Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

From memory, the authors of EMM abandoned it and it was picked up by other people. Different versions probably give pretty different results. I thought it was decent enough for doing a pre-existing collection, but after that it was a bit of a pain in the butt.

Couch Potato is pretty solid and stable... sync it to your iMDB watch list (now iMDB have fixed their RSS feeds which were broken for about 6 months) and use that to tag what you want and wait. It combines with a fair few other services too, but given how synonymous iMDB is (mobile apps, huge db etc) it seemed the natural way to go for me. I can't remember any recent instances where CouchPotato has grabbed something incorrectly, missed anything or bodged up the file management side of things. It's pretty clean, and if you drop anything obtained elsewhere into its blackhole it'll handle that too (again, useful for preexisting collections).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
I spent a LONG time ensuring all my directories were named properly with each movie file named exactly the same as the folder it is in. I then used EMM to scrape metadata and posters/fanart. It took a looong time, but now I don't have to worry about it anymore. If my library gets deleted for whatever reason, it doesn't have to scrape everything since all the required info is stored in each folder with the movie.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

EC posted:

Another opinion: do it yourself. I know it seems like a lot of work, but you'll be much happier in the long run. Don't worry about artwork or posters or anything, just make sure the name/year of the movie is in the folder name and you'll be set for life. EMM/CP and others usually did nothing but leave behind a mess for me to clean up.

This might be some of the best advice I've seen on this front. I managed my movies and TV shows with EMM for a couple years. It was a surprisingly large headache. Especially when it got moved between maintainers three different times, and each one launched a new version that didn't really play well with the old stuff. I went through all my movies (and TV shows), named them "Title (Year) [(Resolution for HD)]" or "Title - S01E01 [(resolution)]" and put them inside their own folder that was named the same for movies, or Series\Season\Episode.mkv for TV. XBMC blasts through and scrapes them all perfectly, and downloads its own metadata, art, etc. I've had to set up new instances of XBMC over the past year or so, and they end up having to rescrape, but they generally come back with the same data (sometimes art changes, due to when it's scraped). The only way to streamline it more, in my opinion, is to set up a MySQL DB and have all of your XBMC instances pointing at it.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I'm thinking of finally ditching my ol' reliable XBOX-1 running XBMC in favor of a Raspberry Pi setup. I know in the OP it mentions that you wind up paying around $100 for a 700mhz chip, but can anyone running one of these let me know how it handles XBMC? I'm not really looking to buy another PC just for media, since most of my stuff streams off my existing PC anyways.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

haljordan posted:

I'm thinking of finally ditching my ol' reliable XBOX-1 running XBMC in favor of a Raspberry Pi setup. I know in the OP it mentions that you wind up paying around $100 for a 700mhz chip, but can anyone running one of these let me know how it handles XBMC? I'm not really looking to buy another PC just for media, since most of my stuff streams off my existing PC anyways.

I don't have a RPi, but most of the reports on here have been it works decently except for graphically intense skins, and some 1080p content. I have also heard some people say that the user interface can some times be unresponsive or sluggish at times. But it would probably be about as good as your Xbox 1 but with the ability to play HD content.

I don't know your time table for purchasing, but one thing to consider is that XBMC 13.0 will be out in a couple of months and better android support should be available. I am personally hoping that it will finally allow for $100 android set top boxes to be viable XBMC machines.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I don't have a RPi, but most of the reports on here have been it works decently except for graphically intense skins, and some 1080p content. I have also heard some people say that the user interface can some times be unresponsive or sluggish at times. But it would probably be about as good as your Xbox 1 but with the ability to play HD content.

I don't know your time table for purchasing, but one thing to consider is that XBMC 13.0 will be out in a couple of months and better android support should be available. I am personally hoping that it will finally allow for $100 android set top boxes to be viable XBMC machines.

Yeah I'm really only looking to upgrade because I finally got an actual HDTV and pretty much the only thing I don't like about my current XBOX setup is no HD support. A friend of mine actually sent me a few links to some Android devices so I might seriously consider one of those instead.

Waiting around another couple months isn't a deal breaker; most of my content is XViD anyways.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

Yeah I'm really only looking to upgrade because I finally got an actual HDTV and pretty much the only thing I don't like about my current XBOX setup is no HD support. A friend of mine actually sent me a few links to some Android devices so I might seriously consider one of those instead.

Waiting around another couple months isn't a deal breaker; most of my content is XViD anyways.

Raspberry Pi works just fine for 720p from personal experience. 1080p is reported to work as well, however, you could get hung up on films and shows that have DTS Audio. If your TV handles DTS-Passthrough it apparently works fine. If not you may have a chance of the CPU bottlenecking and getting some stuttering. I haven't read up on that DTS issue lately so I may just be talking poo poo. Groups like OpenElec have builds and groups just for working on the RaspPi.

Hold off on the Android devices, apparently Android is a loving shitshow when it comes to XBMC.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
I've done a lot of renaming lately, and I've used FileBot

http://www.filebot.net/

Esk1
Dec 19, 2007

haljordan posted:

Get the cheapest nuc and 4gb of ram and a USB stick and run openelec.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

haljordan posted:

Like I said, don't buy an android set top box for XBMC until after 13.0 comes out and there is better official support. I bet there will be device that the community recommends around mid January for around $100.

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

jackofarcades posted:

I've done a lot of renaming lately, and I've used FileBot

http://www.filebot.net/

I second this recommendation, it's pretty awesome and can be driven by command-line for some fancy automated shenanigans.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm looking for a new XBMC PC, it is to stream 1080p movies from my home server and also be snappy and responsive when in the menus, are there any in that list that I should avoid?

I like that, unlike NUCs, the Zboxes come with a remote, integrated wifi and support for 2.5 inch drives. I'd like to give Openelec a go but also have a good enough system to run Windows 8 in case Openelec doesn't work out.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I'm looking for a new XBMC PC, it is to stream 1080p movies from my home server and also be snappy and responsive when in the menus, are there any in that list that I should avoid?

I like that, unlike NUCs, the Zboxes come with a remote, integrated wifi and support for 2.5 inch drives. I'd like to give Openelec a go but also have a good enough system to run Windows 8 in case Openelec doesn't work out.

Just get the AD12 but keep in mind the built in wifi is rear end. So be prepared to repalce the micro pci card it comes with.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good
You may have noticed that green is AMD and Blue is intel. I have a now obsolete AD02, (the bigger box) and I can confirm you can turn off that green LED circle (it lights up) with a bios toggle if you go that route.

My "old" Ad02 can do anything I want in XBMC so anything newer than that will stomp all over it.

Only thing you'll miss on with these is high end gaming, or the crazy levels of cpu power you need for emulation of ps2 and wii games etc. Everything below should be fine and dandy.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Keep in mind wifi might have issues with 1080p content. Run ethernet if you can.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR
Probably a stupid question. I have a Foxconn A3500 running Openelec. Its great, except it be a bit sluggish with some skins, and slow to load cover art in wall view.

If i want better skin performance, should I:

1. get more memory in my A3500?
2. get a different more powerful net top?
3. quit fooling around with wimpy crap and get a serious HTPC running openelec?

I guess my question is: whats the weakest link?

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Cornjob posted:

Probably a stupid question. I have a Foxconn A3500 running Openelec. Its great, except it be a bit sluggish with some skins, and slow to load cover art in wall view.

If i want better skin performance, should I:

1. get more memory in my A3500?
2. get a different more powerful net top?
3. quit fooling around with wimpy crap and get a serious HTPC running openelec?

I guess my question is: whats the weakest link?

I think you know by now that I run the same system, but I've never run into any sluggishness when running Aeon Nox. What drive do you have in there? How much RAM? What skins are you running into issues with?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I bought a Zbox AD12 a few months ago following recommendation of this thread and it is indeed kick rear end! Would recommend

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Are you running openelec? Any problems? I've read that the remote and sleep mode can be tricky to get working.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I can say avoid the id12 though. Bought some for work for digital signage. They are a major pain to get working at proper resolutions for 720p/1080p.

You would think just plug in hdmi and go but no.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
You guys asking about hardware advice might find some more great recommendations in the HTPC thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2386006

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

Are you running openelec? Any problems? I've read that the remote and sleep mode can be tricky to get working.

I have two AD10s and an AD12 all running OpenELEC and none of mine have trouble waking up with my remotes. I'm using the Boxee remote on all three, so I can't say whether there are issues with the remotes and IR receivers that actually come with the computers, but the USB Boxee remotes that I use work just fine.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

wolfbiker posted:

I have two AD10s and an AD12 all running OpenELEC and none of mine have trouble waking up with my remotes. I'm using the Boxee remote on all three, so I can't say whether there are issues with the remotes and IR receivers that actually come with the computers, but the USB Boxee remotes that I use work just fine.

Conversely I've had a ton of problems with IR wake on 2 different AD10/AD12 units and Zotac support is useless. Thankfully they use so little power and are so quiet that you can just leave them idling most of the time, I think it's a whole extra buck on my power bill.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

The Gunslinger posted:

Conversely I've had a ton of problems with IR wake on 2 different AD10/AD12 units and Zotac support is useless. Thankfully they use so little power and are so quiet that you can just leave them idling most of the time, I think it's a whole extra buck on my power bill.

13w idle, 26w load, like keeping a couple fluorescent bulbs turned on.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Even if it's not a huge difference, I'd like to have a power draw of 1w instead of 13w most of the time. I'll see if I can get it to work, as I did end up ordering an AD12. Thanks for all the advice!

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Fillerbunny posted:

I think you know by now that I run the same system, but I've never run into any sluggishness when running Aeon Nox. What drive do you have in there? How much RAM? What skins are you running into issues with?

I'm running Openelec from. 16gb thumb drive. No internal storage in the foxconn. My content is on four 2tb drives that are all directly connected via USB.

I have 4gb ddr3 internal memory.

In virtually any skin, wall view can take as much as 5 seconds to load all the covers. With skins like aeon, transitioning from the main menu a wall mode, it takes about 10 seconds

Cornjob fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 22, 2013

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

Cornjob posted:

I'm running Openelec from. 16gb thumb drive. No internal storage in the foxconn. My content is on four 2tb drives that are all directly connected via USB.

I have 4gb ddr3 internal memory.

In virtually any skin, wall view can take as much as 5 seconds to load all the covers. With skins like aeon, transitioning from the main menu a wall mode, it takes about 10 seconds

Mine's the same except I have a 32gb ssd inside that I use to run the OS. I also have a NAS running over gigabit network that holds all my media. I seem to recall reading about how thumbs are cached to the local storage as of Frodo, so I would imagine that is where your bottleneck lies. I certainly don't experience anything like you describe. The main menu to wall view of my movies comes up in less than 2 seconds.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
Anyone else having issues getting XBMC to run in OS X Mavericks? It won't even try to start.

edit: Looks like it's a known issue but there's only one patch and a guy linked it from his dropbox which subsequently went over in usage. Only thing you can do right now is upgrade to a nightly or wait for the patch

suddenlyissoon fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Oct 23, 2013

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
My first afternoon with the AD12 has been a bit sobering, as I have had numerous small issues with it:

-on of the the rubber screws its standing on is a bit too short, meaning it's standing on just three of the screws and wobbles when you push down on it
-WLAN is too slow to stream 1080p
-the menus are, when using the remote control, a bit sluggish
-boot times are pretty long, 40+ seconds (openelec on USB stick)
-FAN is pretty loud

On the plus side, it does 1080p movies without stuttering and was pretty cheap.

I've only spent an afternoon with it but now I kinda wish I had waited for the Haswell NUCs to become available, oh well, live and learn.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

My first afternoon with the AD12 has been a bit sobering, as I have had numerous small issues with it:

-on of the the rubber screws its standing on is a bit too short, meaning it's standing on just three of the screws and wobbles when you push down on it
-WLAN is too slow to stream 1080p
-FAN is pretty loud

On the plus side, it does 1080p movies without stuttering and was pretty cheap.

I've only spent an afternoon with it but now I kinda wish I had waited for the Haswell NUCs to become available, oh well, live and learn.

On the AD10 you can adjust when the fan comes on in the bios. I raised the minimum temperature and my noises went away.

You can replace the WLAN with a better card and get better performance.

Make sure you have the right screws in the right holes, on the AD10 they are not all the same.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
As Don mentioned the default fan profile for the ADxx units is rubbish, bump up the min temperature quite a bit. I will post what I'm using when I get home from work, the fan never goes above whisper quiet when running OpenElec. The WLAN is lovely, just replace it or run ethernet. Menus should be fine, I'm using a Harmony and don't really have much delay. Try a different stick?

Boot times should be about 30 seconds from power to XBMC on OpenElec which is fair due to the kernel init, polling and all that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why not unscrew that one a bit to level it?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Alternatively you can just pick up a little rubber foot leveler or one of those anti-scrape pads for chairs and cut it, dollar store stuff.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Also on my AD10 I had to disable "common plugin cache" to get the thing to cool down to safe levels.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Hey for the boot time, what kind of stick are you using? the boot time is relatively limited to the speed of the stick, so you might want to invest on one of those faster sticks if you need it to boot quickly. Mine boots really quick but I also picked up one of those EXXXTREEEME or whatever sticks that can read and write very quickly.

For the menu, you could always install YATSE which is a cool android app for phones and tablets to give a visual menu of videos to play. I actually delegated a more or less obsolete nook color to remote duty.
There shouldn't be too much of a delay though, can you identify if its cpu lagging behind or if its just a high latency IR reciever?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

IUG posted:

Why not unscrew that one a bit to level it?

The Gunslinger posted:

Alternatively you can just pick up a little rubber foot leveler or one of those anti-scrape pads for chairs and cut it, dollar store stuff.

Don Lapre posted:

On the AD10 you can adjust when the fan comes on in the bios. I raised the minimum temperature and my noises went away.

You can replace the WLAN with a better card and get better performance.

Make sure you have the right screws in the right holes, on the AD10 they are not all the same.

Maybe I'll take another look to see if the screws are different lengths. It's not a huge issue since it has no functional impact, I was just a bit disappointed to see what I thought was poor build quality.

The Gunslinger posted:

As Don mentioned the default fan profile for the ADxx units is rubbish, bump up the min temperature quite a bit. I will post what I'm using when I get home from work, the fan never goes above whisper quiet when running OpenElec. The WLAN is lovely, just replace it or run ethernet. Menus should be fine, I'm using a Harmony and don't really have much delay. Try a different stick?

Boot times should be about 30 seconds from power to XBMC on OpenElec which is fair due to the kernel init, polling and all that.

If you could share your BIOS settings I'd certainly appreciate it!

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Also on my AD10 I had to disable "common plugin cache" to get the thing to cool down to safe levels.

Can you elaborate a bit what this option is and where I can find it?

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Hey for the boot time, what kind of stick are you using? the boot time is relatively limited to the speed of the stick, so you might want to invest on one of those faster sticks if you need it to boot quickly. Mine boots really quick but I also picked up one of those EXXXTREEEME or whatever sticks that can read and write very quickly.

For the menu, you could always install YATSE which is a cool android app for phones and tablets to give a visual menu of videos to play. I actually delegated a more or less obsolete nook color to remote duty.
There shouldn't be too much of a delay though, can you identify if its cpu lagging behind or if its just a high latency IR reciever?

I'm using an old-ish USB 2.0 Stick I had lying around, if I were to change it, is there an easy way to migrate my openelec install or even just the database onto a new stick? I assume I can't just plug it into my (Windows) PC and copy it over. I did actually try YATSE and it was a bit more responsive, so I think it there's definitely some IR receiver lag there. I'll probably end up using a combination of the remote and YATSE. I should also not that all my media is on a network share, though I don't think that should have any impact on menu responsiveness since that stuff is all saved on the stick as I understand it.

Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Can you elaborate a bit what this option is and where I can find it?

It's an add-on (enabled by default). No idea what it does specifically, I thought it might make some plugins/add-ons break but it hasn't that I've noticed. Someone else here suggested it so I'm not sure why it helps.

System > Add-ons > Enabled Add-ons > Services (I think) > Common Plugin Cache (I might be slightly off on the exact name) > Disable

Separate issue (or maybe related to the above): I keep getting a message "Allmusic Add-on: Update failed", but when I tried to uninstall All-music, I looked through Enabled and Disabled add-ons and couldn't find it. What gives?

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

I have renamed my library like 6 times. Used different tools and did it manually. My movies, while they get added, don't show up in files at all. It has made me sad. Is it better to have the files in their own folders or just one folder and all the files bare?

Tooter fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 24, 2013

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
It's recommended that you put your movies in separate folders and label them Title (Year), but one folder should work too. I had it that way for a long time.

Make sure the first line is unchecked:

What does your file list look like now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

jackofarcades posted:

It's recommended that you put your movies in separate folders and label them Title (Year), but one folder should work too. I had it that way for a long time.

Make sure the first line is unchecked:

What does your file list look like now?

It is Movies\Title(year)\file (also the movies title).
It scraped the TV shows fine which was the same convention. The movies were scraped and they show up in Recently Added but if I go to browse they aren't listed at all.
I'm just going to scrap it and start from scratch. Need to reload the OS anyway, the system drive is being a little bitch.