Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
People don't actually hate Stealth Rocks, it's just that it seems really bad because it makes Charizard worse (he'd still be awful pre-gen 6 even if it weren't for SR) and people loving love Charizard. SR is, if anything, a positive force on the meta since it speeds the game up without completely destroying stall tactics, checks bulky dragons, provides another hazard for stall teams to stack, and plenty of other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr Pepper posted:

I disagree, pretty much every new Pokemon looks interesting. They just don't look overpowered, Gamefreak seems to have finally figured out how to add variety without power creep.

I guess we have different definitions of overpowered, because I don't think most of the Gen VI guys can really compete when they're introduced in the same generation as Mega Gengar and Mega Absol and have to compete against a ton of great old mons who got neat toys. Tyrantrum may be my favorite pokemon ever, but even with Dragon Dance he's not nearly as impressive in practice as Haxorus. Ditto Klefki who, despite great typing, doesn't really have a great movepool to abuse Prankster and is totally outdone by Sableye and even Mega Banette, which has its own major issues. Even the Pseudolegendary this gen doesn't seem to stack up to any of the others.

I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. But none of the new guys really scream that they're super solid on their own yet. Even my Noivern ended up disappointing me in the Maison.

Plus tons more old pokemon got huge boosts. Like Scolipede, or half the new fairies.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Brett824 posted:

I'm not sure about this/don't understand it. Stealth rock is incredibly ubiquitous, and your post implies that a lot of people don't enjoy its ubiquity, but a thread the other day suggesting just banning/limiting the use of the move turned into an awful clusterfuck and generally got nothing done.
I'm not sure I understand it either. The impression I'm getting is Smogon is somewhat divided - the tone on IRC is calmer and more collected (it's where a lot of the real-time organisation happens - #xyresearch existed before the Uncharted Territory forum) whereas there seems to be a core of people who only post on the forums who are rather more hardline about things and who are responsible for a lot of the gamers.txt-esque moaning about cartridge players whenever something is suggested.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Stalgren posted:

Haha really? I mean, not surprised by it at all sadly, they are pretty full of themselves like someone said before.

Ah well.

What's this about different pumpkaboo sizes?

There are 4 different sizes, with the biggest having high attack and low speed, the smallest having low attack and high speed, and the other two being various stages of in between.

Or at least that's how I've been led to believe it works, at any rate.

Countblanc posted:

People don't actually hate Stealth Rocks, it's just that it seems really bad because it makes Charizard worse (he'd still be awful pre-gen 6 even if it weren't for SR) and people loving love Charizard. SR is, if anything, a positive force on the meta since it speeds the game up without completely destroying stall tactics, checks bulky dragons, provides another hazard for stall teams to stack, and plenty of other things.

Surely you're joking. SR is the worst thing that's ever happened to competitive singles. Just look at the complete clusterfuck that was gen V, SR contributed to that significantly by letting sweepers get more OHKOs on things especially with sash breaking.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 23, 2013

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

The Shortest Path posted:

Surely you're joking. SR is the worst thing that's ever happened to competitive singles. Just look at the complete clusterfuck that was gen V, SR contributed to that significantly by letting sweepers get more OHKOs on things especially with sash breaking.

I feel like if you're having counter-counter-strategies dedicated to a single move it might be overpowered. I especially dislike how so many pokemon get discredited just for being "weak to stealth rock".

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

horriblePencilist posted:

I doubt most people on Smogon even play Pokemon. They probably just use Pokemon Showdown and literally snarl at children in public should they have any indication of liking Pokemon.

You think you're joiking but I've run across a guy that got into Pokemon via competitive, and hates the actual games with an absurd passion.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I feel like if you're having counter-counter-strategies dedicated to a single move it might be overpowered. I especially dislike how so many pokemon get discredited just for being "weak to stealth rock".

Exactly. It's too prominent and overcentralizes the game around it. If distribution were heavily limited, like what's happening with Sticky Web, it would be great, because then you'd have to actually make decisions about whether you're including it on your team based on whether it fits or not. But everything and its mother can learn it, so it's a complete no-brainer and forces all strategy to revolve around it.

Fire, flying, ice, and bug types are all made severely worse. Focus Sash and Sturdy are almost completely worthless except on leads. All damage calculations are made based on stealth rock existing because it is just that ubiquitous.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
That amazing PR video posted a few pages back is going to inspire me to make a proper one of my own because that was amazing :allears:

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
Yeah the shiny rate in this game is pretty ridiculous, this is my third shiny since yesterday.

cancerianmoth
Oct 18, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

That amazing PR video posted a few pages back is going to inspire me to make a proper one of my own because that was amazing :allears:

oh yea i totally spent a good 30 min making mine.
It glorifies how handsome I am. Then spotlights my shiney Heliolisk. Its so campy I love it.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Countblanc posted:

If Charizard was the only reason people cared about Stealth Rock it wouldn't be necessary for spinners to have a way of killing the ghosts that come out to stop them from using Rapid Spin to clear away the rocks. There are counter-counter-counter-strategies around Stealth Rock and it's a pain in the rear end that any team needs to be designed with them in mind regardless of what your strategy is or what tier you're playing on or anything.

Hell, just ban SR from all tiers except OU/ubers and I'd be fine with that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Unless you're running 3+ pokes with x4 weakness to rock SR isn't a huge issue. Seriously, it's not that huge big deal even with x2 weaknesses. Especially when typical SR set ups are stopped by so many things that are already huge things for dealing with poo poo that's not SR (Taunt, just hitting them like a motherfucker, Counter-set up, punishing them by letting you get a buff out while SR goes up, etc.). I used to hate SR like you do but I've really come around to it once I've actually started playing competitive pokemon. It's nothing that's not insurmountable. Hell, I don't even plan around it when I build team and it's never that huge of a deal. If you're building a team that has THAT much rock weakness SR is only part of your problem since most sweeper run a rock attack or two.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

The amount of restrictions on what Pokemon learn what because of certain game's tutors or events or whatever is getting pretty ridiculous in my opinion. Take for example, the move Defog. In this newest gen, Defog got buffed to remove all entry hazards and screens from both sides of the field. Being an HM in Gen IV, a lot of Pokemon learn it, many of whom would benefit from having it in their support move arsenals. Hilariously, most of them can't learn these moves as egg moves, which leads to a much more limited distribution. Note that some of the Pokemon who learn it from breeding can only get it from one of their own species who learned it in Gen IV. But others can't learn it that way. :psyduck:

It's the same with Stealth Rock too. A ton of Pokemon who learn it via tutor in Gen V can't get it any other way. So we have these game changing moves that only a few Pokemon can learn until we get Pokemon Bank, when we'll have a flurry of Pokemon suddenly using them. This leads to a bunch of dumb legality issues with not being able to have certain moves with certain abilities or moves. I don't think they made these restrictions for balance reasons. They just didn't think about giving some Pokemon access to certain moves in one game, but not in another.

An even bigger head-scratcher is that Ghastly can have Sludge Wave from the Dream World in Gen V. Ghastly cannot learn Sludge Wave from TM in Gen VI though.

I just wish they would be consistent with what moves a Pokemon can get in each gen, because these limitations are frustrating and unnecessary.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I loving hate being colour blind and not noticing how many shinies I've seen until you hit run then realise OH poo poo HE MADE THE NOISE HE MADE THE NOISE

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
I hope Poke Transporter blocks Wish Chansey from being transferred, to put the kibosh on that nonsense.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hammerite posted:

I hope Poke Transporter blocks Wish Chansey from being transferred, to put the kibosh on that nonsense.

Yeah because those millions of kids who live in NY and have Wish Chansey that are now playing Gen VI deserve to have their favourite Chansey blocked from coming to Kalos because it'd ruin a bunch of nerds' meta-game

Not being hostile towards you or anything, just sayin'

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Tusen Takk posted:

Yeah because those millions of kids who live in NY and have Wish Chansey that are now playing Gen VI deserve to have their favourite Chansey blocked from coming to Kalos because it'd ruin a bunch of nerds' meta-game

Not being hostile towards you or anything, just sayin'

"Millions of kids"? Nobody except for smogon even remembers that wish chansey was a thing dude.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Spinners and spinblockers were a thing as far back as Gen II, when Spikes was the only entry hazard and it only had one layer.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you're building a team that has THAT much rock weakness SR is only part of your problem since most sweeper run a rock attack or two.

I don't understand why Rock has so many bad attacks... Power Gem is the strongest 100% accurate rock move at 80 BP after getting buffed in Gen VI.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Hammerite posted:

"Millions of kids"? Nobody except for smogon even remembers that wish chansey was a thing dude.

Idk I seem to remember visiting from the UK and going to the NYC Poke Centre and getting some Pokémon but this was like ten years ago :shrug:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I would hazard a guess that the number of legitimate uncloned Wish Blissey running around in the wild is counted in the dozens, not the millions. And all or nearly all of them are owned by people who don't give a gently caress about competitive battling.

Power creep in general was responsible for the rather unbalanced nature of Gen V OU. Conversely, Gen V UU was one of the most balanced metagames the competitive community has ever had. I think if the Smogon crew could do it over again they might seriously consider banning Drizzle and Drought at the beginning of BW.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Oct 23, 2013

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

HoneyBoy posted:

Yeah the shiny rate in this game is pretty ridiculous, this is my third shiny since yesterday.

gently caress You ! !

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

HoneyBoy posted:

Gone through the whole game, didn't see a single shiny. Again. That's 10 games in a row now. :sigh:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Ranked wifi singles once you get past 1800 is a frightening place.

SO many Japanese kids run Talonflame as their backup revenge killer, that thing wrecks with priority brave bird. I've taken to running sash/destiny bond Gengar to surefire take it out.

Here's an interesting tidbit: Mega Kangaskhan's Return hits 230 base power after Parental Bond and STAB, making it the single most powerful drawback-free attack in the game :unsmigghh:

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Beasteh posted:

Here's an interesting tidbit: Mega Kangaskhan's Return hits 230 base power after Parental Bond and STAB, making it the single most powerful drawback-free attack in the game :unsmigghh:

V-Create Victini says hi.

Second is Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor when it gets released.

Edit: oh right, drawback-free. Duh.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 24, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Gone through the whole game, didn't see a single shiny. Again. That's 10 games in a row now. :sigh:

I finally got my first one in a friend safari, after playing this game religiously for way too many years.

It was a Paras...

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Beasteh posted:

SO many Japanese kids run Talonflame as their backup revenge killer, that thing wrecks with priority brave bird. I've taken to running sash/destiny bond Gengar to surefire take it out.

Loudred's Boomburst with a silk scarf and stab is 262 base power. He can also hit ghosts with it because of scrappy, and it hits both opponents in double battles. :v:

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 24, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zoran posted:

V-Create Victini says hi.

Second is Adaptability Dragalge Draco Meteor when it gets released.

He did say "drawback free".

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Yeah, I just realized. I was mentally equating that with suicide moves for some reason.

I suppose I missed Porygon-Z's Adaptability Hyper Beam, not to mention Snorlax's Selfdestruct and Lickilicky's Explosion.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 24, 2013

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beasteh posted:

Is there any drawback to Mega Kangaskhan? Everything I've read about it makes it sound incredibly broken and I can't remember anyone saying anything about counters.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

She isn't particularly fast, from what I recall.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
I kind of wouldn't mind a return to a more aquatic Pokemon region. I know everyone decries Hoenn's five routes of surfing, but I really enjoyed diving into undersea trenches and getting lost amidst reefs and feeling like I was really out to sea. It was cool to experience a variety of water Pokemon in a variety of settings, above and below the water, in undersea caves and so on. I'd at least like a return of that, or something that captures the same experience--more underwater exploration!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I find it really hard to get outraged about some fan community that exists within their own website and battle simulator server. I don't know why people who don't like it just don't go there? It isn't like there are Smogon Ninjas enforcing their will upon all.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is there any drawback to Mega Kangaskhan? Everything I've read about it makes it sound incredibly broken and I can't remember anyone saying anything about counters.

I was going to say that it can't hit ghosts particularly well but I guess if you choose to not mega-evolve that's not even true.

KoB
May 1, 2009

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

I fished for like 5 minutes and got a shiny dumb fish. :shrug:

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

Counters: Keldeo, Terrakion, swagger/thunderwave/sub/foul play Liepard/Klefki (shaky), sub Gengar.

That isn't a whole lot of counters considering that two of those are unavailable until Xmas. Probably best to will-o-wisp it.

She isn't particularly fast, from what I recall.

Base 100 speed when mega is decently fast, and fake out + sucker punch don't give a poo poo about speed so :shrug:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

I find it really hard to get outraged about some fan community that exists within their own website and battle simulator server. I don't know why people who don't like it just don't go there? It isn't like there are Smogon Ninjas enforcing their will upon all.

Well that's kind of the problem, is that if you want to do any kind of pokemon battling at all your options are the official Nintendo format (which is doubles) or Smogon.

e: If you want any relevant amount of players, that is. Sure you can go other places, but having an opponent pool of ~10 people isn't exactly a great thing.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Okay, I actually did find something better than Mega-Kangaskhan's Return. As long as we're counting abilities as base power increases, Diggersby's Return hits 306. Too bad its actual stats are way worse so Diggersby does less damage.

tentawesome
May 14, 2010

Please don't troll me online
I need a bulky physical attacker for my all-Kalos team. How do you guys think about a super large gourgeist?

Gourgeist (super large)
Ability: Frisk (or Insomnia I guess, for gourgeist is seems like all of its abilities are worthless)
Hold item: ???

- Flame Charge
- Pain Split
- Shadow Sneak
- Seed Bomb

edit: Pain Split with a substitute could be pretty fun ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Flame Charge and Shadow Sneak don't mesh at all, since one increases speed (and has weak power) and the other has priority.

Your overall set is good however, I would replace flame charge with will-o-wisp.

It would look like;

Gourgeist @ Leftovers
Size: Super Size
Ability: Frisk
Nature: Careful
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spe
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Seed Bomb

• Locked thread