Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Cactrot posted:

http://www.channelfireball.com/home/spoiler-spotlight-nykthos-shrine-to-nyx/

It's the second part of the article. Nykthos, hidden strings, nivix guildmage, steam vents and 2 islands (and a couple of permanents) can net you infinite mana.
Triton Tactics on elite arcanist + mana dork(zhur taa druid being the best in this case for the pings) can create infinite mana. Can also use guilded lotus, voyaging satyr, verdant haven, etc.

I saw someone play with 2-3 infinite combos in their deck and while its very inconsistent its certainly fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Korak posted:

Triton Tactics on elite arcanist + mana dork(zhur taa druid being the best in this case for the pings) can create infinite mana. Can also use guilded lotus, voyaging satyr, verdant haven, etc.

I saw someone play with 2-3 infinite combos in their deck and while its very inconsistent its certainly fun to watch. I'd be interested to see if its possible for deck like mono black splashing blue to put this combo in to make huge corrupts. It does dilate your deck by a few cards, but it adds a really nasty alt wincon. Worse case you put a doom blade on elite arcanist and try to milk it for value.

Please read the friendly card :3:.

U/G also has potential but lacks engine compactness. The Elite Arcanist combo is just way too fragile.

vvv Yeah that's what the decks that already exist do but infinite combos are cool okay.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 22, 2013

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Seems like mono green with Voyaging Satyr, a Nykthos, and 5 or 6 devotion of the board would be enough to dump out a pile of big stuff for a lethal swing next turn.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I have a confession to make. I went from Bant Hexproof last season to this. I'm constantly loving up decisions because I spent so long playing an autopilot deck. I don't even understand how I placed at a small FNM last week, much less had no match losses. I'm having fun doing odd things to people.

Other MURDERGOATERS, what's been the reaction of the people you've played against?

I've had more than one person ask why the hell I was trading for foil trading posts.

Then I flung flaming goats at their face. They laughed, I laughed, it's a good deck and a good time.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
MURDERGOATS.dec users: back on MTGSalvation where I found the original decklist, some user has posted a version that utilizes Pack Rat, and I think it's a great idea.

It's an out for extra copies of Purphoros and Tymaret, as well as an additional sac outlet for Post/Murder King.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Just need some snakes and dragons in there and you can start calling the deck Chinese Zodiac.

Eleeleth
Jun 21, 2009

Damn, that is one suave eel.
I run Stormbreath Dragon in my version! Pretty sure I could run a few Erebos's Emissaries as a discard outlet and make the Chinese Zodiac dream a reality. :v:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Too bad Orphiomancer (creates a 1/1 Deathtouch Snake token every turn if you control no snakes) from Commander 2013 isn't Standard-legal. :sigh:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Eleeleth posted:

I've had more than one person ask why the hell I was trading for foil trading posts.

Then I flung flaming goats at their face. They laughed, I laughed, it's a good deck and a good time.
Are any of you murdergoaters running chandra's phoenix for the synergy between being able to recall it when you cast an instant/sorcery?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Korak posted:

Are any of you murdergoaters running chandra's phoenix for the synergy between being able to recall it when you cast an instant/sorcery?

The deck doesn't run enough burn that domes to make it useful. Remember Phoenix doesn't show up off just any instant or sorcery.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I don't know why people are playing Weird's in their RDW's. I would much rather play Radkos Shredfreak's. Also thinking about boarding Elictricity as a Master of Waves hate card. Talk me down?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

mcmagic posted:

I don't know why people are playing Weird's in their RDW's. I would much rather play Radkos Shredfreak's.

Ash Zealot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

I'm talking about in addition to 4 Ash's.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

He's talking about blocking ash zealots.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It's good versus Ash Zealot. It's also a single card that swings for 4 power post-wrath, giving you an immediate threat that demands a 1:1 answer or the opponent is right back in the hole.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

It's good versus Ash Zealot. It's also a single card that swings for 4 power post-wrath, giving you an immediate threat that demands a 1:1 answer or the opponent is right back in the hole.

I feel like by the time I have extra mana to start pumping the Weird, I've already won or lost the game with this deck...

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I feel like by the time I have extra mana to start pumping the Weird, I've already won or lost the game with this deck...
Firebreathing is really good, you don't need "extra mana" to pump the weird, if you're playing with a 1 drop, weird, and 3 mountains, you goldfish turn 6, with 19 damage by turn 5. That's not bad at all if you're waiting for someone to drop a wrath.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Algid posted:

Firebreathing is really good, you don't need "extra mana" to pump the weird, if you're playing with a 1 drop, weird, and 3 mountains, you goldfish turn 6, with 19 damage by turn 5. That's not bad at all if you're waiting for someone to drop a wrath.

I'd rather have a Shredfreak in my hand to play post verdict though.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Algid posted:

He's talking about blocking ash zealots.

No I meant that Ash Zealot is better than either Rakdos Shred-Freak or Frostburn Weird.

I think people running Weird are trying to maximize versatility. Weird can block or attack (with mana) effectively, whereas Shred-Freak is pretty much just an early Haste swing for a turn or 2.

Personally I don't run any of those in my new RDW deck. I have 4 Gore-house Chainwalkers and 4 Firefist Strikers instead because Chainwalker is 3/2 for 2 and Firefist negates their biggest blocker. Also I can Burning-Tree into both of them. Then again I'm not maximizing devotion. 4 BTE + 4 Boros Reckoner is plenty of devotion for when Fanatic of Mogis hits.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Yeah, Ash Zealot and Shred-Freak both don't play nice with BTE (a fact that allowed me to win at least 2 mirror matches by pooping my hand out faster), but I've seen Frostburn Weird out of many boards as an answer to both the mirror and control decks packing wrath.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

mcmagic posted:

I'd rather have a Shredfreak in my hand to play post verdict though.
Post verdict they hit for the same damage across 2 turns, with weird coming ahead every turn after. Not that I don't appreciate haste, but I'm not playing either card right now. The 2 drop spot is crowded enough as is, and I'm playing RG (mainly for rampager).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Tharizdun posted:

Yeah, Ash Zealot and Shred-Freak both don't play nice with BTE (a fact that allowed me to win at least 2 mirror matches by pooping my hand out faster), but I've seen Frostburn Weird out of many boards as an answer to both the mirror and control decks packing wrath.

I'm perfectly fine playing a BTE on turn 3. Playing a hammer off of it is pretty awesome.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Soothing Cacophony posted:

How does Path of Bravery do for you? Do you end up siding it out a lot? I love anthems and I completely forgot that one existed. It seems like it'd be really easy to turn off, especially for a midrange deck, but if it works, it seems killer. I might have to throw together a WW list with that card, cause having Spear and Path active sounds right up my alley (WW is the best deck).

Thanks for asking because this is a conversation I tend to have a lot at my LGS and its the primary way my deck differs from most of the WW or WW splash for Boros Charm decks that are out there.

First we need to address the "Win More" label. I am opposed to playing cards which are strictly "Win More," e.g. cards that help you win faster or bigger when you were already going to win. While at first glance Path of Bravery (which has the unfortunate tendency to be confused with both Brave the Elements and Path to Exile in conversation) is a "win more" card, I don't think it holds true. Its certainly not going to save you when you are at 8 and behind on board, but honestly few cards will with White Weenie (generally the cards that will save you in this situation are either First Strikers or Banisher Priests if your opponent has no removal).

Your desired curve out is to play a 1 drop, a 2 drop, and an anthem, with a mutavault being one of your land drops along the way. Many decks can not deal with this level of pressure, and even if they do wipe your board, you've only lost two creatures and still have more in your hand, while your threat modifier persists.

Path of Bravery lets you turn minor advantages into landslides, and minor disadvantages into parity. Even in games where the anthem effect is never live, the life gain can easily be the difference between a win or a loss. It also places the onus on your opponent to do whatever they can to keep your life total below 20, even if it means making sub-optimal plays. Its a persistent anthem effect, and WW has to take what it can get when it comes to these. Right now the better anthem is Legendary, so I won't run more than two of them. I've always contended that in a weenie/token deck the "correct" number of anthems is between 5 and 6, so that leaves me with Path of Bravery.

I rarely side it out, only when I am on the draw and then usually only against decks I know have an insane amount of spot removal (10+) or decks which I know I have no reasonable expectation of staying near 20 (RDW). I never ever side it out in the mirror match. WW mirror matches in my experience are almost always decided by who lands an anthem first.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

bhsman posted:

MURDERGOATS.dec users: back on MTGSalvation where I found the original decklist, some user has posted a version that utilizes Pack Rat, and I think it's a great idea.

It's an out for extra copies of Purphoros and Tymaret, as well as an additional sac outlet for Post/Murder King.

Read the bones is probably the worst card in the 75 from glancing at it. I can see what he's going for with this, but it's not efficient enough. I'll try to cook something up along these lines when I get home.

Edit: MURDERPOST isn't a bad name either.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 23, 2013

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does anybody plan a deck first as 75 cards, then arranges them into main and side? It's something I'm doing now for WB midrange. I see lists on CFB often given as "the 75" so wondered if that was how they did it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does anybody plan a deck first as 75 cards, then arranges them into main and side? It's something I'm doing now for WB midrange. I see lists on CFB often given as "the 75" so wondered if that was how they did it.

Typically you don't pick your sideboard cards the same way you build your maindeck - sideboard cards want to be high-impact in at least some matchups, with general uselessness in other matchups being the reason they're relegated to the board. Maindeck cards want to be useful against most of the field. If you make your sideboard out of maindeck cards that weren't quite good enough to make the cut, chances are they're still not better than the rest of your maindeck for games 2 and 3, so it's not a very useful sideboard.

If you have cards that are generally useful but are particularly powerful in one matchup, you might say "I'm definitely putting this in the side if it doesn't make the cut main", but that's about the only case I can think of.

After you've built your deck and sideboard, you also might consider "pre-sideboarding" against a popular deck that you really want to beat game 1, especially if your answers to that deck aren't complete blanks against the rest of the field.

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

Deck: UR Cheapo

//Lands
6 Island
4 Izzet Guildgate
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
4 Izzet Charm
2 Jace, Memory Adept
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Steam Augury
2 Swan Song
2 Syncopate
4 Turn // Burn

//Creatures
4 Nivix Cyclops
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

Display deck statistics

//Sideboard
2 Essence Scatter
3 Frostburn Weird
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Negate
3 Nightveil Specter
3 Ratchet Bomb

I've been playing with this one online for a bit now and I think I've gotten the groove down. The Jace, Memory Adept is the newest addition and I think works better in the mainboard than the "better" Jace since you still get the draw option but can also mill 10 cards for a sweet pump on the Chimera. This deck is a blast to play, sometimes running like aggro and sometimes running more like control. I feel like it's got some good potential since every play is beneficial in more ways than one. Let me know what you guys think of this!

I based this off of this article which was linked to me by a goon in this thread last week: http://puremtgo.com/articles/standard-budget-23-auguries-steam

Lonely Bridge fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 23, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Jimmeeee posted:

Hi all, I took the advice you posted about my MBC deck last week and made some changes to it. I also switched some things around based on the MBC decks that made top 8 this last weekend. The deck is hoping to keep opponents' threats off the board and then go crazy with Pack Rat, Desecration Demon, or Gray Merchant (or, in a perfect world, all three).

Feed the Animals

4 Pack Rat
4 Nightveil Specter
3 Lifebane Zombie
3 Desecration Demon
4 Gray Merchant
2 Erebos
=20 Creatures

4 Doom Blade
3 Hero's Downfall
2 Duress
2 Thoughtseize
4 Underworld Connections
2 Whip of Erebos
1 Liliana of the Dark Realms
=18 Spells

2 Nykthos
20 Swamp
=22 Lands

Sideboard
1 Lifebane Zombie
3 Pharika's Cure
2 Illness in the Ranks
3 Devour Flesh
1 Pithing Needle
3 Thrill-Kill Assassin
2 Ratchet Bomb

I'm a fan of this list, I have something similar that I've been meaning to build that I posted earlier. It's more focused around Pack Rat but if I get serious about building it maybe that will change? I'm also running Dark Prophecy for an extra bit of devotion and for an auto-refill whenever a Pack Rat token dies. Here it is, though I want to switch a few things around, like maindecking the Zombies and SB-ing the Slumlords and a Lili for starters. The SB sucks in general and needs work, I guess. The list is from before monoblack caught on so I have to look and see what parts I can steal from proven decklists.

Deck: Untitled Deck
Display deck statistics

Also holy poo poo, when did Hero's Downfall go over $10?

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 23, 2013

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lonely Bridge posted:

Deck: UR Cheapo

//Lands
6 Island
4 Izzet Guildgate
8 Mountain
4 Steam Vents

//Spells
4 Izzet Charm
2 Jace, Memory Adept
4 Lightning Strike
4 Magma Jet
4 Steam Augury
2 Swan Song
2 Syncopate
4 Turn // Burn

//Creatures
4 Nivix Cyclops
4 Spellheart Chimera
4 Young Pyromancer

Display deck statistics

//Sideboard
2 Essence Scatter
3 Frostburn Weird
1 Jace, Architect of Thought
2 Mizzium Mortars
1 Negate
3 Nightveil Specter
3 Ratchet Bomb

I've been playing with this one online for a bit now and I think I've gotten the groove down. The Jace, Memory Adept is the newest addition and I think works better in the mainboard than the "better" Jace since you still get the draw option but can also mill 10 cards for a sweet pump on the Chimera. This deck is a blast to play, sometimes running like aggro and sometimes running more like control. I feel like it's got some good potential since every play is beneficial in more ways than one. Let me know what you guys think of this!

I based this off of this article which was linked to me by a goon in this thread last week: http://puremtgo.com/articles/standard-budget-23-auguries-steam

All of the Izzet decks I've conjured up post-rotation have been red-focused. So, I decided to started to think of primarily blue versions. Instead of Steam Augury being the primary draw (I would still run 2 or 3), I was thinking of 4 x Quicken and 4 x Divination w/ Goblin Electromancer support. The rest would be lightning strikes, magma jets, and counterspells.

(As a side note, I don't like Swan Song being in this deck. The swan is relevant since it is a flier, even with Spellheart having trample.)

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
I've had a poo poo week at work so far. I decided November's extra paycheck could alleviate some of this and I just ordered MURDERGOATS!.dec from tcgplayer.

Any tips on when to swing and when to sac and what hands to keep/mull?

Lonely Bridge
Apr 12, 2008

AlternateNu posted:

I don't like Swan Song being in this deck.

Oh buddy, we aren't giving them the swan :getin:

Seriously though, it can lead to some ridiculous board states when you've got a Pyromancer + Cyclops down and cast something like Lightning Strike > Syncopate (x=0) > Swan Song.

Plus having the backup counter in serious "Oh poo poo" situations is nice.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Read the bones is probably the worst card in the 75 from glancing at it. I can see what he's going for with this, but it's not efficient enough. I'll try to cook something up along these lines when I get home.

In fairness, his was the last post in that thread is about 2-3 weeks, so he probably hasn't had the same access as everyone in this thread to people's experience with the deck, which is why he still has Read the Bones.

quote:

Edit: MURDERPOST isn't a bad name either.

It's not, MURDERGOATS is just better. :3::hf::black101:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lonely Bridge posted:

Oh buddy, we aren't giving them the swan :getin:

Seriously though, it can lead to some ridiculous board states when you've got a Pyromancer + Cyclops down and cast something like Lightning Strike > Syncopate (x=0) > Swan Song.

Plus having the backup counter in serious "Oh poo poo" situations is nice.

Haha. Whenever I was testing that type of stuff, I never had three cards to just blow on weird poo poo like that.

I need to make more fun Izzet decks. :v:

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

End of Life Guy posted:

I've had a poo poo week at work so far. I decided November's extra paycheck could alleviate some of this and I just ordered MURDERGOATS!.dec from tcgplayer.

Any tips on when to swing and when to sac and what hands to keep/mull?

Quick and dirty:
Swing for the fences when you're free and clear. Don't be afraid to go to the dome with burn.
Sac in response to removal, to position yourself for a win, or to outright win.
Keep hands with three lands and creatures, removal, or a mix of those. Basically if you have a turn one or two play you'll be ok more often than not. If you get an opening had along the lines of gate/basic/basic/purph/post/keyune/molten birth, mull it. For six, you just want three lands and a 2 cmc card.

As for adding Pack Rats, I've been mucking with the numbers for it on deckstats. My paper builds are a bit tight and kinda greedy so it became an issue of looking at what works best where. I already moved Rakdos's Return to my board, so scaled back on doom blade, keyrune, and molten birth to cram three in. I actually CAN'T do this on paper right now, so I'll have to stay with deckstats or try it online at some point.

I JUST started screwing with this and it's likely to change a few times over the next hour or so: http://deckstats.net/decks/107/35329-murder-goats-v2-5

edit: ohey I have no tickets online and pack rats went up to over 1 tix. go figure.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Oct 23, 2013

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Quick and dirty:
Swing for the fences when you're free and clear. Don't be afraid to go to the dome with burn.
Sac in response to removal, to position yourself for a win, or to outright win.
Keep hands with three lands and creatures, removal, or a mix of those. Basically if you have a turn one or two play you'll be ok more often than not. If you get an opening had along the lines of gate/basic/basic/purph/post/keyune/molten birth, mull it. For six, you just want three lands and a 2 cmc card.

As for adding Pack Rats, I've been mucking with the numbers for it on deckstats. My paper builds are a bit tight and kinda greedy so it became an issue of looking at what works best where. I already moved Rakdos's Return to my board, so scaled back on doom blade, keyrune, and molten birth to cram three in. I actually CAN'T do this on paper right now, so I'll have to stay with deckstats or try it online at some point.

I JUST started screwing with this and it's likely to change a few times over the next hour or so: http://deckstats.net/decks/107/35329-murder-goats-v2-5

edit: ohey I have no tickets online and pack rats went up to over 1 tix. go figure.

Well, I moved a bit closer to paper MURDERGOATS!.dec today. Needed 2 Mutavaults, 2 Rakdos's Returns, 2 Molten Births, a Rakdos Charm, 4 Tymarets, Murder King, and 3 Purphorosi. Got everything but 2 Tymarets, 2 Mutavaults, and 2 Purphorosi.

The owner of my local store realized he'd sold all his Godless Shrines and Temple of Silences out of his deck, and was hosed on his mana base, so he put a post on facebook offering 12 bucks credit per Godless Shrine and 8 bucks credit per Temple of Silence. I loaned him the cards initially, and yesterday took him up on the deal, so I could build MURDERGOATS! I got all those cards and still have like 3 bucks credit. Because I was nice to him initially, he broke down his B/R deck and hooked me up. I'm going to trade in my foil DRS and foil Kalonian Hydra somewhere to finish it off.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Don't worry too much about the Mutavaults, the deck plays fine without them.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Then I just need two Tyveks, Murdersuit King, and two Purphori

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I was seeing people running white weenies and splashing red for Boros Charm, and I was wondering if I could do something similar with an RDW variant, splashing white for Boros Charm. Here's what I came up with:

Should I just not even bother?

Also, I'm trading for a Chandra, Pyromaster on Friday so she'll be in there. What should I take out for her? I'm thinking a Magma Jet but if the Boros Charms are a bad idea then I'll just move all the white (including lands) to the sideboard against Control because Control is the only matchup I'm worried about in my local meta.

One more thing; I originally had 3 Legion's Initiative in the main deck because they did tons of work for me in the prototype version of the deck. Even if I'm not up against Control, that +1/+0 for all my creatures was pretty scary for most of my opponents, and potentially having a 4/4 Reckoner on turn 3 was terrifying. Additional Initiatives made him even bigger. What do you guys think of putting them back in?

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 23, 2013

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm loving running off-color scry lands in UW control. If your opponents don't realize you're only running Temple of Silence in lieu of a Plains for the scry, they'll do funny things with Jace -2 splits to try to keep you off the black mana you don't need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Don't worry too much about the Mutavaults, the deck plays fine without them.

which is a shame because you get to call them Murdervaults

• Locked thread