Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I forget whether this has been posted already (from Strange Maps):

It was published in the Panama City News Herald (Florida), on September 13, 1939. The caption reads:

quote:

All this talk about history-making battles waged, armies on the march and territory taken sounds big in the day's war news, but how small it is in American terms may be seen from the map above. Shifted to the American scene, European armies might fight their battles on the Maginot-Siegfried lines in the center of Illinois. This would put London about where Minneapolis is, Paris at Des Moines, Berlin at Toledo, Warsaw at Washington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

I forget whether this has been posted already (from Strange Maps):

It was published in the Panama City News Herald (Florida), on September 13, 1939. The caption reads:

Berlin in Ohio; an accurate map.

Its actually really like things like this even if its a very silly way to show the size of a conflict because I'm more intimately familiar with driving those distances than I am with Europe. Its also silly because Iowa has no Ivory Towers, only Corn Mazes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
What I really like about that map is that you can fit basically all of those points in Texas. :v:

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Mu Cow posted:

It seems to me that names in media actually follow current naming trends rather than precede. Emma had been steadily gaining in popularity since 1978.

It's kind of a feedback thing. I'd agree entirely except we're talking about most popular names, not just the top 10 popular names. The fact that Emma was getting more popular since the 70s basically increased the over-all likelihood that a popular media personality/character would share the name, which could very well be the tipping point between 'top 10 names' and 'most popular name'.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

computer parts posted:

What I really like about that map is that you can fit basically all of those points in Texas. :v:
America is huge. I've easily visited most provinces and major cities in my country, and yet some random Texan who has never left Texas has more travel miles under their belt.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DarkCrawler posted:

America is huge. I've easily visited most provinces and major cities in my country, and yet some random Texan who has never left Texas has more travel miles under their belt.

I literally spent 12 hours trying to get to New Mexico out of Texas (to be fair I didn't take the shortest route that went through Dallas but it was pretty much straight).

This is kind of a bad map but you can see exactly how big some American states are (Idaho is the size of Great Britain!):

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

DarkCrawler posted:

The closest European equivalent to the size of Texas is pre-dissolution Austria-Hungary. They've almost got the exact width and everything.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Wow! That's interesting. I'd never thought about it before, but apparently the distance from San Francisco to New York City is about the same distance as going from Lisbon to Jerusalem!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Barudak posted:

Berlin in Ohio; an accurate map.

Its actually really like things like this even if its a very silly way to show the size of a conflict because I'm more intimately familiar with driving those distances than I am with Europe. Its also silly because Iowa has no Ivory Towers, only Corn Mazes.

Yeah I like that map a lot. It's weird to see exactly how small the area was and how close those cities are, to my American point of view.

3peat
May 6, 2010

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you aren't jealous of how incredibly awesome Ibn Battuta's life was I feel bad for you. Dude lived the dream.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Wow! That's interesting. I'd never thought about it before, but apparently the distance from San Francisco to New York City is about the same distance as going from Lisbon to Jerusalem!

I plugged it into Google Maps, and taking a cross-country road trip from NY to SF would take about 42 hrs, spanning 2905 miles.

That's nearly identical to taking a road trip from Lisbon to Moscow (43 hrs, 2876 miles).

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

I plugged it into Google Maps, and taking a cross-country road trip from NY to SF would take about 42 hrs, spanning 2905 miles.

That's nearly identical to taking a road trip from Lisbon to Moscow (43 hrs, 2876 miles).

By a further comparison, it's a drive of 3,370 miles at 65 hours from Kashgar, Xinjiang, China to Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. Which is roughly comparable to traveling from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada to Miami, Florida, USA, at a distance of 3,433 miles, 50 hours driving.

China... is big. :stare:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Even better, the entire country has 1 time zone for the entire country. Communism at work!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

univbee posted:

Even better, the entire country has 1 time zone for the entire country. Communism at work!

Xinjiang and Tibet in practice use UTC+6 instead of UTC+8, so it's at best a minor nuisance. Silly New York Times created propaganda myths at work?

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

By a further comparison, it's a drive of 3,370 miles at 65 hours from Kashgar, Xinjiang, China to Guangzhou, Guangdong, China. Which is roughly comparable to traveling from Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada to Miami, Florida, USA, at a distance of 3,433 miles, 50 hours driving.

It's got nothing on Russia. From Sochi to Vladivostok is a 9977 km or 6199 mile drive taking 121 hours. That's more distance than driving from Montreal to Mexico City, and then from Mexico City back to Montreal, and then from Montreal to New York City (9878 km).

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 22, 2013

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

And now consider that driving from St Petersburg to Vladivostok would take you 115 hours at 9,546km (=5,931.6 miles). Further east the only city of notable size would be Petropavlosk-Kamchatsky (~200,000 people) which to this day is inaccessible by car, and this route doesn't even begin to touch the vastness that is Northern/Eastern Siberia and restrains itself to pretty much the best roads Russia has to offer.

Russia is infathomably big.

edit: haha, beaten

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ras Het posted:

Xinjiang and Tibet in practice use UTC+6 instead of UTC+8, so it's at best a minor nuisance. Silly New York Times created propaganda myths at work?

You mean the least populated (occupied?) areas of China use a different time zone.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

You mean the least populated (occupied?) areas of China use a different time zone.

There's also the fact that the developed parts of China, the only ones that really care that much what time it is, are all along the east coast. As you go inland you encounter mainly farming-oriented communities where work is more determined by where the sun is in the sky rather than the numbers showing on the clock.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

On the subject of massive trans-Eurasian travel, this fella has written a travelogue of a train journey from Lisbon to Vladivostok. It's fascinating stuff! I hope that someday, perhaps when I retire, I can take a magnificent journey like this.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

On the subject of massive trans-Eurasian travel, this fella has written a travelogue of a train journey from Lisbon to Vladivostok. It's fascinating stuff! I hope that someday, perhaps when I retire, I can take a magnificent journey like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_Rally

It's not quite Lisbon to Vladivostock, but dude, do it.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

computer parts posted:

I literally spent 12 hours trying to get to New Mexico out of Texas (to be fair I didn't take the shortest route that went through Dallas but it was pretty much straight).

This is kind of a bad map but you can see exactly how big some American states are (Idaho is the size of Great Britain!):

Aw, Kentucky and Austria look like long-lost siblings! :3:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty much beaten twice, but yeah, Russia's just loving terrifying.

That's 10 243km, or 123 hours. North-easter siberia has gently caress-all for roads, but there's the M56:

which looks like this:

so good luck with your road trip!

Ofaloaf posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongol_Rally

It's not quite Lisbon to Vladivostock, but dude, do it.

A friend of a friend is seriously into offroading and cheap cars (as am I on the latter part) so this is something we were thinking about. I'm a bit too chickenshit to jump into it, but slowly coming around. Having to sign up a year in advance is really sucks though, seeing as how you don't need a whole year to prepare your poo poo car.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah I like that map a lot. It's weird to see exactly how small the area was and how close those cities are, to my American point of view.

I grew up in the Great Lakes area and I printed this out to show my students here in France to give them a sense of the difference in scale.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Regarding comparisons for sense of scale. If there was ever a doubt that Russia is god drat enormous:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soviet Commubot posted:

I grew up in the Great Lakes area and I printed this out to show my students here in France to give them a sense of the difference in scale.

What do you teach SC? I suppose you're teaching in Brittany.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

mobby_6kl posted:

A friend of a friend is seriously into offroading and cheap cars (as am I on the latter part) so this is something we were thinking about. I'm a bit too chickenshit to jump into it, but slowly coming around. Having to sign up a year in advance is really sucks though, seeing as how you don't need a whole year to prepare your poo poo car.

loving do it. I did it last year, only got as far as Astrakhan, but dude it's a goddamn blast and I never felt like my life was threatened. Didn't even ever pay a bribe during that run, even at the Georgian-Russian border crossing. Plus, the roads won't be quite as bad as your 2006 picture there, although there will certainly be some distinctly hosed-up roads you will have to tackle.

You will hate steppes by the end of it all, though.

And now I want to do the Rally again. Thanks.

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 22, 2013

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

What do you teach SC? I suppose you're teaching in Brittany.

I teach English to adults right now, part time while I'm a student finishing up my licence. After I finish my masters and do the concours I'll be teaching in the Diwan immersion schools, although I'm not sure what level yet.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
I think people in this thread would really dig Long Way Round. It's on Netflix instant in the US currently

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Soviet Commubot posted:

I teach English to adults right now, part time while I'm a student finishing up my licence. After I finish my masters and do the concours I'll be teaching in the Diwan immersion schools, although I'm not sure what level yet.

drat, only one high school? What's Karaez?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

loving do it. I did it last year, only got as far as Astrakhan, but dude it's a goddamn blast and I never felt like my life was threatened. Didn't even ever pay a bribe during that run, even at the Georgian-Russian border crossing. Plus, the roads won't be quite as bad as your 2006 picture there, although there will certainly be some distinctly hosed-up roads you will have to tackle.

You will hate steppes by the end of it all, though.

And now I want to do the Rally again. Thanks.

Dude! If you have the time, you should totally start an Ask/Tell thread about this. I know I'd love to hear your account of your experiences on such an adventure!

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Riptor posted:

I think people in this thread would really dig Long Way Round. It's on Netflix instant in the US currently

Seconding this, it's great.

And basically like exactly what people are discussing right now. Three dudes on a motorcycle ride all across Eurasia.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

US fans of European football teams (as gauged by facebook likes)

From Deadspin.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

ulvir posted:

Regarding comparisons for sense of scale. If there was ever a doubt that Russia is god drat enormous:

By some quick googling, Russia is about 10,000km across, and Australia is about 4,000km across. What's going on with this map?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

ProfessorProf posted:

By some quick googling, Russia is about 10,000km across, and Australia is about 4,000km across. What's going on with this map?

Projection fuckery maybe?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

ProfessorProf posted:

They actually just used a mercator projection map and a ruler.

Peruser
Feb 23, 2013
The problem of map projection

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

drat, only one high school? What's Karaez?

Karaez is Carhaix in French, famous for Les Vielles Charrues and not much else. I'd like to work in the high school and chances are they'll have an English teaching job open there when I graduate but we'll see. Given the rapid level of growth they are in the early planning stages of a second high school, either in Brest or in Vannes. The biggest thing holding back growth is a lack of teachers so I guess if any goons want a pretty much guaranteed job you should learn Breton and teach.

There's only one high school in the immersion schools but there are four or five bilingual public high schools. I think the bilingual schools are good for people who speak Breton at home but most people don't so a kid in the bilingual school (by law 50% French, 50% Breton) will have the vast majority of their life occur in French rather than actually being at parity.

DrSunshine posted:

Dude! If you have the time, you should totally start an Ask/Tell thread about this. I know I'd love to hear your account of your experiences on such an adventure!

Seconding, this would be cool as hell.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Rincewind posted:

US fans of European football teams (as gauged by facebook likes)

From Deadspin.

That's wrong, because I am definitely the only person in Wisconsin who watches godless communist soccer and I support Swansea City.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

Lycus posted:

They actually just used a mercator projection map and a ruler.

That's equirectangular, not mercator

:goonsay: