Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is it worth bothering with a Ditto that is only "Above Average" in IVs?

edit: Wait I'm an idiot I'm not actually using these dittos just breeding them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Nah I was asking about the clothes, didn't realize the lineups change oh no I'm gonna have to keep checking until I find something decent.

I didn't realize the guy asking to see someone colorful actually gives an awesome pancham hat so I'm definitely gonna try that now. Do I just wear really bright colors?

I forget what he says. Colorful hat and pants? I got it with camo gear without needing to change or anything.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Caught a shiny Lampent in a friend-zone :woop:

It's a relaxed nature :negative:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Nah I was asking about the clothes, didn't realize the lineups change oh no I'm gonna have to keep checking until I find something decent.

I didn't realize the guy asking to see someone colorful actually gives an awesome pancham hat so I'm definitely gonna try that now. Do I just wear really bright colors?

You need a colorful hat and sneakers. I think it's any hat and any sneakers really.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

david puddy posted:

Guess who just got his 5th shiny Trapinch :shepface: This is gonna be the best gimmick team

In case you can't find a sixth, do you know if Zorua's Illusion ability masquerades him as a shiny Pokemon?

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Kikas posted:

Do they at least have Sheer Force or are they all Arena Trapinches?

Doesn't matter, they all end up with Levitate. They all have poo poo natures too, but at least they aren't nicknamed :)

Tornhelm posted:

In case you can't find a sixth, do you know if Zorua's Illusion ability masquerades him as a shiny Pokemon?

At the rate I'm getting them now I don't think it'll be long before I actually have 6 of them. I gave one of them to a friend so I really only have 4, hopefully they stay plentiful.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 23, 2013

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey guys, I just have one question for this morning!

I wanted to know how people know when a Poke is good. As in, why do people love Gengar over Dark-pokemon-x or something like that. Is it purely a comparison in stats and if the numbers are close enough together, it doesn't really matter which you choose?

I was also thinking it's a mix of ability. If a Pokemon can have levitate whereas another can;t, it has an advantage there. Then that paired with holdable items, moveset, and nature, can potentially make it a better option. I get that there aren't Pokemon that are win-all, but I don't really understand what goes into the selection of Pokemon when getting ready for a competitive battle.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

noirstronaut posted:

I wanted to know how people know when a Poke is good. As in, why do people love Gengar over Dark-pokemon-x or something like that. Is it purely a comparison in stats and if the numbers are close enough together, it doesn't really matter which you choose?

I was also thinking it's a mix of ability. If a Pokemon can have levitate whereas another can;t, it has an advantage there. Then that paired with holdable items, moveset, and nature, can potentially make it a better option. I get that there aren't Pokemon that are win-all, but I don't really understand what goes into the selection of Pokemon when getting ready for a competitive battle.

I think part of it has to do with the moves available to them.
Gengar gets a good selection of moves for taking down a number of different types. Plus it looks neat, not as cool as Haunter, but still neat.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Nature and hold items are universal, so it's stats ability and moveset which put one pokemon over another.

As an example of a bad one, Flareon: fire-types are vulnerable to a lot of stuff (particularly since Gen 3 added a ton of water pokemon) without any useful resists. On top of that Flareon's strong in attack and gets a single fire-typed physical attack (it used to get none). It also gets next to no other physical attacks for other types, let alone useful ones. Flash Fire (gain power when hit by a fire move) could be useful for swapping into an enemy's fire attack, but fire isn't a common attack type, it's used for occasional 4x weak enemies (scisor for example) but it's not worth keeping an otherwise useless guy taking a spot on your team for that situation. And again you don't have anything to DO with that increased power, and will get KOed the next turn.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Stats, typing, movepool, and ability are all important. Movepool is probably the most important of the lot, honestly. A Pokemon with 300 base attack that only learns Tackle is going to see less use than something that has godawful stats but can have every move ever (Smeargle). Gengar has the special attack and speed to be a hell of a sweeper, but his frailty would put a huge damper on it if not for the fact that he also has Substitute to absorb attacks from priority users and what-have-you. Likewise if his only offensive option was Lick or something he wouldn't be good for a drat thing, but he gets Shadow Ball and Focus Blast which have drat near perfect neutral coverage.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

HoneyBoy posted:

Giga Drain is a tutor move from BW2. It supposedly learns Hurricane and that's a really good move, but that's not until level 90.

edit: Actually this is Gen 5 info so it may be outdated by now.

I could tutor flying dance, hurricane and bug buzz right after evolving my Larvesta.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
This may have been answered earlier (been lazy keeping up with this thread) but when I was doing Super Training I noticed that the punching bags for the stats are represented by Pokemon that give out those kinds of EVs. The Speed one is the Zubat line, the Defense is the Aron line, Special Attack is the Litwick line, and HP is Azurill.

But I can't for the life of me figure out what the Attack or Special Defense bags are supposed to be.

The Leper Colon V posted:

Is it just me, or could Talonflame run a really good Swords Dance set? All it needs is one boost to catch its middling attack up with its ferocious speed, and you basically have a D-Dance'd Charizard with an actually good Flying STAB.

I think the only problem with this is that Talonflame is so frail that it might not survive a hit from the opponent to make use of Swords Dance. It'd be great if you Baton Passed it one though.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Just got a Japanese Ditto from the Wonder Trade that has Pokerus. :stare: Is this...a common thing in this game now? I had no idea what Pokerus was and was afraid something terrible was going to happen when I saw I got it, until I looked it up. Wow.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

But I can't for the life of me figure out what the Attack or Special Defense bags are supposed to be.

Attack is the Machop line, special defense is the Flabebe line.

BlackFrost posted:

Just got a Japanese Ditto from the Wonder Trade that has Pokerus. :stare: Is this...a common thing in this game now? I had no idea what Pokerus was and was afraid something terrible was going to happen when I saw I got it, until I looked it up. Wow.

Pokerus is stupid rare in a self-contained environment, but once you have it it's super easy to spread so some good souls like to infect everything they can and start giving it out over wi-fi.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Aurain posted:

Pokémon that need a Mega and a buff:
My favourite.

Pokémon that don't need a mega and need a nerf.
Your favourite.
My favourite already got a Mega. :smug:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

noirstronaut posted:

Ability, moveset, stats and how they're distributed and type can all make a difference, sure. Look at 3 of the Fire starters from different generations:

Infernape
Emboar
Blaziken

All 3 are Fire/Fighting, but Blaziken easily became the best one by far when it got Speed Boost (ability, makes you faster every turn) and High Jump Kick (strongest possible fighting move) at the same time. In Gen 4 Infernape outclassed it because it had a more diverse moveset and they all had the same ability. Emboar is easily the worst because he's so slow - speed is really important, if you move fast enough you can kill things in one hit before they hit back. Pokemon that hit very hard and move very fast are usually strong for this reason, they can get around having poor defenses.

That said the real reason people know if a pokemon is good or not is trying it out in an actual battle. There have been a lot of times where people looked at a pokemon and thought it was useless on paper but it turned out to be a lot more powerful in practice.

Crosscontaminant posted:

I was really dissapointed when I found out you can only have 1 mega per team because so many of them are really awesome.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

I was really dissapointed when I found out you can only have 1 mega per team
You can only activate one per battle. You can have as many Mega Stone-holding 'mons as you want on your team.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I kinda want an opinion. What would be considered an ideal Hawlucha setup? I've been running with this in the Battle Maison:

Hawlucha @ White Herb
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Ability: Unburden
Flying Press
Brick Break
Sky Attack
Roost

I open with Sky Attack to consume the White Herb for the Speed boost from Unburden and then he pretty much cleans up shop from there. Flying Press is far too confusing to be worth it, but I don't know what to switch it for because Hawlucha doesn't really get very many good Flying moves that don't take up two turns. Roost could probably stand to go too? Hawlucha's frail and it doesn't really matter much. Possibly thinking U-Turn but it's not like I'd want to switch him out after triggering Unburden.

The Hawlucha I've been using is the one I used for the story and it turns out he has crap for an Attack IV, so I could stand to replace him for a new one. Would it be better to get one with Mold Breaker? Or is this as good of a strategy as I'll get?

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Oct 23, 2013

No
Sep 13, 2006

So is there a guide somewhere for EV training with hordes? The soccer game gets boring after a while, and I have Pokerus and will soon have the power items.

Also, the Exp Share actually shares EVs too, if I'm noticing correctly. Right?

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

No posted:

So is there a guide somewhere for EV training with hordes? The soccer game gets boring after a while, and I have Pokerus and will soon have the power items.

Also, the Exp Share actually shares EVs too, if I'm noticing correctly. Right?

http://nuggetbridge.com/articles/ev-training-hotspots-x-y/

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Has Ghost-type Curse always bypassed Substitute and Protect?

Also, for the OP: Sitrus and Lum berries cross-pollinate to make Tamato berries.

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
Wow, just got the game Monday and I'm finally living my dream of an all fire type team! Braixen, Combusken, Charmeleon, Fletchinder and Litleo. Plus one extra spot I'm using to play around with new pokes. Worked pretty well for the first zone but might be tougher now I'm in the mountains.

Loving the game so far! The variety of pokemon to catch in each area is awesome. Running through grass isn't a chore anymore because I keep finding new pokenon in the area. Not a fan of the wild groups of pokemon though as l don't have any moves that target groups. (any suggestions on those for a fire type team?)

Also where can I buy new clothes?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

nerdbot posted:

I kinda want an opinion. What would be considered an ideal Hawlucha setup? I've been running with this in the Battle Maison:

Hawlucha @ White Herb
252 Attack / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Ability: Unburden
Flying Press
Brick Break
Sky Attack
Roost

I open with Sky Attack to consume the White Herb for the Speed boost from Unburden and then he pretty much cleans up shop from there. Flying Press is far too confusing to be worth it, but I don't know what to switch it for because Hawlucha doesn't really get very many good Flying moves that don't take up two turns. Roost could probably stand to go too? Hawlucha's frail and it doesn't really matter much. Possibly thinking U-Turn but it's not like I'd want to switch him out after triggering Unburden.

The Hawlucha I've been using is the one I used for the story and it turns out he has crap for an Attack IV, so I could stand to replace him for a new one. Would it be better to get one with Mold Breaker? Or is this as good of a strategy as I'll get?

You can try Acrobatics instead of Sky Attack, with a Flying Gem. I think the initial attack will be stronger anyway, and then you're not stuck with a 2 turn move you'll be afraid to use the rest of the time.

Hawlucha gets High Jump Kick which is awesome. I was also really disappointing with dual type moves, they turned out to be a lot more useless than I expected.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

You can try Acrobatics instead of Sky Attack, with a Flying Gem. I think the initial attack will be stronger anyway, and then you're not stuck with a 2 turn move you'll be afraid to use the rest of the time.

Hawlucha gets High Jump Kick which is awesome. I was also really disappointing with dual type moves, they turned out to be a lot more useless than I expected.

Oh yeah, Acrobatics makes way more sense! I glazed over it for some reason. I think I'll go with that, drop Sky Attack for something like X-Scissor to cover my Psychic weakness and either keep Roost or put in Poison Jab for Fairy coverage.

Where do you get Gems in X and Y, anyway?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Hey, another question while I'm waiting in the car: Under what scenario would I want to use one of the move slots for a status move? Would it be if a Poke has a solid speed stat and defense and I want to use a strategy wherein I try to either beef up my team or make theirs crap? I'm asking mostly because Delphox, like most starters, has spots that are taken with status moves but is high with special attack and speed. Thanks for any help!

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Flying Press isn't worth using - Hawlucha gets both High Jump Kick and Acrobatics, which works well with Unburden and a Flying Gem, plus Swords Dance to patch up its Attack. The fourth slot is up to you - Smogon suggests Encore, but Roost and U-turn would also work.

nerdbot posted:

Where do you get Gems in X and Y, anyway?
Right now nobody knows, but I'm betting they'll be found in battle by interacting with the background, like the berries.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Truth be told

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JQhFQ4GMCw&hd=1

Prof Oak is racist

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Crosscontaminant posted:

Flying Press isn't worth using - Hawlucha gets both High Jump Kick and Acrobatics, which works well with Unburden and a Flying Gem, plus Swords Dance to patch up its Attack. The fourth slot is up to you - Smogon suggests Encore, but Roost and U-turn would also work.

Right now nobody knows, but I'm betting they'll be found in battle by interacting with the background, like the berries.

I fought someone online using a normal gem Noivern. Who knows where they are, though.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

As I recall, the game is super-duper picky about what constitutes "in the middle of the frame" - there's a reticule, and if that doesn't light up red then it doesn't count.

Evil Eagle posted:

I fought someone online using a normal gem Noivern. Who knows where they are, though.
There's a Normal Gem in one of the caves - it's a hidden item. That's the only one anyone knows of.

Champeenship
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

I recall there being a normal gem in Zygarde's chamber, but I have yet to see any other type of gem.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

JoltSpree posted:

There is no log in button, just this.

I've seen that happen on TCGO. Go to pokemon.com and try to log in there, that usually causes it to figure out that it's in a bizarre state and fix itself.

Crosscontaminant posted:

No Mega Flareon :(

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

So Unburden would definitely be the best way to go with Hawlucha then? That was definitely the most burning question I had. I love Mold Breaker but it looks like Hawlucha doesn't really have the tools to make good use of it. He definitely has the tools to make hella good use of Unburden though. I guess that's what I'll stick with!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh, now the game's just fuckin' with me. After about 5 total hours of breeding Aerodactyls and getting one with Adamant, I go to Friend Safari and catch an Adamant Ditto.

On the up side, now I never have to go through that again! Need to go catch the little bastards until I score a Modest one. Is there ever a reason not to use Adamant/Modest? Maybe have those plus ones that boost Speed and lower the two attacks in case you really want a fast guy?

Got my online battle team picked. Now to Super Train and level them! Can Aerodactyl learn EQ or somethin', or is Bulldoze as far as it goes for Ground moves? Also, anyone happen to know where I can get Gyro Ball and if Wigglytuff can learn it?

ChibiSoma fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 23, 2013

Cyflan
Nov 4, 2009

Why yes, I DO have enough CON to whip my hair.

ChibiSoma posted:

Is there ever a reason not to use Adamant/Modest?

If you want to make something other than a sweeper, yes.

Or if you want to make a mixed attacker.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

I'm loving the friend safari. One of my friends has metangs in hers, another has snorunts. I've been wonder trading snorunts to people, they looks SO CUTE in this game! They shiver! I need more friends.

Also I found my second shiny ever in the form of a flabébé, which was nice. Yellow flower, but I'll take it. My first shiny ever was an espurr. This game loves shinies.

SBJ
Apr 10, 2009

Apple of My Eye

Laughter in the Sky
I found a normal gem, I think it was in Terminus cave, but before the E4. You know that place near the train tracks? That's the only gem I've found.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Countblanc posted:

4) Use stuff that isn't crippled by Taunt. Just what it sounds like; Use some pokemon who don't really care about Taunt. There's plenty of "annoying" pokemon that do their dirty work through attacking rather than defending, especially now that pseudo-trapping moves (Wrap, Infestation, etc.) do 1/8 damage instead of 1/16 damage every turn. And even discounting that, you should probably run one or two pokemon who just come out and do their deed. If you want to be annoying anyway, maybe pick stuff that people expect to set up and just run a straight attacking set - If they think your entire team is Taunt bait they might just waste a turn taunting your Choice Band Swampert, or whatever.

Catching up on posts again - can you elaborate? Are you talking about using a Binding Band to increase the damage or has base damage on binding moves been increased?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

DizzyBum posted:

Catching up on posts again - can you elaborate? Are you talking about using a Binding Band to increase the damage or has base damage on binding moves been increased?

They straight up made binding moves better, they do 1/8th a turn now. If you Toxic then use one of those moves you pretty much guarantee a death if you can survive for that long.

Phreizr
Nov 1, 2012

They straight up made binding moves better, they do 1/8th a turn now. If you Toxic then use one of those moves you pretty much guarantee a death if you can survive for that long.

Unless it's something like Gengar or Aegislash who just kinda laugh at both of those unless Infestation is an exception to the new "ghosts can't be trapped" rule.

As long as you have something to deal with Ghost/Poison/Steel types though it seems like it'd be fairly annoying to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CherryCat
Feb 21, 2011

That's a strawberry.

College Slice
This may have been the fastest I ever got through to post game, I love this game! I've been tipping everyone but still no shinies, working on filling my Kalos dex now and breeding trade fodder.

• Locked thread