Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
That's more than just chain maintenance. In the slow motion, there's a spot where the bottom of the chain has nearly reached the wheel rim, and it looks like the top is still engaged with the sprocket. :stare: I can't imagine how you'd get that much slack unless you just took the chain out of the package and mounted it without taking off any links.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Covert Ops Wizard posted:

Eh, I've heard the suspension and brakes are pretty crap.

I heard it's decent, but not superbike-level.

Still has the snatchy trademark Yamaha EFI, though.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Sagebrush posted:

That's more than just chain maintenance. In the slow motion, there's a spot where the bottom of the chain has nearly reached the wheel rim, and it looks like the top is still engaged with the sprocket. :stare: I can't imagine how you'd get that much slack unless you just took the chain out of the package and mounted it without taking off any links.

Can you see that much detail in the shadow?

I finally got my triumph on the road, no chain issues:

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

For those who don't read the race thread

Oh god I know that oh-poo poo-bird-panic duck.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

New rnickeymouse! Instructional video on chain maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZWjwHgveY

I hate that new flaming mountainside intro clip he's got on his vids.

This is pretty much why I try to err on the side of over-maintenance.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Oct 21, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

Oh god I know that oh-poo poo-bird-panic duck.
Yah me too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGkveiR41ko

nsaP posted:

Oh whoops this is the pic and video thread...

Well I'm sorting thru the more interesting pics of my ride but here was one of the destinations. Surprisingly I enjoyed other roads along the way more than the "Back". Maybe it was cause of the hype.

Trying to condense the video down too, the road is about 30 miles so I have like 45 minutes of video, 43 minutes of which is completely boring.

edit: Oh, and the overloaded beast

Finally got around to speeding this up, tho it runs for a bit in regular time near the beginning and end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh0s7j3lous

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGuNvDdi0MU

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

nsaP posted:

Yah me too
Me three.

Friend from work bought this new in 86.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Gullous posted:

Can you see that much detail in the shadow?

Yep.

The weirdest part is that the chain doesn't actually seem to have caused the highside. It's still dangling loose and dragging along the road like in the third image when he goes over. I think the guy just got freaked out and hosed up.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Sagebrush posted:

Yep.

The weirdest part is that the chain doesn't actually seem to have caused the highside. It's still dangling loose and dragging along the road like in the third image when he goes over. I think the guy just got freaked out and hosed up.

It sounded like it was going "clatter clatter clatter" against the rear sprocket, and I bet some of it got pulled up sideways and locked the rear up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Safety Dance posted:

It sounded like it was going "clatter clatter clatter" against the rear sprocket, and I bet some of it got pulled up sideways and locked the rear up.

Yeah. I've been in this situation before and the chain can catch and then jump loose.

Protip: Buy x-ring chains, old school roller chains are poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

Yeah. I've been in this situation before and the chain can catch and then jump loose.

Protip: Buy x-ring chains, old school roller chains are poo poo.

By old-school do you mean o-ring? Or what? Not that I have a choice over here, you can't get anything but x-ring in the bigger sizes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

By old-school do you mean o-ring? Or what? Not that I have a choice over here, you can't get anything but x-ring in the bigger sizes.

No, like - pre oring chain. Just rollers. No factory lube held in by orings, no loving nothing. If you don't lube them every 100 miles, you're adjust it all the goddamn time, and then it tight spots, and you have to replace it.

Or in my case, you let it go cause it's a 75 CB200 (the one in my avatar) and you nearly highside it when the chain jumps the sprocket, jams in between the swingarm and the wheel, and then suddenly breaks free.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Drivebelt supremacy :smug:

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

The procedure for non oring chains is removal via master link clip, cleaning in kerosene, being dried, then dipping in a thick lubricant or wax. To avoid downtime, always have a few chains hanging up on the wall for installation.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm adding this to my extremely long list of things that prove there was no such thing as The Good Old Days(tm) and that the whole idea that bikes/cars were somehow better back in the day is a tremendous crock of poo poo.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I don't think that's a maintenance issue, I think that's a fuckwit issue. Loosening the chain makes it easier to get the back end out under power, and utter loving idiots sometimes suggest it as a cure for understeer. Given the way he tightened up and understeered on the corner before I bet he thinks there's a problem with his bike's handling so he's "fixed" it that way.

Also IIRC when your chain is that slack it's far more likely to slip off at the front sprocket, which would cause the back end to lock up and slide while still giving the appearance that the chain is still on the back sprocket.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Honda Collection Hall. Cool poo poo.
https://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.527145,140.226565&cbll=36.527145,140.226565&layer=c&cbp=1,121.45,,0,0&hl=en

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think that's a maintenance issue, I think that's a fuckwit issue. Loosening the chain makes it easier to get the back end out under power, and utter loving idiots sometimes suggest it as a cure for understeer. Given the way he tightened up and understeered on the corner before I bet he thinks there's a problem with his bike's handling so he's "fixed" it that way.

Also IIRC when your chain is that slack it's far more likely to slip off at the front sprocket, which would cause the back end to lock up and slide while still giving the appearance that the chain is still on the back sprocket.

I have never heard of people using chain slack to set up oversteer, jesus.

And it's far more likely to slip off the back because the front of the chain doesn't have a lot of vertical or horizontal play whereas the back does.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
I haven't been able to find any information on this so I'm not sure if it's a clever photoshop or not:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

carrion kit posted:

I haven't been able to find any information on this so I'm not sure if it's a clever photoshop or not:

I hope not

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
I wonder if they're trained to do high-speed endo tear-gas release.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Probably one of those drug-dealer seized assets they show off at elementary schools so kids know it's cool not to do drugs.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

thylacine posted:

Probably one of those drug-dealer seized assets they show off at elementary schools so kids know it's cool not to do drugs.

"If you deal drugs, you could end up with this superbike, which is totally, totally not cool.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Well, that is certainly some front fork travel

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Sagebrush posted:

I can see that, but I'm not sure he even freaked out. With the engine engaged to the rear wheel, I pretty much can't lock the rear. If I clutch in and stand on it, it will lock. Maybe something like: not engine braking -> compensate by standing on the rear brake -> lock it up oops.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Sort of NWS if your boss is literally standing over your shoulder reading your screen.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Saw a great one at the shop recently. Modern Vespa scooter came in and the owner wanted to replace a lot of the cooling system because it had overheating issues and he had never heard the fan come on since he bought it new. And he wasn't too concerned about cost apparently. So among the things we went to replace was the thermo electrical fan switch. Got the floorboards off and this is what we saw.

Yep, they never hooked it up at the factory. Also there was a spare engine mount nut rattling around in there. Luckily it was a spare, none of the mount bolts was missing one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yep, they never hooked it up at the factory.

:italy:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

LifeSizePotato posted:

Sort of NWS if your boss is literally standing over your shoulder reading your screen.

Hahaha required motorcycle reading right here

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

LifeSizePotato posted:

Hmmmmm, also sort of NSFW:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Thanks Obama for what...? American political poo poo is bizarre; I can't imagine anyone in NZ sticking "Thanks John Key!" on the side of their bike.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

Thanks Obama for what...? American political poo poo is bizarre; I can't imagine anyone in NZ sticking "Thanks John Key!" on the side of their bike.

http://thanks-obama.tumblr.com/

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Think less political, more meme. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thanks-obama

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

carrion kit posted:

Community outreach drag bike?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Community outreach drag bike?

But it's a 600F4i. :downs:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The swing arm says 'tear gas'. I don't know what to think of that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
My old bike gets around.

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

Slavvy posted:

The swing arm says 'tear gas'. I don't know what to think of that.

Typical militarized police mentality in the US v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

clutchpuck posted:

With the engine engaged to the rear wheel, I pretty much can't lock the rear. If I clutch in and stand on it, it will lock.

Engine engaged or not, it should be pretty easy to lock your rear should it not?