Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
How do you guys understand spirit-speak? I can't wrap my head around it.

EDIT: Also, Zach's twitter avatar. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Azran posted:

How do you guys understand spirit-speak? I can't wrap my head around it.

EDIT: Also, Zach's twitter avatar. :stare:
The curves and dots are formed from the outlines of regular letters, so to get back the regular letters you have to look at the whitespace between the curves and dots.

That and turn your head to the right and read bottom to top.

Heavy Zed
Mar 23, 2013

Is there anything here I can swing from?
It's sideways, running top to bottom and then left to right. The letters themselves are just negatives. Try imagining white block letters between the markings.

Edit: ^^^ Or what they said.

It kinda reminds me of a thing my parents kept on their mantle when I was a kid that for years I never understood. They never explained it to me, they were just like "It says Jesus". Before I could read I just took their word for it. Then I started reading and decided it must be in another language. I thought, The bible was originally in another language, right? And then finally one day it just clicked.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Whitenoise Poster posted:

I think I read somewhere that Zack has said in twitter or something his name is Forge.

Another twitter confirmation. She is indeed one dude. https://mobile.twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/390278888447696897

Always Remember to stalk your favorite comic makers twitters and tumblrs for sweet spoilers.

Anyway shadow clone bunny is definitely gonna end up either Max's replacement tool when scrapdragon leaves him or his SECOND spirit if it doesn't leave him.

Well, there isn't anything saying people can't have multiple Tools. But I imagine you'd have to get the spirits to cooperate, since they both want to slurp up the wielder's spectral energy to resurrect themselves. And from the way Bunny Spirit talked, becoming a Tool is for some reason something it doesn't want to do, if the unethical way he mentioned is what I'm thinking it is.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

I must be blind and/or stupid where is this being referenced on this page? :psyduck:

edit: Looking at the comments, apparently it's the "emo fresh so cool wow sweet breeze" during the guy's dramatic pose. I don't think that's a reference you guys

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I want to see Emofresh Forge (if that's indeed his name) smith something just to confirm or infirm my theory that he uses his own head as an anvil (since it is an anvil).

SkinCrawling
Oct 9, 2012

It's not a reference, you silly teens.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

For some reason, this makes it even funnier.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I honestly though it was just Zack doing what he's done for all of Paranatural; make fun of painfully anime scenes where someone says something like "I have... debts to pay."

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible for someone to be possessed without anyone's knowledge?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Here's a more visual reference for people still having trouble with the code.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

wiegieman posted:

I honestly though it was just Zack doing what he's done for all of Paranatural; make fun of painfully anime scenes where someone says something like "I have... debts to pay."

This is exactly how I interpreted it. It's not a reference because the stupid Shiba whatever is meant to represent someones inner monologue.

This is an external monologue actively mocking Forge.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Is it possible for someone to be possessed without anyone's knowledge?

Given that possession seems to always involve mild-to-severe degrees of physical mutation, it's not likely. Isaac got off easy.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Oxxidation posted:

Given that possession seems to always involve mild-to-severe degrees of physical mutation, it's not likely. Isaac got off easy.

I think it's meant to get more pronounced the further along you are in your possession? Issac is probably still in the early stages, his storm god spirit is probably a badass and would need a long time to recover.

Lets see if he gets some sweet eyebrows in future.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Slime posted:

Well, there isn't anything saying people can't have multiple Tools. But I imagine you'd have to get the spirits to cooperate, since they both want to slurp up the wielder's spectral energy to resurrect themselves. And from the way Bunny Spirit talked, becoming a Tool is for some reason something it doesn't want to do, if the unethical way he mentioned is what I'm thinking it is.

Being a Tool means that you have very limited agency. Magnet Snake is able to take over Max every now and then but we haven't seen that happening with other Spectrals. Plus the bat was sitting in a supply closet for who knows how long.

On top of that the Spectral that finally stumbles on you and has the corresponding aura is a completely unknown factor. Imagine being the spirit that gets stuck with someone like Johnny.

So you have a spirit looking at:

- No ability to move around on its own
- Waiting around until a psychic with the right color shows up
- Dealing with what you get in a Spectral

It works out for little spirits like Eightfold who seem to become more powerful with a big well of energy like Isabel around. But for big storm gods and apocalyptic world snakes it's got to be a huge pain in the rear end piggybacking on some 10-year old.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Razorwired posted:

Being a Tool means that you have very limited agency. Magnet Snake is able to take over Max every now and then but we haven't seen that happening with other Spectrals. Plus the bat was sitting in a supply closet for who knows how long.

On top of that the Spectral that finally stumbles on you and has the corresponding aura is a completely unknown factor. Imagine being the spirit that gets stuck with someone like Johnny.

So you have a spirit looking at:

- No ability to move around on its own
- Waiting around until a psychic with the right color shows up
- Dealing with what you get in a Spectral

It works out for little spirits like Eightfold who seem to become more powerful with a big well of energy like Isabel around. But for big storm gods and apocalyptic world snakes it's got to be a huge pain in the rear end piggybacking on some 10-year old.

I'm really more wondering why it was described as unethical rather than as just being a huge pain in the rear end.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slime posted:

I'm really more wondering why it was described as unethical rather than as just being a huge pain in the rear end.
I think possession is the unethical one.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
My theory is spender has a tool that allows him to manipulate light and is possesed by a spirit that allows him to manipulate darkness

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Aw, he got rid of the Emo Fresh. There is so much blank space in that panel now.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

That's a bit of a shame, but the page is probably better off not being dominated by one admittedly very funny panel.

Now the comment thread is a bit of a non sequitur though.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Forge will still always be Emo Fresh in my mind.

He'll never live it down.

Runa fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 24, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Forge will still always be Emo Fresh in my mind.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Leper Residue posted:

Aw, he got rid of the Emo Fresh. There is so much blank space in that panel now.
Whyyy :negative:

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

According to Twitter that scene was supposed to be a little more serious and he decided he wanted to cut back on the self-deprecation. I can kind of see where he's coming from, honestly; Emo Fresh was funny but the comic's done the same joke with essentially the same punchline a number of times already and I could see it getting old if he didn't start curtailing it a bit now.

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
http://paranatural.net/chapter-4-page-48/

This new page is weird.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Correction: this new page is amazing :allears:

Fake edit: oh poo poo that eagle is real :haw:

Fake edit^2: well, not real real but sort of real you know what I mean

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I was getting all :goonsay: in my head about the past tense of drag, and then the next panel put me in my place.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tollymain posted:

Correction: this new page is amazing :allears:

Fake edit: oh poo poo that eagle is real :haw:

Fake edit^2: well, not real real but sort of real you know what I mean

It's the Spirit of America!

Nothing could be more real.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm just wondering where Isabel and Ed went. Although the return of Johnny is always welcome :allears:

e: just noticed the little blue wispy bits, the Spirit of America is literally a spirit.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

quote:

The Spirit of America isn’t mad at you, it’s just disappointed.

I wish there were an :allears: that just kept getting bigger.

I'm kind of wondering where Johnny is going with this, though. He's at least going to blackmail Max before telling Suzy, right? :ohdear:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
See, for other normal comics made by mere mortals, the snapping-fingers-approach-from-darkness would be the climax of a page, but, for Paranatural, that's only the starting point and it only gets better from there.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Roger Explosion posted:

See, for other normal comics made by mere mortals, the snapping-fingers-approach-from-darkness would be the climax of a page, but, for Paranatural, that's only the starting point and it only gets better from there.

I wanna be Zack when I grow up

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

So... the non-tool spectral powers aren't able to affect non-spirit objects, right?

Wondering if superpowers will be able to help Max out here. Probably not. At least Isaac'll be fine. Assuming they're sensible enough to do things in a slightly subtle way.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 25, 2013

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Johnny continues to be the greatest bully ever

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Congrats Zach, the 'Oh NO!' Panel is officially the most anime thing you've drawn! Seriously, you Tite Kubo'd the poo poo out of that panel. A Class Anime work!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Something about the art on this page is bugging me. It's...off?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

theshim posted:

Something about the art on this page is bugging me. It's...off?

It's OFF THE CHARTS AMAZING

I can't decide which face is the best in this update so I'll just go with every single one. (It's panel 7 johnny actually)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gangs snap their fingers when getting ready for a fight, right? Everybody knows that.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Was unaware that Johnny was Gumby's son. I will keep this in mind in the future. Also, I WISH my bullies had the flair of Johnny.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
All Points Bully-Ton

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

MikeJF posted:

So... the non-tool spectral powers aren't able to affect non-spirit objects, right?

Wondering if superpowers will be able to help Max out here. Probably not. At least Isaac'll be fine. Assuming they're sensible enough to do things in a slightly subtle way.

He has a magnabat which he can use on metal objects, so he's got that going for him. But I'd count on Max needing plenty of Doctopi.