Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

thylacine posted:

Does anyone sell bikes at a dealership?

A local place is hiring, thinking about going in there and giving it a try.

My experience is only with Harley salesmen, but the majority of the ones I knew were very good at pestering people until they bought something. They were knowledgeable about selling things first, then some bike knowledge. I can only think of one who actually rode, but he was an ex-GP racer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Mister Duck posted:

I feel your pain. I don't want to do wheelies at 90 on the highway but, man, just a little one on some side roads for kids playing in their yards would be fantastic.

I've tried to ease into it, but the lurch from clutching it up scares the poo poo out of me.

Report to the supermoto thread for good advice and video links on being awesome. With this program I learned to suck 100% less at wheelies and now the local poliec and my wife hate me.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Anybody wanna help me make my commute to work longer? :sun:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...42b799525525671

This is what I have so far. There's gotta be something better.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Xovaan posted:

Well I looked but it made my head hurt because you are in some kind of urban shithole :smuggo:

Current commute at worst is 2 miles of 55mph two-lane county road, 4 mile gravel road, and 7 miles of mixed roads without lines and two lane county roads(lines). At best it is 8 miles of serious arm-pumping side-hilling rock-jumping single track, 3 miles of ATV trails and the aforementioned 7miles of mixed pavement... Going to work never felt so good!

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Lucky. :mad:

I just need KTM to announce the SMC-R for 2014 so I have an excuse to blow fourteen thousand dollars cash to turn that pathetic squiggle into some kind of hellishly blackmetal straight line.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Any GSXR dudes need a new brake master cyl? Now's the time! http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/massive-worldwide-gsx-r-recall/23794.html#ixzz2iL6nZ779

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Xovaan posted:

Here you go!
http://goo.gl/maps/cndZ5
:v:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...,7,8,9&t=m&z=15

Plan:

1. Wake up at 3:30AM
2. Put handle of Jim Beam in a paper bag, chug half, and strap rest to the waist of second layer of sweatpants
3. Barely grasp to consciousness and life as I make my haggard route through suburbs, stopping abruptly to yell at trees, mailboxes, streetlamps, and the frost on my breath
4. Arrive to work by 9:00AM

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I had the day off so I took the sv to the mountains again. The weather couldn't have been better and the leaves were in full bloom.After riding for hours I turned to head the 1.5 hour drive back home. Rolled on the throttle a little bit and the chain snapped leaving me stranded with no cell signal at 530 when all the shops are closed.

Some very nice people with cell coverage pulled over, helped me find an open shop, and waited while I arranged things with them. Even though they were minutes from close, Union powersports had someone there who drove to pick up my bike after hours and set up to repair the bike tomorrow. The pain of having to have a friend pick me up and to have to drive mack up here to pick up the bike really sucks. That said, at least I didn't have to arrange a tow and wait hours for help. It could have snapped mid corner or some place without a shoulder, too, so I got lucky.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

I had the day off so I took the sv to the mountains again. The weather couldn't have been better and the leaves were in full bloom.After riding for hours I turned to head the 1.5 hour drive back home. Rolled on the throttle a little bit and the chain snapped leaving me stranded with no cell signal at 530 when all the shops are closed.

Some very nice people with cell coverage pulled over, helped me find an open shop, and waited while I arranged things with them. Even though they were minutes from close, Union powersports had someone there who drove to pick up my bike after hours and set up to repair the bike tomorrow. The pain of having to have a friend pick me up and to have to drive mack up here to pick up the bike really sucks. That said, at least I didn't have to arrange a tow and wait hours for help. It could have snapped mid corner or some place without a shoulder, too, so I got lucky.

Hold on, Silver will be here in a minute to tell you about that one time he snapped a chain on a Suzuki.

Was this related to the weird sound it was making? Maybe your axle adjusters were hosed?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'm getting the impression the chain was just hosed/hilariously loose and there's nothing wrong with the bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
My favorite is the irritated arm shrug on the guy when the chain hops off the rear sprocket. It wasn't a "what happened? why did I lose power?" gesture, it was a "not AGAIN, this stupid bike breaks all the time for no reason, bikes are stupid, why can't anyone make a reliable bike" gesture. This tells you immediately that yes it was the owner's fault.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We're talking about coydog's coincidental chain failure. Wrong thread brah :)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

apatite posted:

Report to the supermoto thread for good advice and video links on being awesome. With this program I learned to suck 100% less at wheelies and now the local poliec and my wife hate me.

Learn to wheelie with this one old weird tip discovered by a forums poster! Cops and wives hate him!

https://www.wheeliesforpatriots.com

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Xovaan posted:

Yes, you can move to North Park and commute to Carlsbad like I do every day. I'm surgical with the lane splitting. My commute sucks and I hate it but I love my job and love my neighborhood so what can ya do (except complain about it).

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bugdrvr posted:

Yes, you can move to North Park and commute to Carlsbad like I do every day. I'm surgical with the lane splitting. My commute sucks and I hate it but I love my job and love my neighborhood so what can ya do (except complain about it).

Where do you work in Carlsbad? I thought I was the only person in the middle of suburb-nowhere!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Maintain your poo poo, people.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

clutchpuck posted:

Maintain your poo poo, people.

Maybe I will pick up a spare drive belt for Christmas...

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Xovaan posted:

Where do you work in Carlsbad? I thought I was the only person in the middle of suburb-nowhere!

I'm a tech over at Porsche. I haven't really explored Carlsbad much but I dig my test loop/lunch spot on the coast. lovely part is I'm so burned out from commuting that I rarely ride (or even leave my neighborhood) on the weekends.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Porsche by Volvo? I take my car next to your work for parts all the time! :v:

If you ever wanna meet up, my friends and I are always looking for an excuse to cook meat and get a fire going. I pretty much just use my bike for commuting so we have a great excuse to be introverts together :effort:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
WELL I JUST HATE THESE TWO WHEELED DEATHTRAPS. I was minding my own business, a mere TWO WEEKS into bike ownership, when THE MAIN DRIVING PART of the bike broke. I mean, if they cant even get that right what are these good for. Clearly these "motorcycles" are just a passing fad.

Really though I'm hoping all my problems were chain related. It didn't look loose, but it may have been or installed wrong or some odd scenario related to it. The shop I left it with seemed like it was staffed with very skilled cycle enthusiasts. The guy who picked me up had been riding since he was a kid. I'm sure my bike is in good hands and everything will get sorted out.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

We're talking about coydog's coincidental chain failure. Wrong thread brah :)
Oh. Now I gotta go post that in the other thread again cause I wanna poo poo on that guy some more.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Coydog posted:

WELL I JUST HATE THESE TWO WHEELED DEATHTRAPS. I was minding my own business, a mere TWO WEEKS into bike ownership, when THE MAIN DRIVING PART of the bike broke. I mean, if they cant even get that right what are these good for. Clearly these "motorcycles" are just a passing fad.

Really though I'm hoping all my problems were chain related. It didn't look loose, but it may have been or installed wrong or some odd scenario related to it. The shop I left it with seemed like it was staffed with very skilled cycle enthusiasts. The guy who picked me up had been riding since he was a kid. I'm sure my bike is in good hands and everything will get sorted out.

That stinks, dude. I've had flat tires up in the mountains before, but never a chain come apart. I'll be curious to know what caused it.

I feel bad having recommended that bike to you, but of all the things that could go wrong, I never would have imagined the chain. What happened? Did the bike just poo poo the broken chain out, or what?

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

apatite posted:

I am planning to get off this goddamn island and out of NY this year. If it goes to plan and I move to NC, it's DRZ and track bike time. Wheelies and knee down if I have anything to say about it.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Not to kick you while you're down, but it was a bad idea to be riding without finding out and fixing whatever made your bike act like that. Drivetrain problems are nothing to gently caress about with. Go to the pictures thread and watch the video of that guy getting off on Mulholland Drive because of a thrown chain. He was pretty fortunate.

Edit:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

New rnickeymouse! Instructional video on chain maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBZWjwHgveY

And the discussion follows for a couple pages.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 22, 2013

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
There seems to be a quirky duality on here concerning mars expedition level safety gear and "get a 250 or you will die" vs. just taking it on faith that the bike is ready to ride. In my mind, having a maintained motorcycle is absolutely as important as wearing a helmet. On the topic, chains very rarely just break, they usually have to be severely neglected or not sorted out for that to occur. I am not saying everybody should be their own technician but please, everybody, for safety, at least do enough homework to be able to identify when it needs one.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
Little local news from the bay state today:

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...YjxN/story.html

I saw this guy once on 95 North when I was going South and I counted 5 state cruisers on his tail, that was a few weeks ago.

edit: his gear:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...vkKO/story.html

wane tendo fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 22, 2013

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

carrion kit posted:

Little local news from the bay state today:

http://www.boston.com/metrodesk/201...YjxN/story.html

I saw this guy once on 95 North when I was going South and I counted 5 state cruisers on his tail, that was a few weeks ago.

edit: his gear:

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...vkKO/story.html

I'm surprised he's only 29, he looks 40. Party hard and run from five oh er'y day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

article posted:

He said Rebello drove in between parked cars, sometimes drove in the wrong direction, ran multiple red lights on Route 60, before heading out onto Route 2. At that point, Foley lost sight of him and his superiors called off the pursuit under department policy that emphasizes using police work to identify speeders, not dangerous pursuits. But Arlington police were able to identify him through interviews with businesses in town. State Police, too, were able to put a name to the motorcyclist. Police were poised to arrest Rebello when he got on his bike this morning — and ended up in handcuffs.

Worth quoting because this is good police work and a good policy in general. The guy looks like the sort of guy who always complains about the cops and the government and how society is always out to get him, but has only himself to blame.

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
Read through some of his FB earlier this morning, looks like he started riding sometime last year. Wrecked his first GSXR then got the yellow one. He said someone pulled in front of him but I wouldn't give him the benefit of the doubt. Also they recently reported his driving record which is comically abysmal and said his license is revoked 'indefinitely'.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

carrion kit posted:

Read through some of his FB earlier this morning, looks like he started riding sometime last year. Wrecked his first GSXR then got the yellow one.
Red ones are fast but the yellow ones corner better. = fewer crashes.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Slavvy posted:

Worth quoting because this is good police work and a good policy in general. The guy looks like the sort of guy who always complains about the cops and the government and how society is always out to get him, but has only himself to blame.

He's in Mass, so he probably complains the government isn't doing enough to gently caress everyone else around him

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Red ones are fast but the yellow ones corner better. = fewer crashes.

My uncle works at Suzuki and he says they have a special blue one that can do both, but he says you can't ride it.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Mirror chat. Black City Pounders tapped another one while filtering. How many people stop to see if they're okay? Is it even worth dealing with some angry boring person?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

My uncle works at Suzuki and he says they have a special blue one that can do both, but he says you can't ride it.

I heard that Ducati invented a bike that's red and yellow at the same time.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Coydog posted:

You broke the chain?? :stare: That thing had had like 2000 miles on it and I've must have done the kerosene chain wax dance like 4 times. Dude you are cursed.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Xovaan posted:

Porsche by Volvo? I take my car next to your work for parts all the time! :v:

If you ever wanna meet up, my friends and I are always looking for an excuse to cook meat and get a fire going. I pretty much just use my bike for commuting so we have a great excuse to be introverts together :effort:

Yep, that's us. We should definitely meet up some time for fire/food/etc. I usually don't leave SD except for work but have been trying to break the habit.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Bugdrvr posted:

Yep, that's us. We should definitely meet up some time for fire/food/etc. I usually don't leave SD except for work but have been trying to break the habit.

I'm free every weekend! Maybe we can see if Sanchezz and Stugazi are down for something too? I have a jacuzzi and barbecue and also a bunch of open-topped toxic chemicals in my garage we can try to figure the ratio of coolant to oil of.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Please post pics of a CA bro meet hot tub party. At least the work safe pics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

PM me the nsfw pics.