:gizz:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We actually had snow fall in the Chicago area yesterday. None of it stuck, but it was still snow.

Makes me hopeful that the ponds will actually freeze this year.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

xzzy posted:

We actually had snow fall in the Chicago area yesterday. None of it stuck, but it was still snow.

Makes me hopeful that the ponds will actually freeze this year.

You're out in the burbs if I recall correct?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Naperville area, so yes.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

xzzy posted:

Naperville area, so yes.

Chicagoons Unite!

Has anyone around Chicago heard about anything going with the outdoor league? The one league plays not far from my office, but they haven't updated anything since last years all star game.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
The only outdoor leagues I've been aware of (in Chicago proper) are either down at the University of Chicago Midway Plaissance rink or up at Warren park. Both at opposite ends of the city and pretty unorganized. The last time I played a league at warren park, it was pretty much just semi organized pickup and there were major gaps between the ice and boards. Also the nets were in terrible shape. The ice wasnt too bad though.

At University of Chicago, the ice is so lovely from free skate and kids digging holes in it but they usually have pickup a few times a week.

I'm hoping to get a car this winter so I might be driving out to rinks to play, and I know Elmhurst YMCA has an outdoor rink as well as a few other burbs.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

Verman posted:

The only outdoor leagues I've been aware of (in Chicago proper) are either down at the University of Chicago Midway Plaissance rink or up at Warren park. Both at opposite ends of the city and pretty unorganized. The last time I played a league at warren park, it was pretty much just semi organized pickup and there were major gaps between the ice and boards. Also the nets were in terrible shape. The ice wasnt too bad though.

At University of Chicago, the ice is so lovely from free skate and kids digging holes in it but they usually have pickup a few times a week.

I'm hoping to get a car this winter so I might be driving out to rinks to play, and I know Elmhurst YMCA has an outdoor rink as well as a few other burbs.

Chicago Outdoor Hockey League: http://www.cohlhockey.com/

Is the one I was referencing.

Apparently I need to follow them on facebook, the have more updates there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I just hope it gets cold enough to freeze the retention ponds solid, there's a million of them out here.

I might actually be a competent skater today if we'd had that much ice available when I was growing up.

At any rate, if you see a story on the 5pm news about some dumbbass that broke through the ice and drowned to death, that's gonna be me.

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

xzzy posted:

I just hope it gets cold enough to freeze the retention ponds solid, there's a million of them out here.

I might actually be a competent skater today if we'd had that much ice available when I was growing up.

At any rate, if you see a story on the 5pm news about some dumbbass that broke through the ice and drowned to death, that's gonna be me.

Secret Pro Life tip: Call around, At least up by where I live, they will flood local baseball fields for pond hockey. Its safer! and 99% of the time free!

I might be signing up for the Pond Hockey in Winnetka, since its on my way home from work.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

shdwdmg posted:

Chicago Outdoor Hockey League: http://www.cohlhockey.com/

Is the one I was referencing.

Apparently I need to follow them on facebook, the have more updates there.

Ahh cool. Yeah I remember looking into that and thinking "Oh well, maybe someday when I buy a car and can actually drive to these rinks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shdwdmg
May 16, 2008

Verman posted:

Ahh cool. Yeah I remember looking into that and thinking "Oh well, maybe someday when I buy a car and can actually drive to these rinks"

Depending on your location/Skill level/Team I might be willing to offer up transportational services.

I am horribly going to be stuck in D league for life!