Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

How nice, the Mavericks installer thoughtfully does an fsck before installing the guts, my blocks are TRIMmed.

Edit: hmm, System Reaper cleaned out 7.2 GB of disk space? Well, more free space on the SSD always helps..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
1) So if we already own iPhoto/Garageband/iMovie.. I assume this will be a free update at some point?

2) So Craig was demoing sending Apple Maps directions to his iPhone and on the share button on the mac there was a send to iPhone link. I don't have that link in Mavericks > Apple Maps. iCloud is *on* on my mac and *on* on my iPhone.

Any ideas?

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Kobayashi posted:

Two questions:

1. Did Apple change their accounting so they can justify giving away Mavericks? Or did they just decide it doesn't matter anymore?

Accounting rules have changed. That's why they no longer have to charge iPod Touch users for upgrades either.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Seems like they sped up a lot of the gesture animations. That is worth the effort of upgrading right there.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I hadn't followed all the Mavericks stuff too closely due to just upgrading to ML like three months ago but I happened to randomly check the App Store to find Mavericks on the update page for free. That's mighty nice. Still waiting for the .1 update though, I'm nervous enough about updating the OS on this frankly ancient-rear end MBP which people said wouldn't even run Lion but apparently will run Mavericks just fine too since ML works perfectly on it?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What's the exact model #?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

It's a late 2007, a 3,1 I think.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

That should be fine, as long as you have a modern graphics chip and an Intel Core 2 Duo, you should be fine.

Once more, here's Apple's list of Maverick Macs.

Apple posted:

iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)

MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)

MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)

Xserve (Early 2009)

MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)

Mac mini (Early 2009 or newer)

Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, I think this very model was the first one with Core 2 Duo. It's good to know I'm covered, thanks!

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
So, if I have had my rMBP since last year, how will I be able to get latest iMovie or is that locked into new purchases of a new device only?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Took 1398 seconds to go from Mounty Lion to Mavs. And I got to save my Installer log, whoopee.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Host names don't seem to work between my two macs at home. Should they be working??

ie. ping mac1 from mac2

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone have experience rolling their own fusion drive? Success? Pitfalls?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

fleshweasel posted:

Does anyone have experience rolling their own fusion drive? Success? Pitfalls?
Yes. I've posted about it several times in the Hardware thread. It's great. I'm using a 256GB Apple OEM SSD and a WD 4TB Red.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I'm using the first Mavericks GM and I'm trying to update to the release version but my updates page is blank.

Any idea why this is happening? Is there a way to clear the app store cache?

CRAYON fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 22, 2013

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

CRAYON posted:

I'm using the first Mavericks GM and I'm trying to update to the release version but my updates page is blank.

The GM seed is the exact same build as what's on the App Store. Unless you're talking about the first GM seed, in which case it won't show up as an update. You need to redownload Mavericks and perform the upgrade again.

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

CRAYON posted:

After I hit install, I relaunched the app store icon and it appeared in the purchases tab downloading.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Binary Badger posted:

That should be fine, as long as you have a modern graphics chip and an Intel Core 2 Duo, you should be fine.

Once more, here's Apple's list of Maverick Macs.

Wonder if I should put Mavericks on my 2008 Mac Pro... Mountain Lion seems to be working great so far.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Any major reason to use Safari over Chrome with Mavericks? I keep trying Safari every 6-8 months, but always end up going back to Chrome.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Duckman2008 posted:

Any major reason to use Safari over Chrome with Mavericks? I keep trying Safari every 6-8 months, but always end up going back to Chrome.

What about Chrome is appealing to you? Safari on OS X at least feels faster to me.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Supposedly they've made major improvements to the per-tab process architecture in Safari so it should be a lot more stable. If you plan on taking advantage of iCloud keychain then using Safari will be the most convenient way to generate new passwords and access your old ones across all your devices. It will also probably be the most power efficient browser as well.

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

If you use iOS devices (especially running 7) there is iCloud integration and iCloud Keychain support.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

What about Chrome is appealing to you? Safari on OS X at least feels faster to me.

Stubbornness plus I'm used to it probably. Bookmarks are set up the way I want them to be. I'll give it another try.

The trackpad seems less responsive. Anyone else notice this?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

For the folks who stayed behind in ML/L/SL and spurned the promised land, Apple pushed Safari v.6.1 out, looks pretty similar to 7.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
I was debating whether or not to update my late 2008 Macbook if Mavericks was in the 20-30 dollar range. Now that it's free? I'm in. :f5:

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Duckman2008 posted:

Stubbornness plus I'm used to it probably. Bookmarks are set up the way I want them to be. I'll give it another try.

You can sync Chrome bookmarks with iCloud now. Get the iCloud Bookmarks extension from the Chrome Web Store.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

iCloud 2 brings back keychain, oh goody.

All my CUDA apps just poo poo the bed, oh poo.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So can I copy my download of Mavericks into where the App Store app expects it to be and update that way, or do I have to either download it separately each time or make a bootable usb drive?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

wdarkk posted:

So can I copy my download of Mavericks into where the App Store app expects it to be and update that way, or do I have to either download it separately each time or make a bootable usb drive?
Here's how you make a copy.

Prate
Jun 23, 2005

Duckman2008 posted:

I like Shared Links and Reading List on the side-bar. Mouse gestures seem better on Safari, double tap to zoom, and Reader. I don't really use many extensions, so I've always been quite happy with Safari.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What, using the InstallESD image doesn't work anymore?

eames
May 9, 2009

Upgraded and uuuugh, I miss the 2D Dock so much.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I'm assuming if you have iWork 09 installed from a DVD you won't be getting the updates? Or does anyone know for sure yet?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

What, using the InstallESD image doesn't work anymore?
Nope. New process.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Duckman2008 posted:

The trackpad seems less responsive. Anyone else notice this?

Yep, scrolling seems weird (read 'different')

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just used keyboard preferences to set ctrl+alt+left arrow to open Notification Center and ctrl+alt+shift+left arrow to toggle Do Not Disturb. I'm googling around wondering if there's a way to send a message with Notification Center using only the keyboard. It doesn't look like it. Maybe someone will write a utility.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

:siren: A warning to anyone still running the old, pre app store version of iWork 09: :siren:

Any files you open in the new iCloud iWork beta will be rendered incompatible with your installed iWork programs.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Oneiros posted:

:siren: A warning to anyone still running the old, pre app store version of iWork 09: :siren:

Any files you open in the new iCloud iWork beta will be rendered incompatible with your installed iWork programs.

:argh:
Actually since I'm not going to be buying a new mac, this means I'm going to end up buying them all for $19.99 a piece. Unless they push a software update for the pre-app store versions, but I'm not betting on it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
18gigs incoming (updating three Macbooks). 1.5 hrs on each...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Heads up. Looks like the OS X and iOS versions of iLife/iWork are starting to get pushed out.