Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

I turned on my heater for the first time this season and everything smells a bit burny. Is that normal for a first turning on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

I turned on my heater for the first time this season and everything smells a bit burny. Is that normal for a first turning on?

Probably just dust.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Baron Porkface posted:

Yes, you will notice this with an unused toaster or oven burner as well. Disclaimer: Check to make sure some paper or something didn't fall into your heater.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

Baron Porkface posted:

Also change your filter.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Spermando posted:

I need to replace my dehumidifier's plug and I want to make sure I use the right type. The specifications say "voltage 220-240V ~50hz, wattage 380W, nominal current 1.8A". The stores here have 10A, 16A, and 25A plugs. Which one should I buy?

You can figure it out by looking at the specs, nominal current is 1.8A, which is derived from dividing the wattage into the voltage 380/220 = 1.7...

The rating on the plug is the maximum amperage it can handle, so a 10 amp plug can handle up to 10 amps. Since your dehumidifier will be pulling around 1.8 amps, the 10 amp plug is more than sufficient.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Is that really all that matters when you replace a plug for something, that the amperage on the plug matches or is greater than the amperage the device requires?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

Is that really all that matters when you replace a plug for something, that the amperage on the plug matches or is greater than the amperage the device requires?

Well you want to ensure the tip polarity is correct for devices with tip polarity, you want to make sure the voltage is the same or if variable includes the correct voltage as an option, and then that the amperage is at least as much as the original or more (but try to avoid those that go massively over amperage, because those end up more likey to waste power. e.g. if your original device needed 200 milliamp and your replacement choices are 500 milliamp and 2000 milliamp, go with the 500).

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

FLX posted:

Is there an online service that can send me an e-mail notification if the weather at a certain location is forecast to be good? I only find bad weather alerts, but I want to do some outdoor sports during the winter when it's above a certain temperature.

If This Then That might be able to do what you want.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer

Tiggum posted:

Yes. See a doctor.
You should seriously consider the financial implications of seeing a doctor if you're in the U.S. and do not have medical insurance.

Most ear infections go away after a handful of days by themselves.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Thanatosian posted:

You should seriously consider the financial implications of seeing a doctor if you're in the U.S. and do not have medical insurance.

Ehhh... I know a few people with burst ear drums who would beg to differ. Ear infections are not something to mess with if you enjoy hearing things – they can go from being a minor annoyance to a Big loving Deal really quickly.

OP, go to a doctor if you're worried or are in a significant amount of pain. Seriously.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Install Windows posted:

Well you want to ensure the tip polarity is correct for devices with tip polarity, you want to make sure the voltage is the same or if variable includes the correct voltage as an option, and then that the amperage is at least as much as the original or more (but try to avoid those that go massively over amperage, because those end up more likey to waste power. e.g. if your original device needed 200 milliamp and your replacement choices are 500 milliamp and 2000 milliamp, go with the 500).

Spermando didn't specify that he was talking about needing a power supply, he just said plug so I was assuming he was referring to a standard AC plug and the amperage was the max rating and/or if there was a built in breaker, that's where it would trip.

If he was needing a convertible power supply with a rectifier, the voltage would've been significantly lower (in the 12-18v range). In that circumstance, yes, tip polarity and voltage matches are very important.

But for his specific situation, yes, that's all you need to know.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Or a $60 visit to a minute clinic will get you some antibiotics for $30. Not everything is retardedly expensive.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Gravity Pike posted:

If This Then That might be able to do what you want.

This is awesome! Thanks :)

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

VagueRant posted:

How do you stab someone in the heart? It seems like the breastbone would get in the way, maybe the ribs too. Would you have to get a very particular angle on it?

I probably should've prefaced this by clarifying that I am not a psychopath and this question is purely a hypothetical inspired by movies and books and such. I've just been reading/watching a lot of Game of Thrones lately.

It's usually visual shorthand for a mercy kill in fiction, but is a blade in the heart the quickest and most painless way to do that? What happens on the biological level? (Same question re: bullets?)

This is from last page, and I'm no expert but here goes.

Yes, the ribs and breastbone are both there to protect your heart from outside trauma, but it's not a perfect system and there is certainly enough room between the ribs to slide a blade in-between and hit the heart. I'd imagine if you practice a little, or really study anatomy, figuring out where a gap is isn't very hard.

As to why it kills you, well, there are three basic systems that all tie together in a human body. The brain sends impulses to the heart and lungs (technically diaphragm). The heart beats, pumping blood all throughout the body, but for this example, to the lungs and brain specifically. The lungs process the gasses in the blood taking in oxygen and expelling CO2. The oxygenated blood goes to the brain so that it can keep sending the signals...and so on and so forth. This is a really simplified version of things, and there's more to it, but you really seemed to be asking for basics.

So, getting to your stabbed (or shot) in the heart question - if the heart is damaged it will either stop beating all together or beat erratically, neither one is good. Depending on where the damage is in the heart and how the blood is flowing, it could be pumping blood out of your body, or into your body cavity. Either way, blood is not getting where it needs to go, and eventually, your brain shuts down. Again, this is simplified, but I really don't know the details any better.

As to if it's the quickest and most painless way to kill someone, I doubt it. It's theatrics. You don't stab someone in the heart to kill them painlessly or even quickly. You do it to make a statement. Depending on what you are stabbed with, and where, it could be pretty quick; sever an aorta, probably going down fast. Nick a ventricle though, and I'd believe that could be a slow, panicky, painful death. The heart would continue beating, and blood flow could continue for a while, but your heart would start to strain harder and harder with each passing attempt as the blood isn't getting where it's needed.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Why do people I havnt talked to or thought about in like a decade show up in my top friends section of facebook chat?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In maritime parlance, a ship that is "becalmed" is unable to move due to lack of wind (applies to sailing ships only, of course). What is the related term for a ship that is unable to travel due to bad weather?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
In Windows 8, is there a hotkey by which I can force an application to shutdown without going through the Task Manager?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I was just reading this article on Cracked and something stuck out to me.

Kristi Harrison posted:

And everyone has someone to sit with. You have to have someone to sit with, because pop culture has taught us that only the weirdos sit by themselves, and half the time, even those guys have a friend or two. Even the kids who shoot up the school have someone to sit with. Sitting alone means you have NO ONE. Which isn't true, obviously. It just means your friends don't have that lunch period

Do American schools stagger the lunch break? Is that just something that happens in really big schools, or is it just a normal thing that most schools do? Going to school in Australia, even in a school of 2000 students, we all had our recess and lunch breaks at the same time. I can't see the advantage in having them at different times.

Baron Bifford posted:

In Windows 8, is there a hotkey by which I can force an application to shutdown without going through the Task Manager?

Alt-F4. If it's frozen then that might not work though, and I think some programs ignore it, but it's the standard shortcut for "quit program".

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Why does my tea turn opaque if I leave the tea bag in for too long?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Tiggum posted:

Do American schools stagger the lunch break? Is that just something that happens in really big schools, or is it just a normal thing that most schools do? Going to school in Australia, even in a school of 2000 students, we all had our recess and lunch breaks at the same time. I can't see the advantage in having them at different times.

My high school had about 2000 students, but the lunchroom could only hold a few hundred, so we had three lunch periods staggered by 30 minutes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

My high school had about 2000 students, but the lunchroom could only hold a few hundred, so we had three lunch periods staggered by 30 minutes.

You had to spend your lunch break inside?

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Outdoor recess is not typically a thing in American schools past elementary school, though quite a few middle schools still allow it. I've never heard of it in high school.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

John McCain posted:

Outdoor recess is not typically a thing in American schools past elementary school, though quite a few middle schools still allow it. I've never heard of it in high school.

So, you can't go out to play cricket (basketball I guess?) or whatever (or just find your own little area to spend time with your friends away from everyone else), you just have to sit inside at a table the whole time? What's the reasoning behind that?

The only thing that really changed as far as recess and lunch breaks went when I was at school was that after primary school (grade 6) they didn't force us to stay inside if it was raining and after year 10 we were allowed to leave the school grounds if we wanted to.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

American schools seem weirdly restrictive about that sort of thing. I remember we did a teacher exchange sort of thing where we swapped art teachers with a school in Washington, D.C. and when ours came back she talked about how even she wasn't allowed to leave the grounds at lunch to go buy food or whatever. Just locked inside this great big building, half of which was buried so far inside the block there weren't even any windows or anything. She said it wasn't anywhere more dangerous than our fairly middle class school, just that it was so different that the idea of being able to leave was kind of new to the teachers there.

Being an art teacher, she also had several run-ins with the rubber/eraser thing.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

KATY PERRY posted:

Why does my tea turn opaque if I leave the tea bag in for too long?

It isn't specifically clear what you mean by 'opaque', or what kind of tea you're talking about, but if you are using hard water to brew regular black tea, the flavonoids present in tea are probably responsible for what you're talking about. Some flavonoids will bind to the calcium bicarbonate present in water, which will lead to your tea going cloudy and a oily-film forming on the surface.

You can see the science of this by putting lemon juice in your black tea. The colour will lighten and the film will disappear because lemon juice has dissociated hydrogen ions that react with the calcium bicarbonate preferentially. Dropping some baking soda in your tea will show you the opposite effect, making it go darker (and taste awful).

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Tiggum posted:

So, you can't go out to play cricket (basketball I guess?) or whatever (or just find your own little area to spend time with your friends away from everyone else), you just have to sit inside at a table the whole time? What's the reasoning behind that?

The only thing that really changed as far as recess and lunch breaks went when I was at school was that after primary school (grade 6) they didn't force us to stay inside if it was raining and after year 10 we were allowed to leave the school grounds if we wanted to.

You are already sitting with your friends. In my high school, there was "senior privilege" that let you leave school during free periods (not just lunch) if you had good grades. But I was in high school before 9/11 and it was very easy and basically risk-free to just leave and return without official permission. I think it's probably more locked down these days.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
My school and the ones nearby all had "no leaving" policies way before 9/11 or Columbine or any other nonsense. And no one was mad, that's just how it was. This was generic middle class suburbia.

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
My Australian high school also had a no-leaving policy for all students.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Grimey Drawer
I was in high school in a relatively rural area of California in the late 90s, but there were about 2000 kids in my school and we were allowed to leave campus during lunch. And we all had the same lunch period.

Like much in America, it's probably something that varies regionally.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Lunches at our ~1200 student school were separated by grade. K-6 would filter in by grade every ten minutes. After that 7-9 all ate at once, followed by 10-12 a half hour later. (High school periods are on a strict by-the-bell schedule so there are only two opportunities near noon for lunch.)

Tiggum posted:

In K-6 we were given about 40 minutes to eat and then go outside to play. Grades after that aren't allowed to leave the building. Too much hookie/idiot teenagers in the street caused this rule to start being enforced. Your options are sit by your grade's locker area, go to the gym (basketballs were provided), go to the library, or sit in a lounge type area in the back of the school.

As someone who ate lunch alone for two years I want to punch Kristi Harrison in the mouth.

THRILLED 2B HERE
Jan 14, 2006
Just had a boiler serviced and I was informed the flue was installed "upside down" and is highly dangerous due to "stuff" falling back back. This apparantly necessitates an entirely new boiler and flue system and telling me I shouldn't be using the boiler at all and if I do it's at my own risk. The flue/boiler has been there 15 years and theres never been any issue with it. Is this a load of poo poo or is this a legitimate problem? Any help would be appreciated, sounds like a bit of a scam but then again I know nothing about flue sytems, I just assumed it was a pipe, how can it be upside down and why would that matter?

THRILLED 2B HERE fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 22, 2013

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

Just had a boiler serviced and I was informed the flue was installed "upside down" and is highly dangerous due to "stuff" falling back back. This apparantly necessitates an entirely new boiler and flue system and telling me I shouldn't be using the boiler at all and if I do it's at my own risk. The flue/boiler has been there 15 years and theres never been any issue with it. Is this a load of poo poo or is this a legitimate problem? Any help would be appreciated, sounds like a bit of a scam but then again I know nothing about flue sytems, I just assumed it was a pipe, how can it be upside down and why would that matter?

Is it a flexible flue liner that's (apparently) upside down? http://www.mybuilder.com/questions/v/7355/flue-liners-does-it-matter-which-way-up-they-are-installed

THRILLED 2B HERE
Jan 14, 2006

It's a metal pipe that goes into the wall then up to little chimney stack on the roof.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Thanatosian posted:

I was in high school in a relatively rural area of California in the late 90s, but there were about 2000 kids in my school and we were allowed to leave campus during lunch. And we all had the same lunch period.

Like much in America, it's probably something that varies regionally.

I went to a high school in the Midwest with ~1800 kids. At my high school, 9th graders had "closed lunch" which means they weren't supposed to leave campus during lunch (this wasn't really enforced). Everyone else had "open lunch" which meant you could do whatever. There were several awesome sandwich shops and taco shops that were super close to the school. Showing your school ID got you special deals and stuff.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Tulsa, Ok area. My freshman year was 92 and my HS had just banned smoking by students the year or so before I got there. There were still student smoking areas painted on the ground outside. They also recently banned kids leaving campus at lunch before I got there too.

edit: we still did get "recess" sort of. It was your time for lunch if you wanted to eat or you could play shooty-hoops in the gym or walk/run the track whatever. They had little food carts around the campus too, I can't remember if they sold lunches or just cookies and drinks and stuff.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 22, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiggum posted:

At my high school and middle school, there was gym classes outside using any of the recreational equipment pretty much constantly during the lunch periods (except when it was very hot, very cold, or storming when no one would want to be out anyway) and the only other thing outside the schools would be the parking lots. Further, lunch periods were about 30 minutes long, and the only things in walking distance within that time period to get there and back were some housing developments, the town hall, and an old folk's home. You had to report immediately to the study hall room or other class after lunch period was up, so there was no room to be late coming back. If you were over 17 you might have a provisional driver's license but there were only 200 parking spaces around the school and that was less then the amount of people in the senior class so parking was restricted to seniors who'd drawn the right numbers in a lottery system.

So there was a slim chance of doing something outside the school within your lunch period if you were in 12th grade and were lucky enough to have a parking spot and a car, of if you were one of the few people who actually biked to school (everyone more than a mile away from the school was entitled to ride the school bus, and there were very few homes too close in for that. most of the people from those just walked). Everyone else, there was nowhere to go, the complex of the high school, middle school, and upper elementary school was about 1/2 mile to 3/4 mile in every direction down the roads before you got to the first residences and hanging out in front of random people's houses wasn't exactly appealing.

The reason the school was so far from anywhere you'd want to go, at least in the amount of time you had, was that the middle and high schools were built on the same campus area in the least populated part of town, which used to be a farm before the land was donated to the township for education purposes in the 1950s. So essentially, there wasn't really a rule against going out, there was just nowhere to go out for a good 90% of the student body between the schools, and of the ones who might have had the ability there was rarely seen to be a point to waste gas or get tired biking just to get out to one of the main roads where there were stores and fast food.

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 22, 2013

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

THRILLED 2B HERE posted:

It's a metal pipe that goes into the wall then up to little chimney stack on the roof.

It's definitely possible to install a flue upside down. I've seen it done a number of times. I've also seen Rogue Traders, though, so it's also possible that there's nothing wrong with your flue and the fella's having you on a bit. Without images I can't tell you if your flue is upside down, so the only sensible advice I can give is to find a second opinion from someone you trust. Preferably a tradesman who's done work for someone you know well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
My high school had about 2000 students by the time I left. Lunch was really hosed up scheduling wise as you either had Lunch followed by 40min class, 40min Class followed by lunch, or the super messed up 20min class, lunch, 20min class. And even then, the cafeteria was stretched to the limit and people in last lunch often were still in line for food when the last bell rang. They finally wised up and added a second cafeteria on the other side of the school, which helped, probably.

As far as leaving went, if you were a junior or senior and you had permission, you could leave the school during lunch, but it could be revoked and you had to go through security to get out.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
My high school had 1600 and we couldn't leave at lunch but there was a big outside courtyard area we could go to during lunch. Also there were three lunches but they overlapped somehow. I really don't remember how exactly it worked but only the agriculture class people had third lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My high school was pretty bad, as my middle school. About 600 students.

If you were last in line, you probably had 5-8 minutes to eat in a 30-minute lunch period. We had three lunch times.