Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cuckoo posted:

It's almost too complicated to narrow down that specifically. It can be case by case almost, depending on many factors. Some common ones: A) If a different Pokemon can do its exact job better B) If it's ability is good C) if its typing is a general boon or hinderance in relation to the stats it was given D) What are the counters running around that straight up destroy it, and how common are they D) Is its movepool varied or limited? (The purpose of this is that unpredictability is often key to winning matches, and if you are using a one trick pony an experienced battler will predict and counter you more easily)

One of the reasons some people were mad about Amaura's typing is that Rock and Ice is horrible defensively. This is because Fighting moves are everywhere competitively, and not only are the attacks themselves insanely powerful but they are often given to Pokemon who hit like a truck. You can't defend as well against your major weaknesses if they're everywhere.

Makes sense. Going deeper, how can I decide if a Pokemon can do its job better? Let's say my strategy for a specific game was to lower the defense of the team and then try to attack with Pokemon that are specifically strong against that type. Nature aside, would I just want a Pokemon with quick speed to come out, act as the suicide, take a few hits, swap out later, then go in on that opposing Poke? Then, to add to that, when I switch out the Pokemon for the stronger one, I'd want to make sure it was one with incredible stats, strong EVs placed in attack (and/or special attack), and had nice IVs? It sounds basic when I phrase it this way, but I'm having an incredibly difficult time learning this stuff. Maybe I should just pay someone to teach me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Kraven Moorhed posted:

You guys need to get on my level.

Coming soon to a battle near you.

Get like me. I've gotten 3 shinies (a Starmie and two Claunchers) and I've frozen on that part of the save screen after every one I've caught. I can save just fine at any point before I've caught the shiny.

Now I can't get a chain above 15 because I keep messing up the timing and being too slow.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

One thing to keep in mind is that Smogon tiers (sans Ubers and the Borderline banlists) are based on usage rather than power. While there is a general correlation between the two there are quite a few lower tier pokemon that are just as viable as OU ones they just tend to be a bit more niche. Examples from Gen V include Sableye, Tornadus and Kingdra from UU; Feraligatr and Amoongus from RU and Sawsbuck and Stoutland in NU.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Let's say my strategy for a specific game was to lower the defense of the team

Any strategy that revolves around lower the opponent's stats is a bad one, because all they have to do to make your strategy crumble is switch Pokemon.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So I noticed that on the Pokemon on my team (with the exception of Aegislash for some reason) one of the stats will be in pink and the other stat in blue. Like for instance Mewtwo's attack is blue and his speed is pink. But my Klefki's Special Attack is pink and her Special Defense is blue. What does that mean?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

WrightOfWay posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that Smogon tiers (sans Ubers and the Borderline banlists) are based on usage rather than power. While there is a general correlation between the two there are quite a few lower tier pokemon that are just as viable as OU ones they just tend to be a bit more niche. Examples from Gen V include Sableye, Tornadus and Kingdra from UU; Feraligatr and Amoongus from RU and Sawsbuck and Stoutland in NU.

I think tiers are the one thing I fully understand. Well, that and EVs in their purest form. I don't quite get how people can gauge which EVs need specific training. Like, I don't necessarily understand how someone can see that a Delphox would be better off with high attack EVs (were that the case) and not strong defense or something akin to that. I think I get IVs though (apart from the same x needs higher IVs in y instead of z).

LAY-ZX posted:

Any strategy that revolves around lower the opponent's stats is a bad one, because all they have to do to make your strategy crumble is switch Pokemon.

Hmm, this makes sense. These things make sense when it's all about logic and smart move making. It's more of the "why do I do this?" part that has me baffled.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Macaluso posted:

So I noticed that on the Pokemon on my team (with the exception of Aegislash for some reason) one of the stats will be in pink and the other stat in blue. Like for instance Mewtwo's attack is blue and his speed is pink. But my Klefki's Special Attack is pink and her Special Defense is blue. What does that mean?

That's their nature's effect on their stats. The red stat is raised and the blue stat is lower. Aegislash doesn't have it because he has a neutral nature, which is to say a nature that both raises and lowers the same stat, creating a net gain of zero.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

noirstronaut posted:

I think tiers are the one thing I fully understand. Well, that and EVs in their purest form. I don't quite get how people can gauge which EVs need specific training. Like, I don't necessarily understand how someone can see that a Delphox would be better off with high attack EVs (were that the case) and not strong defense or something akin to that. I think I get IVs though (apart from the same x needs higher IVs in y instead of z).

That's easy: Look at the base stats of any given Pokemon. Delphox has high Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed so it can be a special attacker with bulk. Infernape has high base attack, so its an attacker.

If your Pokemon's species appears to specialized in something, you generally want to max out those stats in EVs and Nature. A defensive slow Pokemon generally finds maximum speed and a + speed nature like Jolly useless, because who's it going to outspeed anyway? Of course, that's not a hard rule and you can mix it up more for mixed attacker sets or whatever role it will fill.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

So the censorship doesn't recognize 'é' as a replacement for 'e'.

kater fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Oct 22, 2013

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

e: ^^^ Literally a master of comedy right here.

noirstronaut posted:

A Pokemon that can hit hard and fast is going to want more EVs in speed and its attack stat so it can hit harder and faster. A Pokemon that can take a few hits but can't dish it out all that well wants points in its defenses and/or HP so it can take even more hits and stall out the opponent.

Generally you just want IVs as high as possible for every stat. There are three exceptions, none of which besides the first really matter all that much considering how little effect IVs actually have:
-Hidden Power's type is based on your IV total. Going for a specific Hidden Power type requires you to fudge the numbers a bit, which is something that's a complete pain in the rear end in-game so Hidden Power is only really any good in a simulator.
-If a Pokemon is a special attacker, or a staller that doesn't attack at all, having lower IVs in attack is nice since that's just a little less damage it'll do to itself if it gets confused.
-Trick Room and Gyro Ball rely on being a slow motherfucker, so if possible you want minimum IVs in Speed for those.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Hmm, this makes sense. These things make sense when it's all about logic and smart move making. It's more of the "why do I do this?" part that has me baffled.

It's really what you want the pokemon to do. If you want it to hit hard, you can just dump everything into attack or special attack and speed so it hits the opponent and hopefully kills it before it has a chance to take a hit. If it's a slow Pokemon that can take hits, you might want to put points into the defensive stats and attack so it can take a hit and hit back.

Honestly like 90% of the time I just max out the attack stat being used

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
For you goons having problems with the GTS, stop using the "only pokemon I have" search function dealy. I stopped using it and I've done 3 consecutive trades with no power button OFF crash. I know it's not convenient, but neither is rebooting your 3DS every 5 minutes.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

^^^^ You don't have to actually reboot. Just hit the power button and Home menu. Some people were saying this makes the bug return but I've never had it double up.

LAY-ZX posted:

e: ^^^ Literally a master of comedy right here.

I can't help it if I think of one thing after listening to extreme restraint ads and encounter that thing.

Also I thought Quick Balls were supposed to be nigh-powerful and last until Victory Road? I've been throwing them out on Route 14 and broken half a dozen.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Whats it mean when a player icon is glowing red on the pss?

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Malalol posted:

Whats it mean when a player icon is glowing red on the pss?

They've used an O-Power on you. Click on them, then O-Power, and Receive O-Power.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Speaking of the GTS, if I could only make one change to this game I would allow you to search the GTS by what other people want. Since, for example, I have a box of Bulbasaurs I'd like to trade away, I could just search by people wanting a Bulbasaur and see if there are any trades I'd like to make.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I've done it! I finally got an Absol that I'm happy with, hooray!

Hasty
31/27/31/25/12/31

A GODDAMN TYPO
Oct 22, 2008

What's a good stat to train Mewtwo in? I plugged his stats into an IV calculator and got told that his Special Attack was poo poo, but I also had to fudge a number since I basically got a 'this stat is invalid' answer.

I have no idea how to metagame or what would even be a good setup for him. I'm new to this kind of thing. :ohdear:

For reference:

Mewtwo @ Mewtwonite Y
Naughty nature, likes to thrash about
HP 247
Attack 198
Defense 144
Sp. Attack 222
Sp. Def 137
Speed 208

Recover, Psychic, Barrier, Aura Sphere

A GODDAMN TYPO fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 22, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cuckoo posted:

That's easy: Look at the base stats of any given Pokemon. Delphox has high Special Attack, Special Defense and Speed so it can be a special attacker with bulk. Infernape has high base attack, so its an attacker.

If your Pokemon's species appears to specialized in something, you generally want to max out those stats in EVs and Nature. A defensive slow Pokemon generally finds maximum speed and a + speed nature like Jolly useless, because who's it going to outspeed anyway? Of course, that's not a hard rule and you can mix it up more for mixed attacker sets or whatever role it will fill.

Perfect, perfect.

One final question before I call it a night and start all of this tomorrow. When going to learn about your Pokemon, is that more or less the simple part? For example, let's say my strategy is to build a team that is stacked with heavily defensive Pokemon that have three heavy hitting moves in varying type. The nature of these Pokes makes the moves hit critically 3/5 times (strictly for example) and the attacks all have a power.

Thinking about this, would the best plan on action be to have a strong defensive Pokemon head out first, get a few good hits in, use a healing move on itself, potentially swap out for a stronger or different Pokemon, see that that one is listed as "fighting and dark" (like Pangoro), then secretly hit the opponent with Surf? To me, that sounds like a cunning plan if I'm going against someone who doesn't expect the Pokemon to know surf, and by using the healing move during my last turn, it guides them to thinking I just want to exchange for a buffer Pokemon. This is probably either an old tactic or one that has never been used for its simplicity, but just for example's sake.

Now, let's say I do that and I manage to kill that Pokemon, they send out a new one. My Pangoro will need to have at least a decent defense as well in order to stand some of the next Pokemon's attacks. This is where I'm thinking moveset comes in? Would I basically just need to try and get the HP to a point where I can manage to knock it out with another Poke? If I swap out Pangoro later and they combat by also swapping with another Poke, would Protect or something like that be my best course of action to protect from their potential hit and to also see which moves I have will damage the Poke on a different level?

Honestly, I'm really sorry for clogging this thread, but I'm learning so much in a short period of time, but I really want to do competitive battling even if I'm horrible at it. Thanks to everyone again!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

It's disappointing that Dedenne can't learn Dazzling Gleam. Play Rough is the only Fairy attack it learns and it's physical stat is awful. :/

I gave mine Hidden Power and it seems to be either Ghost or Dark.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I am recently converted to Mawile crew. So freaking adorable.

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

noirstronaut posted:

Perfect, perfect.

One final question before I call it a night and start all of this tomorrow. When going to learn about your Pokemon, is that more or less the simple part? For example, let's say my strategy is to build a team that is stacked with heavily defensive Pokemon that have three heavy hitting moves in varying type. The nature of these Pokes makes the moves hit critically 3/5 times (strictly for example) and the attacks all have a power.

Thinking about this, would the best plan on action be to have a strong defensive Pokemon head out first, get a few good hits in, use a healing move on itself, potentially swap out for a stronger or different Pokemon, see that that one is listed as "fighting and dark" (like Pangoro), then secretly hit the opponent with Surf? To me, that sounds like a cunning plan if I'm going against someone who doesn't expect the Pokemon to know surf, and by using the healing move during my last turn, it guides them to thinking I just want to exchange for a buffer Pokemon. This is probably either an old tactic or one that has never been used for its simplicity, but just for example's sake.

Now, let's say I do that and I manage to kill that Pokemon, they send out a new one. My Pangoro will need to have at least a decent defense as well in order to stand some of the next Pokemon's attacks. This is where I'm thinking moveset comes in? Would I basically just need to try and get the HP to a point where I can manage to knock it out with another Poke? If I swap out Pangoro later and they combat by also swapping with another Poke, would Protect or something like that be my best course of action to protect from their potential hit and to also see which moves I have will damage the Poke on a different level?

Honestly, I'm really sorry for clogging this thread, but I'm learning so much in a short period of time, but I really want to do competitive battling even if I'm horrible at it. Thanks to everyone again!

If it were that easy to boil down, all teams would follow that formula. You can have your team be offensive, defensive, or balanced. But yes, that is generally the line of thinking you should be doing to win. I forget Pangoro's stats off the top of my head but in your scenario, if his Special Attack sucks don't do Surf. Also if Pangoro is meant to be an attacker, don't worry about his defense. If you want a Pokemon that can dish a hit and take one in return, you're better off looking at ones with a typing that benefits that like Steel. Scizor is a great example of a Bulky offense Pokemon.

If you both swapped and you want to scout, I'd suggest something that can shuffle the opponent's team with Roar or a "scout" who can hit and run with Volt Switch or U turn. This allows them to get a hit in, however effective it may be, and switch back out. This is again where Stealth Rock comes into play, though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

noirstronaut posted:

One final question before I call it a night and start all of this tomorrow.

As a quick, general comment, I think you're right that most of that is a "cunning plan," but I also think that you're overthinking it a bit. I'm worried you're going to end up like those people who try to develop MASTER STRATEGIES for fighting games and then lose their first 20 games and get flustered that their brilliant plan isn't working (because they have no actual game experience). Your strategy is sort of schizophrenic and hard to read since you don't actually know how the flow of a battle goes down.

This isn't a knock against you, but I think you should maybe spectate matches on battle simulators or YouTube to get an idea of how stuff works, or better yet, just make a team of your own (without worrying about EVs, IVs, and Natures to start) and see what happens. You'll lose really terribly, but if you look at your match critically - try recording it using the Vs. Seeker, you can even link it here if you want people to comment on it! - you'll notice things like "Boy, I didn't realize my team was so vulnerable to pokemon that had both Ice and Water attacks", or "I don't really know what to do when my opponent starts stacking Speed Boost," or even "It doesn't seem like the surprise of packing Surf on my Pangoro is worth giving up the benefit of an move that uses its higher Attack stat, even if it's super effective."

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Any tips for breeding? Competitive Pokemon looks like fun but I feel like setting people up for greatness instead of jumping in.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Agoat posted:

Any tips for breeding? Competitive Pokemon looks like fun but I feel like setting people up for greatness instead of jumping in.

Get a Fletchinder or Slugma, catch a ton of Ditto, get an Everstone, Power Items if you can be bothered, then go hog wild.

edit: I'll elaborate. Fletchinder and Slugma have an ability called Flame Body (or something) that basically cuts the steps needed to hatch an egg in half. The Ditto is for breeding anything you want, also you want a lot of them of varying natures + the Everstone to pass down the nature of your choice. The Power Items are for passing down desired IVs (if you don't know what this means don't worry about it, ignore it).

Agoat posted:

I've been accidentally power hatching eggs with Fletchinder for a little while. Is there a nature list anywhere? I'd like to set up a PC box filled with newly hatched Pokemon that have good stats.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Nature#List_of_Natures

The entire site is really useful, but I think it's lacking in Gen 6 information. It should cover you for general stats and methods concerning breeding and the like, for strategies I would suggest Smogon for a guideline. Use it a stepping stone as they're only there to give you ideas for the most part, following them to a tee won't prove beneficial if you don't have good team synergy. There's a website somewhere where you plug in your team and tells you where they're strong and where they're weak, I can't remember it though.

HoneyBoy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 22, 2013

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

HoneyBoy posted:

Get a Fletchinder or Slugma, catch a ton of Ditto, get an Everstone, Power Items if you can be bothered, then go hog wild.

I've been accidentally power hatching eggs with Fletchinder for a little while. Is there a nature list anywhere? I'd like to set up a PC box filled with newly hatched Pokemon that have good stats.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I went on a fossil-hunting spree and I have too many Plume Fossils, and I figured out the perfect way to get rid of my Wonder Trade Caterpies and Kakunas. They're all holding Plume Fossils now. :getin: Also Pokerus. They're like reverse trojan horses!

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

BattleCake posted:

Yeah it was the dorkiest yet somehow also the greatest thing ever, printing out those loving stickers :allears:

And they hacked in the ability to export your photos to the SD card in the Wii Virtual Console release so you can still do it!

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

kater posted:

Also I thought Quick Balls were supposed to be nigh-powerful and last until Victory Road? I've been throwing them out on Route 14 and broken half a dozen.

Caught my box front legendary with a quick ball, 1st time :)

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

nerdbot posted:

I went on a fossil-hunting spree and I have too many Plume Fossils, and I figured out the perfect way to get rid of my Wonder Trade Caterpies and Kakunas. They're all holding Plume Fossils now. :getin: Also Pokerus. They're like reverse trojan horses!

Thanks for reminding me that Game Freak effectively doomed a really cool Pokémon and one of the few flying ones I like from the get go by giving it the worst ability known to man instead of slightly tuning it's attack down.

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

Dastardly posted:

Thanks for reminding me that Game Freak effectively doomed a really cool Pokémon and one of the few flying ones I like from the get go by giving it the worst ability known to man instead of slightly tuning it's attack down.

Defeatist is nowhere near as bad as Slow Start or Truant.

And Archeops is completely usable.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Cyflan posted:

Defeatist is nowhere near as bad as Slow Start or Truant.

And Archeops is completely usable.

Oh it's usable alright but it does not the deserve it's ability when they could have just tuned it's stats.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Cuckoo posted:

If it were that easy to boil down, all teams would follow that formula. You can have your team be offensive, defensive, or balanced. But yes, that is generally the line of thinking you should be doing to win. I forget Pangoro's stats off the top of my head but in your scenario, if his Special Attack sucks don't do Surf. Also if Pangoro is meant to be an attacker, don't worry about his defense. If you want a Pokemon that can dish a hit and take one in return, you're better off looking at ones with a typing that benefits that like Steel. Scizor is a great example of a Bulky offense Pokemon.

If you both swapped and you want to scout, I'd suggest something that can shuffle the opponent's team with Roar or a "scout" who can hit and run with Volt Switch or U turn. This allows them to get a hit in, however effective it may be, and switch back out. This is again where Stealth Rock comes into play, though.

Got it. I think I've learned enough for today, thanks again, man. It's incredibly helpful!

Countblanc posted:

As a quick, general comment, I think you're right that most of that is a "cunning plan," but I also think that you're overthinking it a bit. I'm worried you're going to end up like those people who try to develop MASTER STRATEGIES for fighting games and then lose their first 20 games and get flustered that their brilliant plan isn't working (because they have no actual game experience). Your strategy is sort of schizophrenic and hard to read since you don't actually know how the flow of a battle goes down.

This isn't a knock against you, but I think you should maybe spectate matches on battle simulators or YouTube to get an idea of how stuff works, or better yet, just make a team of your own (without worrying about EVs, IVs, and Natures to start) and see what happens. You'll lose really terribly, but if you look at your match critically - try recording it using the Vs. Seeker, you can even link it here if you want people to comment on it! - you'll notice things like "Boy, I didn't realize my team was so vulnerable to pokemon that had both Ice and Water attacks", or "I don't really know what to do when my opponent starts stacking Speed Boost," or even "It doesn't seem like the surprise of packing Surf on my Pangoro is worth giving up the benefit of an move that uses its higher Attack stat, even if it's super effective."

Yeah, I mostly have nothing to base or use as an example since I've never spent time remembering the names of Pokes from Gen V, but I do know that I cared a great deal for my Pangoro early on and thought teaching him Surf was the best idea I'd ever had. I was using that mostly for examples sake to try and make sure I had the right idea down as far as how competitive battling goes.

I'll definitely be taking your advice however. There's a lot for me to learn, so looking up videos will be incredibly entertaining and educational in the same way. On top of that, I'll definitely be back to ask and get critique on my team.

[Separate note: Do you guys use a specific site to cross check things about Pokemon? Like an online Pokedex or something or is it just a mix or Serebii, Smogon and Bulbapedia?]

This is a sea of useful information! Thanks a bunch!

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Timid nature but garbage IVs. Fishing makes shiny water types not even cool anymore.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a way to get a Darmanitan in X/Y or am I stuck until Pokebank?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Agoat posted:

Is there a way to get a Darmanitan in X/Y or am I stuck until Pokebank?

Unobtainable, sadly.

God Damn Dam God
Dec 24, 2004

I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but if you get an exp boost o-power and go into a restaurant battle, it stays active for the entire series of battles. I was getting close to 100k xp per meal with level 1 boost and an xp egg. Restaurants are totally the best place to level.

edit: this was the 3 star restaurant so it paid pretty well too.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
What's the moveset for aegislash that makes him broken?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Centzon Totochtin posted:

What's the moveset for aegislash that makes him broken?

King's Shield/Swords Dance/Shadow Sneak and either Sacred Sword or Iron Head.

Note, he's not really broken. Will-o-wisp and other status goes straight through King's Shield and he's absolute bait for things resistant to Ghost that are faster than him. He is a really, really good pokemon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I've been hatching Grimers for an hour and a random Japanese person I traded with in the GTS has been giving me the level 3 hatching o-power every couple minutes. I can't do anything besides spam the nice button but I love him and his psychic ability to know what I'm doing.

• Locked thread