Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Purple D. Link posted:

Speaking of, how is Killing Time? I saw Youtube clips of it years ago and thought it looked interesting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YUDutgtgw

I have no idea how many people on here own a 3DO, but I do. And I have this game. It's a by-the-numbers Doom clone with some awesome cutscene effects with that whole ghostly flashback on the stages thing. As far as I could make it, the game seems to be just one large continuous stage rather than broken up into smaller, individual stages. Unfortunately, there are a TON of hitscan enemies, and survival is hard enough as is. Nothing special, really, but presentation was unique.

PO'ed, on the other hand, now there's a game. :allears:

(Side note, the laser on my 3DO finally kicked the bucket, thanks early '90s CD laser assemblies. I should get around to fixing it, or I guess buy the later model 3DO, as I have an FZ-1 at the moment.)

EDIT: Wait, that game was released on the PC? I never heard of a PC port!

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple D. Link
May 17, 2011

HE IS THE HERO

Mercury Crusader posted:

I have no idea how many people on here own a 3DO, but I do. And I have this game. It's a by-the-numbers Doom clone with some awesome cutscene effects with that whole ghostly flashback on the stages thing. As far as I could make it, the game seems to be just one large continuous stage rather than broken up into smaller, individual stages. Unfortunately, there are a TON of hitscan enemies, and survival is hard enough as is. Nothing special, really, but presentation was unique.

(Side note, the laser on my 3DO finally kicked the bucket, thanks early '90s CD laser assemblies. I should get around to fixing it, or I guess buy the later model 3DO, as I have an FZ-1 at the moment.)

Thanks. I think I still want to try it somehow anyway. I imagine it's a pain to get the PC version working so I guess I'll see if there's a good 3DO emulator...

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Yeah, there was a port of Killing Time. It's is in a weird situation like Power Slave/Exhumed, where the port is essentially a remake.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Purple D. Link posted:

Thanks. I think I still want to try it somehow anyway. I imagine it's a pain to get the PC version working so I guess I'll see if there's a good 3DO emulator...

I like the game a lot, but it's really hard to recommend to people. For starters, 3DO.

NovaPolice posted:

Yeah, there was a port of Killing Time. It's is in a weird situation like Power Slave/Exhumed, where the port is essentially a remake.

Huh. I should really look into this PC port remake thing, then. I'm always on the hunt for more classic FPS titles, good or not. It's kinda my thing. Even bad ones tend to get a pass from me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Killing Time on PC is kind of mediocre at best. The graphics are decent I guess, but Quake came out around the same time and completely overshadowed it.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Segmentation Fault posted:

I'm trying to get hacx running in Chocolate Doom. If I try to follow the instructions here I get told that the "DEHACKED lump not found. Please check that this is the Hacx v1.2 IWAD." Ideas?

I don't use Chocolate much, but it looks like those instructions are out of date. They link the 1.1 wad specifically, while that error is asking for 1.2. You'll want this release. It's looking for a DEHACKED lump too, so it'll probably happily load it out of the WAD.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Does anyone happen to have a BEX or DEH file that changes the behavior of the armor pickups in DOOM/DOOM2 from setting armor to 100 or 200 to simply adding 100 or 200 to the armor count?

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Install Windows posted:

Does anyone happen to have a BEX or DEH file that changes the behavior of the armor pickups in DOOM/DOOM2 from setting armor to 100 or 200 to simply adding 100 or 200 to the armor count?
This is not possible to do with DEH or BEX files, sorry!

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Keiya posted:

I don't use Chocolate much, but it looks like those instructions are out of date. They link the 1.1 wad specifically, while that error is asking for 1.2. You'll want this release. It's looking for a DEHACKED lump too, so it'll probably happily load it out of the WAD.

Hm. Well, using the 1.2 IWAD on its own didn't actually apply any of the changes. Same thing happened when using the 1.2 wad with hacx.deh. I'm using the 2.0 beta of Chocolate Doom, if that matters any.

Segmentation Fault fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 19, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

H2Omelon posted:

This is not possible to do with DEH or BEX files, sorry!

Well is there any way to do it? It only needs to work in GZDoom.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Install Windows posted:

I should be pretty easy to do with ACS.

Hey have any of you guys ever had a problem with gzdoom having little hiccups in the video? I just put a new video card in (upgrading an ailing 9800gt to a gt640) and now I can see little stutters when I move around. vsync doesn't help and neither does capfps - it's only seems to be in gzdoom and really annoying. It's running at ~370fps.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Mercury Crusader posted:

Huh. I should really look into this PC port remake thing, then. I'm always on the hunt for more classic FPS titles, good or not. It's kinda my thing. Even bad ones tend to get a pass from me.

I really dig the aesthetic of the game from what I saw in that video, so definitely post anything cool you find out about it!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Install Windows posted:

SavageMessiah posted:

I should be pretty easy to do with ACS.

Doesn't even need to be ACS!

http://www.mediafire.com/?keks6kktty6btqx

Enjoy.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Mercury Crusader posted:

PO'ed is...an experience, that's for sure. I can't say there are any other games like it, though I'm not sure there need to be any other games like it.

I have a Goldstar 3DO. All I can say is, if you get another 3DO, don't get that model. Save files corrupt constantly, which makes playing games like Guardian War and Star Control 2 a real bitch. I really want an FZ-1 because it is a beastly-looking console; I just love the way it looks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Thanks! Works excellent.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Cannot Find Server posted:

PO'ed is...an experience, that's for sure. I can't say there are any other games like it, though I'm not sure there need to be any other games like it.

I have a Goldstar 3DO. All I can say is, if you get another 3DO, don't get that model. Save files corrupt constantly, which makes playing games like Guardian War and Star Control 2 a real bitch. I really want an FZ-1 because it is a beastly-looking console; I just love the way it looks.

Oh yeah, the FZ-1 is an awesome-looking console. I bought mine a couple of years ago, complete in box, in near mint condition for about $150 with 15 games (with stuff like Super Street Fighter II Turbo, Gex, and Total Eclipse). Worked great for about three years straight as I was getting more games for it like PO'ed, Road Rash, and Need for Speed. Unfortunately, it has reached the point where it refuses to load any games. A random Google search tells me that it could be the drive motor, so it might be an easier fix than I originally thought. I just need some free-time and some better tools to get around to fixing it (I'm more comfortable tinkering with cartridge-based consoles).

Now, I'm not sure if PO'ed was given a PC port, but it was given a PlayStation port. While I love the 3DO version of PO'ed, I cannot play the PS1 version at all. It is one of the very few video games I have played that actually gives me motion sickness. It's hard to explain, but the way the PS1 version handles walls is slightly different than how the 3DO does it (walls look like they warp, stretch, and skew as you move around), and it's enough to disorient me and render the game unplayable.

Geight posted:

I really dig the aesthetic of the game from what I saw in that video, so definitely post anything cool you find out about it!

The opening and cutscenes (at least in the 3DO version) were awesome/hilarious to say the least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM9u1DsSj04

I wish more games used that early 20th century America aesthetic. I'm a sucker for Tommy guns and mobster stuff. I'm sure the PC port re-uses a lot of the story/cutscene assets from the 3DO version, just remixed differently. At the very least, I hope the first stage is retooled completely. The entire first area of the game takes place in a large hedge maze filled with undead hunters that can hitscan you to death, and unless you know exactly where to run to, it can take a long while to finally get into the mansion, where the game really gets good.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 20, 2013

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
I found a not crap video of the PC Killing Time's opening areas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgrMXhf3eo

It seems completely different. Although, the 3DO's FMV actors seemed to look a little better, the PC's shotgun looks goofy as hell, and there also seems to be a noticeable lack of duck stomping in the PC version.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 20, 2013

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Man, that starting area is significantly better than the 3DO version's. The hedge maze at the beginning of the 3DO version has poor pacing and you could be running around for 20 minutes or so before you find your way to the mansion, fighting the exact same hunter enemy over and over again. The pacing in the PC version looks way better, with more terrain and enemy variety. You even get the Tommy Gun pretty quickly.

Since the 3DO Company is dead, who ended up getting the rights to Killing Time? Or is it lost in the annals of time along with Strife?

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 20, 2013

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jonny Retro posted:

I found a not crap video of the PC Killing Time's opening areas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBgrMXhf3eo

It seems completely different. Although, the 3DO's FMV actors seemed to look a little better, the PC's shotgun looks goofy as hell, and there also seems to be a noticeable lack of duck stomping in the PC version.

The only time when poor green-screening is excusable.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Mercury Crusader posted:

Man, that starting area is significantly better than the 3DO version's. The hedge maze at the beginning of the 3DO version has poor pacing and you could be running around for 20 minutes or so before you find your way to the mansion, fighting the exact same hunter enemy over and over again. The pacing in the PC version looks way better, with more terrain and enemy variety. You even get the Tommy Gun pretty quickly.

Since the 3DO Company is dead, who ended up getting the rights to Killing Time? Or is it lost in the annals of time along with Strife?

Rebecca Heineman the lead technical programmer owns the right to the code, and is looking for the rights to the actual game, but has no idea who owns them.
She popped up in this thread on 3DO Zone looking for information on the rights holder, the thread also has some nice pictures of various versions boxes, jewel cases, and discs: https://sites.google.com/site/conwayestate/home/attic/lutynskichat

Which also lead me to this interview with one of the other programmers, Mike Lutynski, from May: https://sites.google.com/site/conwayestate/home/attic/lutynskichat

Apparently, Rebecca Heineman was trying to implement true under/overpasses into this games Doom style engine, but the level editor was a nightmare so they gave up on it and implemented the fast loading levels the game shipped with.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Jonny Retro posted:

Rebecca Heineman the lead technical programmer owns the right to the code, and is looking for the rights to the actual game, but has no idea who owns them.

The more I hear about old, obscure games, the more it sounds like the movie industry in its infancy. If it weren't for people backing up whatever games they could and spreading them around on the internet, there'd probably be as many lost games as there are lost films.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So hey, we've kinda touched on some crappy old FPS games lately. Here's one that should be a legend in that respect, but is instead just kind of forgotten: Alien Cabal. It's a bland, ugly FPS that breaks all the rules. And not in that hip 90s buddy cop way, in a mind-bogglingly bad design choices way. According to the game's update text file, they had to patch in key features two updates after release, such as strafing, red flashes for hit indication, and automatic weapon switching when out of ammo. Even after that, they STILL don't have a melee weapon, which means if you run out of ammo, you are flatly hosed. In the first level, you can repeatedly hit the switches that open the way to the exit, making it totally impossible to exit by means of shutting the exit door irreversibly. The whole thing is kind of an amazing mess.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

I'm playing through the "essential" FPSes. I started with Doom 2 and just beat Hexen; now I'm onto Marathon 2. I played the first two games using Chocolate Doom, but there's no equivalent for Marathon 2. Is there any way I can make Aleph One resemble the original Marathon 2 engine?

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

thegloaming posted:

I'm playing through the "essential" FPSes. I started with Doom 2 and just beat Hexen; now I'm onto Marathon 2. I played the first two games using Chocolate Doom, but there's no equivalent for Marathon 2. Is there any way I can make Aleph One resemble the original Marathon 2 engine?
Aleph One already resembles the original Marathon 2 engine way too much for its own good. What exactly would you want changed to make it more like the original?

Movac
Oct 31, 2012

thegloaming posted:

Aleph One ought to render like the original engine if you tell it to use the software renderer in the graphics options. The copy of Marathon 2 on Aleph One's site has upgraded textures from the XBox Live Arcade release, but you can download the original data files from Bungie here (look under "A1/SDL files for Windows"). Aleph One uses a (rather nice) modernized HUD, so here's a mod that emulates the classic UI.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

Lork posted:

Aleph One already resembles the original Marathon 2 engine way too much for its own good. What exactly would you want changed to make it more like the original?

OK. I've never played M2 on A1; only M1, which is quite different from the original (at least by default). According to the official site, M2A1 has an option for the classic graphics, so I guess that answers my question!

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

thegloaming posted:

OK. I've never played M2 on A1; only M1, which is quite different from the original (at least by default). According to the official site, M2A1 has an option for the classic graphics, so I guess that answers my question!
Oh, are they packing in updated graphics now? Yeah, if you turn those off it should play virtually identical to the original.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The only meaningful way Aleph One could be closer to Marathon 2 is to not support mice and OpenGL. You can do the same by disabling both, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. Since Marathon games don't have auto-aim like Doom does, keyboard-only is fairly irritating.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Actually, aside from variable sensitivity, Aleph One's mouseaim is virtually unchanged from the original trilogy. It was amazing in 1994, and holy goddamn it has not aged well.

Rush_shirt
Apr 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

The only meaningful way Aleph One could be closer to Marathon 2 is to not support mice and OpenGL. You can do the same by disabling both, but I'm not sure why you'd want to. Since Marathon games don't have auto-aim like Doom does, keyboard-only is fairly irritating.

Good point. I found it tolerable, even charming in a strange way, to use the mouse for Doom and Hexen (no vertical look, right-click toggles strafing). Auto-aim totally made that work, though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

Actually, aside from variable sensitivity, Aleph One's mouseaim is virtually unchanged from the original trilogy. It was amazing in 1994, and holy goddamn it has not aged well.

I was pretty certain that mouselook was only available for Infinity and the PC version of Marathon 2, but maybe not. When I was a kid, I used the keyboard.

In this enlightened era it's just evident that it simply wasn't as good a game as Doom. It beats the piss out of other second-tier FPS games like Duke, and I will stand by that, but it was just a little clumsier and less skillfully balanced in the gameplay department than it could have been.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
So, I'd like to address Action Doom 2: Urban Brawl. I'm sure most of us have played it, so I don't really feel the need to do a huge write-up, but I just want to say one thing...

It sucks.

Okay, maybe I'm being a bit harsh. It looks and sounds fantastic, and obviously has a great deal of effort, skill, and care put into it, but as a game, it falls flat. Brawlers seem an easy enough genre to ape, with the whole "moving right and punching" thing, but I'm afraid that's all that Urban Brawl got from the genre. Brawling games have combos and special moves and room-clearing attacks and varied enemy types and strategy. Hell, even Doom's melee game had baiting and dodging and weaving. Urban Brawl opts towards the best of both worlds by having none of the complexity of either.

Your character's only options are a punch, another punch, and a slow punch that makes you pause in place. Enemies are allowed to attack from outside your field of vision, meaning that concentrating on one enemy is a death sentence. This is a situation that could easily be handled by a standard "special" attack (see the spinning clotheslines and tornado kicks in most oldschool brawlers) but is sorely lacking in Urban Brawl. The left and right punches don't even combo into each other, for gently caress's sake, and I don't think they have very different properties (e: I just poked in again and noticed that the secondary fire is slightly slower and does significantly more damage. It still feels horrible.) Special maneuvers would probably take on a different nature in a first person game (I can't see grapples working in the Doom engine, no matter what) but, you know, that's why you combine genres.

If every enemy in the game is melee, why not have, say... Primary fire does a quick jab that can be lead into a combo, and secondary fire does a similarly straight-facing attack that is slower but knocks the opponent back, to give you some space without having to dedicate to a special move. Instead, you have two identical but separate attacks and a power attack that is strictly useless when you're being ganged up on, which is an event that will frequently happen. Weapons - outside of gimmick weapons and guns - are just buffs or debuffs to the same base values, which I guess is to be expected, but it doesn't really help add some much-needed variety to the gameplay.

Speaking of variety, the enemies look fantastic and are everything you could want in a brawler roster. Each one looks unique and is easily distinguished at a first glance - even the palette/body swaps. The problem I really have here is that they all seem to have almost the same AI, just different skins and stats (with the obvious exception of the rare projectile enemy). Almost none of them have any unique moves or tactics to speak of, they're simply divided into either "runs at you" or "circles momentarily, then runs at you". Like I said, a traditional brawler (that isn't poo poo) doesn't just change enemy sprites for shits and giggles, every major visual difference should have a different. Does this enemy block? Does this one charge up and do a dash attack? Does this one retreat if I face it and don't catch it in a combo? Should I be afraid of a roundhouse? Are they going to attack first or am I?

Trick question, the answer is always "rush in, make them activate their attack animation, rush out, rush in, hit". Almost every enemy in the game is a pinkie if you're fast enough.

I don't know, I can see why the game got such praise - it's still a unique gimmick, it looks great and has an excellent visual direction, and the music is so fantastic that I'd dare say some of the tracks should be modern gaming classics, but it's just not a good game. It's fun entirely due to how good the production values are, because the gameplay manages to disgrace both genres that it was trying to be a part of.

I also find Action Doom 1 massively overrated, but I care more about the punchy side of things than the shooty side of things, so I feel better addressing #2.

LvK fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 23, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Man, why are you even using the fists? There are weapons everywhere. You can start the game with a baseball bat (and use it to steal a diamond!) and a gun. There isn't a lot of ammo and you should probably conserve them for the last stage, but even if you stay with melee only, there are plenty of weapons around to use. You can find some in trash cans, some enemies drop them, and so on. They all deal more damage than the normal fists.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

RyokoTK posted:

I was pretty certain that mouselook was only available for Infinity and the PC version of Marathon 2, but maybe not. When I was a kid, I used the keyboard.

I think Marathon 1 used the old-style utterly useless mouse control where pushing the mouse forward made your character take five steps forward and vertical look was still on the keyboard, but I never used the mouse in the Marathon games (and still don't) so I may be wrong about this.

quote:

In this enlightened era it's just evident that it simply wasn't as good a game as Doom. It beats the piss out of other second-tier FPS games like Duke, and I will stand by that, but it was just a little clumsier and less skillfully balanced in the gameplay department than it could have been.

Yeah, it's noticeably clunkier than Doom, but it was one of the first FPSes to make a real effort to have more going on in the world than "bad guys are shooting at you, your mission is to shoot back until they're all dead" so it has a completely different atmosphere.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.techdigest.tv/2013/10/10_gadgets_that.html

article owns, doom owns, hail satan

(the smart watch one looks kind of bullshit though, since he is moving around flat shaded corridors with no other indication it is Doom)

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Vic 20 one is marvelous.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LvK posted:

Brawling games have combos and special moves and room-clearing attacks and varied enemy types and strategy.

Which ones, exactly? Please tell me so I can go play them. I love beat em ups, but most are NOT what you described remotely. There's no strategy.

Most beat em ups are move right, mash buttons to kill dudes, try not to get ganged up on. That's it. Lots of them only have a single move other than punch for combat depth; a move which does more damage but hurts you, so is entirely worthless. Even my all time favorite beat em ups like TMNT IV: Turtles in Time do that. Some of them let you pick up lots of items to beat people with, but that's as close to variety as you can get. Oh, and in addition to your normal punch, there's a jump kick. Whooo. Later Streets of Rage games added like a Street Fighter dragon uppercut, but that was the single combo you could do. Most don't even have that much.

How you describe is how they should work, but very few do in practice. I'd love to play more that work that way if you know some.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

abagofcheetos posted:

http://www.techdigest.tv/2013/10/10_gadgets_that.html

article owns, doom owns, hail satan

(the smart watch one looks kind of bullshit though, since he is moving around flat shaded corridors with no other indication it is Doom)

A lot of popular MP3 player brands support the custom firmware Rockbox (http://www.rockbox.org/), which also runs Doom. I have a Sansa Sandisk something with a barebones 2-colour display, and have run Doom on that, albeit badly. It's fun for the novelty, though.

Fake edit: there's a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rVV_0xKmhw

An Enormous Boner
Jul 12, 2009

Beat em ups are usually heavy memorizers. Anticipate enemy positions, keep everything spaced, juggle everything living, have complete control over every move and understand/exploit all the animations available. There's plenty of strategy involved in forming routes through the stages in most of the famous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Zaphod42 posted:

Which ones, exactly? Please tell me so I can go play them. I love beat em ups, but most are NOT what you described remotely. There's no strategy.

Most beat em ups are move right, mash buttons to kill dudes, try not to get ganged up on. That's it. Lots of them only have a single move other than punch for combat depth; a move which does more damage but hurts you, so is entirely worthless. Even my all time favorite beat em ups like TMNT IV: Turtles in Time do that. Some of them let you pick up lots of items to beat people with, but that's as close to variety as you can get. Oh, and in addition to your normal punch, there's a jump kick. Whooo. Later Streets of Rage games added like a Street Fighter dragon uppercut, but that was the single combo you could do. Most don't even have that much.

How you describe is how they should work, but very few do in practice. I'd love to play more that work that way if you know some.

Streets of Rage, some of Konami's efforts, and the Capcom brawling roster are pretty much the golden points, actually.

Just looking at Final Fight, you can:
-Punch combo (lots of damage to one or two opponents, can interrupt, can leave you flat footed)
-Jump attack (instant knockdown for whoever it hits, can resume combo)
-Flying kick (lose some control, can attempt to knock down multiple enemies at once)
-Flying down attack (stun an enemy, or - in Haggar's case - just wallop a lot of people with a huge hitbox)
-Grapple them and then punch (lots of damage to a single target)
-Grapple them and then throw (decent damage, can aim at other enemies)
-In Haggar's case, grapple and then jump (massive damage, risky in crowds)
-Standing special, for last-ditch room clearing
-Grab a pipe, to extend range
-Grab a knife, to increase power and also to just throw the drat thing across the screen

Then you have enemies who stick and move, who stay out of range until they can dash in, bum rush the entire screen, traverse the screen in a more erratic but interruptable way, block your combos, throw your rear end if you stay close, etc. Honestly a lot of the different options and strategies tend to fall apart when you get caught in a huge mess (in later stages of just about any game it tends to goes out the window to make room for "GET THEM ALL OFF ME NOW"), especially in Final Fight (it kind of shows its age sometimes), but the ideas are THERE. I'm mostly dressing down Urban Brawl because the options are all "Pinkie demon" or "Imp", with a side of "scramble to get the weapons or else you're gimped".