Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Check out this fellow's book collection. Pretty impressive at first glance, but it looks like he has something like three (!) copies of a few of them (two different hardcovers and the paperback).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Check out this fellow's book collection. Pretty impressive at first glance, but it looks like he has something like three (!) copies of a few of them (two different hardcovers and the paperback).

and what maybe 20% of the books on that shelf are "good"?

edit: Tales of The Bounty hunter second column from the right, third box up, seventh from the left.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 10, 2013

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Even one copy of a LOTF or FOTJ book is too many.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Why in God's name would you need three copies of I, Jedi?

Unless you needed some kindling for a bonfire.

(Also, are those sorted... chronologically?)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Drone posted:

(Also, are those sorted... chronologically?)

I think so. It's sort of confusing though because you have to go left to right all the way across both bookshelves.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drone posted:

Why in God's name would you need three copies of I, Jedi?

Unless you needed some kindling for a bonfire.

Well, I assume he's got three copies of The Courtship Of Princess Leia because he has three bathrooms in his house.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I have roughly as many books as he does and also arranged them chronologically :negative:

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Casimir Radon posted:

The pc version is actually pretty cool, even though it shows signs of being rushed.

I loved this game when it first came out. Of course, I was also something like 12 at the time...but for the PC, it was fantastic fun.

I'm also one of those losers who RP'd in JK II...though I always found the "bow before dueling" thing obnoxious - maybe my guy is a complete prick?

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, I also wanted to say that Masters of Teras Kasi was a really fun game don't know why its getting all the hate, thanks!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Carnaticum posted:

igiveup

farmboy

tiedup

chicken

I recognize that last one as turning the V-wing into a Cadillac, but who remembers the greatest Star Wars code ever? Not to undermine my own bitching, but there were two codes to enter into the original Rogue Squadron game in sequence, each would result in the "wrong password" noise but together would unlock the Naboo Starfighter.

e: what's the point of a cheat code that crashes the game? Also the Rogue Leader version has a monkey bobble-head.

helpmeobi 1
forceall 7

Enjoy. Not in Rogue Squadron, though...

To elaborate, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy's force powers each had three levels of effectiveness which increased as you went through the game. Turns out, though, that two powers in the game had higher levels than that: Jedi Mind Trick went up to 4, where 4 lets you take control of any living enemy, including wampas and rancors. Saber Offense, on the other hand, went up to 7 and unlocked additional (possibly enemy?) styles of lightsaber combat, which were mostly useless but fun to play around with.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jazerus posted:

helpmeobi 1
forceall 7

Enjoy. Not in Rogue Squadron, though...

To elaborate, Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy's force powers each had three levels of effectiveness which increased as you went through the game. Turns out, though, that two powers in the game had higher levels than that: Jedi Mind Trick went up to 4, where 4 lets you take control of any living enemy, including wampas and rancors. Saber Offense, on the other hand, went up to 7 and unlocked additional (possibly enemy?) styles of lightsaber combat, which were mostly useless but fun to play around with.

I played the ever-loving piss out of these games, including tons of mod play time as well...and NEVER KNEW THIS poo poo.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Mind Trick 4 was so much fun. The impotent 12 year old nerd rage Jedi equivalent of "stop hitting yourself".

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 12, 2013

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jedi Knight 1 superior in all ways, including multiplayer :colbert:

JK2 was fun mostly because my only strategy involved Force Choking people into pits. Someone posted stats from a server that a bunch of goons from Games played on and at least 60% of my kills were from it

McGann
May 19, 2003

Has anyone read the first book in the new series Empire and Rebellion? Razor's Edge is the name. Saw it at a Barnes and Noble, read a bit, was not immediately blown away so I put it back.

Looked like pretty dull, 'meh' writing to me - I've never read anything by the author before, either. Thoughts? I really want a new Star Wars book now that I've finished Kenobi...and have gone through all the Stackpole, Zahn, and Stover works (except anything after NJO).

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I have it on my kindle but haven't started it yet. I also didn't know it was part of a series. I thought that all SW series stuff was on hold until Disney works out what to do with the EU?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

astr0man posted:

I have it on my kindle but haven't started it yet. I also didn't know it was part of a series. I thought that all SW series stuff was on hold until Disney works out what to do with the EU?

There's been no official word one way or the other on how the Disney thing has affected the Expanded Universe as we know it. Books that had a set release date have come out as scheduled (Kenobi and Razor's Edge are the two most recent releases) but books that didn't have a date set yet have just kinda quietly sat in a holding pattern (Still no word on dates for the Sword of the Jedi trilogy)

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Why would anybody expect to be blown away by a star wars EU book

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I want more Mace Windu adventures, read Coruscant Nights book one and it made me yearn for something as good as Shatter Point.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

KildarX posted:

I want more Mace Windu adventures, read Coruscant Nights book one and it made me yearn for something as good as Shatter Point.

There's a few decent comics with Mace Windu; they're almost all issues of Star Wars: Republic.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Conquistador posted:

Why would anybody expect to be blown away by a star wars EU book

Let's just say my standards are pretty low at this point.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So the talk from people I know who were at New York Comic Con and spoke with Del Rey people is that all the post-ROTJ books are indeed on hold indefinitely due to Episode 7, because Del Rey still hasn't been told what the plot is, so they're holding off anything new in the era until they get information on the sequels so they can decide whether to just print the books, try and edit them, or whatever.

Also (and this has nothing to do with NYCC, but I just read about it) the guy who wrote Death Troopers is doing a book about Darth Maul fighting the Yuuzhan Vong? Weird.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The best bet would be to just accept the fact that the continuity as we know it is pretty much dead, and the only way to proceed it to accept a split. The films in one pile, episodes 1-6 and the old EU in the other.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
After EP1 came out I just accepted that continuity was broken. It doesn't really hamper my enjoyment at all

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

The best bet would be to just accept the fact that the continuity as we know it is pretty much dead, and the only way to proceed it to accept a split. The films in one pile, episodes 1-6 and the old EU in the other.

Good luck convincing the people on Wookieepedia.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Metal Loaf posted:

This is a pretty hilarious sentence

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Metal Loaf posted:

Wasn't Wookiepedia behind the original "tiered continuity" structure? Hell, if nothing else, WP can rationalize it as making episodes 7-9 their own little level of canon that only interacts with G-Canon. (For the uninitiated, G-Canon is 'George Lucas Canon' and encompasses the films themselves, plot tidbits said by Lucas and a handful of directly film-derived works like the radio plays and the film novelizations.)

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The tiered continuity came from Lucasfilms, but Wookieepedia has definitely had a rather liberal (/willing mis-)interpretation of it that has probably affected a lot of actual published stuff, given how many authors have admitted just skimming Wookieepedia for ideas or characters to use.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'm halfway through "Darth Plagueis" and I love it so much. I've already re-read the first half multiple times as I go along, I'm so enamored with the story. Finally, a book from the Sith perspective!

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

Metal Loaf posted:

Why on earth would anyone own three different copies of Crystal Star?

To contribute, I was pleasantly surprised by how good Darth Plagueis was. It's one of the few Prequel era books I've read and stands on its own really well.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

buffybot posted:

Why on earth would anyone own three different copies of Crystal Star?

Going to 3 different book burnings in the same week?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
While I have the physical "Make Of" books for ANH, ESB, and the new ROTJ, I was ready to shell out around $18 each this morning for the "extended" ebook versions that contain audio and video snippits, like this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VM_1a2CAsds
Unfortunately, at least from Amazon, the audio/video only works with Kindle Fire, iPod, and iPhone. I have a Kindle paperwhite and assumed that video on that would be right out but assumed that either of the Windows versions (app and/or desktop) would work. Alas they do not.

Is there an alternate seller that will allow me to access this content without the above-mentioned platforms?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Not to my knowledge. I own a Kindle Fire, but it's a 1st generation one, which are apparently not supported in this release. It's really a bummer, especially when you take a look at what they included here.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
It looks like the content (audio, anyway from the sample) is available form Google in Chrome.

Does anyone know if it's possible to save the book/content to a local drive? I don't like the idea of relying on "the cloud".

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Does it not work in their cloud web app? That seems kind of strange if it's true, since Amazon seems like it pushes the cloud app pretty hard for desktop users. And if you are using the cloud app I'm pretty sure it still downloads and caches the content locally.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Yam Slacker
Apparently not. I tried to send a sample and the Cloud player is greyed out.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just finished Darth Plagueis, and not only is it the best Star Wars novel I've ever read, it's up there for best story I've read (in terms of enjoyment, not "critical worth"). I loved it so much - I had to pace myself so I didn't finish it too fast.

Darth Plagueis himself was a surprisingly chill Sith Lord, except for the periodic mass killings and assassinations. I could not believe the amount of backstory given on Palpatine - supposedly all Lucas approved as well.

I really enjoyed to story's focus being on the Sith, with the Jedi being peripheral characters.

I've heard some good things about the Darth Bane trilogy - does it compare to Darth Plagueis?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Bane trilogy is okay. Not as good as Plagieus, but I liked it well enough. The first book is partly a retool of a story from a comic mini-series, but there's a bunch of new info about Bane's background to make up for it. The second is the weakest of the trilogy, it suffers from meandering plots. The third is pretty solid though.

Tom Brady
Oct 17, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Getting in on this Plagueis action then, seems like its awesome- Two of you mentioned pacing yourselves so you didn't finish it too fast.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Conquistador posted:

Getting in on this Plagueis action then, seems like its awesome- Two of you mentioned pacing yourselves so you didn't finish it too fast.

I thought it was incredible - really. Just such a cool story in the Star Wars universe. Sets up Episode 1 and 2 incredibly well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

redshirt posted:

I thought it was incredible - really. Just such a cool story in the Star Wars universe. Sets up Episode 1 and 2 incredibly well.

Definitely in my top-5 for sheer enjoyment. I love that it's entirely from a Sith viewpoint, which is something I only recall ever reading before in the Bane novels. I also love that it's so big on Palpatine - really it should be called Palpatine, as he's the focus through the majority of the book.

The Bane books are about as good as Drew Karpyshyn gets - which isn't saying much. I agree that the first one is decent, but I'd say the second and third both get increasingly worse as you progress. I actually quit the third one a couple times and had to force myself to finish it. That said - if you've ever read any of Karpyshyn's Mass Effect stuff, his Bane novels will read like INSTANT CLASSICS in comparison.