Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I kind of wish the country would go back the the old RCMP system, seems like a big mistake to make policing entirely municipally based. Am I alone on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
CTV just called Don Iveson as next Edmonton mayor.

It was expected, I'm fine with him as mayor.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Baronjutter posted:

Canadian content: what is the law in Canada regarding the filming of police? Does it vary from region to region or are we totally free to film? Have any canadian police forces gotten behind the whole officer-cam thing? It really seems like such a nearly bullet-proof system for both helping cops and protecting the public.

I believe it was in this thread that I read about Edmonton testing officer-cams, but as I'm not there I'll leave it to someone who is to confirm that.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

Austrian mook posted:

I kind of wish the country would go back the the old RCMP system, seems like a big mistake to make policing entirely municipally based. Am I alone on this?

What does "the old RCMP system" mean to you? When I think "the old RCMP" I think the wonderful folks who brought us the Fruit Machine and decades of suppression of organised labour.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Did Edmonton go to a 4 year term as well?

Edit: I should have assumed that was set by the municipality act. duh

apatheticman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 22, 2013

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Yes

Justin Godscock posted:

CTV just called Don Iveson as next Edmonton mayor.

It was expected, I'm fine with him as mayor.

He is ridiculously unqualified.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

Whiteycar posted:

Did Edmonton go to a 4 year term as well?
Municipal elections in Alberta are set by the province. All municipalities are having their elections tonight.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Paper Mac posted:

What does "the old RCMP system" mean to you? When I think "the old RCMP" I think the wonderful folks who brought us the Fruit Machine and decades of suppression of organised labour.

Really, just federal policing. If you make it municipal, then the rich areas get better policing and the poor ones, get worse. It's the same way with the healthcare system, some things should be universally the same for everyone in the country and I think that policing should be one of those.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Austrian mook posted:

Really, just federal policing. If you make it municipal, then the rich areas get better policing and the poor ones, get worse. It's the same way with the healthcare system, some things should be universally the same for everyone in the country and I think that policing should be one of those.
Healthcare isn't run that way though, and neither is education. If you mean federal, or provincial, level equalizing funding then that might be an argument to make, but I wouldn't call that Federal policing. I don't really have strong opinions on the subject but municipalities certainly should have some say in the policing within them.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Healthcare isn't run that way though, and neither is education. If you mean federal, or provincial, level equalizing funding then that might be an argument to make, but I wouldn't call that Federal policing. I don't really have strong opinions on the subject but municipalities certainly should have some say in the policing within them.

I'm talking about ideally, at least for me. The cycle of wealth and the cycle of poverty is almost impossible to break and it's little stuff like that that gets us closer to a not poo poo place to live.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

If we're talking about ideally, the federal police force we'd have to work with in that scenario wouldn't have the sort of systemic issues the RCMP has exhibited and continues to exhibit. Your point might be a fair one in general, but we're a far cry from that being a reality.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Kafka Esq. posted:

Is anyone going to be volunteering for either the Liberals or NDP in Toronto Centre? I'll be at Linda McQuaig's office after 2pm today, and I'll be at Samara's Paul Wells book launch tomorrow.

I worked on Linda's nomination campaign. I'll probably be involved in some form in the campaign proper, but Jennifer Hollett is going to be taking over most of the digital end of things that I was doing.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Dolash posted:

If we're talking about ideally, the federal police force we'd have to work with in that scenario wouldn't have the sort of systemic issues the RCMP has exhibited and continues to exhibit. Your point might be a fair one in general, but we're a far cry from that being a reality.

Yeah, idealism is fun but when you get down to it, everything is broken and we are all awful people. :(

E: gently caress I have no clue who I'm voting for in this next Federal election.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

PT6A posted:

I'm going to line up at my polling place early so I can be the first to vote against John Mar. God, I hate that useless loving narcissist prick. Apparently the guy actually has multiple framed photos of himself, posing, in his office. He seems to think his ward ends where downtown begins, and that, most of all, I simply cannot abide.

Wishes DO come true

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

cougar cub posted:

Yes

He is ridiculously unqualified.
How is he ridiculously unqualified? He's spent several terms as city councillor and is basically the wonkiest city-politics nerd in Alberta.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Whiteycar posted:

Wishes DO come true

They sure do. Woolley better not be another anti-smoking nazi, though. We seem to have an impressive collection of them already, and while reasonable restrictions are okay, I think this city and many others are going way too far.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

PT6A posted:

They sure do. Woolley better not be another anti-smoking nazi, though. We seem to have an impressive collection of them already, and while reasonable restrictions are okay, I think this city and many others are going way too far.

I smoke myself, but the majority of anti-smoking legislation is actually in line with the WHO Anti Tobacco Framework:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHO_Framework_Convention_on_Tobacco_Control

Of which Canada is a signatory who has ratified the agreement. Thing like banning advertisement, banning smoking x meters from doors, pictures on the packs, etc. are all laid out by this agreement aren't generally up to municipalities to agree with. Sure, some can jump on early but the broad rules are meant to be enforced the same over the whole country.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Scaramouche posted:

I smoke myself, but the majority of anti-smoking legislation is actually in line with the WHO Anti Tobacco Framework:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WHO_Framework_Convention_on_Tobacco_Control

Of which Canada is a signatory who has ratified the agreement. Thing like banning advertisement, banning smoking x meters from doors, pictures on the packs, etc. are all laid out by this agreement aren't generally up to municipalities to agree with. Sure, some can jump on early but the broad rules are meant to be enforced the same over the whole country.

I'm not happy about most provincial and federal laws, but the city has doubled down on stupidity. Particularly the restrictions on smoking outdoors away from buildings. I'm particularly concerned about any restrictions on smoking in one's own home or car, and I think it's a battle that's coming our way pretty soon.

I still have yet to hear a reasonable explanation why properly vented establishments devoted to tobacco smoking (cigar shops and cigar lounges) shouldn't be allowed, other than "gently caress you, smokers." Even very anti-smoking cities like NYC allow these to operate, yet all across Canada they are practically forbidden.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 22, 2013

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Until our streets have fully militarized cops beating the poo poo out of people throwing their butts on the sidewalk or our their car window I don't think we've gone far enough.

Pick up that can butt

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

PT6A posted:

I still have yet to hear a reasonable explanation why properly vented establishments devoted to tobacco smoking (cigar shops and cigar lounges) shouldn't be allowed, other than "gently caress you, smokers." Even very anti-smoking cities like NYC allow these to operate, yet all across Canada they are practically forbidden.

I can think of at least two Shisha bars in the city, and I don't smoke. Unless they've all been shutdown recently, I'm quite sure the reason is that you're not allowed to smoke and sell alcohol in the same place, rather than a ban on places permitting smoking.

Also, I am very much in favor of enforcing the 3 (5?) meter no-smoking rule around entrances, and a ban on smoking while driving. Preferably enforcing littering laws against people discarding cigarette butts on the street/sidewalk would also be enforced, but that's way down the list of things things to do of course.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Until our streets have fully militarized cops beating the poo poo out of people throwing their butts on the sidewalk or our their car window I don't think we've gone far enough.

Pick up that can butt

I wouldn't mind at least some degree of enforcement. Littering is lovely no matter what it is and it's dead simple to squeeze the cherry off a cigarette so it can be disposed of in a garbage can. Litter and fires aren't caused by smoking, they're caused by careless assholes who certainly deserve punishment.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PittTheElder posted:

I can think of at least two Shisha bars in the city, and I don't smoke. Unless they've all been shutdown recently, I'm quite sure the reason is that you're not allowed to smoke and sell alcohol in the same place, rather than a ban on places permitting smoking.

Also, I am very much in favor of enforcing the 3 (5?) meter no-smoking rule around entrances, and a ban on smoking while driving. Preferably enforcing littering laws against people discarding cigarette butts on the street/sidewalk would also be enforced, but that's way down the list of things things to do of course.

If you're talking about the two here in Vancouver, I believe they switched to using non-tobacco products, and they were definitely facing the possibility of being shut-down for quite some time.

PT6A posted:

I'm not happy about most provincial and federal laws, but the city has doubled down on stupidity. Particularly the restrictions on smoking outdoors away from buildings. I'm particularly concerned about any restrictions on smoking in one's own home or car, and I think it's a battle that's coming our way pretty soon.

I would hope the overall goal would be to discourage smoking entirely as an activity, given how unhealthy it is, at least with regards to commercially manufactured cigarettes.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

PittTheElder posted:

Shisha is allowed because the law specifically targets tobacco, and it's very hard to prove those lounges are providing tobacco instead of herbal smoking mixture (I'm not sure what they serve, but I have certain suspicions). It is not lawful for a cigar shop or lounge to allow smoking regardless of whether they serve liquor or not. The only "exceptions" are private clubs, because they are not open to the public.

The 5-metre halo is, I think, a little extreme, and would lead to situations where you can't smoke anywhere on a given city block. 3 metres is a fair compromise. Smoking while driving should be a matter of discretion. In the city, I agree it is unsafe, but on highways I don't think it poses a risk. People ditching their butts out the window should be fined, though.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
I think smoke shops should be allowed, it really doesn't make sense to me why they are banned.

More bars need to invest in smokers pens in the alley though. I hate walking down 17th through the crowds of smokers hanging out in front of every bar.

And as an extra gently caress you to smokers they should ditch the chits that let them go back in. You wanna smoke bad enough to leave the bar? Back of the loving line.

Is it true that they called it for Nenshi after 8 stations reported in?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Is it a prerequisite that all mayoral candidates be loving worthless? This iveson guy is a goddamn joke.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

JawKnee posted:

I would hope the overall goal would be to discourage smoking entirely as an activity, given how unhealthy it is, at least with regards to commercially manufactured cigarettes.

But we make a copious amount of tax money on said unhealthy activity. Sin taxes are a fantastic thing. You're never going to stop or even prevent people from harming themselves. So many people I know today just find cheaper alternatives to commercial cigarettes and if you banned them from smoking entirely you would create an illegal drug trade where the government gets no money from it now. I'd much prefer to just tax people and use some of that money to provide alternatives to smoking (last time I checked it was more expensive to buy smoking patches than cigarettes. That's illogical) instead of forcing them to buy illegally.

The fact we told war veterans they couldn't smoke in their own legion halls still bothers me. It's pretty much saying, "The freedom you fought for no longer applies. Stop smoking you might die at the healthy age of 81!"

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Twiin posted:

I worked on Linda's nomination campaign. I'll probably be involved in some form in the campaign proper, but Jennifer Hollett is going to be taking over most of the digital end of things that I was doing.
Wanna join the goon caucus?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

But we make a copious amount of tax money on said unhealthy activity.

More than it costs us, in fact.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Someone suggested to me this morning not to read Margaret Wente.

I did. I regret it.

I would like to give you the same advice, but at the same time, she should probably be called out and hopefully fired for stating rape is the fault of alcohol, not rapists.

Paper Mac
Mar 2, 2007

lives in a paper shack

PT6A posted:

Shisha is allowed because the law specifically targets tobacco, and it's very hard to prove those lounges are providing tobacco instead of herbal smoking mixture (I'm not sure what they serve, but I have certain suspicions).

It'd be about as hard as sending someone in and asking them for some mu'assel (the tobacco/molasses mixture one smokes in a hookah)- I suspect that mu'assel may simply be regulated as a different product, but none of the places I'm aware of are clandestine weed dens or whatever (I don't know why anyone would waste weed trying to smoke it in a hookah with a coal when there's a vapor lounge next door to every other shisha place anyway)

The NPC
Nov 21, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Someone suggested to me this morning not to read Margaret Wente.

I did. I regret it.

I would like to give you the same advice, but at the same time, she should probably be called out and hopefully fired for stating rape is the fault of alcohol, not rapists.

The article in question

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Margaret Wente is a despicable idiot, but it doesn't have anything to do with Canadian politics.

How about we talk about the National Post abandoning Stephen Harper, or outright accusing him of lying? The top quarter of their website is all Duffy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Kafka Esq. posted:

Margaret Wente is a despicable idiot, but it doesn't have anything to do with Canadian politics.

How about we talk about the National Post abandoning Stephen Harper, or outright accusing him of lying? The top quarter of their website is all Duffy.

My bad, I always consider this to be not just politics but also anything pertaining to Canadian stuff.

Where did they accuse him?

EDIT: "Well that was bizarre." http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/10/21/paul-calandra-harper-duffy-question-period_n_4138504.html

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 22, 2013

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Heh.

I wish. :(

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Whenever there's a total non-answer like that, the next questioner should just ask the same question verbatim.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Hahaha, well I'll be goddamned. It's springtime in the permanent campaign.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBDZg6LHdvs

Kafka Esq. fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 22, 2013

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Tom secretly loves doing impersonations of Liberals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SZiwBOF7mI&t=1790s

(29:50)

cougar cub
Jun 28, 2004

Albino Squirrel posted:

How is he ridiculously unqualified? He's spent several terms as city councillor and is basically the wonkiest city-politics nerd in Alberta.

He went straight from a student newspaper into politics. He literally has no career experience.

cougar cub fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Oct 22, 2013

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

cougar cub posted:

He went straight from a student newspaper into politics. He literally has no career experience.

You're making it out like he rolled right from his commencement to a Council seat, which isn't the case at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I don't like the term unqualified. Underqualified works much better. Unqualified should be left to lawyers and libertarians.

• Locked thread