Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Winkie01 posted:

Only about 9% completed with the game. Is there a tutorial somewhere the lists the best way to make money/ which are the best places to buy etc etc.?

If you're looking for early money (because ideally you're not going to waste stock tips on $50k in your bank), the options before the first heist are mostly:

-store robberies, there are 19 (?) stores you can rob for a few hundred bucks each
-ambushing armored cars for like 4000-8000, but these are random events so they don't always spawn when you need them
-running down ATM robbers and keeping the money (usually 500 bucks) instead of returning it - also not reliable since those are random events too

The first heist is a significant cash infusion for Michael and to a lesser extent for Franklin. The first assassination mission is mandatory and you have to do it some time in that phase in which you're not making any money from other missions at all, that should leave you with enough to get ammo, guns and some car upgrades. Michael's Epsilon missions (I don't know when you can start them) also have an optional payout at the end which more than compensates for the money you spend on buying into Not-Scientology in the first place.

At this point in the game you can also buy properties but none of them will be profitable before you lose interest in the game (eg. it takes 22 ingame weeks for the pot shop to be profitable, or 300 tows, or 22+ airfield drug runs). The submarine dock is the exception, you spend 250k and the nuclear waste collection nets 940k if you get them all (will take roughly three hours though). Don't buy properties for the money, you'll be disappointed.

After that first assassination mission you can do the remaining ones at any time to get more money if you use the stock tips in the 2nd post. Waiting until after the last heist (which is by far the biggest money source in the whole game) is only necessary if you want to get near the 2.1 billion money cap and/or buy all the expensive properties (cinemas, country club) for some reason.

orcane fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
The Grand Theft Auto V Easter Egg Hunt!

Haven't seen it brought up really, so I figured I'd do a run down for those who aren't fully aware of it.

The Mural
This mural is found inside the Cable Car shed on Mt. Chiliad.

Time for a quick run down of what we know:

The Eye
The red eye at hovering over the mountain, is actually found on top underneath the the observation deck. If you look around the observation deck, you'll find this:

The 5 X boxes
If you line up the cable car wire with the center line on the mural, you will find 5 glyphs refered to as "clues" in the files.

The X's may also be each 20% of the game you complete, as there's 5 categories you need to finish, and everything from here on requires your game to be 100%.

Following the clues, you'll find.

The First "Reward" Box - The UFOS

Mount Chiliad
In order to see this UFO, you need to be ontop of the mountain at 3am while it's raining. It's refereed to as a "hologram" among the easter egg hunt community, as it can be shot through with rockets.

Hippie Camp
It's always there, flying at the highest altitude.

Fort Zancudo
Flies high above the bunker located between two hangers. Gives off a light show on the bunker before it can be see at 3 am.

Paleto Bay
This can be seen before 100%, it's found north underneath the ocean.

The Second "Reward" Box - The Egg
We have no idea. Epsilon mentions a lot of things about eggs. Paleto Bay is an egg town. But code parsing did find us this:
code:
gta5\props\lev_des\lev_des_rpf\prop_alien_egg_01.xdr :
 prop_eggprop_egg_alpha
 prop_emmisive_anim3
 prop_alien_egg_01.
 Prop_Alien_Egg_01
 prop_egg_alpha_n
 prop_egg_alpha
I personally believe we're stuck until we can find this prop in game. If it's in a cutscene, great. We just need to find what and where this thing is before we can put the nails into the easter egg hunt coffin. No textures or anything can be nabbed from it with current tools, so until we can actually view the model, code parsing won't do us much good.

The Third "Reward" Box - The "Jetpack"
We know even less about what this box means, but once again, code parsing found us this:

code:
gta5\props\lev_des\lev_des_rpf\p_secret_weapon_02.xdr :
 prop_chrome_dirty_02 - Texture - [url]http://i.imgur.com/Dm7mzCM.png[/url]
 p_secret_weapon_02.
 p_crate_weapon_01_n
 prop_wood_plank_05 - Texture - [url]http://i.imgur.com/FrVoj5q.png[/url]
 P_SECRET_WEAPON_02
 p_crate_weapon_01
 prop_strap_01
Yet another prop hunt, but this one has two textures!

But I'm new, what can I do?

Start anywhere but the UFOs. All the UFOs have been found and no one has been able to interact with them in any way, so remove them from the picture. They were just one of the "rewards" for 100% in my opinion. Check them out if you haven't though, as they're awesome as hell.

We need this egg, and we need clues towards it. Anything "Egg" related may be important, so something with Epsilon is definitely a possibility. If we can find this Alien Egg mentioned, we can either solve the mystery, or put it to rest completely.

But without direction I'll feel like Ron!

I've got two things that I feel need more investigation:

Richard's Majestic Movie Studio
A user named Woovie first posted some coordinates (-1124.392,-514.7001,33.21493) quite some time ago when the game was first parsed through. Once mapping tools were created, we found out it points to the movie studio. He took it from the ambient_ufos file, but no one has been able to verify them, as they don't match up to any of the other script coordinates located in other files, unlike his first two posted. Without the mapping tools, the chances that he faked them to point to something that contains aliens and astronaut actors on a spy film set is fairly slim to none. So perhaps it may hold a clue.

Coordinate map

Or help research:

CB Radio
Trevor can pick up CB radio signals while in his truck and a few other vehicles. This much is known, but there has been 0 research into this, as everyone seems to blow it off. We could use some mapping of the areas that CB radio signals show up, what time of day, everything. No subtitles can be found for them, and if they're real, they're hard to find in the hours of sound files.

Chippita fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 23, 2013

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I made a separate thread about this here. It's just not very active because there have, let's be honest, been no discoveries of any note in weeks.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
God I love this game.

Fired up online to screw around, grabbed a helicopter and was hopping from convenience store to convenience store. Getting into the outskirts of the western side of the map, I noticed two other players riding together trying to shake some 3-star cops and failing pretty hard at it. So I decided to set the chopper down near them in the hopes they'd get the idea to get in, and help them lose their tail. They must've been on the same wave-length because they hopped right in.

As soon as I took off the police chopper slammed into us, sending us careening into a building and killing all 3 of us. When we all respawned they ran up to me and beat me mercilessly with baseball bats.

I couldn't stop laughing.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine

No Mods No Masters posted:

I made a separate thread about this here. It's just not very active because there have, let's be honest, been no discoveries of any note in weeks.

Looked for a thread, but couldn't find it, My Bad!

Though perhaps we'll get some new blood on the hunt who might just have the eyes to see what we're missing.

Kid Gloves
Jul 31, 2013

by XyloJW
There's also a subreddit and they figured out a ton of stuff but there doesn't appear to be an "ending" at this point.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

orcane posted:

If you're looking for early money (because ideally you're not going to waste stock tips on $50k in your bank), the options before the first heist are mostly:

-store robberies, there are 19 (?) stores you can rob for a few hundred bucks each
-ambushing armored cars for like 4000-8000, but these are random events so they don't always spawn when you need them
-running down ATM robbers and keeping the money (usually 500 bucks) instead of returning it - also not reliable since those are random events too

The first heist is a significant cash infusion for Michael and to a lesser extent for Franklin. The first assassination mission is mandatory and you have to do it some time in that phase in which you're not making any money from other missions at all, that should leave you with enough to get ammo, guns and some car upgrades. Michael's Epsilon missions (I don't know when you can start them) also have an optional payout at the end which more than compensates for the money you spend on buying into Not-Scientology in the first place.

Something I haven't seen answered or havent' been able to find an answer: How long should one wait until after the Hotel Assassination is completed? Is it time or is it a number of missions you should wait to cash out? I have only seen answers that say it maxes out at ~80% increase.

Edit: I just finished Trevor's recon mission at the docks and the increase has remained stead at ~33 or ~39% and Rate Percentage of 50%

geeves fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 23, 2013

GomJabbar
Jul 25, 2013

by The Finn
I'd really love a heist DLC that lets me level up the side characters that you can bring on heists.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

GomJabbar posted:

I'd really love a heist DLC that lets me level up the side characters that you can bring on heists.

Heist DLC where you can do heists with the 3 single player characters and your online character together would be awesome.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, it'll be a real shame if they don't do any more single-player DLC. The heist mechanic, especially with the upgrade-able NPCs, just seems like it has so much potential for how little it's used. Maybe they can add DLC that has gameplay elements for both SP and MP? I dunno, just wishful thinking :ohdear:

Question about Ammu-Nation; I have no idea how, but at some point I unlocked the assault SMG (the one that looks like the RC-P90 from Goldeneye) and now it's permanently a free weapon with free upgrades, even on new games. It seems to occupy an 'extra' space on the store's side wall by itself that is completely invisible until I enter the buy screen (unlike the stuff on the wall behind the shopkeep that is fully visible at all times, but grayed out if the weapon isn't purchasable yet) and is the only thing on that wall. Are there more unlockables that I'm totally overlooking? I just did the third heist (the FIB one where you attack the armored car with all three guys in masks, if that's even considered a heist) and it's still sitting there by itself.

Is it tied to firing range medals? Is it totally random? Is it unused space for future DLC? I would look it up but I'm hoping to avoid any spoilers and the wiki is lousy with 'em.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You get certain weapons for registering on the social club and having the special/collector edition. They are always free.

Sapient Afro
Jan 22, 2012

Well, you threatened to shove a knife up his dickhole.

Is there any way to force a private fare mission? I've been driving around aimlessly for about a half hour and nothing.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
How does one go about stealing a tank from the military base? I just get shot to pieces before I can get close......

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

geeves posted:

Something I haven't seen answered or havent' been able to find an answer: How long should one wait until after the Hotel Assassination is completed? Is it time or is it a number of missions you should wait to cash out? I have only seen answers that say it maxes out at ~80% increase.

Edit: I just finished Trevor's recon mission at the docks and the increase has remained stead at ~33 or ~39% and Rate Percentage of 50%
For me it went up to 81% after sleeping three or four times, but if you save/load the payout will be lower and some people reported difficulties getting the stocks to move in other assassinations as well, so there might be some sort of bug to it.

Wolfsheim posted:

Yeah, it'll be a real shame if they don't do any more single-player DLC. The heist mechanic, especially with the upgrade-able NPCs, just seems like it has so much potential for how little it's used. Maybe they can add DLC that has gameplay elements for both SP and MP? I dunno, just wishful thinking :ohdear:
Yeah the heists were really disappointing to me, you get, 2-3 heists to use the same people with, and in several of them "low skills guy" will simply die, not level up and be an asset next time. Too bad about that reported "no singleplayer DLC" thing :(

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.

Wolfsheim posted:

Question about the random mugger encounters; outside of giving the one guy his back bike, is it ever worth it to not just kill the robber and take the money for yourself? Even the characters seem to point out how bizarre it is that they're returning it, and I haven't once been given an actual reward. GTAV may be the first game where playing as immorally as possible yields the most benefits (unlike every RPG ever and even GTAIV, where any moral choice that came up had the correct 'good' option).

Yes, I had Franklin give a wallet back and a day or so later got an e-mail saying he was from a super successful start-up company and gave me 100,000 shares. They actually went up a little bit and I sold them for about $110,000.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Dravs posted:

Yes, I had Franklin give a wallet back and a day or so later got an e-mail saying he was from a super successful start-up company and gave me 100,000 shares. They actually went up a little bit and I sold them for about $110,000.

Sure that wasn't the dude that you give the bike back to? I personally haven't seen any reason to give back lost money because you always lose 80%.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
drat you stock market!

Last week I said, gently caress it, Ammunation seems to have reached its peak, let's divest that stock and pick up some others. Both Badger and ZIT were precipitously sliding, and at about 40 or so. How low could they go?

Yesterday they were at 8, and 3. :cry:

Doubled down on my investments. They have to turn around, right? RIGHT?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Investing is always playing the long game, if you want to be successful. Doubly so in a fake marketplace.

Short term speculation will always leave you with short term losses.

There's a reason why real-life speculators employ automated trading programs with reaction times measured in nanoseconds.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

graventy posted:

I'm guessing that since the stocks aren't really affected by anything other than a few specific missions, outside of those missions (i.e if you aren't doing them) most of them just go up and down and back up and back down again at varying speeds, so it's simply a matter of waiting long enough. It's not like Badger or whatever is eventually going to go out of business or go stagnant.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The more I think of Franklin's assassination missions, the more I wonder how frigging GTA could get this mainly right and the latest Hitman couldn't. Seriously, here's a target, he'll be coming by to pick up his hooker, think of a creative way to kill him. This isn't brain surgery.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

The more I think of Franklin's assassination missions, the more I wonder how frigging GTA could get this mainly right and the latest Hitman couldn't. Seriously, here's a target, he'll be coming by to pick up his hooker, think of a creative way to kill him. This isn't brain surgery.

They feel more like properly done Assassins Creed missions to me than Hitman.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

I just wish they would throw randomly generated targets up after the handful of fully "designed" hits were completed.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Today I decided to hang out with Jimmy as Michael, thinking it would be funny to get them drunk together. I looked on the map and was a little disappointed that the bars were disabled, though I understood why. The best part is, even though you can't visit them, they still have the "There's a bar nearby, want to get some drinks?" dialogue for Jimmy, only to have Michael to shoot him down in response, saying he's not comfortable with it. I think that sort of thing is pretty neat.

Got my first eagle in golf today, on the first hole too! Too bad I screwed up a couple of other holes royally. :( Like I say, I've been playing that silly golf game far too much.

Travelling around the hills, you might notice that there are little tourist boards dotted around showing nearby trails and stuff. It's hard to read them, but I think they're another really cool touch. There's one by Lago Zancudo, just south of the army base, that talks about local wildlife. It has pictures and info not only about coyotes and deer, but beavers and bears too... which makes me sad because I liked the inclusion of bears in Red Dead Redemption and they're not in this game... as far as I know!

EDIT: To be fair, there are bears in 'Convoy'.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I got a hole in one on in golf my first time playing and the game bugged out and reset my ball back to the tee and added a stroke. I'm not sure they even tested that as a possibility.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

graventy posted:

drat you stock market!

Last week I said, gently caress it, Ammunation seems to have reached its peak, let's divest that stock and pick up some others. Both Badger and ZIT were precipitously sliding, and at about 40 or so. How low could they go?

Yesterday they were at 8, and 3. :cry:

I think Pisswasser is too high for now but try Hawk and Little

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

sirbeefalot posted:

I just wish they would throw randomly generated targets up after the handful of fully "designed" hits were completed.

Yeah that would have been fun. Spawn NPC/Target somewhere in the world engaging in X activity, figure out a way to kill him.

Iriquois
Jun 6, 2013

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah that would have been fun. Spawn NPC/Target somewhere in the world engaging in X activity, figure out a way to kill him.

That entire sequence of throwaway missions was the only thing seriously increased the singleplayer longevity for me. I wish there had been more, and that I had realised the stock impact sooner.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I think they really thought GTAO would stand in for the "endless TLAD gang wars" missions kind of thing. I don't even remember if those were actually endless.

My connection is hosed so I've been playing the "closed session" version of online and I can see the jobs and whatnot that you get in there being a good replacement for that...but most of them are designed for 2-4 people at least and I'm only level 8, running around with poo poo weapons. I'm willing to keep trying though, and having actual difficult missions with restrictions on what weapons you have has it's own kind of charm.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I think they really thought GTAO would stand in for the "endless TLAD gang wars" missions kind of thing. I don't even remember if those were actually endless.

My connection is hosed so I've been playing the "closed session" version of online and I can see the jobs and whatnot that you get in there being a good replacement for that...but most of them are designed for 2-4 people at least and I'm only level 8, running around with poo poo weapons. I'm willing to keep trying though, and having actual difficult missions with restrictions on what weapons you have has it's own kind of charm.

You could try setting up an invite session with a goon and then repeatedly swapping race victories, provided your connection can handle that. It's an incredibly easy way to rank up/get cash/unlock cool stuff, and only takes like... I dunno, two hours at the absolute maximum? I'm probably overestimating, I was drunk while doing it.

Other than that Survival in the Boneyard can be ground.. grinded... used for XP quite easily by hiding between the white trailer and red wall. You'll hoover up tons of ammo for any guns you already own, never buy owned-gun ammo.

e: I realize this doesn't solve the "playing online" issue, but at least you can make the numbers go up v:shobon:v

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

I think Pisswasser is too high for now but try Hawk and Little

PIS is reaching its all-time high, and going from $135 to $150 isn't going to do as much as $5 to $20, or $20 to $35, etc. I'm moving into ZIT as soon as it turns positive. Because I don't trust Rockstar to not have a bankruptcy option to screw single-stock investors and have it keep going down to $0.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Sono posted:

PIS is reaching its all-time high, and going from $135 to $150 isn't going to do as much as $5 to $20, or $20 to $35, etc. I'm moving into ZIT as soon as it turns positive. Because I don't trust Rockstar to not have a bankruptcy option to screw single-stock investors and have it keep going down to $0.

So make two saves. The stock market won't ruin you unless you are completely careless.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

So make two saves. The stock market won't ruin you unless you are completely careless.

Totally forgot about that option. Thanks.

(Also forgot that it doesn't matter, since I already have hundreds of millions on each single player character.)

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Ok, I'm a moron or bad at videogames or something. How the hell do I activate the thermal imaging camera on an xbox for the Eye in the Sky quest. I can't find it on any walkthrough site and the game doesn't seem to tell me how and all I've figured out is that Y will make me jump out of the helicopter. Please help.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Press right on the d-pad.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Really? poo poo, I was sure I'd tried all of those. Thanks!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Okay, maybe I'm an idiot but how do I fly at any appreciable speed in a helicopter?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lizard Wizard posted:

Okay, maybe I'm an idiot but how do I fly at any appreciable speed in a helicopter?

Press forward on the left stick.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Press forward on the left stick.

Really? I was under the impression that would send me careening into the ground.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Lizard Wizard posted:

Really? I was under the impression that would send me careening into the ground.

The "trick" is to tilt forward while holding the right trigger. Because of your angle, instead of going straight up you will go forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClearAirTurbulence
Apr 20, 2010
The earth has music for those who listen.

The Dave posted:

Sure that wasn't the dude that you give the bike back to? I personally haven't seen any reason to give back lost money because you always lose 80%.

It refills your special ability bar completely. When I need to fill mine I just cruise around until I come across one of those crimes. I guess it's not worth doing early in the game, but when you have a few million it's often worth the 80% of cash to have a full special bar.

• Locked thread