Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Shaggar posted:

and then rdm got bored w/ her character and thew her away. altho atleast he boxed her up on the show instead of just dropping her altogether like most other characters.

big lols every time someone is all "omg rdm sooo goood"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

lol didnt the protagonist of that series rape someone at some point?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Can-O-Raid posted:

pretty much in the first couple chapters.

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
so now castle has a time travel episode too

lol

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

FMguru posted:

WRONG

[img-bill-and-teds]

movie really does invoke a lot of logical quirks about time travel in a way that most other movies don't bother with

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Can-O-Raid posted:

the plot is miserable self-hating loathsome leprous jerk falls into magical fairly land, penis starts working again, immediately rapes 11 year old girl, etc.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

cool article about kubrick and clarke's creative process while agonizing over how to represent the aliens in 2001

http://2001italia.blogspot.ca/2013/10/2001-aliens-that-almost-were.html

some designs there were considering:

quote:

In one treatment, the alien was to come along and take Bowman by the hand. It was going to be a towering insect-like creature - rather light and vaporous. One logical way to do this would have been to shoot the creature with a variable anamorphic lens to elongate the image onto film. With such a lens, you can squeeze the image from side to side and from top to bottom, and you can increase or decrease the ratio of the squeeze. Then, by projecting that squeezed image onto a mirror positioned in front of Bowman at an angle 45 degrees to the camera, we could have made the alien appeared to be standing right next to him, and it would all have been on the original negative. Quite traditional, really - the technique goes back to the stage arts.

Amethyst fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Oct 22, 2013

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Can-O-Raid posted:

yes, in the very first book. tbf the protagonist is portrayed as a horrible human being from the start and it seems like a challenge the writer took upon himself to make the audience put up with and sympathise with him.

on the other hand his victim forgives him really quickly and it was cheap and nasty to invoke rape in a lovely tolkein ripoff for some lame literary excercise and don't read this lovely series

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

she doesn't forgive him, she just keeps quiet about it because he's the messiah, her being totally hosed up by it is a plot point later

but, yes, it is terrible, don't read it

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
rape is always creepy in fantasy because even if its just for ~*dramatic effect*~ its always mixed in with weird sex and author self-inserts.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

author self-inserts.

"if i could self-insert, i wouldn't have to do all this raping!"

-piers anthony

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Base Emitter posted:

pretty much in the first couple chapters.

the chronicles of aatrek

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

rape is always creepy in fantasy because even if its just for ~*dramatic effect*~ its always mixed in with weird sex and author self-inserts.

daenerys targaryen's relationship with the horse riding barbarian in game of thrones is a great example of this. GRRM is pretty creepy in general

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Trig Discipline posted:

"if i could self-insert, i wouldn't have to do all this raping!"

-piers anthony
av club just started a column where their writers go back and read/watch things they remember loving in childhood to see how they hold up as an adult

the first one picked anthony's "a spell for chameleon" and welp

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
ive been toying with the idea of writing something set in like a world war 1 analog and the main characters are george smiley-type spies and dont get laid. i feel like it would make spergs mad, but lol @ me writing amything

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
"in the barn" is peak piers amthony deviance and mysogyny

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

FMguru posted:

av club just started a column where their writers go back and read/watch things they remember loving in childhood to see how they hold up as an adult

good article. I'm really glad i didn't read any piers anthony as a child

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

sadly i got the impression from the last of the robot series that asimov was just projecting when the married protagonist gets sexed up by the nymphy lady-in-distress. he was all injured and weak at the time so he should totally get a pass

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

speaking of rape, im surprised this thread isnt discussing our star trek child rapist

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

Werthog 95 posted:

speaking of rape, im surprised this thread isnt discussing our star trek child rapist

what

EDIT: whoa holy poo poo!

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
former mod aatrek. isnt there a correlation between trekkies and pedos?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Amethyst posted:

what

EDIT: whoa holy poo poo!

:-)

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

yeah, i read that a few days ago. i read a few xanth books when i was a teenager and the misogyny didn't jump out at me because i was a dumb teenager. mostly i remember thinking "wow, these books are loving terrible, like literally embarrassingly bad"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
a woman working on some sort of star trek enterprise netflix campaign gets a letter:

https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekEnterpriseSeason5NetflixCampaign/posts/672860349400304

quote:

An open letter to everyone from Jenny:

Hey guys, many of you have noticed I'm not open to suggestion and the rather daily onslaught of "you need to change this" that I have been getting. You may have also noticed that I finally have snapped a bit with regards to the fact that between answering the same two questions over and over (Deflector Dishes and updates) I'm starting to get a little miffed. SO I thought i would share an example of what you don't see that goes on and I am hhit with at least 40 or so times a day, maybe you'll understand a bit more after reading this. This is one of the cleaner ones I have gotten recently, but still indicative of the sort of stuff i'm forced to endure, just to bring some artwork to the page.

Dear Girl who makes the pictures,

Hey there, you know there are those of us MEN that think that it was a mistake that Doug asked a WOMAN to make the renders for this page. I mean look at your ship's. You have taken rugged Starfleet designs and girlified them with what I would consider frilly and chikie crap that has no place in the Trek universe, what's next pink starships?

Also you suck at modeling and you suck at rendering. I may only be a hobbyist but I can tell that you haven't the first clue what you are doing. First off you need to change all of your designs, take the Daedalus for instance. There is a design for the ship, you ruined it completely and turned it into some girly design that has no resemblance to the original. Your Romulan ships look more like they belong carrying batons and firing confetti than warships, and quite frankly the NX Refit looked better before you changed the surfacing, now it looks like it was some girl's bathroom tile.

Point of the matter is, you need to step aside, or I will make you step aside, yes you heard me correctly I will MAKE YOU. Girls can't fight MEN, we are stronger, and the dominant species on the planet, and there's no place for a little wannabe Trekkieslut who just probably wants to see how many guys will ask her out, in the quest for more Trek on TV.

So why don't you go back to wearing Slave Leia outfits and whoring yourself out to horny nerd guys who don't' know the difference between a phaser and a disruptor, and leave the Star Trek stuff to the MEN that know what they are doing. And remember this woman, there are a lot more of us MEN that know the timeline and the canon than you do and we will at some point get sick of you trying to ram stuff down our throats that makes no sense but in the mind of some giggling schoolgirl that probably started to do this sort of crap, and yes your stuff is crap, to prove some strange feminist agenda that has no place here.

gently caress off bitch, and leave the Trek to the MEN, go back to cooking and making me a sammich, that's where whores like you belong.

Thank you for your time, and I hope that you take my warning to heart, we will hunt you down, we will make sure you are driven off our page, and we will make sure you are driven back to the kitchen. Remember a woman's job is to cook, clean and have children, not design and build starships.

A concerned Star Trek Fan that thinks whores have no place dictating Trekdom.

Now, please tell me, why I shouldn't be put off when I get messages thrown at me like this? Why shouldn't my feelings be hurt every time someone decides they think that they want me to change the position of something or come at me about some stupid thing like "In so and so book it says" well honestly, I can't take this much more and I would appreciate it if people could remember, you want me to treat every one of you with some modicom of decorum, the same goes for how I get treated, I am human too, with emotions and feelings and right now they are very very hurt by the increasing number of people on this page that think that I somehow am a robot that can just be ordered around..

Please think about this a little bit, I am very very hurt right now by the nasty comments, on something I was doign for fun to try and make things a little more enjoyable...

Thanks for listening - Jenny

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
fans are the best people, the absolute best

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

that's it. I'm never watching star trek again

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

a woman working on some sort of star trek enterprise netflix campaign gets a letter:

https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekEnterpriseSeason5NetflixCampaign/posts/672860349400304

an unironic 'go back to the kitchen'

good job trekies

good job

former mod aatrek. isnt there a correlation between trekkies and pedos?

apparently although trekkies aren't neccesarily more likely to be pedos, like 90% of pedos are also way into star trek

all the star trek stuff i have is the blu-rays, teh ds9 dvds and a few trek manuals, but since i heard about what aatrek did i've had the impulse to pile it up outside and burn it, because ugggghhhhhhh

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

friendzone trekkies erryday

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Werthog 95 posted:

where is all this coming from?

nm, found it. good grief

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 22, 2013

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
i prefer the term trekaroni

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

infernal machines posted:

where is all this coming from?

this is aatrek, renowned mod of tv iv until this morning

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

twitter is aflame with "now that aatrek is gone maybe we can have a my little pony thread in tviv again! he was the one who banned MLP"

priorities.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
well gently caress now who am I gonna pm to get threads stickied

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

drat im surprised yall are so behind

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

A thought: can the MLP people not immediately message moderators to see if they can resurrect the pony thread now that the child rapist moderator is gone? I'm glad to see the bronies have their priorities in order.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Amethyst posted:

good article. I'm really glad i didn't read any piers anthony as a child

I tried to read a piers anthony book and it was like gently caress this and I tossed it across the room

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I tried to read a piers anthony book and it was like gently caress this and I tossed it across the room

same but rr fartin

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

ok i cant remember those, please help

the one with sisko starting a riot in lovely era san francisco doesnt count because the ship still in the future was isolated due to :techno:

the one where worf keeps jumping from timeline to timeline, for one

im sure there are others

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
im a few episodes into ds9 and it seems alroght so far but are there any helpful hints about what to avoid like beardless riker in tng? i heard season 3 is where it really picks up. i already like the cast thpigh and seeing the dude from re-animator as a ferengi sounds fun

Dr. Mint
Jul 4, 2013

i use vlc on my mac to play my animes and it works fine sorry if you're experience is otherwise.
just finished season 6 of ds9 why did they kill dax like was there some special reason?? i tried watching the special features but they never said about why they did it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

im a few episodes into ds9 and it seems alroght so far but are there any helpful hints about what to avoid like beardless riker in tng? i heard season 3 is where it really picks up. i already like the cast thpigh and seeing the dude from re-animator as a ferengi sounds fun

you'll like the show more if you don't skip to ssn three. just skip the ones you know you'll hate.

I had Similar feelings but I didn't even like the characters much. and now it's my favorite. so don't give up

• Locked thread