Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
Grandpa I don't know who put that dent in your walker. Disowning me?

Grandma I would like to be your grandson. Grandpa couldn't afford to continue to be my Grandpa. Oh, Grandpa told you about his walker? I take full responsibility the incident and make no excuses. This was a learning experience: I learned that being a grandson is a team effort and I shouldn't be afraid to ask for help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

So....is your grandfather recovering okay? Was this heart attack a surprise for your family and does he have home health available?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Ms. Happiness posted:

So....is your grandfather recovering okay? Was this heart attack a surprise for your family and does he have home health available?
We've got nurses in the family so he's being taken care of. My aunt's trying to make a schedule so we can all look after him in shifts.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Hey Benny this is a serious post:

Sometimes old people can be a real pain when they're sick or laid up, so don't be surprised if you get a blast of poo poo here and there from grandpa that you weren't expecting. Don't let it frazzle your nerves or freak you out, it's par for the course. It's just part of aging.

fuck the ROW
Aug 29, 2008

by zen death robot

Benny the Snake posted:

We've got nurses in the family so he's being taken care of. My aunt's trying to make a schedule so we can all look after him in shifts.

Does your mom pull a shift too, even as the only wage earner in the family? I bet she does. I bet you're going through a lot of hard times right now OP, and you've got all of us in this thread rooting for you, because you seem like a good guy, that likes his adult comics & watching tv, but doesn't like jobs.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Perhaps you two, you n gramps, could bond over the universal love of comic books. Perhaps watch a TV show you like together?

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
did we finish the Benny ARG? :ohdear: Gramps ok?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I saw him last Saturday and he's fine.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

I saw him last Saturday and he's fine.

Did ya'll figure out the caregiver shifts for him?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Ms. Happiness posted:

Did ya'll figure out the caregiver shifts for him?
Something like that. My aunt is coordinating the effort and I'm on call just in case if they need someone at the last minute.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Hey Benny, maybe now is a great time to start working on some life skills? Help mom out etc., etc.

Do you feel comfortable/know how to, on your own:

Do laundry
Balance a checkbook
Grocery shop within a budget
Make a meal plan
Cook a few simple breakfasts and dinners
Sew a button

And while you're kind focusing right now on mental health, maybe there's some low-key ways you can earn some money and practice responsibility -- like a neighborhood dogwalker/pet sitter, house sitter, help older folks with errands, etc.

I didn't suggest these before since they're not good long-term, move out kinda jobs, but maybe they're good for now?

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
I want to thank whoever posted that duolingo suggestion in this thread.
I took three years of Spanish in high school, 20 years ago. I remember some things (very, very little) about conjugating verbs, and some vocabulary. But this little app is a super fun little tool for killing time. Can you actually learn enough from this to speak to people? I am going to try it out on my bilingual neighbor.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Uncle Salty posted:

I took three years of Spanish in high school, 20 years ago. I remember some things (very, very little) about conjugating verbs, and some vocabulary. But this little app is a super fun little tool for killing time. Can you actually learn enough from this to speak to people? I am going to try it out on my bilingual neighbor.

It's helped me remember what the words are for things. I already speak spanish well enough to have a short conversation but I have to keep stopping to say "como se dice?" and point at stuff

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Uncle Salty posted:

I downloaded it because of this thread, too. Hey language learning buddy!

Mellophant
Jul 28, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

Something like that. My aunt is coordinating the effort and I'm on call just in case if they need someone at the last minute.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I don't think they will be calling you to have as a supervisory role over a sick family member any time soon.

Mellophant fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 27, 2013

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Benny congratulations on the avatar. How is that novel coming along?

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Uncle Salty posted:

Hey that was me!! Awesome, glad people are having some fun learning language.

Duolingo is really cool. It was created by the guy who came up with captchas. Those little "prove you're a human!" steps are actually helping to digitize books, since often time scans of books are garbly and faded and hard for a computer to read. Duolingo is along the same lines- it's a crowdsourcing effort to translate the internet.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Switchback posted:

Hey that was me!! Awesome, glad people are having some fun learning language.

Duolingo is really cool. It was created by the guy who came up with captchas. Those little "prove you're a human!" steps are actually helping to digitize books, since often time scans of books are garbly and faded and hard for a computer to read. Duolingo is along the same lines- it's a crowdsourcing effort to translate the internet.
No kidding, that's awesome. OK, well, I'm helping, I guess. In the meantime, I know how to say "The spider eats bread" in Spanish.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Does this mean benny is going to use his grandpa's declining health as an excuse to not look for work or take his meds? Because we havent heard anything about either.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
So Mom, this random stranger showed up and plowed into grandpa with a shopping cart. I have no idea how this happened, and it definitely wasn't me.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

My mom wants me to take care of grandpa tomorrow but there's a new movie out I need to review, should I tell her I have a hang-over?

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

DamnitGannet posted:

My mom wants me to take care of grandpa tomorrow but there's a new movie out I need to review, should I tell her I have a hang-over?

It is scary but on first read of this post I assumed it was actually Benny.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Benny you still alive?

Do you have another job yet?

How are your meds going?

WE NEED AN UPDATE!

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Ms. Happiness posted:

Benny you still alive?

Do you have another job yet?

How are your meds going?

WE NEED AN UPDATE!
Alright, alright. I'm alive. I have a temp job. Marketing for free tutoring which means canvassing neighborhoods for signatures and applications. Pays $10 an hour but the job is up in the air right now on their end as in they don't know if they want to continue canvasing or not. I can't complain. My meds are going good: my psych upped the dosage for my mood stabilizer and I'm taking it twice daily.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Oct 4, 2013

GodsGiftToWomen
Jan 26, 2004
Providing women with sexual pleasure since 1983
Gun Saliva
Good job on keeping up with the meds and even rolling through with an adjustment. Keep up the efforts on the job search!

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

Alright, alright. I'm alive. I have a temp job. Marketing for free tutoring which means canvassing neighborhoods for signatures and applications. Pays $10 an hour but the job is up in the air right now on their end as in they don't know if they want to continue canvasing or not. I can't complain.

You can and should complain. Not complain, but ask. Show some concern. Find out if you can get some references. Start networking. If the company is planning on boxing you out, you might as well leave with some valuables.

Seriously, you don't want this to be another job you gain 0 value from.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Hooray, Benny. You're moving forward.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE

OMG JC a Bomb! posted:

So Mom, this random stranger showed up and plowed into grandpa with a shopping cart. I have no idea how this happened, and it definitely wasn't me.

Oh i shouldnt lagh but i did....

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Catching up after a long absence. This is some of best and most effective writing Benny's done:

Benny the Snake posted:

My grandpa understands English and I understand enough Spanish to comprehend what he's saying so it's like a Han/Chewie kind of thing.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Benny boo boo it's been a while, how's it going?

There is a job posting over in BFC's job posting thread that you might be interested in, if you still want to be a writer.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Switchback posted:

Benny boo boo it's been a while, how's it going?

There is a job posting over in BFC's job posting thread that you might be interested in, if you still want to be a writer.
Applying to jobs like mad. Good news is I'm no longer paranoid: bad news is I'm lethargic. I sleep in 'till 11 now and there are days where I'll nap for five hours straight. I'm going to see a new psychiatrist and talk to him about the lethargy. I swear it must be the meds.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!
Ulillillia got a job today, you can too!

Serious post: Yeah, I remember adjusting to some anti-depressants that caused that kind of lethargy. I would basically go to sleep as soon as I got home from work every day; on weekends, I'd probably only be awake for like 6-8 hours a day. Definitely speak to your doctor about it. It might end up being something that fades after time (in my case it did after about a month).

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Benny the Snake posted:

Applying to jobs like mad. Good news is I'm no longer paranoid: bad news is I'm lethargic. I sleep in 'till 11 now and there are days where I'll nap for five hours straight. I'm going to see a new psychiatrist and talk to him about the lethargy. I swear it must be the meds.

Did something happen that's caused you to not be able to see your old one anymore?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

That drat Satyr posted:

Did something happen that's caused you to not be able to see your old one anymore?
Well it's more like I feel that my current one isn't addressing my needs. Meanwhile I'm going to do some reading. Any book recommendations? Right now I'm reading Gibson but next I'm thinking Steinbeck. I haven't read any of his works.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 24, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Try reading the jobs section of your local newspaper.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I just love that colon.

PurePerfection
Nov 28, 2007

Benny the Snake posted:

Well it's more like I feel that my current one isn't addressing my needs.

This is a good decision, assuming you first gave yourself a few weeks to adjust to the meds and expressed your concerns about them to your current doctor, who didn't address them appropriately. I think that too many people continue to see the same mental health professional when they're on a course of treatment that isn't effective and their complaints aren't taken seriously. I hope your next psychiatrist has a better solution for you.

Lethargy is a really common side effect of this kind of medication, even when it's a drug that has the potential to help you a lot. Sometimes your body will adjust to it after a few weeks and you'll feel better. Sometimes just changing the dosage, rather than switching to something else, can fix the problem. Make sure you're speaking up to your doctor and being specific about what bothers you and why.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Benny the Snake posted:

Any book recommendations?

Have you ever heard of Ayn Rand?

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH
Stay away from books with too many words. Do you have any that tell a story by putting a series of drawings in little squares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

Benny the Snake posted:

Well it's more like I feel that my current one isn't addressing my needs. Meanwhile I'm going to do some reading. Any book recommendations? Right now I'm reading Gibson but next I'm thinking Steinbeck. I haven't read any of his works.

I'd recommend The Little Engine That Could for some inspirational times, OP.

• Locked thread