Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I could've sworn Ravenor said he was probably a gamma level psyker (I'm guessing gamma is above delta? Can't remember my Greek letters) since he had to use his abilities so much, so he got more skilled/powerful after he got chaired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

VanSandman posted:

I could've sworn Ravenor said he was probably a gamma level psyker (I'm guessing gamma is above delta? Can't remember my Greek letters) since he had to use his abilities so much, so he got more skilled/powerful after he got chaired.

Ravenor's got some psychic hood stuff in his chair as well, I think.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
He spent a bunch of time with the Eldar as well, and as previously discussed they are less brute force psykers, more refined.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

The Orks manifest the best and most powerful warp spirits of all - so I'd imagine the astronomicon transmitting mork is DA best gork is the best as a semaphore code lamp for eternity

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
As I understand, the way the Astronomican works is that the sacrificial psykers are placed in a chamber to singer in a "choir". This slowly drains their life force over the course of several months until they drop dead and crumble to dust. It's not an instantaneous thing. Why can't they preserve their lives by taking shifts instead? A psyker does one week in the choir then spends some weeks, months, years or whatever recuperating (assume they can recuperate). What forces them to stick to the job until they drop dead?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Baron Bifford posted:

As I understand, the way the Astronomican works is that the sacrificial psykers are placed in a chamber to singer in a "choir". This slowly drains their life force over the course of several months until they drop dead and crumble to dust. It's not an instantaneous thing. Why can't they preserve their lives by taking shifts instead? A psyker does one week in the choir then spends some weeks, months, years or whatever recuperating (assume they can recuperate). What forces them to stick to the job until they drop dead?

Are you serious?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Baron Bifford posted:

Why, the answer to that can be whatever you want!!

:) ~*~**The Magic of Fiction**~*~ :)

But no, seriously, pick any of a dozen reasons you can make up in your head (once they're locked in, they're locked in, or once they start "singing" the warp takes over their minds and they don't want to stop, or assume they just don't recuperate, or gently caress, I dunno, who cares?). It's that. That's the reason. Whichever one you make up. All that matters is that people have to die for the thing to go. Some author at some point decided that was what was significant, and didn't bother to go into the pedantic details of why this is the case and why there is literally no other option, because all that extra stuff is just that: extra. You just go with it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Baron Bifford posted:

Because it literally drains their life away - no amount of R&R in Tahiti is going to restore that. Besides, the psykers that are taken are a danger to themselves and others because they can't control their psychic talents, so you can't just let them wander off once their shift is over...

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Are you serious?

look at his rap sheet, add him to ignore, be happy

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
The Astronomicon Choir need to really start a union. They are really getting BURNT OUT.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I've been banned 4 times and that's probably a worst post than anything I've come up with.

TheStampede
Feb 20, 2008

"I'm like a hunter of peace. One who chases the elusive mayfly of love... or something like that."

Baron Bifford posted:

There's nothing Grimdark about OSHA.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Baron Bifford posted:

Can you just stop posting in this thread, holy poo poo.

Seriously almost every post is like this.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 22, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
To be fair, he is actually describing a thing in 40k, it's just not the Astronomican exactly. It's the psychic comms net that the Adeptus Astra Telepathica have going on.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...
Well it's established that the process drains them over a timespan of months so I kind of always assumed they got breaks to piss and poo poo, not to mention other basic human needs like eating and sleeping, so I'm reasonably sure they can leave the choir room at will.

As for why they would go back in when they're on the verge of death remember that before they get chosen to feed the Astronomican they go through years of indoctrination/training by the adeptus astropathica in preparation for being fed to the emperor so they go to the chamber willingly.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Also they've gone through something called the "soul binding" IIRC, which leaves them blind but extra-psychic or some other justification.

DrFrankenStrudel
May 14, 2012

Where am I? I don't even know anymore...

Arquinsiel posted:

Also they've gone through something called the "soul binding" IIRC, which leaves them blind but extra-psychic or some other justification.

Nope, soul binding is for the folks who go on to become Astropaths, the people sending messages back and forth across the stars, not batteries. The names are pretty similar but I think that's because they're trained by separate branch of the same greater organization.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

Arquinsiel posted:

Those are astropaths.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yes, but we've been talking about Astropaths since I pointed out that's what Baron Bifford was thinking about. The ones that are sacrificed to the throne haven't really been expanded on yet that I've come across, they just go in on a magic conveyor belt and a psychic lighthouse comes out.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
I'd like to talk about Deathshroud, and the Death Guard in general. Even before the weird warp calamity that turned them to Nurgle, weren't the signs already there devoid of Typhon's influence? There were 49 Deathshroud or something, and some of their number always remained 49 paces from Mortarion, and obviously they were a fan of toxic weapons and disease and poo poo.

Is this just a weird inconsistency or?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I'd like to talk about Deathshroud, and the Death Guard in general. Even before the weird warp calamity that turned them to Nurgle, weren't the signs already there devoid of Typhon's influence? There were 49 Deathshroud or something, and some of their number always remained 49 paces from Mortarion, and obviously they were a fan of toxic weapons and disease and poo poo.

There hasn't been a lot of characterization of the Death Guard. Like the opening quarter of Flight of the Eisenstein, and that's it. They weren't even referred to as being fans of CBR weapons, just breathing it as a rite of passage, and being described as "indomitable" and "unrelenting". It's not even clear what Mortarian was like and why he joined up with Horus beyond some vague stuff about hating tyrants.

We really need Abnett, ADB, Wraight, and Sanders to do a "Great Crusade" series after/concurrent to this so we get a feel for what things were like before it went to poo poo. I get why they jumped right into the Heresy - you need to have the events of the series start - but you need some appreciation of the characters and world before so you understand how the characters are developing and the world changing.

By the way, found this in Massacre, as a possible Lost Legions reference or (more likely) random tabletop game plot hook/tournament justification

Massacre, page 23 posted:

Regardless of this confusion as to its genesis, the judgement of the Imperium was to be swift and savage in its execution, and Horus' rebellion, swaying as it had four Space Marine Legions to his cause, was judged more dangerous than any that had gone before it during the Great Crusade (and indeed there had been several such), but it was also generally thought that Horus would content himself with carving out an empire of his own as the Throne's rival.
"Several such" rebellions by Legions before. It mentions the Night Lords awaiting judgement for Cruze attacking Imperial forces when he got into it with Dorn, and you could maybe stretch Monarchia, or Angron putting the Nails in his legion, but yeah. Interesting

Shroud
May 11, 2009

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

It' similar to some of the other hints they were dropping earlier - like a wink, wink to people who already know the fluff. Kharn was the 8th captain to attempt to calm Angron down 8 is the favored number of Khorne.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I came in here to confess to something. I randomly realized during work that the daemon Prophaniti's name is pronounced the same as profanity. I felt justly foolish but Baron's post put things in perspective and reminded me that while my brain sometimes overlooks obvious things, at least I'm not completely loving retarded. On another Eisenhorn note, I was really hoping that the last book would reveal Pontius' endgame as nothing more than forcing Eisenhorn into pretty much being a heretic. Y'know, like he promised to do in the preceding book.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Fried Chicken posted:

"Several such" rebellions by Legions before. It mentions the Night Lords awaiting judgement for Cruze attacking Imperial forces when he got into it with Dorn, and you could maybe stretch Monarchia, or Angron putting the Nails in his legion, but yeah. Interesting

Wasn't there something in Fulgrim, where it is explained that the reason why the Emperors Children both have so few numbers, and they get to have the Aquila as their symbol is due to some sort of treachery that occurred where they basically safeguarded the emperor?

Was that ever explained?

EyeRChris
Mar 3, 2010

Intergalactic, all-planetary, everything super-supreme champion
Have they announced any Death Guard books for the HH yet? Seems weird one of the Traitor Legions who was at the Dropsite massacre have had like no presence at all yet. The closest we got was Garro saying telling his entire legion to gently caress off and running to Terra to warn everyone. Hell. Alpha Legion, whose whole thing is working from the shadows, has had more of a presence than Death Guard.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Reading the Shira Calpurnia books by Farrer. I'd been putting them off, but decided to go for them after reading his short story in Angron.

So far, I'm a fan. I'm really liking how he has the descriptions of that planet-wide Mass prefacing the chapters, if just because of the fact that the Emperor would have probably killed the world for holding it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

UberJumper posted:

Wasn't there something in Fulgrim, where it is explained that the reason why the Emperors Children both have so few numbers, and they get to have the Aquila as their symbol is due to some sort of treachery that occurred where they basically safeguarded the emperor?

Was that ever explained?

They lost a lot of their geneseed in an unfortunate accident during the Great Crusade. (That explains why they stuck with the Luna Wolves for a while until they regained their numbers.) Fulgrim made a speech about it that impressed the Emperor and gave him the right to wear the Aquila.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

Fried Chicken posted:

I always thought this tidbit referred to the two lost legions that Russ put down.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fried Chicken posted:

Massacre, page 23 posted:

Regardless of this confusion as to its genesis, the judgement of the Imperium was to be swift and savage in its execution, and Horus' rebellion, swaying as it had four Space Marine Legions to his cause, was judged more dangerous than any that had gone before it during the Great Crusade (and indeed there had been several such), but it was also generally thought that Horus would content himself with carving out an empire of his own as the Throne's rival.
I read this last night - though, I wasn't sure if it was referring to SM rebellion, or just a poorly written sentence referring to numerous rebellions (most likely by worlds/forces thought to be under Imperial control) that occurred throughout the Great Crusade.

The reason I feel the latter is because every time SM vs. SM is brought up, everyone is aghast and can't believe something like that could really happen. If it had happened previously, everyone would have been like "Oh, poo poo, here we go again."

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Maybe at this point in the timeline, everyone is still aghast because last time there were small rumblings of rebellion the Emperor had two Primarchs executed, their names forever removed, and their legions decimated.

My auto-correct almost turned decimated into desiccated. That would of be weird.

"And thus the Emperor had his two sons removed of moisture, ALL OF IT."

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Blacktoll posted:

My auto-correct almost turned decimated into desiccated. That would of be weird.

"And thus the Emperor had his two sons removed of moisture, ALL OF IT."

It's just the setting going back to its Dune roots. It is the Fremen way. The water belongs to the Tribe!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

This being 40k, I have to ask. Do you mean decimated in the "annihilated" sense it's used often used in or in the "the Emperor killed one Space Marine in ten to teach them a lesson" sense that's totally 40k as hell?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I very much meant the Roman one in ten. The rest got rolled into the Ultramarines and Imperial Fists.

On the 10th day of decimation The Emperor spake, "Verily unto Ultramarines thou shalt roll; gently caress thee pride."

The two other Primarchs must of been massive tools because the ones that lived until the Heresy were some punks. Perturabo's sad and pissy because he had a poo poo job? Yeah, I'm sure Vietnam-era tunnel rats loved hearing about how badass air cav was while climbing into a dank tunnel with just a .45 in one hand and shaking hands with the devil in the other.

This is assuming that when the other two Primarchs got launched into the galaxy didn't hit a sun.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Could be one Primarch got launched into the sun or something (the broken casket seen in the vision). The other was such a shitlord (or maybe he just wanted independance) that Russ curbstomped him, and both the legions were put into the Smurfs to boost them.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I like to think one straight up refused to be a warlord, thus necessitating their extermination because the last thing you want is for a genetically engineered superman with the knowledge to create an empire running around behind your front lines not listening to you.
The other? Was the Warboss of Ullanor.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

I don't know the Ullanor reference?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Blacktoll posted:

It was the last great battle of the Crusade that the Emperor participated in. I think VanSandman is implying the Ork Warlord was a Space Marine?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Of course, there's also the disappointment Primarch. The one who ended up in middle management.

Primarch Bob from Accounting brought a crushing victory in the infamous Johnson account. His tax return was legendary and fed his family for no less than 2 months!

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

Blacktoll posted:

Ullanor is a great war against the Orks, in fact it is the last war the Emperor fought with his sons, and grandchildren at his side in the great crusade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Ahh, yes. Primarch Orkelman. Whose crude and crass behavior caused his legion to become stricken when at the dinner table he cut the longest and loudest fart in human history. The psychic residue caused a rift which precipitated the building of the Golden Throne.

This was the first shot fired and the precursor event to the Ullanor Campaign, or rebellion to those in the know.