Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
Pick 'em: The End is Nigh, And We Are All Grateful

Intercontinental Title
Walney Rakers (c)

Television Title
Nurnberg Gravediggers

UNIFICATION MATCH! Canadian Title vs. Unified Hardcore and Triple Crown Titles
OKC Bombers win

Heavyweight Title
Burma Imperialists (c)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Did all of my pitching staff literally fall apart at the worst possible time? Son of a bitch.

Faber and Nichols on DL. Larry Jackson to SP3, Wes Ferrel to SP4, Bronson Arroyo to Mopup, auto-sort bullpen because i literally cannot even give a gently caress at this point

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

DannoMack posted:

The same offer can be applied to any of you EC guys! Jim Palmer should be better. Steve Rogers should be better (He's Captain America for Christ's sake!). Babby Tim Hudson could be better! I need a star to get me through the gauntlet.

Everyone re-rolls in the Gauntlet, including your presently-disappointing pitchers.

Still, if you want to move someone, feel free to look at the roster of the Pharmaceuticals.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heORiZ8l484

DL MCGWIRE, NEW LINEUPS

vs RHP w/ DH:

1. Richie Ashburn CF
2. Luke Appling SS
3. Mark Grace 1B
4. Carl Yastrzemski LF
5. Joe Torre C
6. Dave Winfield RF
7. Smoky Burgess DH
8. Pete Runnels 2B
9. Eddie Mathews 3B

vs LHP w/ DH:

1. Luke Appling SS
2. Richie Ashburn CF
3. Chipper Jones 3B
4. Dave Winfield RF
5. Joe Torre C
6. Nap Lajoie 2B
7. Mark Grace 1B
8. Smoky Burgess DH
9. Carl Yastrzemski LF

PRAY FOR RAIN/AN SLXII BYE

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

Mr. Cool Ice posted:

GVOLTT, if you're around, I would also be interested in your Torii Hunter.
Yep, I guess he's available, though at this point I don't know what I'd want in return. Shoot me an offer then. Rookie Jimmy Wynn is also available.

GVOLTT fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 22, 2013

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

DannoMack posted:

The Mooglies rotation is running with a lot of modern-day guys. A gamble to say the least! Your bottom two being the scariest. Would you care to take a shot on a combo of my SPs getting better rolls for you in exchange for me taking a shot on modern day Kershaw being able to carry me through the gauntlet?

Unless that combo could be Maddux and Gibson, I don't think so. But hey, if it could, that would be super!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

If you want a dominant lefty, 1998 Randy Johnson exists and his "strike a lot of motherfuckers out and also give up fly balls" thing isn't as useful for the Pharmas as it would be for a team with lovely IF defense.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Promote Remlinger for Perez and swap Al Downing in for Dave Foutz while you're at it.

Champs retain, etc.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Bert Blyleven (SP) (Redistricted!) - Out for Season

Not that I am in it anymore but that is third time this season and I picked Young Blyleven to mitigate injruies. ARGHHHH!

Also, Dwayne Murphy in CF until Rickey comes back.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Pick em
Champs retain

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Intercontinental Title
Coburns unify
Losers
Other champs retain.

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!
All champs retain.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Well balls, here's what I came up with, I suppose:

Swap Rafael Rubio out for Bud Black at SP3
Swap Juan Guzman out for Josh Linn at SP5
Swap Jim Rooker out for Dale Blake at SR
Swap Rennie Stennet out for Mark McGwire at DH
Bring in Onix Conception at 1B
Swap Frank White out for Jack Doyle at 2B
Swap Don Slaught out for Jimmie Wilson at C
Swap Terry Jones out for Rondell White at CF
Swap Bill Dahlen out for Jackie Hernandez at SS

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
Pick 'em

Bombers and Gravediggers sweep and the rest retains.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Intercontinental Title
New Vegas High Rollers @ Walney Rakers (c)

Television Title
New World Symphony (c) @ Nurnberg Gravediggers

UNIFICATION MATCH! Canadian Title vs. Unified Hardcore and Triple Crown Titles
OKC Bombers win vs. Both Retain vs. @ Coburns Win

Heavyweight Title
Burma Imperialists (c) @ Rockford Losers

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

FairGame posted:

If you want a dominant lefty, 1998 Randy Johnson exists and his "strike a lot of motherfuckers out and also give up fly balls" thing isn't as useful for the Pharmas as it would be for a team with lovely IF defense.

yeah it worked out real fuckin well for me oh wait

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Let's put Spahn in for Ford. Also, put Aguilera in for Burke.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Expansion Cup XI August: Getting Tense...

I'm just going to preface this update for Taggart League (no-DH owners). Interleague is over, and the script only pulls DH lineups. Don't worry if it looks all crazy, your no-DH lineup is correct, trust me. Also in some cases I declined to let some owners sub in generated rookies for real players, but that's not really a bad thing.

Analysis

30 games and you lose half a game. Shame. Still, everything seems to be working right and you've got six games against the Dragons next month. Good luck?

Analysis
I really have no explanation for Atlee Hammaker. Just beware.

Analysis
Holy poo poo, literally all of your position players are sore. At least you're just competing for draft position at this point.

Analysis
Managing to keep things interesting. I just don't know if your rotation has it in them, though...

Analysis
I don't loving know. I guess it's like Super League II all over again.

Analysis
Looks like this team may be the real deal. Or at least, it'll be the closest thing to successful new blood in the Dynamo League since my Somali Pirates took SLX by storm.

Analysis
At least some of your biggest problems are in easy-to-fill postions.

Analysis
I'm sorry about Rickey, I really am. But check out dat fukken Frisch.

Analysis
Cesar Cedeno cleaned up, at least. Ichiro didn't actually play, seeing as interleague is over.

Analysis
Honestly dude, your team isn't that bad on paper. Unfortunately, the Super League doesn't care about such things.

Analysis
Stan Musial is loving amazing but he can't do everything himself.

Analysis
Despite all reason, your team still occupies its unsustainable position atop the McQueen League. You just need to hold Cthulhu off for another six games this month...

Analysis
You're basically guaranteed the first overall pick at this point. Whether or not that's a good thing is up to you.

Analysis
Aside from you wanting to put a fictional player into your rotation this month, there weren't any issues. You're still tied for the 2nd overall pick.

Analysis
Welp, looks like you're definitely a longshot in the Taggart League. But, honestly, I like your team a lot, even if the Dynamo League is basically impossible to break into at this point.

Analysis
I'd make some remark about how you're under your pythag by 7 games, but gently caress, it's the EC, that's a good thing.

Analysis
Turns out when you've got two Bonds it's hard to be the worst. Orval Overall doesn't think he'll have trouble helping you with that come the Super League, though.

Analysis
No offense, but I was pretty dubious about you keeping up with Detroit.

Beet fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Oct 23, 2013

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

:(

Changes
-Replace Ray Boone with Alan Trammell
-Replace Al Rosen with Aramis Ramirez
-Pray for good draft picks

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
Greatest* Googly-Mooglies

Send down Clayton Kershaw; replace him with Scott Kazmir.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

Beet posted:

Despite all reason, your team still occupies its unsustainable position atop the McQueen League. You just need to hold Cthulhu off for another six games this month...

It's all gotten a bit silly at the Wawel this EC. OK, so my hitters are beating up on the opposition pitching, but that means nothing yet. It's still the pitching I'm worried about. It was always the pitching, although its gotten slightly better every month.

Roster Changes!

1. A-Rod is sore again! Make him the DH
2. Jeter starts at SS and leads off
3. Varitek becomes the principal catcher. Freehan catches for Tiant.

And since I have 4 players who can play SS, I am willing to listen to offers for Jeter, Young or McAuliffe. Ideally, I'd like a decent righty SP in exchange, but obviously the deal would be concluded at the end of the season.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Everyone retains.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

quote:

Analysis
Welp, looks like you're definitely a longshot in the Taggart League. But, honestly, I like your team a lot, even if the Dynamo League is basically impossible to break into at this point.

It's my birthday today, may I have my super secret present for being a newly signed up owner? Something like a 2001 A-Rod or an 1886 Cap Anson are both on my wish list :)

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Put Seminick in to catch for the last month I guess. Looking forward to my entire team getting injured, allowing O.K. Todhunter to lead a ragtag assortment of misfits to glory.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

gently caress, 3.5 out of 1st and 0 games against the Thunder. I guess I can hope I take 4 or 5 out of 6 from the Dragons and then the Dragons can do the same to Australia.

Still, with a dead Rickey and my 2 best hitters sore in a month with just 2 off days (and the first one is 2 weeks away) I don't really see it happening. Might as well try, though; I've got a better shot of winning than I do of tanking.

CHANGES

1.) I get expanded rosters for September, right? That means I have access to Utley and Delgado.

2.) NEW LINEUPS for this month only:

Vs. RHP

1.) Frisch, 3b
2.) Waner, RF
3.) Olerud, 1b
4.) Thome, DH
5.) Abreu, CF I'm sure this'll work great!
6.) Delgado, LF
7.) Alomar, 2b
8.) Steinbach, C
9.) Rollins, SS

Vs. LHP

1.) Alomar, 2b
2.) Olerud, 1b
3.) Molitor, DH
4.) Canseco, LF
5.) Abreu, RF
6.) Steinbach, C
7.) Polanco, 3b
8.) Rollins, SS
9.) White, CF

3.) Send Rich Gossage to the negative zone or something. I only want a 5-man pen of Eck/Corsi/Adams/Honeycutt/Ellis

4.) Turn the sliders for pinch hitters and pinch runners to 5.

END CHANGES

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

Robert_Deadford posted:

It's all gotten a bit silly at the Wawel this EC. OK, so my hitters are beating up on the opposition pitching, but that means nothing yet. It's still the pitching I'm worried about. It was always the pitching, although its gotten slightly better every month.

Roster Changes!

And since I have 4 players who can play SS, I am willing to listen to offers for Jeter, Young or McAuliffe. Ideally, I'd like a decent righty SP in exchange, but obviously the deal would be concluded at the end of the season.

What's the ages on A-Rod and Jeter? I might be interested.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CFBalla posted:

-Pray for good draft picks

Well, in good news you pretty much have the first overall pick locked up!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

cbx posted:

What's the ages on A-Rod and Jeter? I might be interested.

I think they're from the Team USA Shame Squad

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

FairGame posted:

I think they're from the Team USA Shame Squad

Oh. They're old, then. Hmm.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

cbx posted:

Oh. They're old, then. Hmm.

A-Rod is 30 and very much in his prime, and Jeter is 32. He is no spring Chicken, but I'd Hardly say that's "Old".

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Robert_Deadford posted:

Roster Changes!

Take a look at my SP roster, keeping in mind that Old Hoss and Walter Johnson are off-limits, and tell me what you'd consider for A-Rod and for Jeter.

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
Pick Em
Losers beat Imperialists, all other champs retain.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Pick them

All champs retain.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Okay, because it doesn't seem to have happened last time

Call up Uggla, he moves to 2B, English takes over at SS. No other lineup changes. For Uggla, send down Wally Schang.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
The Marmosets continue to give me a mild sense of confidence that I can contend after the dispersal draft. Craig Biggio can play catcher, so if there's a Hornsby or something in play at my pick, I can get him, or just take the best centerfielder and get some random rear end 2B in the 2nd round.
If the dispersal draft is anything like the other drafts I have watched in the SL, there will be a free-range Nap Lajoie just looking for a home. Travis Cecil should be able to anchor shortstop, and he's young, and therefore will not die horribly if asked to play most days.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Not for nothing since the Congratulators used a Nap Lajoie, but at some point I kind of want to look at all these dispersal drafts filled with Nap Lajoies and say "Having Nap Lajoie probably isn't as good a thing as we all think since his teams all get relegated."

ToiletofSadness
Mar 27, 2010
There's no doubt probably a good half dozen posts that delve into why Nap Lajoie isn't an ideal 2B.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Oh, I'd never call him the ideal 2B, but he does appear to generally be the SL average 2B on SLreference.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Zodiac5000 posted:

Oh, I'd never call him the ideal 2B, but he does appear to generally be the SL average 2B on SLreference.
(1) Notice that Nap Lajoie hits well, and take him.
(2) Notice that deadball pitchers do well, and take them.
(3) Get relegated.
(4) Repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

tl;dr: He's a bad fielder with no power and only decent speed, but he hits the ball into the gap with alarming regularity so depending on your opposition and home stadium he'll either hit ~.350 with a billion doubles or something in the .275 range with next to no doubles, he's best suited for an 8 hole in the Dynamo and a bit higher in the Smasher as a result but everybody :syoon: at his average and puts him at the top of the lineup where he never steals bases, gets in the way of 2/3 hitters with any speed and only occasionally hits well enough to offset this.