Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

This episode has been killing it so far.

That Ben Linus smile...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, this is a loving bad rear end episode. Oh poo poo Carter in the bar! Goddamn!

OH poo poo that ending cliffhanger, God drat it!

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 23, 2013

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Joss is awesome.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That was a real "I crapped my pants" look.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
The way she keeps calling him "SON."

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I've got to ask, where is Fusco in all this?

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
Go Carter!!!

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
Good luck at prep school, Nightwing.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Congratulations kid, you're Robin.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

:hellyeah: Carter is a badass.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Oh gently caress! Shaw you are so screwed.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
OH poo poo

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

OH poo poo!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
OHHHHHHH poo poo

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo Carter. OH poo poo SHAW! Next episode why are you so far away.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
OHHHH poo poo!

terrordactle
Sep 30, 2013
Creepy lady out of nowhere

Garbo
May 30, 2011
Oh goddamn Root and Shaw. Just....poo poo. This was one hell of a 60 minutes.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best
That ending really hit what I don't like about Root; she's literally a super hacker AND a super stealth agent with no reason to be the latter. How can some hacker somehow sneak up on a trained operative and disable them?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

God drat that was an amazing episode. I think the girl may have been my favorite PoI as well, too bad she wasn't in more of the episode.

Garbo
May 30, 2011

Toad King posted:

That ending really hit what I don't like about Root; she's literally a super hacker AND a super stealth agent with no reason to be the latter. How can some hacker somehow sneak up on a trained operative and disable them?

Yeah that part I didnt like. Given how Shaw has acted in the past, i'd assume that she'd booby trap her door or something. On the other hand, maybe she has some cameras in her room or something for the machine to scope out how to best sneak in?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Toad King posted:

She's got the Machine hookup. I don't care for it either, but at least there's a reason for it.

Now let's talk about Joss "Balls of Steel" Carter, she don't gently caress around at all. God drat, that scene.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
OHHHHHHHHHHHHH poo poo!

David loving Slack, ladies and gentlemen; "No Good Deed," "Prisoner's Dilemma," and now THIS. Take a goddamn bow!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH poo poo!

David loving Slack, ladies and gentlemen; "No Good Deed," "Prisoner's Dilemma," and now THIS. Take a goddamn bow!

drat yeah that guy just keeps knocking 'em out of the park. I never really pay enough attention to the people behind the scenes.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Toad King posted:

How can some hacker somehow sneak up on a trained operative and disable them?

A think advice from the Machine trumps Shaw's skill. The Machine knew to take her in while she was asleep. Really Root should not have been able to take on that guy from the government(newspaper editor from House of Cards?) but the machine gives you one hell of an advantage. Go watch God mode episode!

Carter kicks rear end "Son!"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Shaw had been shot, and was recovering from that she was probably pretty weak and passed the gently caress out. Also Root isn't like a super ninja but she has other computer skills which she's learned over the years. I mean she is kind of a super genius.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

DivisionPost posted:

OHHHHHHHHHHHHH poo poo!

I wanna say, also, that he was the one in charge of the rewatch tumblr over the break. Also the writer's room twitter.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
"What do you know about chemistry?"

That look was great.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

LorneReams posted:

"What do you know about chemistry?"

That look was great.

I never watched LOST; was Ben Linus a chemist?

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

^^^
It was this really nice, "What do you mean do I know ch- ooooohhhhhhh heh, yeah" look.

I'm hoping that with next week's episode being Root heavy that finally she'll become interesting enough that I won't feel my heart sink every time the show spends time on her. I've been so underwhelmed but am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt for a decent pay off. Was really hoping she was going to be left in that Mental Hospital never to be seen again though.

Besides all that time spent on Root should be on Fusco's police procedural spin off.

YES
VVV

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Most important news of the night, people.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This show's attention to detail is great; when Finch texted Shaw the address of the doctor who owed them a favor? It was the same guy he gave a duffel bag full of money to patch Reese up after he was shot by the CIA sniper in season one.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

raditts posted:

She's got the Machine hookup. I don't care for it either, but at least there's a reason for it.

Shaw supposedly doesn't even like having cell phones, so I doubt there are any electronics in her place at all. She seems like that type right?

In such a case, can the machine see where there are absolutely no cameras?

Through in this situation, she has a giant window; but my question was more in general, could a secret be kept from the machine?

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I think some secrets can be kept from the machine, but it is unlikely to happen unless the person is trying to do it, I'd guess.

I'm willing to believe Root is able to get the drop on Shaw, especially in demigod mode, and after Shaw had a rough day running around being shot and gassed and learning to feel ten percent human instead of five.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The Machine at this point and I am assuming probably has access to spy satellites. Does anyone know if that is true or not? I mean I think it is.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
It seems like in this episode it also semi-confirmed what there was already an implication of, that in PoI America there's something like the UK's CCTV system in effect, with the government having tons of cameras in most public locations - the HR/russians mentioned a 'map' showing locations with zero surveillance, and Carter mentioned that Jen's apartment complex was a dead zone for the same. It does make sense though, as that sort of thing would be extremely beneficial for the Machine to function, so making it without something like this in place would leave a lot of blind spots for it.

Wolpertinger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 23, 2013

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

ally_1986 posted:

A think advice from the Machine trumps Shaw's skill. The Machine knew to take her in while she was asleep. Really Root should not have been able to take on that guy from the government(newspaper editor from House of Cards?) but the machine gives you one hell of an advantage. Go watch God mode episode!

Carter kicks rear end "Son!"

Yeah from God Mode and the general mythos, the machine can predict human behaviour incredibly well so it's not unbelievable that Root could capture Shaw when her guard is down if the machine told her when and where to go.

I liked that the POI in this episode was also able to help take HR down a notch. I guess the machine doesn't just pick targets at random and that it is trying to covertly patch up our emotionally damaged team.

ally_1986
Apr 3, 2011

Wait...I had something for this...

Kegslayer posted:

I guess the machine doesn't just pick targets at random and that it is trying to covertly patch up our emotionally damaged team.

Why would it want Root to capture Shaw though? Play buddies for a new spin off I hope.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ally_1986 posted:

Why would it want Root to capture Shaw though? Play buddies for a new spin off I hope.

Two sociopathic murderers, teaching each other the true meaning of love and friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Toad King posted:

Root is not good in a stand up fight but very good at making sure it never becomes a stand up fight. Of all the adversaries in POI she did everything solo and despite that was more dangerous then the government, organised crime and multinational spy agencies. Of course with the Machine on her side all bets are off.

The whole episode was loaded with great moments from everyone. Shaw's 'yeah, whatever, I hate kids anyway' on the not-secure line, Reese's big grin before knocking out the drugs guy, Shaw's backstory with an excellently cast Young Shaw and Finch struggling with the analog tapes he had to listen to. I hope we get to see the girl again at a later point, she was infinitely better then last week's POI.

• Locked thread