Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the Skullcrack clarification. I'll remember that.

Also, I've been comparing my mono-B aggro deck to the other top decks online and I am really confused as to why people are mainboarding Tidebinder Mage instead of Vaporkin and putting the Tidebinders in the sideboard. I guess if it's a metagame thing and they're expecting tons of red and green then it makes sense, but otherwise it's a Grizzly Bear. Vaporkin not only has evasion, its drawback doesn't matter because you're ostensibly going in with it every turn. More importantly, it's creature type is Elemental so Master of Waves makes it bigger. I've already won several games with my mono-B deck by simply casting Master of Waves to make my 2 or 3 Vaporkin big enough to swing for lethal.

I mean, I don't want to argue with PTQ winners or anything because they know what they're doing, but Vaporkin just seems like a huge oversight on their part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elephant Ambush posted:

I don't think Skullcrack gets around protection from red. I thought all damage was reduced to 0, not prevented, and that's an important difference.

Zoness posted:

Skullcrack will remove the damage clause of protection but not the targetability or blocking parts. Once they declare Master of Waves as a blocker, you can skullcrack and it's a total wipeout.
Yep. This actually happened yesterday, guy called judge and was super sad when he found out he had thrown away his chance at winning. :smug:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elephant Ambush posted:

Thanks for the Skullcrack clarification. I'll remember that.

Also, I've been comparing my mono-B aggro deck to the other top decks online and I am really confused as to why people are mainboarding Tidebinder Mage instead of Vaporkin and putting the Tidebinders in the sideboard. I guess if it's a metagame thing and they're expecting tons of red and green then it makes sense, but otherwise it's a Grizzly Bear. Vaporkin not only has evasion, its drawback doesn't matter because you're ostensibly going in with it every turn. More importantly, it's creature type is Elemental so Master of Waves makes it bigger. I've already won several games with my mono-B deck by simply casting Master of Waves to make my 2 or 3 Vaporkin big enough to swing for lethal.

I mean, I don't want to argue with PTQ winners or anything because they know what they're doing, but Vaporkin just seems like a huge oversight on their part.

They mainboard Tidebinder because it's two U (blue) devotion as opposed to something like Vaporkin which is just 1. The fact that it is incidentally more useful against any red or green matchup (RG Monsters is huge right now) is a perk.

It also just happens that being able to block grounders is extremely important in opposing aggro matchups, as well.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mikujin posted:

They mainboard Tidebinder because it's two U (blue) devotion as opposed to something like Vaporkin which is just 1. The fact that it is incidentally more useful against any red or green matchup (RG Monsters is huge right now) is a perk.

It also just happens that being able to block grounders is extremely important in opposing aggro matchups, as well.

That makes sense but my experience with aggro mirrors is that it's a race and nobody bothers blocking until they're low on life. I get the devotion bonus but I just get tons of work out of my Vaporkins and it seems worth the tradeoff to me. If you can race faster than they can that extra Elemental token shouldn't matter that much.

Then again, I don't play in PTQs or against PTQ-level players :)

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

Zoness posted:

I have a Modern Storm deck on MTGO if you want to test that matchup (as a proxy for combo in general). I know I'm pretty much completely kold to Ruric Thar but I'm kind of curious how quickly you can get your engine online. I have raid until 12PM EST Mon-Thurs but am down for some matches after that.

(Also should probably go in the Eternal thread).

I don't have it build on MTGO, unfortunately, just in real paper rectangles. I'll let you know if I do, though! Historically it's been okay against storm, assuming I can slow them down enough with counters, but on the draw it's not great odds.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Elephant Ambush posted:

That makes sense but my experience with aggro mirrors is that it's a race and nobody bothers blocking until they're low on life. I get the devotion bonus but I just get tons of work out of my Vaporkins and it seems worth the tradeoff to me. If you can race faster than they can that extra Elemental token shouldn't matter that much.

Then again, I don't play in PTQs or against PTQ-level players :)
The only time Vaporkin could be relevant vs. aggro is in the mirror-match, since against RG/RDW/MonoG Tidebinder actually disables an attacker which completely slows the race.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Mikujin posted:

The only time Vaporkin could be relevant vs. aggro is in the mirror-match, since against RG/RDW/MonoG Tidebinder actually disables an attacker which completely slows the race.

I totally agree, which is why I have 3 Tidebinders in my sideboard. If my local meta had more red and green I'd make it 4.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. That is a whooooole lotta land. 23 should be enough, so just take out the two Guildgates. Or if you're really concerned, turn them into Mountains. Why do you run dual lands, anyway? You have no white cards outside of Wear//Tear and Chained which you could find easy replacements for (i.e. more Mizzium Mortars). The deck will live not being able to exile creatures and destroy enchantments if you can grant it better consistency.

Oh, and if you're looking for a RR creature that is more aggressive than Frostburn Weird, might I suggest Rakdos Shredfreak? 2/1 is kind of small, but he has haste at least! (Or you could just run BTE since she gives you ridiculous Nykthos ramping.)

Every deck that top 16 GP Louisville ran 25 land or more except for GR which has other ramp, and white weenie. The curve on this deck is very similar to mono B and mono U. It is 2 color for answers to things that red does not deal with well. I think the ideal mana base is

4 temple
4 sacred foundry
4 shrine
13 mountain

I may test with 3 shrine but playing a tap land t1 is fine. We have no t1 play and don't need it. Against agro we have profitable blocks. Other devotion and midrange decks are where this deck encounters problems. monoB we need a purphoros. He's going up to 3. I expected a heavier RDW meta than I played, which is why frostburn weird was maindeck. I faced 2 mono-B devotion, 1 BW extort lifegain alms beast midrange madness, his massive creature and massive lifegain hosed me pretty bad. RDW got me low when i did face it but I can stabilize and go wild late game. I bet RDW with 4 life and 7 life respectively.

I think against a more diverse meta, BTE is better mainboard than Frostburn Weird. Being able to do devotion nonsense with t3 BTE to Phoenix or Hammer is just what this deck wants to do. Then turn 4 even with 1 creature removed we still have Purphoros online, or enough mana to play Stormbreath with Nykthos, or Fanatic for 5.

I think 3 Frostburn Weirds sideboard replacing 3 Glares and 4 BTE mainboard is the way to go.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jassi007 posted:

It is 2 color for answers to things that red does not deal with well.

Answering with what? You don't have any white cards mainboarded. What decks would you put Chained to the Rocks in that a Mizzium Mortars couldn't deal with? Thassa and Nylea aren't that big a threat if your deck does what it is supposed to do and keeps their devotion count low. And Erebos just lets your opponent kill themselves faster. At least run Boros Charm. I'd love for mono red to have a 2 mana instant "dome your opponent for 4".

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlternateNu posted:

Answering with what? You don't have any white cards mainboarded. What decks would you put Chained to the Rocks in that a Mizzium Mortars couldn't deal with? Thassa and Nylea aren't that big a threat if your deck does what it is supposed to do and keeps their devotion count low. And Erebos just lets your opponent kill themselves faster. At least run Boros Charm. I'd love for mono red to have a 2 mana instant "dome your opponent for 4".

I've been debating Boros Charm, I just don't know what to cut for it. White nswers to anything that is pro-red, indestructible, is an enchantment, or has more than 4 toughness.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Veyrall posted:

Whenever I try that, I get to look at the business end of Azorius Charm or Celestial Flare. Or Detention Sphere, since none of my threats are going to have haste.

Yes, your opponents will often have answers. Brave the Elements is a card we run four of (and is honestly the only reason to even consider WW as a deck), so we often have responses.

Veyrall posted:

Or another Supreme Verdict. Not to mention the Syncopates, Essence Scatter, Dissolves, etc that can follow the Verdict up, especially if they get to play first.

The number of counterspells being run right now is relatively small. Yes it sucks to get your stuff countered, but they have to have the card in hand. You also run 4x Mutavault as an un-verdictable threat, and most importantly you run 4-6 anthems as threat modifiers.

Veyrall posted:

The bottom line is, if I only put down two or so threats, UW has more than enough answers to just stall me until they kill me with Aetherling or whatever other win condition they feel like using. Assuming they're not aggressively Thoughtseizing me two or three turns in a row (Yes, it happened, and of course I drew nothing but lands)

Name a deck you don't lose to when they nut-draw and you don't? You're going to be searching a long time if you want a silver bullet that can reliably deal with every other deck in the format (and when you find it, it will be in those dismal times of nothing but mirror matches).

Veyrall posted:

Maybe I'm just not seeing it, so do you maybe have a stream or some kind of tournament report so that I can see what you're talking about. You make it sound simple, and I could swear your one of the players in this board who actually places in tournaments, but I'm having trouble believing it's as carefree as your saying it is.

No tournament report, only personal experience from playing in local tournaments against a bunch of grinders. Its not that "winning" is simple, its that playing a deck that rarely if ever stumbles and can often win after mulling to 5 is simple because you are turning dudes sideways and keeping answers open. White Weenie forces your opponent to have the right answers, and you yourself have answers for many of their "right answers". Sure if they draw all the right cards you are going to lose, but again, what doesn't lose when your opponent draws all the right cards and you don't?

The other advantage of piloting a relatively simple deck is you reduce the number of chances you have to defeat yourself with bad choices. I'm not a grinder or a pro and I don't have the time, dedication, or brainpower to be one. However I can run a machine that doesn't falter and has relatively simple decision trees without feeling stressed that I'm constantly misplaying. Even then I still mis-play but its usually not game-ending.

My point is that WW is a deck that punishes slow decks and any deck that stumbles, it can pull wins out of nowhere thanks to Brave the Elements, and as a bonus its cheap. Saying its terrible right now is just flat wrong in my *personal anecdotal experience*, but time will tell as far as tournament results. WW is not an archetype beloved by grinders aside from Wescoe and perhaps DeTora, so I wouldn't expect it to be tearing up the tourney results regardless of power level. There are all sorts of biases that go into deck selection by pro-level players which heavily skew the results to look like a single few archetypes are clearly and significantly more powerful that any alternatives, when in fact they may have much smaller margins of strength which are simply amplified by the players piloting them.

tl;dr: WW is not some new amazing deck that is secretly meta-beating, but it also isn't a deck people usually prepare for, rarely stumbles, and can steal wins from nowhere. Its a perfectly fine deck for any FNM level play (even against grinders playing pro-tour decks).

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

jassi007 posted:

I've been debating Boros Charm, I just don't know what to cut for it. White nswers to anything that is pro-red, indestructible, is an enchantment, or has more than 4 toughness.

What enchantments do you care about as a mono red deck, though? I guess Underworld Connections now? I know you'd rather just throw another dude out than worry about detention sphere.

The only pro-red creature of note is Master of Waves, and he is taken out by a well timed Skull Crack.

And outside of the gods (which aren't a threat if you can nail their board presence or force them to block enough), the only indestructible thing I can think of in the format is monstrous Fleecemane which should be dead before he has a chance to go monstrous. I'm not seeing the threats you appear to be.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

AlternateNu posted:

What enchantments do you care about as a mono red deck, though? I guess Underworld Connections now? I know you'd rather just throw another dude out than worry about detention sphere.

The only pro-red creature of note is Master of Waves, and he is taken out by a well timed Skull Crack.

And outside of the gods (which aren't a threat if you can nail their board presence or force them to block enough), the only indestructible thing I can think of in the format is monstrous Fleecemane which should be dead before he has a chance to go monstrous. I'm not seeing the threats you appear to be.

Unflinching courage is awful. Whip of Erebos, Bident of thassa, underworld connections all smacked around by wear/tear. Master of waves. Plus you haven't addressed the "deal with things over 4 toughness" issue. I repeatedly have had issues with GW midrange, they enchant fleecemane or loxodon smiter and it is difficult to finish the game. Desecration Demon, Alms beast. I literally got smashed by an Alms Beast. I also double burned a D.Demon to have them immediately drop a 2nd then whip back the first one. I don't see how the monored version of this build deals will things like that, other than hoping chump block with phoenix and bring it back gets there.

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse

GEMorris posted:

Reasonable things
Okay, I get where you're coming from now. While I probably won't go out of my way to make the deck, I do believe most of the pieces are fairly cheap right now. Also, other players at my LGS usually give pizza to people who come up with fun, if not entirely competitive, deck ideas and so losing with a cool deck isn't anywhere near as bad ~value~

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

jassi007 posted:

Unflinching courage is awful. Whip of Erebos, Bident of thassa, underworld connections all smacked around by wear/tear. Master of waves. Plus you haven't addressed the "deal with things over 4 toughness" issue. I repeatedly have had issues with GW midrange, they enchant fleecemane or loxodon smiter and it is difficult to finish the game. Desecration Demon, Alms beast. I literally got smashed by an Alms Beast. I also double burned a D.Demon to have them immediately drop a 2nd then whip back the first one. I don't see how the monored version of this build deals will things like that, other than hoping chump block with phoenix and bring it back gets there.

I don't know why you care about artifacts and things that don't matter until after you've already won the game.

Alms Beast is just another guy that loses to Chandra pings or to Firefist Striker. Underworld Connections is just a worse Read the Bones on the time scale you're interested in. Unflinching Courage is the only thing that really hurts, but you can still just throw two burn spells at the creature it's on and still come out even in cards.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Well, my murdergoats deck is being slowed down by the fact that my local store doesn't have any Purphoros'. I might have to go a little farther afoot, or actually trade cards with other people.

I think, to maximize my trolling opportunities, i might main deck slaughter games, just to choose the one guy I pissed off's gray merchants as soon as i see he's playing his black deck, and choose his stormbreath dragon when he's rolling red.

Anil Dikshit fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 22, 2013

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

kizudarake posted:

Well, my murdergoats deck is being slowed down by the fact that my local store doesn't have any Purphoros'. I might have to go a little farther afoot, or actually trade cards with other people.

I think, to maximize my trolling opportunities, i might main deck slaughter games, just to choose the one guy I pissed off's gray merchants as soon as i see he's playing his black deck, and choose his stormbreath dragon when he's rolling red.

I roll it main-deck in mine, it's a meta call. loving do it man, it's hilarious.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Veyrall posted:

Okay, I get where you're coming from now. While I probably won't go out of my way to make the deck, I do believe most of the pieces are fairly cheap right now. Also, other players at my LGS usually give pizza to people who come up with fun, if not entirely competitive, deck ideas and so losing with a cool deck isn't anywhere near as bad ~value~

FYI I just 3-1ed a daily with it. Should have 4-0ed but I let myself get blown out by an overloaded Mizzium Mortars twice. My opponent was running a very aggro RDW build and I just wasn't even thinking of the possibility that he could have a wipe in g2, and then in g3 I have no excuse other than being a baddie. Beat: Mono R devotion, Mono B Devotion, Mono U Devotion

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

What's your list for WW? I'm thinking about how I can take my stuff a bit more aggro. At the same time I was wondering about actually playing gideon or haunted platemails as a replacement for mutavault until I had the cash as post-verdict threats.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
I have a confession to make. I went from Bant Hexproof last season to this. I'm constantly loving up decisions because I spent so long playing an autopilot deck. I don't even understand how I placed at a small FNM last week, much less had no match losses. I'm having fun doing odd things to people.

Other MURDERGOATERS, what's been the reaction of the people you've played against?

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Ran this at a fundraiser, split first prize for 27 packs. Came third at GameDay, came 3rd or 4th, lost semifinals to drawing zero sideboard cards against Selesnya aggro. Gonna be bringing this to a charity event in Glen Burnie, MD on Saturday. Thoughts, comments, criticism welcome.

Deck: Stompy

//Lands
13 Forest
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple of Abandon

//Spells
2 Bow of Nylea
2 Domri Rade
1 Garruk, Caller of Beasts
2 Xenagos, the Reveler

//Creatures
1 Boon Satyr
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
1 Deadbridge Goliath
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Experiment One
2 Kalonian Hydra
3 Kalonian Tusker
1 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Polukranos, World Eater
2 Reverent Hunter
3 Scavenging Ooze
2 Witchstalker

//Sideboard
3 Naturalize
2 Fade into Antiquity
1 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Pithing Needle
2 Nylea's Disciple
2 Plummet
2 Deadly Recluse
1 Witchstalker

Display deck statistics

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I have a confession to make. I went from Bant Hexproof last season to this. I'm constantly loving up decisions because I spent so long playing an autopilot deck. I don't even understand how I placed at a small FNM last week, much less had no match losses. I'm having fun doing odd things to people.

Other MURDERGOATERS, what's been the reaction of the people you've played against?

I'm still hopeful, thinking about taking advantage of TNLG's buy list and stock of purphoros, but if it's as much fun as it looks, which is even more fun than making people bitch about Maze's End Fog, and is as out of left field in my meta as Maze's End Fog was, I may come back with a shiv made out of white bordered swamps in my back.

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I'm eager to give the deck a spin, but didn't want to buy in on three Purphoros. Then I opened two on Saturday, so, I'm game. Any updates since v2?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Malgrin posted:

I'm eager to give the deck a spin, but didn't want to buy in on three Purphoros. Then I opened two on Saturday, so, I'm game. Any updates since v2?

I had a friend 3-1 with my list a FNM last week.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Night Danger Moose posted:

Ran this at a fundraiser, split first prize for 27 packs. Came third at GameDay, came 3rd or 4th, lost semifinals to drawing zero sideboard cards against Selesnya aggro. Gonna be bringing this to a charity event in Glen Burnie, MD on Saturday. Thoughts, comments, criticism welcome.

Deck: Stompy

This is already leaning the way of RG Monsdevotion/Ramp which is where it wants to be. Things I think that could help:
  • -2 Bow - maindeck at least this card is weak. There's pretty much no scenario you wouldn't rather just drop another dude.
  • -1 Boon Satyr, -1 Deadbridge Goliath - as one of cards these guys are incredibly weak. Especially when significantly stronger options exist.
  • -3 X1 - as much as I love X1, he plays really well in more aggro-oriented builds where he can be a 2/2 on 2, a 3/3 on 3, etc. This deck is really good at not-evolving in a stable manner, so there's no call for him.
  • -3 Kalonian Tusker - while dropping GG on two will usually be pretty easy, this guy still isn't a big win for the deck because he's not bigger than Selesnya guys, and he loses trades with Reckoners in white and red. While GG devotion is attractive, there's better options.
  • -2 Witchstalker - in a world of 2GG 5/5 creatures with upside, a 1GG 3/3 with hexproof as it's only upside is a bit of a let-down. Stick to more ramp and meaty guys.
  • -2 Reverant Hunter - While this guy looks awesome, Nytkos makes Mistcutter Hydra basically the same thing but with Haste, and that's super relevant.

• +2 Nykthos - This card is really stupid and broken and you may as well ride the bus all the way to value town until we see a good answer to it.
  • +1 Garruk - He's so good at digging deep, and in a deck that can pretty reasonably get him on the board T4 (or sooner with nut draws) he can reload your hand quick to laugh at verdicts.
  • +4 Sylvan Caryatid - it blocks everything for days and makes you mana when it matters. It's also resistant to removal which is outstanding. Dropping this guy off a BTE chain if you don't have Nykthos is still awesome.
  • +1-2 Polukranos - This guy is such a big win in this deck you want to draw him reliably every game. Some folks prefer 3 because they only see one, while I personally see/saw value in multiples when you can monstrous a board down, then rinse and repeat if your opponent tries to pick up the pieces.
  • +3-4 Arbor Colossus - 6/6 reach for 2GGG sounds good, the fact it's got monstrosity is better, and in a deck that benefits from all the green devotion he dumps in your lap it's even stronger. If you've got Nykthos on the board with this guy, and somehow haven't dumped your hand yet, you will shortly.
  • +1-2 Mistcutter Hydra - with all the free mana you'll get from your ramp and crazy devotion land, you can just dump it into this guy to power out huge hydra's as early as T3 (when I got to watch a 9/9 run into the guy next to me).
  • +1 Scavenging Ooze - I don't even think I need to elaborate on this one.

• +X Chandra [Sideboard] - Against control lists, the more planewalkers you've got the merrier, since they will win you the game on all the card advantage they give up. I got to watch a player next to me survive back-to-back verdicts with this list by having Chandra, Domri, and Garruk on board giving him ridiculously huge card advantage swings. Guy would go from an empty hand to 3-4 guys and checking out his next draw in no time flat.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Throwing my hat into the ring for the upcoming Standard season and wanted to get an opinion on this BG control list I've been kicking around.

// Deck: BG control (60)

// Lands
5 Forest
2 Golgari Guildgate
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Overgrown Tomb
13 Swamp

// Creatures
2 Desecration Demon
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
2 Nightveil Specter
2 Reaper of the Wilds
4 Sylvan Caryatid

// Spells
3 Abrupt Decay
2 Erebos, God of the Dead
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Putrefy
4 Thoughtseize
2 Ultimate Price
2 Underworld Connections
2 Vraska the Unseen
1 Whip of Erebos

This is sort of a Frankenstein's monster of control and midrange and it could use a little love. Caryatids may be invaluable for speeding me past UW control with the Specter, or dropping a quick Desecration Demon or Reaper but I am considering swapping them out for Deathrite Shamans. Also thinking about swapping the numbers on Vraska and Whip. Would love any other suggestions.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd consider dropping the forests or even the guildgates for Breeding Pools - your biggest colour commitment is the Specter, and a Breeding Pool is basically a forest that still helps you cast it.

Making use of off-colour hybrid mana like this in order to get "extra" shocklands is something a lot of people miss, but it definitely helps smooth your mana base.

Yegor
Dec 21, 2007
In Gypsytown there are two rules. Number one: stay in car.
I'm currently trying to brew up a GB stompy deck and was wondering if Kalonian Hydra was still worth running. Do the other available hydras just outweigh it for the fatty slot for their versatility? Also should I run BTEs even if I'm not running red?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

TheLawinator posted:

What's your list for WW? I'm thinking about how I can take my stuff a bit more aggro. At the same time I was wondering about actually playing gideon or haunted platemails as a replacement for mutavault until I had the cash as post-verdict threats.

I linked it a few pages back : http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572508&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=12#post420751616

Right now the main change I am looking at is swapping Cavalry Pegasus (which is amazing but conditional) for Judge's Familliar.

Soothing Cacophony
Sep 29, 2009
Judge's Familiar is actually pretty great against control. It doesn't buy you a lot of time, but it buys you enough usually, especially against lists that run Anger of the Gods, which is probably the hardest thing to recover from if you aren't packing a BtE.

How does Path of Bravery do for you? Do you end up siding it out a lot? I love anthems and I completely forgot that one existed. It seems like it'd be really easy to turn off, especially for a midrange deck, but if it works, it seems killer. I might have to throw together a WW list with that card, cause having Spear and Path active sounds right up my alley (WW is the best deck).

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Any deck running Nykthos really should be running a 4-of. It's not a card that's good sometimes, it's good all the time, and there's nothing more silly that seeing someone go "Pay 2, Nykthos for 8, play Nykthos, pay 2, Nykthos for another 8, 14 floating dump my hand."

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Is there a way of getting your deck to not appear on Wizards' MTGO DE decklists? I'm looking for xMiMx's current list but he's being quite secretive about it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Mikujin posted:

Any deck running Nykthos really should be running a 4-of. It's not a card that's good sometimes, it's good all the time, and there's nothing more silly that seeing someone go "Pay 2, Nykthos for 8, play Nykthos, pay 2, Nykthos for another 8, 14 floating dump my hand."

Imagine if Explore/Crop Rotation were in the format :can:.

Soothing Cacophony posted:

Judge's Familiar is actually pretty great against control. It doesn't buy you a lot of time, but it buys you enough usually, especially against lists that run Anger of the Gods, which is probably the hardest thing to recover from if you aren't packing a BtE.

How does Path of Bravery do for you? Do you end up siding it out a lot? I love anthems and I completely forgot that one existed. It seems like it'd be really easy to turn off, especially for a midrange deck, but if it works, it seems killer. I might have to throw together a WW list with that card, cause having Spear and Path active sounds right up my alley (WW is the best deck).

People play Anger in control lists as opposed to Verdict?

There's nothing more fun than Jace -2 revealing a verdict and 2 lands, taking the lands, and then playing 2 verdicts over your next 3 turns :3:.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Mikujin posted:

It is almost a dead card early game when you're still trying to get all of your CC or CCC creatures out to power it. As a counterpoint, any deck that does run 4 x Nykthos should probably have a set of 1C 2-drops just so they can have something to play turn 2.

Tenebrous Tourist
Aug 28, 2008

Hi all, I took the advice you posted about my MBC deck last week and made some changes to it. I also switched some things around based on the MBC decks that made top 8 this last weekend. The deck is hoping to keep opponents' threats off the board and then go crazy with Pack Rat, Desecration Demon, or Gray Merchant (or, in a perfect world, all three).

Feed the Animals

4 Pack Rat
4 Nightveil Specter
3 Lifebane Zombie
3 Desecration Demon
4 Gray Merchant
2 Erebos
=20 Creatures

4 Doom Blade
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Duress
2 Thoughtseize
4 Underworld Connections
2 Whip of Erebos
1 Liliana of the Dark Realms
=18 Spells

2 Nykthos
20 Swamp
=22 Lands

Sideboard
1 Lifebane Zombie
3 Pharika's Cure
2 Illness in the Ranks
3 Devour Flesh
1 Pithing Needle
3 Thrill-Kill Assassin
2 Ratchet Bomb

I could probably benefit from a full playset of Thoughtseize but the other two are out of my budget right now. Is it worth it to bump up the Duress count? Maybe make room in the sideboard for them?

I haven't seen any decks really running Lili, but I think it may be worth trying in here. It increases devotion, feeds me lands when I need them (or if I want something I don't mind pitching to Pack Rat), and helps thin my deck for better draws.

I'm not really sure about the sideboard at this point, I'll explain my thinking and see if it makes sense:

The extra Lifebane would replace a Nightveil against Selesnya decks. My chance of playing something off of Nightveil in that game is small, so i may as well get rid of more of their hand.

Pharika's Cure is a replacement for Duress (and maybe one Hero's Downfall) against RDW; they won't have as many noncreature cards to grab with it Cure kills practically anything in the deck besides Reckoner.

Devour Flesh is to help hit Obzedat and Blood Baron against Esper. It would replace three of the Doom Blades, with Lifebane replacing the fourth.

Pithing Needle is Pithing Needle.

The Thrill-Kills would replace Lifebane in the mirror . I really don't know if this even makes sense, but they seem like they would be less fragile and better at getting damage through.

Illness and Ratchet Bomb are both there to hose token decks- Illness neuters Master of Waves and adds some devotion; Ratchet Bomb can help out against Advent of the Wurm.

Is this looking better than last time so far? Thanks for all the help guys!

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I got inspired yesterday and started tossing together ideas for decks. Here's something I came up with based on the RG Monsters core:

I really want to squeeze in 4 Lightning Strikes because targeted removal is a playstyle thing for me. My first thought was to cut both Xenagos, but then I can't decide what else to cut. I'm also not sure if I should cut Xenagos or not. He might end up going in the sideboard against control but I dunno.

Any suggestions?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
The best targeted removal for R/G monsters is Wasteland Viper :getin: In all seriousness though lightning strike seems to be pretty unnecessary - who cares about thrill-kill assassin? Just keep sending pollies at it since you've got 2 more in your hand. If you're worried about running out of gas Bow of Nylea is pretty cute.

Also, with all the Devotion decks going big, I'm kind of tempted to try the infinite combo U/R devotion list.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Oct 22, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Zoness posted:

Also, with all the Devotion decks going big, I'm kind of tempted to try the infinite combo U/R devotion list.

There's a standard-legal U/R infinite using devotion?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

AlternateNu posted:

http://www.channelfireball.com/home/spoiler-spotlight-nykthos-shrine-to-nyx/

It's the second part of the article. Nykthos, hidden strings, nivix guildmage, steam vents and 2 islands (and a couple of permanents) can net you infinite mana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

AlternateNu posted:

^^^ also that

Yeah, it takes 6 Devotion to U or R, a land of the other color, Hidden Strings, and Nivix Guildmage. The start-up mana cost is like 5UUR. On the critical turn this can be achieved with a nykthos activation into sacrificing nykthos, extra Hidden Strings, whatever.

1. Pay 1U to put Hidden Strings on the stack - 4UR left
2. Pay 2UR to copy Hidden Strings targetting the land and Nykthos, let the copy resolve - 2 left
3. Pay 2 to activate Nykthos for RRRRRR, tap land for U - 4URR in pool
4. Go to Step 2 - you gain R with each iteration.

If you have a dual land you can use that to add U or R in each iteration, otherwise you use surplus mana to have nykthos act as a filter turning R into U.

With all this mana you can use Nivix Guidmage's ability to loot through your deck for any Burn Spell and kill your opponent with it. Meletis Charlatan can also work but requires devotion to U and an untap.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 22, 2013

• Locked thread