Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Any recommendations for an Internet/streaming radio app? I've been using Doubletwist but I'm sure I can do better. Preferably also something that I can set to go off as an alarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I was going to suggest TuneIn but it doesn't have alarm feature.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I do not like the new Play Store :(

Why would they put the menu swipe section at the furthest point from your thumb!?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

WastedJoker posted:

I do not like the new Play Store :(

Why would they put the menu swipe section at the furthest point from your thumb!?
Just to anger you right-hand-holders. It's in the same place as it is in everything else.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WastedJoker posted:

I was going to suggest TuneIn but it doesn't have alarm feature.

I'm trying TuneIn right now and it does have an alarm feature, so thanks! This looks about what I'm looking for with a refreshable list of stations and better categories.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
You do know any swipe in from that side will open that right? You don't have to swipe in from the top.

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011
I hate how Youtube seems to be the only app that the swipe from the right works anywhere on the screen, it pops up way too often when I'm trying to scroll.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
idgi, hasn't the Play Store looked like this for a while?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

1st AD posted:

idgi, hasn't the Play Store looked like this for a while?

No, this just started rolling out a few days ago. It added the same left-menu that a lot of other google apps have now.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Play 4.4 card overflow switched from squares to circles. Coincidence I'm sure.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

big mean giraffe posted:

You do know any swipe in from that side will open that right? You don't have to swipe in from the top.

you have to swipe right from the edge which is almost as annoying. I don't know why you can't just swipe horizontally anywhere to make the sidepanel expand.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm trying TuneIn right now and it does have an alarm feature, so thanks! This looks about what I'm looking for with a refreshable list of stations and better categories.

It does?

I've had the Pro version for years and never realised!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

WastedJoker posted:

you have to swipe right from the edge which is almost as annoying. I don't know why you can't just swipe horizontally anywhere to make the sidepanel expand.

Because in some apps swiping horizontally from anywhere but the edge swipes between screens in the app.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

Because in some apps swiping horizontally from anywhere but the edge swipes between screens in the app.

Well how about a diagonal swipe :colbert:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

WastedJoker posted:

Well how about a diagonal swipe :colbert:

Scratch it like a DJ at a turntable. wicka wicka wicka :c00lbert:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So Aereo's Android app launched today. I haven't gotten a lot of time with it yet, but during a break from work I messed with it a bit and managed to get Wheel Of Fortune to stream with minimal buffering/refactoring on low quality over T-Mobile's 4G.

Unfortunately it's 4.2 and up only, which means that I can't put it on my Google TV. No Chromecast support either, which is unfortunate (I was hoping Chromecast was the reason the app was delayed).

Still, it's the best way yet for me to watch timeshifted TV shows in bed, so I'm pretty psyched.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Unfortunately, they're really strict on their region restrictions. I live near Flint, MI, but I'm well within antenna range of Detroit stations. I got invited to the beta, but they said no.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's odd--I'm about 30 miles away from Boston and I was allowed in. In fact, some people as far away as Concord NH are apparently allowed to sign up for the Boston channels.

Does Flint have network affiliates? They may not be legally* allowed to broadcast Detroit stations in the Flint coverage area.

*Well, as legal as they can be. Which I think they technically are. Maybe. The whole thing is a little iffy--I'm sure having thousands of antennas in the same area increases the signal for all of them, which means that theoretically they're able to recieve more channels then someone in the same place with a single antenna could get, which means that it's not actually the same service if someone were to use an antenna themselves. But I hope it sticks around--I actually tried to do the OTA HD thing but even in East Boston I wasn't able to get all the channels.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 23, 2013

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

lelandjs posted:

That's odd--I'm about 30 miles away from Boston and I was allowed in. In fact, some people as far away as Concord NH are apparently allowed to sign up for the Boston channels.

I'm down in Bristol county and I can't get Boston channels on aereo. It only wants to provide me with Providence stations which aren't available yet.

Meanwhile I can definitely get channel 5 and 7 on my TV if I wanted to.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I just noticed that DraStic lets me put shortcuts to specific games (autoloading last save) on the desktop. Is there any way to move things like that into the App Drawer on Nova?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

lelandjs posted:

Does Flint have network affiliates? They may not be legally* allowed to broadcast Detroit stations in the Flint coverage area.

*Well, as legal as they can be. Which I think they technically are. Maybe. The whole thing is a little iffy--I'm sure having thousands of antennas in the same area increases the signal for all of them, which means that theoretically they're able to recieve more channels then someone in the same place with a single antenna could get, which means that it's not actually the same service if someone were to use an antenna themselves. But I hope it sticks around--I actually tried to do the OTA HD thing but even in East Boston I wasn't able to get all the channels.

Yeah. That's the main problem, I think. Flint has the major networks, so geographically, I'm locked out.

My problem is that I hate the Flint stations because they suck and feel like they're being run out of a trailer in some dude's backyard. Plus, I grew up on the Detroit stations, and I still consider myself a metro Detroit resident, rather than a metro Flint resident.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Does anyone else use Pulse News? The other day I tried Themer to see what it was all about. It's interesting, but I kind of liked my old layout. So I went back and Themer had deleted every widget I had running, including my big wall of Pulse newsfeeds. Now when I try to add them back, it pulls from the wrong source. My "Best of News" is all Dilbert strips. Every source is totally the wrong thing with no rhyme or reason. Anyone else run into this and know of a fix?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
Any suggestions on IRC apps? I'm using AndChat right now but I'm not too sold on it.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009
I have yaairc (Yet Another Android IRC client) and it seems to work fairly well.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

AndroIRC has been my only client app to date. Its set up to open all my rooms for me when I connect and that's p much the only need I have.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Jeff Goldblum posted:

AndroIRC has been my only client app to date. Its set up to open all my rooms for me when I connect and that's p much the only need I have.

Rooms? Rooms? Rooms? What kind of IRC user are you?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Hand in your CGA avatar, you piece of poo poo.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

interrodactyl posted:

Any suggestions on IRC apps? I'm using AndChat right now but I'm not too sold on it.
tiny tiny irc seems interesting. Haven't tried it myself, but I could see myself using it if I wasn't already using quassel on my home pc.

bastardInABasket
May 22, 2001
Fun Shoe
I'm currently using G+ Photos, which automatically uploads camera photos to google+. Is there a way to specify which folders it monitors? I use a third party camera app(Camera Zoom FX) which lets me set the save folder to my external SD card. G+ Photos doesn't sync that folder. I know I can sync to drop box or google drive with other apps, but are there any alternative apps that will let me sync custom folders to google+ photos?

Also, I recently started using Facebook Messenger for a group chat that I'm part of. Unlike Whatsapp or Kakaotalk, Facebook chats are not as easy to catch up on a back log of messages. For example, let's say I'm 100 messages behind, and I like to make sure I read those messages. Other chat apps will start me at the last read message and let me scroll down. With Facebook, I start at the most recent and have to find my way to the last read message. It's even more difficult when new messages make the window automatically scroll to the bottom. I've read about the alternative Facebook apps, but would any of them be relevant for improved group chat?

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm quite liking Sherpa.

I think one of my favorite things about it is that it pronounces "Ok" as "Och"

I like to think it's doing a really bad Scottish impression.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

E30User posted:

I'm currently using G+ Photos, which automatically uploads camera photos to google+. Is there a way to specify which folders it monitors? I use a third party camera app(Camera Zoom FX) which lets me set the save folder to my external SD card. G+ Photos doesn't sync that folder. I know I can sync to drop box or google drive with other apps, but are there any alternative apps that will let me sync custom folders to google+ photos?
Does Camera Zoom FX not just drop pictures into the standard pics folder? My wife uses that app and she hasn't mentioned it not working. I'll check when she gets up in an hour or so.

e: Just checked on this. Open Camera Zoom FX, click the Settings icon, scroll and select All Settings. Click Save, choose the Default or manually choose the DCIM/Camera folder and Google+ will automatically upload for you.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Oct 24, 2013

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Vagrancy posted:

Play 4.4 card overflow switched from squares to circles. Coincidence I'm sure.

Twitter v5 (beta) has a circular overflow too

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

LastInLine posted:

Does Camera Zoom FX not just drop pictures into the standard pics folder? My wife uses that app and she hasn't mentioned it not working. I'll check when she gets up in an hour or so.

e: Just checked on this. Open Camera Zoom FX, click the Settings icon, scroll and select All Settings. Click Save, choose the Default or manually choose the DCIM/Camera folder and Google+ will automatically upload for you.

He said he saves his pictures to his sd card. For whatever reason (I'm guessing low internal storage). So I don't think that helps him.

Anyway, Google doesn't care about sd cards so I don't think there's an option to upload pictures automatically from an SD card.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

bronin posted:

He said he saves his pictures to his sd card. For whatever reason (I'm guessing low internal storage). So I don't think that helps him.

Anyway, Google doesn't care about sd cards so I don't think there's an option to upload pictures automatically from an SD card.

When I had a Galaxy S4, new pictures I took (with the S4 camera app) were stored on the SD card and still managed to get automatically backed up to Google+.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Venkmanologist posted:

When I had a Galaxy S4, new pictures I took (with the S4 camera app) were stored on the SD card and still managed to get automatically backed up to Google+.

Hmm Ok. I remember Dropbox doing the same, it even uploaded Screenshots automatically. The Amazon cloud app on the other hand only uploads from the standard camera directory.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Does anyone have suggestions for a good video player app? My phone didn't come with one and there's millions of them on the Play Store.

Phone's stuck running 4.0.4 ICS for what it's worth.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for a good video player app? My phone didn't come with one and there's millions of them on the Play Store.

Phone's stuck running 4.0.4 ICS for what it's worth.

MX Player is a fan favourite. I like Dice Player too for a couple of things (putting video on top of other apps, it lets you browse and bookmark network shares too if you're into that)

Confounding Factor
Jul 4, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Edit I think I figured it out.

Confounding Factor fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 24, 2013

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica

bronin posted:

I think you could possibly create a symbolic link to get this working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
What the gently caress have Google done to the Youtube app? I haven't used it on my phone for a while but just tried it now and it just sits there trying to load, saying "an error occurred". I've cleared cache, data, uninstalled all of the updates, rebooted the phone, reinstalled the updates, rebooted the phone, but it still doesn't work.

• Locked thread