Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

unlawfulsoup posted:

I guess, but for $170 difference what would the larger iPad really offer then? Unless they have something else cooked up for it.
A noticeably larger screen that's much nicer to touch type on...that's the main reason I'm iffy about getting rid of my big iPad, and why I've been thinking about getting a notebook to go along with the iPad mini (that and I've needed a desktop for other reasons occasionally anyway).

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

But it's faster than the A6X. :confused: Who cares if it's an "iPhone processor" besides the tiny subset of users who even know what SoC is in their iPad.

The most likely outcome would be an A7X using a PowerVR G6630, which is ~50% faster than the G6430 in the A7. I guess we'll have to see what they do in a week or so. I'm still thinking that A7 (especially in the Mini) is entirely possible.

Also it's really odd that we don't have logic board leaks yet to put this all to rest.
Sounds like it's six "clusters" (whatever that means) vs four, so die space wise hopefully it wouldn't be as large a difference as previous chips. A5->A5X was two to four cores plus a larger die process for the whole SoC, A6->A6X went from three cores to four larger cores.

What would really be nice is more RAM for the iPad vs iPhone but I'm guessing that won't happen. They're using shared memory for the GPU, give it at least a little more memory to deal with the extra pixels! (4.3X if you're too lazy to do the math)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've had to set up a couple of iPads in my workplace and connected them to their Exchange accounts. The users have been telling me that now they can't access the internet (Safari etc.) on their home or hotel wifi, just while in the company's network.

Is that normal for iPads on Exchange? What needs to be changed to allow their iPads to access any network?

Edit: okay got more info, apparently it's more just a case of when Safari was launched, the users were asked for their iCloud password for some reason. I don't think it's anything to do with Exchange. We're trying to avoid letting these users know the iCloud password because they'd be the kind to buy apps and IAPs without even knowing about it.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Oct 17, 2013

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Did you set them up on some kind of proxy? Fwiw I've never had exchange issues like the one you're describing on any of my iPads.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

unlawfulsoup posted:

I guess, but for $170 difference what would the larger iPad really offer then? Unless they have something else cooked up for it.

A bigger screen? Screen size was (and is) the primary reason I stuck with a full size iPad. I'm not sure they need vastly different specs or features for the two model lines to be distinct.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
Yeah the larger screen size is perfect for using the virtual keyboard without too much fuss. I find I can't type comfortably with my mini and always needs to bring Bluetooth keyboard out with me.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I've always found the full-sized iPad to be too big to type on, but it probably depends on how you use your iPad. If you rest it on a surface and type on it like a normal keyboard, the full-size seems like it would be better. I don't think I've ever used mine that way though. The Mini seems like it would be much better for thumb typing, which is how I normally use mine.

Edit: and if you're using a bluetooth keyboard with your iPad, I imagine you must be using it in the first way I described.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I can thumb type with the full keyboard on my iPad, but the split keyboard is much nicer for that.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.

Diabolik900 posted:

I've always found the full-sized iPad to be too big to type on, but it probably depends on how you use your iPad. If you rest it on a surface and type on it like a normal keyboard, the full-size seems like it would be better. I don't think I've ever used mine that way though. The Mini seems like it would be much better for thumb typing, which is how I normally use mine.

Edit: and if you're using a bluetooth keyboard with your iPad, I imagine you must be using it in the first way I described.

Yeah flat horizontal on a table to type.

The iPad mini is much better for thumb typing though.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Splitting the keyboard in Portrait for the full size iPad makes thumb typing a snap.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, I use the split keyboard all the time. It definitely helps. The only issue at that point is the weight, which the new one is expected to improve.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm guessing you don't talk about jail breaking in here. And you can't really improve the functionality of the iPad (dosbox) or install a different operating system without jailbreaking?

The thing is I want to play games like fallout 2 and xcom (the older ones, I already have the new one). Games that are slow with lots of depth. I've played frozen synapse and while it was fun It was also incredibly shallow. I got rymdkapsel but while it looks like it has depth each game lasts a short amount of time.

Are there any slow paced strategy games on the iPad with actual length to them? A game is more satisfying when it takes time to build upon something. Like if frozen synapse had a metagame, a home base you improve and possibly defend, pre-equipment options with soldiers that have more than just guns as gear options.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Diabolik900 posted:

I think if they redid it like they did the iPhone and made it way lighter it might make typing easier. I don't do too much typing on mine though, its more for games/movies/tv

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jet Ready Go posted:

Yeah flat horizontal on a table to type.

The iPad mini is much better for thumb typing though.
Yeah I type on a table or bed or my lap or whatever relatively flat surface. I tend to do the same with the iPad mini but to less than ideal results, for whatever reason I don't thumb type unless it's the only option like when standing up or something. I think I'm probably faster touch typing on it even when accounting for errors.

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm guessing you don't talk about jail breaking in here. And you can't really improve the functionality of the iPad (dosbox) or install a different operating system without jailbreaking?

The thing is I want to play games like fallout 2 and xcom (the older ones, I already have the new one). Games that are slow with lots of depth. I've played frozen synapse and while it was fun It was also incredibly shallow. I got rymdkapsel but while it looks like it has depth each game lasts a short amount of time.

Are there any slow paced strategy games on the iPad with actual length to them? A game is more satisfying when it takes time to build upon something. Like if frozen synapse had a metagame, a home base you improve and possibly defend, pre-equipment options with soldiers that have more than just guns as gear options.
There's a separate thread for jailbreaking, although for dosbox (and other random stuff) there's occasionally been an app that sneaks the functionality through the App Store temporarily until Apple finds out and removes it. Otherwise for other platform gaming options on iPad there's remote computer control/viewing stuff that works to varying degrees, even for games.

As for games in general, ask in the iOS gaming thread, I think it's in the normal Games sub forum these days. I think there's stuff you might like but it's been a while since I've really followed iOS gaming closely. There was one big PC strategy game that came out a while ago, looking it up I think it's "Battle Academy", but I have no clue if builds upon itself like you want or if it's just set piece levels. Anyway ask in the gaming thread and you'll probably get some decent suggestions.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

NeoSeeker posted:

Sounds like you want XCOM. It's loving amazing on the iPad.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

He mentions in his post that he has the new XCOM already.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I would get it too if enemy within wasn't coming out in less than a month.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
I bought an iPad mini earlier this year exclusively for DJing with Traktor, which has for the most part been fantastic. Recently however the iOS 7 release caused serious audio issues with the app, and I basically got lucky because I procrastinated on updating my iPad to iOS 7 and didn't end up with a non-working DJ device. For now I'm waiting for either for a Traktor or iOS 7 upgrade that fixes things, which isn't the greatest situation but could definitely be worse.

The one other issue I've had is that there are quite a few games on the App store that require precise inputs, mostly platformers like the Metal Slug series and Mega Man. Is there any kind of existing or upcoming hardware solution that provides the iPad with precise analog controls for these kind of games?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Apple added official support for game controllers to iOS 7, but I don't think any hardware has been announced, and developers would have to update their games to take advantage of it, I would think. That said, there's a handful of controllers out there using some proprietary standards that some games support. You'd have to look up specific games and controllers, but at this point, I'd wait it out to see if more standard ones pop up.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'm sure I saw a few games, namely Bastion, add in controller support when iOS 7 hit. I'm waiting to see if other big games like the Final Fantasy titles etc get support before I go looking for hardware though.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I have an iPad mini and I recently updated to iOS 7. Looks nice, but now my resolutions are all hosed up. Pictures and images I once used as desktops are now 3x as big and look horrible. Whenever I go into the photo editor to try and 'scale and move' them, the images don't stay the size I pinch them to.

Am I missing a place where I can adjust the resolution so my backgrounds will not be so drat huge and ugly?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
They shouldn't be triple the size, but all wallpapers will be zoomed in a bit to allow for the parallax effect on your home and lock screens.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Question Mark Mound posted:

They shouldn't be triple the size, but all wallpapers will be zoomed in a bit to allow for the parallax effect on your home and lock screens.

Is the parallax effect when it looks like the icons are moving over the desktop? That's kind of cool, but a simple desktop I was using is now enormous and pixilated now :*(

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!
That is the parallax effect. You can turn it off Settings > General > ACCESSIBILITY > Reduce Motion.

I'm hoping 7.1 is announced today and hoping it will resolve issues like this.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Turning parallax off doesn't fix the wallpaper problem though. As you said, hopefully 7.1 comes out soon and fixes some of these issues.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Looks like we get a live stream today. Yay

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

echobucket posted:

Looks like we get a live stream today. Yay

http://www.apple.com/apple-events/october-2013/
Anyone know a live stream that works on Windows computers?
Please don't say http://www.ustream.tv/ltktv because I HATE those guys from the last live stream. They were talking nonstop and covering the stream with their stupid "follow me on twitter" jokes and cut-away shots.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

JazzFlight posted:

Anyone know a live stream that works on Windows computers?
Please don't say http://www.ustream.tv/ltktv because I HATE those guys from the last live stream. They were talking nonstop and covering the stream with their stupid "follow me on twitter" jokes and cut-away shots.

I have seen in the past where people dig into the HTML of the page and pull out the actual stream URL and then put it into VLC. I'm not sure how to figure that out until the stream starts though.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
What's the IRC channel for the event again? I always forget :saddowns:

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
As a by the way, Amazon's trade in price for a 16 GB iPad 4th Generation is $301 for "Like New" quality. The used prices on Amazon and eBay are going for around $340-375 after shipping and listing fees.

Amazon's trade-in price is going to drop hard in the next few hours. If you want to basically take a $40-50 "fee" for trading in and not deal with hassle of shipping it to someone random & feedback and all that crap, now is the time.

iPad 4 16 GB Wifi

FlashBangBob fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 22, 2013

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I sold my Ipad 4 16GB wifi that just had its screen smashed and replaced by a cheapo place in the mall. I was happy to be rid of it after the fit and finish went to hell. $320. I am hoping they release a retina mini w/ touchid so I can buy a replacement.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Event thread is open.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPad event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

:siren:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Oct 22, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

We're back. Retina Mini starting at $399. iPad Air at $499. Both using A7.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

The lack of Touch ID in either high-end iPad is a bit puzzling.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

smr posted:

The lack of Touch ID in either high-end iPad is a bit puzzling.
That's honestly the biggest surprise for me. I sort of expected A7 across the board when Anand pointed out that it has more GPU horsepower than A6X.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
There is not too much new with the iPad refresh, but all I really wanted was the retina display on the Mini and a spec boost, and we got both. My only concern is how difficult it will be to get one at launch without preorders.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Those previous gen ones are really terrible deals.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Did they say if the iPad mini was any lighter or thinner?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Kind of wish they went with 32GB minimums but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Keeping the iPad2 around at 399 is kind of offensive honestly