Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Croccers posted:

:v:
I still think they're shifting dates because of GTAV, specifically GTA:O since they've mostly sorted out servercloud issues and should start releasing more content soon.

I think it could be a case where they're unimpressed with their Assassin's Creed 4 pre-orders. Releasing two open world games around the same time to compete with each other at Christmas time means one game's sales suffers for people who use the logic of buying the one they are most interested in first and then grabbing the other when it comes down in price or goes on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Naky posted:

I think it could be a case where they're unimpressed with their Assassin's Creed 4 pre-orders. Releasing two open world games around the same time to compete with each other at Christmas time means one game's sales suffers for people who use the logic of buying the one they are most interested in first and then grabbing the other when it comes down in price or goes on sale.

No, they adjusted their forecasts down after the delays. It's not that.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Aphrodite posted:

No, they adjusted their forecasts down after the delays. It's not that.

Hmmm I suppose. Though I also suppose it would make for a nice 'surprise' if they exceed those adjustments with increased sale numbers from AC4, but then I don't know if those adjustments included an assumed rise in AC4 sales either.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

FateoMcSkippy posted:

Just got the email from Amazon saying my Watch_Dogs bundle has been changed to a normal gameless launch edition and the price for my preorder dropped to $399.

Same, but hey, at least we still get launch PS4s. :hfive:

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

keyframe posted:

Yea I am fine with the delay if it means we will get a much more polished game at the end.

Yeah like when GTA online was delayed for 3 weeks and still didn't come out as expected. worked out great!

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx

yourafagpleasedie posted:

Yeah like when GTA online was delayed for 3 weeks and still didn't come out as expected. worked out great!

Yeah that Bioshock game turned out pretty bad after it was delayed.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hail to the king, baby! (Insert Duke's Bros gang tag here)

edit: There really could be an endless back and forth of "this game was good after it was delayed!" to "this game was bad after it was delayed!". The only way to know if Watch Dogs will be the former or the latter is to wait until it comes out for real, unfortunately.

yourafagpleasedie
Jun 27, 2013

by zen death robot

Equilibrium posted:

Yeah that Bioshock game turned out pretty bad after it was delayed.

It would have got the same cocksucking it got regardless, and we all know that. Delaying games at the last second is the new 'its a beta guys'

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Croccers posted:

:v:
I still think they're shifting dates because of GTAV, specifically GTA:O since they've mostly sorted out servercloud issues and should start releasing more content soon.

So is it 2014 or November 21st? I'm confused

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

It would have got the same cocksucking it got regardless, and we all know that. Delaying games at the last second is the new 'its a beta guys'

Wow, you are precious. :allears:

Don't stop posting, by all means.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GTA Online wasn't delayed. The first announcement said it would launch 2 weeks later.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Boing posted:

So is it 2014 or November 21st? I'm confused
That's the old ad for Watch Dogs before they announced the delay, it's coming out in 2014.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

CJacobs posted:

edit: There really could be an endless back and forth of "this game was good after it was delayed!" to "this game was bad after it was delayed!". The only way to know if Watch Dogs will be the former or the latter is to wait until it comes out for real, unfortunately.

They've been keeping a lot of Watch Dogs under wraps, it's very mysterious.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Amazon is trying their best.

Amazon.com posted:

Thank you for purchasing from Amazon.com.

Your recent order XXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXXXX entitles you to a promotional credit which we have added to your account. This credit can be applied to your next qualifying purchase.

Promotion details:
Additional information on this offer can be found here.

Dear Amazon Customer,

To make up for the inconvenience of changing your PlayStation 4 Watch Dogs Bundle pre-order to a PlayStation 4 Launch Edition, we've added a $10 promotional credit to your account.

This promotional credit is redeemable for Battlefield 4, Madden NFL 25, and FIFA 14, as well as other select PlayStation 4 games when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. To see all qualifying items, click on the "here" link above.

Your available promotional balance will be automatically deducted from your next eligible purchase. The promotion is valid for a limited time only. Amazon reserves the right to cancel it at any time. Offer may be redeemed once per customer. If you do not pre-order the qualifying item when the promotion is in effect, or you cancel your pre-order, the promotion will not apply. Offer expires on 11/22/2013. The promotion applies only to items sold and shipped by Amazon.com. Shipping and handling charges apply to all products.

Thank you for pre-ordering with Amazon.com.

The Amazon Video Games Team

The promotional credit must be used by November 22, 2013. This offer is subject to Terms and Conditions.

Thanks again for shopping with us.

Amazon.com
Earth's Biggest Selection

7 games show up at the "here" link:

• Killzone: Shadow Fall
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Battlefield 4
  • NBA 2K14
  • FIFA 14
  • Knack
  • Madden NFL 25

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
All of those games feel like a kick to the nads for me.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

No Assassin's Creed 4 is weird.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

I wonder if they're going to keep dev going on current gen versions.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
keys into a river of molten
lava, let 'em go, because
man, they're gone.

Aphrodite posted:

No Assassin's Creed 4 is weird.

I wouldn't be surprised if Amazon decided to not include a Ubisoft title in the list of qualifying games due to the fact that Ubisoft have caused a whole load more work for Amazon by delaying Watch_Dogs.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Has there been any NEW news since they pushed back the date? Every few weeks I'll search and see a current-date "story" that's just rehashed old press releases and trailers on a buzzfeed style throwaway site, but nothing real since mid-October ( http://blog.ubi.com/category/watch-dogs/ ).

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
People were already starting to get pre release fatigue from all the promotional stuff coming out before the delay. I'm guessing they have gone for a media blackout until closer to release, where they will start releasing more details to get people interested again.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Friendly Fire posted:

People were already starting to get pre release fatigue from all the promotional stuff coming out before the delay. I'm guessing they have gone for a media blackout until closer to release, where they will start releasing more details to get people interested again.

Hell they were on a media blackout for a while when they first announced that the game existed. I really hope they're taking the time to add polish and not just sitting on their thumbs.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

The Aphasian posted:

Has there been any NEW news since they pushed back the date? Every few weeks I'll search and see a current-date "story" that's just rehashed old press releases and trailers on a buzzfeed style throwaway site, but nothing real since mid-October ( http://blog.ubi.com/category/watch-dogs/ ).
There was a couple of new screenshots but nothing to write home about.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Speedball posted:

Hell they were on a media blackout for a while when they first announced that the game existed. I really hope they're taking the time to add polish and not just sitting on their thumbs.
I still think it was because they were afraid of clashing against GTA5 and getting forgotten under the Xmas rush :colbert:

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
man, they're gone.

Croccers posted:

I still think it was because they were afraid of clashing against GTA5 and getting forgotten under the Xmas rush :colbert:

Assassins Creed IV has been a huge seller which is pretty good considering many people were going to give it a miss, Ubisoft have done pretty well with stalling the Watch_Dogs release so far even if unintentional. But then again Sony delayed Drive Club too at the last minute due to it supposedly needing more work and I don't think there was much of a marketing reason to delay it so maybe Watch Dogs was rally just in need of more work.

I'll be honest though, I was devastated when Watch Dogs was delayed and begrudgingly bought AC4 instead even though I didn't want it and it's been the best decision I have made in a long time.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

AC4 also has a few Watch Dogs references in it, so it's looking like they may exist in the same universe.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
I think it's a combination of not wanting to compete with another flagship title in ACIV and a realization that the game probably could use more work. Competing against yourself in the holiday season isn't always the best idea, especially with a new franchise. Wiser to push it back and let it stand on its own, especially if that gives you time to clean up the game a bit. In the meantime, it does allow them to work on things like more (or expanded) DLC and such to make up some ground for lost holiday sales.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
If nothing else, I hope it proof-of-concepts their ability to make an AC game set in a modern city.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The only thing I've heard recently was some rumor that the game might be further delayed to Fall, but now I'm not sure where. Maybe Giantbomb.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Equilibrium posted:

The only thing I've heard recently was some rumor that the game might be further delayed to Fall, but now I'm not sure where. Maybe Giantbomb.

It was on the end of year/emails Bombcast, and I think it was just speculation based on a mixture of official comments, the media coverage (or lack thereof), etc.

I actually bet it's right, though. I could see September.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Fuzz posted:

AC4 also has a few Watch Dogs references in it, so it's looking like they may exist in the same universe.
Aren't they both Ubi titles? With such a ridiculously convoluted universe, cross-title nods to co-dev teams on other projects under the same publishing umbrella would seem de rigeur, au lieu de exceptionale.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

quote:

Bayou_Billy41: First will there be any of Juno in WatchDogs? From what I know of Juno this situation would make sense.
No, they are their own game un the Ubiverse. We like to put easter eggs like this in our games, but they are not literally connected.
From the q&a with the head writer of AC4.
https://acinitiates.com/forum/discussion/3904/page/24

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

coyo7e posted:

Aren't they both Ubi titles? With such a ridiculously convoluted universe, cross-title nods to co-dev teams on other projects under the same publishing umbrella would seem de rigeur, au lieu de exceptionale.

What the gently caress.

Obsidius
Nov 18, 2009

If you ever drop your
man, they're gone.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It was on the end of year/emails Bombcast, and I think it was just speculation based on a mixture of official comments, the media coverage (or lack thereof), etc.

I actually bet it's right, though. I could see September.

I don't see anything to suggest that it's going to be further delayed, lack of marketing seems reasonable enough when Ubisofts focus currently is to squeeze out as many AC4 sales as possible and to push the DLC during the new console release period and Christmas period. Bear in mind that we have seen little, if anything in regards to Drive Club and The Crew from what I know and both of those titles were delayed at the same time as Watch Dogs. If Ubisoft were struggling with current deadlines I would bet it would be with The Division as that game seems to be their first truly next-gen title.

Obsidius fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Dec 24, 2013

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Hopefully they can get Watch Dog's act together by early 2014 as I almost forgot this game existed until today. You keep a game in media black out long enough you'll not only have competition from natural contenders, but also games that have been kept in the public eye longer than your New IP has.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What the gently caress.

It's French because they're a Montreal company. :ssh:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

This was one of the first truly next-gen games announced, and made a massive impact at E3 2011. However, launching almost two years later has removed a lot of the wind from its sails.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Spring '14 and polished would be the best case at this point, Fall and not needing more than a day 1 patch would be expected, but the radio silence makes me fear that this will be like the 360's/Kinect's Project Milo.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I really hope this thing doesn't suck when it comes out. I don't want my drat near year old preorder to feel wasted.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What the gently caress.
mais ouis la boubuo du frommage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted: