Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris!
Dec 2, 2004

E
Thinking of going to Bergen in Norway for 4 days in a couple of weeks. It's really cheap to get to, and hostels there are pretty cheap as well.

It looks beautiful, but I know it's meant to be extremely wet this time of year.

Any thoughts on this plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlantHead
Jan 2, 2004

HookShot posted:

Yeah London was really a day-and-a-half at most city for me. I spent two weeks in Rome and still want to go back. I love art though so our trip involved a lot of trips to random churches to see two Caravaggio's for example.

You missed a massive amount of stuff.
Nothing quite compares to Rome but London is definitely second for massive amounts of culture and historical stuff to see.

hand of luke posted:

Does anyone know of any good, affordable day tours from Rome to Pompeii and Vesuvius? I read good reviews for Dark Rome Tours, and I booked their Ostia Antica tour, but I was surprised to see they charge $180 per person for Pompeii.

Pompeii and Vesuvius really do require more than a day trip to do them justice, you could spend 1 day in Pompeii alone.
I wouldn't book a tour to be honest. It is much cheaper and just as easy to book the fast train to Naples yourself and then get a connecting train to Pompeii's Scavi Station, it is only a few minutes outside of Naples.

http://www.trenitalia.com/

Have a read here http://www.seat61.com/Italy-trains.htm#How%20to%20use%20Trenitalia.com
if you are confused by the Italian rail system or need more info on trains to Pompeii.
You should also really go to Herculaneum and probably before you see Pompeii. Herculaneum is smaller and much more complete.

PlantHead fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 14, 2013

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Any recommendations for eatin places in Rome? My wife and I are going for a weekend at the end of November. I searched the thread and these were the only ones I found (sorry for not saving posters' names)

quote:

Eat dinner at a restaurant called Sensus, go do the usual touristy stuff like the Colloseum, Pantheon, Palatine Hill. Go to Trastevere and eat at some hole in the wall trattoria run by an old nonna for the best pasta of your life.

http://www.gourmet-chick.com/2011/07/eight-cheap-eats-in-rome-gourmet-chick.html

I love the link, cheap and good is exactly what we like. We're really hoping to find some delis where we can just point to meats and cheeses and get them to put it on some bread (I'll be pointing and drooling, the wife speaks fluent Italian). A nice place for our anniversary dinner would be cool too.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

PlantHead posted:

You should also really go to Herculaneum and probably before you see Pompeii. Herculaneum is smaller and much more complete.

Personally, I'd say do them the other way around. The walk from Herculaneum back to the station is all uphill and tiring and ideally you'd want to save as much as your energy as you can for Pompeii. It also doesn't help that the walk through Herculaneum involves a lot of up and downs rather than Pompeii being comparatively flat.

Also a good tip for Pompeii is to try and go there early and when it's raining. I was lucky enough to get there right as it opening and pouring rain and I had Pompeii all to myself for about an hour and it was the most glorious moment of my trip. After an hour of wandering I made my way back to the main plaza and the amount of people was insane.

greazeball posted:

Any recommendations for eatin places in Rome? My wife and I are going for a weekend at the end of November. I searched the thread and these were the only ones I found (sorry for not saving posters' names)

I love the link, cheap and good is exactly what we like. We're really hoping to find some delis where we can just point to meats and cheeses and get them to put it on some bread (I'll be pointing and drooling, the wife speaks fluent Italian). A nice place for our anniversary dinner would be cool too.

I'm not much of a connoisseur, but the place I found myself going back to about 3 times in one week was http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restaurant_Review-g187791-d2395767-Reviews-Divin_Ostilia_Wine_Bar-Rome_Lazio.html. It's one block away from the Colosseum and they made the best pasta I had in Italy. Not necessarily a fancy place, but very good well-priced food.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

greazeball posted:

This place is in Prati, it's about 2 minutes walk from Ottaviano metro, and also only a few minutes walk from the Vatican. It does amazing pizza, but there is also fantastic pasta and steak there.

http://www.isoladellapizza.com/

Afterwards walk a few more minutes south to Gelateria Oldbridge. The line will be long but it'll only take 5 minutes to get to the front.

http://gelateriaoldbridge.com/

Then take a taxi or bus from Piazza del Risorgimento (Oldbridge is just off the piazza) to Trastevere and get some chocolate shots here (they come in shotglasses made of chocolate, so you just chuck the whole thing in your mouth and chew):

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/rome/cioccolata-e-vino/

Then wander around, find a nice bar, and have a drink or five.

Then for the next night(s) go wander around Trastevere and find some small places. I really like L'Antico Moro:

https://plus.google.com/111676401589017595319/about?gl=it&hl=it

It's cheap but the food is great, and when they have some the lasagna is fantastic and in Roman style (without cream).

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Is the Iamsterdam card worth it? We're staying in Amsterdam for 3 days while we get adjusted to the jet lag and wander about the city.

We'll be using a lot of public transportation since we have to stay about 3-5 miles out of all the museums and fun stuff. We're staying at the Blue Tower Best Western since the place I previously booked has bedbugs and all the places closer in are now far pricier than they were two months ago. loving bedbugs. That'll be a friendly reminder to read all reviews before booking.

We'll be following a lot of what grellgraxer posted along with visiting Foam. We live just north of San Diego, so a zoo isn't a big pull for us. Since we're staying in a hotel, the food discounts I guess would be ok. I try to use vacation time as either gorge-myself-on-amazing-food or diet-and-eat-tons-of-protein-bars. I believe this trip will be of the latter.

If I just buy a standard 72-hour travel pass, what's the advantage of buying the OV Chipkaart? Do I have to have one of those to be able to get a 72 hour pass?

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 15, 2013

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

If you are visiting more than 4 museums during your trip, it's worth it. The OV Chipkaart is included with the offer.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
We got the IAmsterdam cards and they turned out to be great value. We went to heaps of museums and caught a lot of trams and it didn't take long for them to pay for themselves.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Please note that the Rijksmuseum is not included.

e; The location of that best western isn't too bad. If the weather allows you can easily reach the city centre by bike. Museum square would be 3 miles or 20-25 minutes of cycling. Or 25 minutes by Tram.

Rojkir fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Oct 15, 2013

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

This place is in Prati, it's about 2 minutes walk from Ottaviano metro, and also only a few minutes walk from the Vatican. It does amazing pizza, but there is also fantastic pasta and steak there.

http://www.isoladellapizza.com/

Afterwards walk a few more minutes south to Gelateria Oldbridge. The line will be long but it'll only take 5 minutes to get to the front.

http://gelateriaoldbridge.com/

Then take a taxi or bus from Piazza del Risorgimento (Oldbridge is just off the piazza) to Trastevere and get some chocolate shots here (they come in shotglasses made of chocolate, so you just chuck the whole thing in your mouth and chew):

http://www.spottedbylocals.com/rome/cioccolata-e-vino/

Then wander around, find a nice bar, and have a drink or five.

Then for the next night(s) go wander around Trastevere and find some small places. I really like L'Antico Moro:

https://plus.google.com/111676401589017595319/about?gl=it&hl=it

It's cheap but the food is great, and when they have some the lasagna is fantastic and in Roman style (without cream).

Oh my god, these look amazing. Mille grazie!

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Ciampini Gelato, kind of between the Spanish Steps and the Pantheon, is the best gelato you will ever eat in your life.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
Alright, second post about my upcoming 7 months in Spain (~10 months in Europe total): should I bring my very nice folding bike? When folded, it's 10" over the standard 62" allowable as checked baggage to Europe, so I'll pay the $150 (each way) oversized luggage fee. I won't be able to buy a decent bike (only a crappy used one) for that price in Asturias, as far as I know. I just can't decide if the hassle and expense is worth having a really well-made, good condition bicycle. I'll get real utility out of it - ie, going to school on bike rather than paying for public transportation multiple times a day. What's the general advice on "bring" vs "buy there" on bikes in Europe for year-long trips?
edit: as far as I've found, no - not cheaper to ship separately. I do own a u-lock, will take it with me. NOT a major city but it is urban.

Mortley fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 16, 2013

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Would it be cheaper to ship it separately?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Mortley posted:

Alright, second post about my upcoming 7 months in Spain (~10 months in Europe total): should I bring my very nice folding bike? When folded, it's 10" over the standard 62" allowable as checked baggage to Europe, so I'll pay the $150 (each way) oversized luggage fee. I won't be able to buy a decent bike (only a crappy used one) for that price in Asturias, as far as I know. I just can't decide if the hassle and expense is worth having a really well-made, good condition bicycle. I'll get real utility out of it - ie, going to school on bike rather than paying for public transportation multiple times a day. What's the general advice on "bring" vs "buy there" on bikes in Europe for year-long trips?

Depending on where your going (basically any major city), if you have a nice bike it will be stolen in about 5 minutes. So, keep that in mind and only use a U-Lock (and even then it might be stolen).

I exclusively use lovely bikes for this reason, but even those get stolen (but I never use U-Locks, in fact I've never seen them for sale in Europe).

E: also beware of community bike storage in your apt building, if they have that. I've known several people get their bikes stolen out of locked storage areas in their buildings, just secured with normal locks.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Has anyone got any recommendations for a clean, cheap hotel in Prague? Nothing fancy just somewhere where I won't have to share a shower and toilet.

Neris
Mar 7, 2004

don't you dare use the word 'party' as a verb in this shop
Check out some of the reviews on here. Airbnb is loving great. You can increase the price too, I just put it incredibly low just to see what kind of options there were.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/Prague?a...GQ&price_max=16

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

madey posted:

Has anyone got any recommendations for a clean, cheap hotel in Prague? Nothing fancy just somewhere where I won't have to share a shower and toilet.

This may be out of your budget, but this is the best place my wife and I have EVER stayed in Europe, and that's several dozen or more places.

http://www.lidabb.eu

They are really passionate about showing off this great city, are located in a neat neighborhood, and had lots of neat suggestions that don't show up in travel books.

Prague is so awesome.

Otm Shank
Mar 5, 2005
Mir raucht den Kopf!!!

Mortley posted:

edit: as far as I've found, no - not cheaper to ship separately. I do own a u-lock, will take it with me. NOT a major city but it is urban.

If you're going to be there for that long I would personally buy a halfway decent bike that will blend in with the local crappy bikes and then sell it when leaving. As long as you get no more than $300 less than you'd paid for it, you're even with what you'd spend on shipping and won't have to deal with lugging around your bike when in transit.

Otm Shank fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 18, 2013

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
Thanks for the advice. I cannot believe i had not heard of airbnb before, I ended up getting a similar apartment to LaserWashes suggestion for around two thirds of the price. I hadn't even considered an apartment before but they seem a much better deal. SO looking forward to Prague now.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

madey posted:

Thanks for the advice. I cannot believe i had not heard of airbnb before, I ended up getting a similar apartment to LaserWashes suggestion for around two thirds of the price. I hadn't even considered an apartment before but they seem a much better deal. SO looking forward to Prague now.

AirBNB is the best, but you should learn how to use it (how searches work and whatnot). I can usually find great places for like 30 euro a night, and I've used it all over Europe. I've had no really bad experiences, and some great hosts who've bought me groceries, driven me around and taken me out for drinks.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
I've never done airbnb and am having some struggles convincing the gf to sign up to try it out for an upcoming 3 week trip to europe, im assuming hosts normally stay there with you unless specified?

I'm trying to plan stuff to check out for my gf's birthday while were in Paris. Can anyone give recommendations on a classy/semi high class restaurant and hotel to stay at? I'm doing my own research and building top 5 list of eatery/accomodations to use for each city we've visiting but wondering if there was something out there that hasnt been reviewed extensively but is known for quality, looking to spend around 200-300 for the meal and around the same for a hotel.

also here is my rough travel plan, please provide feedback if you think its not efficient or unrealistic
nov
4-7 barcelona
8-11 paris
12-15 italy (undecided on which city to check out)
16-20 madrid/granada/valencia .. end up in barcelona again by the 20th for flight back home.
nothing is set in stone, all dates are flexible depending on if we find stuff to check out, we're also banking that cheap flights will be available for the hops between countries.. were open to hostelling as long as it has a private bathroom so if anyone has any recommendations for those too please let me know :)

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

ja_raul posted:

I've never done airbnb and am having some struggles convincing the gf to sign up to try it out for an upcoming 3 week trip to europe, im assuming hosts normally stay there with you unless specified?

Click the box that says "Entire Place" instead of Private room or shared room. You will have the whole place to yourself.

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I did airbnb in Bilbao and rented an entire apartment in the old city for a cheaper price than a nearby hotel. I showed up and the host gave me keys, showed me around the house, gave us a bunch of recommendations for places to see in the area and left. When we left a few days later we left the keys in the house and off we disappeared. The process was super easy and it gave us a comfortable place to retreat to that felt less sterile than a hotel. Our host let us know about places we would never know about and also gave us some context for our stay.
I enthusiastically recommend it, but I have a friend who was renting an apartment in Corsica and got cancelled on the night before, but from my understanding that is not too common and airbnb tries to help you find other lodging.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

ja_raul posted:

also here is my rough travel plan, please provide feedback if you think its not efficient or unrealistic
nov
4-7 barcelona
8-11 paris
16-20 madrid/granada/valencia .. end up in barcelona again by the 20th for flight back home.
nothing is set in stone, all dates are flexible depending on if we find stuff to check out, we're also banking that cheap flights will be available for the hops between countries.. were open to hostelling as long as it has a private bathroom so if anyone has any recommendations for those too please let me know :)

I'll give you the same advice that was given me and others when I asked the same question: That's not enough time. Unless you're dead set on going to Spain, I'd say cut it out altogether. If it's your first time in Italy and Paris, I'd also say to divide your three weeks between the two. I've been to Paris before, but it's still making up a third of my three week trip later this year because there's so much I haven't seen. The rest of my time is going to be spent in Rome, Venice and Florence with a couple days spent in London to recover from jetlag. There are some posters on here who would consider my trip to be rushed.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ja_raul posted:

I'm trying to plan stuff to check out for my gf's birthday while were in Paris. Can anyone give recommendations on a classy/semi high class restaurant and hotel to stay at? I'm doing my own research and building top 5 list of eatery/accomodations to use for each city we've visiting but wondering if there was something out there that hasnt been reviewed extensively but is known for quality, looking to spend around 200-300 for the meal and around the same for a hotel.

nov
4-7 barcelona
8-11 paris

The OP posted:

:siren: DON'T GO EVERYWHERE. DON'T SPEND ONLY 5 DAYS IN A COUNTRY. IT'S BETTER TO SPEND MORE TIME IN A FEW PLACES THAN NOT A LOT OF TIME IN A LOT OF PLACES. THERE ARE SOME MANY loving THINGS TO SEE IN EVERY COUNTRY, DON'T ASK "CAN I DO GERMANY IN 4 DAYS? WHAT'S COOL TO SEE?" YOUR ITINERARY CAN'T BE "I HAVE 2 WEEKS, SEEING UK, FRANCE, ITALY AND GERMANY, PLZ HALP" WE WON'T HELP AND WILL JUST TELL YOU TO CUT IT DOWN TO 1/2 COUNTRIES AT THE MOST, SO DO THIS AHEAD OF TIME. :siren:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

ja_raul posted:

nov
4-7 barcelona
8-11 paris

You could have a great time getting a car and driving from Barca to Paris and then back around to Madrid, etc.

But if you want to stick with your original plan, I'd start trying to book cheap flights right now. Last-minute fares are not usually that great.

possible road trip stops:
Barcelona
Marseille/Nice
Genoa/Milan
Zurich/Strasbourg
Paris
Brittany
Bilbao/Pamplona
Madrid
Valencia

greazeball fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 21, 2013

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I personally don't fully agree with that opinion for all situations. I think it's mostly good advice but there are situations when blitz travel makes sense and it can be fun and fulfilling.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
"yessssss add mooooooore places," hissed the Bad Travel Advice Snake. "you have tiiiiiiiiiiime"

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

DNova posted:

I personally don't fully agree with that opinion for all situations. I think it's mostly good advice but there are situations when blitz travel makes sense and it can be fun and fulfilling.

What's funny is that ja_raul's trip could be reasonably planned. I don't know where he's starting, but 16 days for Spain/France/Italy is definitely do-able, although more of a 'friends traveling' than a 'romantic getaway with the gf' (not that the former can't be done with the latter).

Assuming you're starting in City X of the US, I'd recommend either the trip more like this. Keep in mind air travel loses at best 1/2 day, at worst 1 full day (depends on flight schedule).

4-8: Paris
8: fly to Rome with EasyJet or equivalent
8-12: Rome
12: fly to Barca or Madrid, whichever is cheaper
12-20: Madrid/Valencia/Barcelona --> Granada is way off course. Either do something like Madrid-> Granada->Malaga->Cordoba, or do something like Madrid->Valencia->Barcelona

Now you have only a somewhat rushed vacation that hits basically everywhere you wanted to go and with minimal loss of time. I have done similar vacations and enjoyed them thoroughly.

Edit: For people who have not really been to Europe before, I personally kind of recommend doing a somewhat rushed 'variety pack' itinerary. Spending a week in Paris and a week in Rome is dandy, until you find out you're not a city person / museum person and hate Parisians after 3 days. (PS: I'm almost positive it's impossible to not enjoy Rome.) My first several trips to Europe were always 1-2 weeks in the same city, sometimes with day trips outside, but I actually enjoyed my later road trip "one/two days in a bunch of mid-sized cities" type travels at least equally as much. This is with sane distances between cities, like 1 to 3 hours max. I know a lot of people massively underestimate Western Europe's size--like Texas is bigger than France, but not by much, and also Texas is huge.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 21, 2013

Sir Plus
Jan 16, 2008

Ain't easy looking this eggstraordinary.

I'm in the infant stages of planning a two-week European trip for next June, which started as a Prague -> Vienna -> Munich idea, but the more I read, the more I'm thinking of cutting out Vienna and just doing a week in Prague and a week in Munich or doing Berlin -> Prague -> Munich or even Prague -> Munich -> Zurich.

I don't want to be rushing around, but I've also seen some sites saying that a week in one city is too long. Any opinions from people who have been to that general area? It would just be me and my girlfriend, we're in our late 20s, money's not too terrible a concern. Thanks for any recommendations!

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
I've backpacked around Europe twice already, but this will be my gf's first time. Since nothing is set in stone in terms of reservations (aside from the first and last 2 nights booked in barcelona) I figured this estimate of days for each city would work, we're obviously open to staying in certain cities longer and cutting back on other planned destinations, but Paris for her bday on nov 10 is a must.

I had to spend 6 days in Rome on my first trip to Europe due to a friend getting heatstroke, so i'm personally done with that city, but I'm hoping that 1-2 days will be enough for the gf to take all of the 'memorable & touristy' shots.. the whole trip by no means is a romantic getaway, we've got seperate things we want to check out in these major cities.

Thanks for the heads up on booking last minute flights, maybe i'll book cheap flights for major hops and just cancel if I dont end up making it, may work better then not having the option at all.. thanks everyone for your advice so far.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

ja_raul posted:

(aside from the first and last 2 nights booked in barcelona)

Is there some special reason you did this? I guess it's already too late, but if you weren't aware, you can get "open jaw" plane tickets that fly into one city, and then out of another, and they're the same price (more or less) as getting a normal round-trip.

Since you have to start and end up in Barcelona, you'd probably have a lot more fun just renting a car or training around France and Spain. If you do rent a car, note that the [strike]Paris[/strike] French highways are crazy expensive. I'd recommend more Spain and less France since the weather will be nicer in Spain, but YMMV.

E: Oops, said "Paris" when I meant "French".

Saladman fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Oct 22, 2013

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Yeah the highways in France are really expensive (and dumb with their let's-put-toll-boothes-at-random-intervals design) but the A roads are fine for less than all day driving and they're free.

ja_raul
May 1, 2005
I figured I should spend the first couple of nights in the city I land in (barca) to deal with potential jetlag + actually check out some sites, and staying in Barca the last couple of nights before I head back home is just to play it safe. I'm not considering driving due to budget/fear issues, but maybe on a future trip through eastern europe where I would buy a cheapo car and sell it at the end of the trip.

I forgot about open jaw flights, I've done that in the past and its worked great, just getting to those remote airports was sometimes a pain.. but it sort of goes against travelling around on a whim and not being stuck on a schedule. I know it's going to happen, but i'd like to avoid 'amazing race' moments where im rushing from one end of a city's airport, to make it to a train station.

Also, i'm arriving in Amsterdam on Nov 4 @ 10am and leaving for Barca at 8pm, i'm definitely going into downtown to kill time, is this enough time to check out the van gogh museum, or are there any other awesome things I should check out? I'm thinking its too early to check out the red lights and also not into the greens.. any recommendations for foody spots to check out?

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
Winkel 43 on Noordermarkt is a nice place for cheap Dutch food, and not too far from the central station. And if you're not up for lunch/dinner, they also have great Dutch apple pie.
Otherwise, a pancake place like the Pancake Bakery on Prinsengracht can be interesting, it's something new if you only know American pancakes.

The red light district is always the red light district, but indeed the atmosphere is not really there when it's not dark so maybe you should save it.

Mr.AARP
Apr 20, 2010

I was born after Kurt Cobain died. Now you feel old.

Sir Plus posted:

I'm in the infant stages of planning a two-week European trip for next June, which started as a Prague -> Vienna -> Munich idea, but the more I read, the more I'm thinking of cutting out Vienna and just doing a week in Prague and a week in Munich or doing Berlin -> Prague -> Munich or even Prague -> Munich -> Zurich.

I don't want to be rushing around, but I've also seen some sites saying that a week in one city is too long. Any opinions from people who have been to that general area? It would just be me and my girlfriend, we're in our late 20s, money's not too terrible a concern. Thanks for any recommendations!

Honestly I think Berlin-Prague-Munich would be the best way to structure that or vice-versa depending on flights. I found 4 days to be about the perfect amount of time in Prague as well, but ymmv.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
If you do follow the advice to go from Munich to Prague (or vice versa), make sure to take the bus over the train. This is counter-intuitive to most travel in Europe but in this case makes sense.

You can buy train tickets in advance from this site (http://www.cd.cz/eshop). A quick query yields a price of 500 Czech Koruna (approx. 19 euros) for a one-way ticket. You can buy tickets in advance for the bus through DB Bahn, which are usually 29 euros for a one-way ticket. The bus trip is four and a half hours, while by train is six plus hours.

Re: Prague, I spent 5 days in Prague in June 2012 and it felt like an eternity. You can cover the castle quarter in a day. The Old Town/Jewish Quarter can chew up another day. After that... Be prepared for many annoying American and British (stag parties) tourists, especially in June. Exhibit A, I caught a snippet on the local news of a video of an American tourist climbing the Astronomical clock in the Old Town Square. Part of the clock was destroyed as a result. Prague is the only place in Europe where I felt more than slightly annoyed by the masses. I've been to Rome, Paris, Florence and Berlin in peak season as well. I did find a cheap (55 euro) room in Praha 1 (Stare Mesto), which was only a five minute walk away from the square. Food and beer is cheap, make sure to drink at U Zlateho Tygra (At the Golden Tiger). This is a classic Czech pub that is surrounded by luxury restaurants with attractive, young waitresses. Here you will find gruff, mustachioed men and a lackluster menu. Apparently Vaclav Havel brought Bill Clinton here, where Bill felt obliged to play his saxophone. Maybe a Prague resident (or a fellow Goon) would tell me that the place is crap, but I like to maintain the belief that this is what Prague was like before the Curtain fell and when the ticky-tack shops were non-existent.

I would definitely try to squeeze in either Berlin or Vienna, with Berlin edging out Vienna by a country mile.

Ferdinand Bardamu fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 22, 2013

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Berlin, Prague, and Munich happen to be 3 of my top 5 favorite cities in Europe. I'll second no on Vienna. Out of the way from big parts of Europe and it just didn't do it for me.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
Does anyone know if there's anywhere in Dublin airport to buy a sim card ?

One site said there was a Vodafone store, but it's not on the Dublin airport website.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Further to that are there any UK providers that don't charge an arm and a leg for roaming fee's around the EU? I am moving to the UK with a good bit of travelling around Europe first and am going to need to buy a new phone when I land.

I know I could always get a new sim for each country but that seems like a bunch of hassle which I would like to avoid if at all possible. (Prepaid preferably, I don't need a lot of data just enough to use google maps/whatever to help avoid getting lost and to find places.)

I have had a look around and nobody seems to offer better rates than about 45-50p per megabyte, calls 25p/min, txt's 8-10p each which appear to be what the EU legislated as the max at some point in the past.

Saros fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 23, 2013