Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That was also the Best Av.

Still had to move on though. Anybody want it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
I'm on the fence about taking it, if someone can think of a decent title which escapes me.

Re: Book Club: I think we should start on Friday, but skip a day next week to keep to one row=one week? October 25th only comes around once a year!

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Tollymain posted:

That was also the Best Av.

Still had to move on though. Anybody want it?

What the hell is going on with her eye? I thought it was just a normal eye with extra pupils around it. That was the one thing I didn't understand about that avatar.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

IUG posted:

What the hell is going on with her eye? I thought it was just a normal eye with extra pupils around it. That was the one thing I didn't understand about that avatar.

This is after the cue ball incident.

That's not an eye, it's an eyesocket.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's a rather damaged hole in her head now yes.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Well it just looks like skin was growing over it, and that confused me.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's a cool lady in Finland named Ella who draws Homestuff, I originally found her on deviantArt under kotijumi (which basically translates to homestuck :mmmhmm:), but she's much more active on tumblr under dodostad. She even drew something for me once :3: It's one of the images here, actually.

dodostad.tumblr.com

EmperorFritoBandito
Aug 7, 2010

by exmarx

IUG posted:

Well it just looks like skin was growing over it, and that confused me.

It's meant to be her cauterized eyelids, I'm guessing; that's one way to recover from losing an eyeball. (No one just leaves the empty socket there, unless they want to die of an infection.)

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
My favorite piece of Homestuck fanart of all time is this piece by Magnolia Porter of Monster Pulse fame. Its print was the only Homestuck merchandise I ever purchased, if you don't count kickstarter donation.

Just look at those ugly little guys! :3:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well gently caress I have been out-fanart-posted, that is incredible :3:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Olivia42 posted:

The fanart thread has been neglected into the archives, so nothing wrong with posting awesome fanart here, as well as in the new thread. No spoilers though, so for the first week break out your Bard Quest masterpieces.

Can we please all draw Bard Quest fanart though.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

So I was reading Hussie's archives because they were making me giggle at work when I came across a Tavros callback I'd never seen before.
http://www.andrewhussie.com/comic.php?sec=archive&auth=Scribblettes&cid=scrib/00101.gif

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

DaveKap posted:

So I was reading Hussie's archives because they were making me giggle at work when I came across a Tavros callback I'd never seen before.
http://www.andrewhussie.com/comic.php?sec=archive&auth=Scribblettes&cid=scrib/00101.gif

Other than the wheelchair, I don't see the callback. Am I missing something here? Is there some Tavros line I'm not remembering?

EDIT: How did I forget that :doh:

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Color Printer posted:

Other than the wheelchair, I don't see the callback. Am I missing something here? Is there some Tavros line I'm not remembering?
Tavros ran over and killed his best friend. Also most people think his story blows.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Color Printer posted:

This guy ran over his sweetheart.
Tavros ran over his beloved Tinkerbull.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag
I'm pretty partial towards kanotynes' Homestuck works:

Yes, a lot of these are loving weird.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Are those supposed to be intentionally awful or is it the artist's ~*style*~

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Thwack! posted:

"The Persistence of Dream Bubbles"

cloudy music
Aug 23, 2008
They remind me of Ren and Stimpy. That Jake x Dirk one though... :psyboom:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Fister Roboto posted:

Are those supposed to be intentionally awful or is it the artist's ~*style*~

If they were supposed to be intentionally awful wouldn't that BE the style? I mean, "supposed to" and "intentionally" mean the crude, abstract look is by design which is what, to a degree, style is. If you're going to complain about abstract designs then at least try and get it right.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OK lemme rephrase that:

I think those look awful.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I find it pretty funny v:v:v

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
I think they have a great style and looseness and I think the Jake one is absolutely hilarious. Reminds me a lot of humanimals and that's never a bad thing.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Thwack! posted:

Ahhh these are fantaastic, especially the equius one. The roughness is a product of the artist not having refined her/his style yet, but the enthusiasm for experimentation here is really inspiring.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Some of those are so evocative of old cartoons that it feels like there is a lot of direct homage going on there, rather than just personal stylistic choice. That is absolutely the case with Aradia don't care, and Apisdorf seems awfully familiar too.

The Jake page is downright horrifying though.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
If we've decided to resurrect the Homestuck fanart thread in here for its last few days, I'll throw down what will probably be my last bit of Homestuck fanmusic ever unless something in the final update really gets my music juices flowing (and--to be honest--something probably will).

Crystalline Repose

I haven't even thought about Homestuck fanmusic for months, especially with Volume 10 nowhere in sight (or possibly never to come out at all, if one of Michael Guy Bowman's recent posts is accurate) and LOFAM 3 in a state of perpetual "eventually" (which, to be fair, happened with the other two LOFAM albums because they're such huge undertakings). It's kind of sad, really, thinking about how Homestuck music just isn't that much of a thing anymore, considering that when I started reading Homestuck the music was my favorite part.

Well, so long, Homestuck thread. Thanks for the memories. If the readalong thread gets made I'll follow along there so I'm all caught up when the gigapause ends.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Best fanart is Homerstuck.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Agreed.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Thwack! posted:

*snip*

They're pretty charming actually. I mean look at that Eridan, haha (I thought Feferi was smoking a joint in the first one). I can get behind intentional "uglyness" when it lets the characters show so much personality. The opposite of this is, for example, some of the latest Penny Arcade strips where the characters are deformed and wacky for no apparent reason and it just looks unnecessary and dumb.

Aw, when I'm not so busy updating my portfolio I'd like to draw some fanart or two.

DaveKap posted:

Tavros ran over and killed his best friend. Also most people think his story blows.

A long time ago I didn't even know people despised Tavros. I mean he wasn't one of my favorites really, but it surprised me to find out some readers hated his guts like he deserved everything he got because he was a pansy.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

I've done a bit myself. Nothing spectacular but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little proud of Hipster Calliope:

...and Calibro:

I've also got an illustrated version of that ridiculous Dave/Ray Smuckles from Achewood rap battle I posted a while back... If I ever get around to coloring and lettering it I'll pass it along.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Blackheart posted:

A long time ago I didn't even know people despised Tavros. I mean he wasn't one of my favorites really, but it surprised me to find out some readers hated his guts like he deserved everything he got because he was a pansy.

Socks and sandals man, that's all there is to say on the matter.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

I actually started re-reading Homestuck a couple of weeks ago because, without fail, there is something I missed on the first few reads. I found something on this one pretty early in I found kind of touching- spoilered because if any of you are re-reading, you might want to catch this for yourself.

This time, it was the bedroom set in the SkaiaNet labs. Rose finds a tea set and a bed pink enough for a pretty princess and stuff down there, as well as Mutie. When she returns to her mom's room- "Or at least what you thought was her room"- she finds only booze shelves and a bar. Mom had her secret bedroom down in the SkaiaNet lab this entire time, but wanted to make sure Rose saw her as an adult, so she hid away what might be interpreted by Rose as juvenile tastes someplace Rose would never look- in a hidden laboratory, the secret entrance concealed in Jaspers' tomb. There are stuffed wizards down there and everything, and the headboard has a pink cat head (which I'm guessing is the precursor to Roxy's Mutie icon). Now I'm just :smith: thinking about Mom sitting down there all by her lonesome except for Mutie, writing her wizard stories while she nurses a martini.

e: also Rose you stole your mom's only friend cat! But I guess she stole your cat too? So it's okay in some strange way.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 24, 2013

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Just to add onto that:

Wasn't that also the same table and bed set that the young Handmaid had? I recall noticing something like that and checked back, but I don't think I ever connected how one got to the other.

But seriously, Roxy is pretty much always going to be a kid at heart. She has too much fun playing around as a tinkerer and hacker. Almost a sort of backwards Cats in the Cradle.

cloudy music
Aug 23, 2008

Indie Rocktopus posted:

I've also got an illustrated version of that ridiculous Dave/Ray Smuckles from Achewood rap battle I posted a while back... If I ever get around to coloring and lettering it I'll pass it along.

this sounds wonderful, to say the least

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Cavatica posted:

I'm honestly more ok with the idea of reading the comic as is with the current edits. I started reading at the start of act 5.2, well after the huge music blow-up. I didn't really know about the drama behind it until I read through the previous threads here. And even then, the music I missed out on wasn't enough to blow my socks off.

As for the arm and random glowing panels, the url will tell you the difference as Treestuck found out, so it's not nearly as hard to find the original source.

But more than that, I'm totally down for a re-read! Maybe I'll finally stop lurking this way.
Wait, 'random glowing panels'?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

New Rex Duodecim Angelus preview up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g28yJwt7MT8

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

Kgummy posted:

Wait, 'random glowing panels'?

When John was zapping around, Hussie edited some of the panels that he appeared off screen in to have a glow, like this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Tunicate posted:

New Rex Duodecim Angelus preview up on youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g28yJwt7MT8

So what do you think, will they actually manage to finish it before Homestuck ends? Maybe before the game comes out?

Before the heat death of the universe?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

So what do you think, will they actually manage to finish it before Homestuck ends? Maybe before the game comes out?

Before the heat death of the universe?

From what I understand, progress was effectively a flat line until a professional animator barged in and took the reins by force. Now things are moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

Indie Rocktopus posted:

While I wait for that, my goodness I would be so grateful if you or anybody could repost/requote the text. I must have missed that.