Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Today I processed paperwork for someone with the name La-a. I got really excited when I saw it.
But it turns out that her name is Laņa (pronounced Lana; her parents were creative spellers), and our system replaces characters it can't read with a dash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Encountered someone with the last name Beanblossom the other day. It's my new favorite fart euphemism.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Wintermutant posted:

While reading about Ned Kelly, I found that one of his first victims was named Ah Fook, which is pretty much the best name ever.

Ha that is awesome. Even better if you read it in a scottish accent.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Istari posted:

her name is Laņa (pronounced Lana; her parents were creative spellers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyQvjKqXA0Y&t=20s

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Say Nothing, you're the best. Every one of the ones you've posted is great.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks.
For some reason, I seem to have collected a whole bunch of them.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
The student body president my senior year of high school was named Ja'Me'S, pronounced "Jamie S" I had seen her name all over campaign signs when she was running and was completely clueless as to how it was pronounced. The only way I found out was when she won and her name was announced over the intercom.

Also, when I was in college I had a job delivering flowers, and I would deliver to the maternity ward of the local hospital quite a bit. As you can imagine, it was a nonstop parade of lovely special snowflake baby names, but one that sticks out the most was "Airycka" (pronounced Erica, of course.)

Jim the Nickel has a new favorite as of 04:22 on Oct 21, 2013

Galliope
Oct 12, 2012
Hope Diamond (PRONOUNCED DYE-A-MAND as she would angrily inform you), and Harold Balls (Harry Balls). Balls is a horrible last name. And, Crystal Pitcher, and Starbuck Goes (she was a huge bitch but I was actually pretty envious of the name).

Galliope has a new favorite as of 04:30 on Oct 21, 2013

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I met two girls named Apple and one named Koala last week. At least they have the "my parents are immigrants and don't use my English name anyway" excuse, Airycka is abominable.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jim the Nickel posted:

Also, when I was in college I had a job delivering flowers, and I would deliver to the maternity ward of the local hospital quite a bit. As you can imagine, it was a nonstop parade of lovely special snowflake baby names, but one that sticks out the most was "Airycka" (pronounced Erica, of course.)
It gets worse!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That's a wrecka alright.

nyquil hangover
Jun 27, 2013

sick but sociable
I met a Romulus last week. I told him I liked his name and he said "yeah I get that a lot".

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Yeah, being named after the mythical founder of Rome is a lot loving cooler than being named literally anything on this list of distinctly Mormon and incredibly bizarre names.

Seriously, Mormons name their kids the strangest goddamned things. Aquanetta? Really?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Well I hope he was named after the co-founder of Rome, and not a planet from Star Trek (named after those same people)

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Yeah, being named after the mythical founder of Rome is a lot loving cooler than being named literally anything on this list of distinctly Mormon and incredibly bizarre names.

Seriously, Mormons name their kids the strangest goddamned things. Aquanetta? Really?

"Cashley"

Poor "Kneel"

"WaDeen, WaDrew," This sounds like a Pokemon and its evolved form.

"Enzt (pronounce each letter)." I don't get it. Is it supposed to sound like "eatin' ziti?" Ee-YEN-zee-tee? If there's a joke, it's over my head.

geekybones
Apr 30, 2009
In high school I knew a pair of sisters named Tinkerbell and Chinagirl. To be fair their parents were foreign and they chose what they thought were American names for their daughters.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Like the poor fellow so enamoured with the sea that he had to be talked into Seymour because Sea Man did unexpected things in English?

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

This one stood out to me too. Cashley sounds baller as gently caress.

For my contribution theres a guy in a couple of my classes named Charlemagne. He doesn't go by Charles for short and gets upset if you mispronounce it.

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.
Noticed at my local SaveMart yesterday: Timaree and Ellorie (both female) and Amadeus.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Rare Collectable posted:

For my contribution theres a guy in a couple of my classes named Charlemagne. He doesn't go by Charles for short and gets upset if you mispronounce it.
Who the hell has completed fourth grade and manages to mispronounce Charlemagne? I could maybe understand misspelling it, but that's just depressing.

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
I've served quite a few people with unusual surnames (I don't usually record the first names):

Mr Honeyman
Mr Thorndick
Mr Bigstaff
Mr Apinis
(happiness :))

I had a piano teacher called Mrs Amanda Beat once (misses a beat) and my sister has a friend called Xack (pronounced like 'Zach').

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Who the hell has completed fourth grade and manages to mispronounce Charlemagne? I could maybe understand misspelling it, but that's just depressing.

Where do you go to school that they cover Charlemagne by fourth grade? I went to school in Illinois and he didn't come up, then I moved to Texas and most of the people I teach didn't hear about him until probably high school if that?

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
Just encountered a little girl named Aniston. Parents loved "Friends" at little too much, I guess?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't know about you but when I read this post, I immediately thought of Zapp Brannigan saying something like 'Char-la-maggin'.

It's a name that goes well with cham-paggin.

Debunk This!
Apr 12, 2011

Sham bam bamina! posted:

It was actually a teacher, she's ESL And pronounced it with a hard ch while butchering the rest into something like charle-mac. Probably didn't know it was French.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

nyquil hangover posted:

I met a Romulus last week. I told him I liked his name and he said "yeah I get that a lot".

Old Roman names are baller as gently caress.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like a fun guy.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I teach some class in an elementary class room, and saw one of the labels as Getsumani, which just turns into "Get some money" in my head.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I would love to see some more class rosters of kids in English classes in Asian countries. You know, when kids choose their English name of Altria, Sweater, Nursy, Five, Click...

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
This is banal by this thread's standards but it made me laugh.

I know through my job that in a single nursing home in Florida are two Richard Johnsons.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Mescal posted:

I would love to see some more class rosters of kids in English classes in Asian countries. You know, when kids choose their English name of Altria, Sweater, Nursy, Five, Click...

One of my students (too old for English names now) went by Car last year.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Haha.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

bringmyfishback posted:

One of my students (too old for English names now) went by Car last year.

I had a dude called 'Magic' which I thought was incredible until I realised it was probably because of the basketball player.

Otherwise my favourite was 'Eagle' and a girl calling herself 'Pango' for some reason.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

He turns out to be a 5 foot weedy guy with an overbite and a lisp.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Lotish posted:

Where do you go to school that they cover Charlemagne by fourth grade? I went to school in Illinois and he didn't come up, then I moved to Texas and most of the people I teach didn't hear about him until probably high school if that?
Oh. I was actually homeschooled (no, not like that - my mother was a high school English teacher before she married and thought that public schools were a bad learning environment); I probably shouldn't have assumed that my case would be representative.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

I met two girls named Apple and one named Koala last week. At least they have the "my parents are immigrants and don't use my English name anyway" excuse, Airycka is abominable.

I teach Business English majors at a Chinese University. Due to the difficulty among Westerners of pronouncing Mandarin correctly, the students are required to adopt English names. Some of the better names that I have encountered:

Flower (male)
Bangbang
D-7
Flying
Easy (female)
Nasin (supposed to be Nathan, but he transcribed his th-error)
Alone
Thank heaven, thank earth
Pig (female)
Mushroom
Breeze
The gamut of stripper names: (Mercedes, Lexus, Diamond, Cherry)
Gooder
Chink

I can't wait for the day when I meet a rail thin Chinese girl who calls herself "Badonkadonk."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I would feel awful if I called someone chink all day.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Spiderjelly posted:

Due to the difficulty among Westerners of pronouncing Mandarin correctly, the students are required to adopt English names.

I can't be the only one who thinks this is nuts. You can learn pinyin in an afternoon; is the problem the Western teachers or the ones these students will eventually meet in a professional capacity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Still reading old muster rolls; today I met Hans Heinrich Haubt from Halberstadt.