Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Astroman posted:

Things are a bit more organized today in Star Trek. I can't say the novels are canon, but the people writing them make a strong effort to have internal consistency and not contradict the shows or movies.
Which I actually don't like as much and is why I stopped reading the novels right around the time that DS9 ended--instead of these varied worlds of imagination, some written by legit sci fi writers like Vonda McIntyre or Greg Bear, all you got was one dire cookie-cutter DS9 or Voyager tie-in after another. Except for the one about Garak written by Andrew J. Robinson himself, it was all super dull. If it's all going to be the same, and poorly-written to boot, who gives a gently caress?

This is not to say that your idea about tying the novels/RPGs/comics back into the show isn't good, though. I like the way Enterprise introduced some already-existing material about the Andorians, for instance.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

1st AD posted:

The pilot and the first season are two vastly different looks though, the miniseries is shot conventionally on film and uses a lot of the language of classic cinema, whereas the series proper is all done on HD video cameras and is shot cinema verite style (except for anything Cylon-related in the later seasons).

Personally I don't think the look of the series ages very well, and in HD there's a few things that don't quite hold up like the excessive amount of grain added to every shot.

Yeah, I don't know that I need a lot of steady-cam and snap-zooms in another series, although they probably should aim for something a little less flat than what they were able to pull off in the original series (this is obviously going to happen and I don't feel at all like I'm fantasizing about a pipe dream).

I think the big thing is that B5 doesn't really need a story re-work like BSG did to make it work for an audience. It definitely needs plot pacing and a season worth of pare-down, but the core could stay the same.

Although the fact that they're borrowing B5 clips for these Samsung commercials- is B5 more well remembered than we give it credit for?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Sorry to sperg but there's a lot less steadicam use in BSG than you think - aside from that awesome shot from Pegasus where the steadicam sweeps around Cain and Adama as they're about to go to war, most of the steadicam work is relegated to the Cylon basestar scenes where the ultra smooth movements contrast against the normal handheld shakycam and snap zooms in the colonial fleet.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Trying to keep continuity between books, comics and movies is a huge mess, and movies will always take precedence over TV shows, which take precedence over everything else. One a new movie sequel or TV episode comes out, the comic book is always going to get contradicted.

Star Trek can kind of get away with that now as the original Trek universe is "over" and JJTrek has taken over, so you don't have to worry about them putting out a new movie or show that contradicts stuff.

Star Wars was sort of like that, although Star Wars openly contradicts itself all the time, and Lucas is gonna do what Lucas is gonna do. Since the new movies are sequels, the majority of the EU is going to have to be contradicted out of necessity, because there is no way you can make it fit. Are you gonna make a trilogy of the Thrawn movies that take place right after ROTJ when Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher are old as hell? Are you going to have Luke married to Mara Jade and just assume audiences are going to know who she is?

I think the Star Wars EU is a bigger mess than Star Trek, because Star Trek doesn't even pretend to be in continuity and you can just pick and choose which stories you like and ignore the rest. Had Paramount tried to make the books, games and comics official, Star Trek would be an ENORMOUS mess. Remember, up until this point, Star Wars was primarily just 3 (and then later, 6) movies. Star Trek on the other hand is 5 TV series and 12 movies, with hundreds of episodes. It's hard to make that consistent with itself, let alone a humongous amount of tie-in novels, comics and games.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Bitterly Clinging to my AK47 and Das Kapital

I like that Voyager was so keen on hammering the reset button that rather than incorporating Tom Paris' actions in "The First Duty" in TNG, they just change his name and never speak of it. Being the hotshot squadron leader in the academy, attempting a crazy maneuver that gets someone else killed, and using that to create a character with some interesting internal contradictions related to his position and having creative room for personal growth for the character is apparently too loving hard. It wasn't enough for the writers to reset their own universe; they had to reach into TNG's universe and reset their poo poo as well.

Voyager is garbage.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

President Kucinich posted:

I like that Voyager was so keen on hammering the reset button that rather than incorporating Tom Paris' actions in "The First Duty" in TNG, they just change his name and never speak of it. Being the hotshot squadron leader in the academy, attempting a crazy maneuver that gets someone else killed, and using that to create a character with some interesting internal contradictions related to his position and having creative room for personal growth for the character is apparently too loving hard. It wasn't enough for the writers to reset their own universe; they had to reach into TNG's universe and reset their poo poo as well.

Voyager is garbage.

That's actually because they didn't want to pay royalties to The First Duty's writers.

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

Sprat Sandwich posted:

That's actually because they didn't want to pay royalties to The First Duty's writers.

Even if royalties weren't an issue, the producers felt incorporating his past in that episode into Voyager would have made him "irredeemable".

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

I loving love the BSG snap zooms because it finally got around the age old problem of "space is huge but we need to fit 2 visible ships in the shot with some semblance of composition so that means they're 10 feet apart".

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Although the fact that they're borrowing B5 clips for these Samsung commercials- is B5 more well remembered than we give it credit for?

Can you elaborate on this? I'm horribly oblivious to current advertising since I stopped watching TV on a TV and installed ad-block.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I loving love the BSG snap zooms because it finally got around the age old problem of "space is huge but we need to fit 2 visible ships in the shot with some semblance of composition so that means they're 10 feet apart".

On the other hand, "zoom in on the cock!"

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Can you elaborate on this? I'm horribly oblivious to current advertising since I stopped watching TV on a TV and installed ad-block.

They pulled clips from just about every scifi show ever that had a wrist-based communication device. I don't think it says anything about B5 in particular.

B5 is such a weird beast. Every time it comes out for a new format (VHS, DVD, Online) there are a shitton of sales. WB throws money at a new special, then decides to cut the money by 90%. Then they don't market for dick (and the special are legitimately awful) then lock it back away in the vault. The original b5 would sell and does sell just fine. But WB won't do anything with it.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Even if royalties weren't an issue, the producers felt incorporating his past in that episode into Voyager would have made him "irredeemable".

And yet somehow "convicted maquis terrorist" was fine. Oh, Voyager. :rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EL6uqwzQbpk

I hadn't seen it before now either, and I think it's a really smart ad campaign trying to build interest in a product nobody was asking for. I don't think it's 'revolutionary' or whatever they want us to think, but it does seem like a cool bit of gadgetry and the ad screams 'we're in the Future!' A bit of TMP in there too. Never noticed those wrist communicators before, and I've seen TMP at least 4-5 times.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

rypakal posted:

They pulled clips from just about every scifi show ever that had a wrist-based communication device. I don't think it says anything about B5 in particular.

B5 is such a weird beast. Every time it comes out for a new format (VHS, DVD, Online) there are a shitton of sales. WB throws money at a new special, then decides to cut the money by 90%. Then they don't market for dick (and the special are legitimately awful) then lock it back away in the vault. The original b5 would sell and does sell just fine. But WB won't do anything with it.

Apparently (according to JMS), WB has been loving B5 for years, most egregiously in the budget/profits department. He alleges that they have done some funky accounting where all the costs for production are counted (plus marketing and distribution, etc.) and all the net profits from sales are shifted to different accounts, like in some kind of international divisions or something crazy like that. This way they can say B5 barely/didn't make them any profits, while simultaneously cashing in (and presumably skating on royalties/residuals). Who knows how true it is, but outward signs definitely point to WB execs giving no shits about B5, and it certainly is not something tv/movie studios would be above doing ethically.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

That Galaxy Gear is gonna flop because it's expensive, doesn't work very well as a watch, and it's an ugly watch for the price that you pay. Also nobody wants to talk into their wrist. Oh and it only works with their ridiculously oversized phone and no other phone.

Guy Montag posted:

Apparently (according to JMS), WB has been loving B5 for years, most egregiously in the budget/profits department. He alleges that they have done some funky accounting where all the costs for production are counted (plus marketing and distribution, etc.) and all the net profits from sales are shifted to different accounts, like in some kind of international divisions or something crazy like that. Who knows how true it is, but outward signs definitely point to WB execs giving no shits about B5, and it certainly is not something tv/movie studios would be above doing ethically.

Hollywood accounting is pretty endemic to the system though, it's not just B5 that's being hosed.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

1st AD posted:

That Galaxy Gear is gonna flop because it's expensive, doesn't work very well as a watch, and it's an ugly watch for the price that you pay. Also nobody wants to talk into their wrist. Oh and it only works with their ridiculously oversized phone and no other phone.

I have no doubt it sucks. All I would really want on my wrist that integrated with a phone would be an actual watch, or some other unobtrusive bracelet, that could show a caller-id or notification messages via bluetooth. I even remember seeing something exactly like that at least 4 years ago. Trying to make it into a super-all-in-wonder whizz-bang doohickey is trying way to hard, when at best there is only a niche market for this kind of accessory.

quote:

Hollywood accounting is pretty endemic to the system though, it's not just B5 that's being hosed.

Truth.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
So, the missing fourth season appears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-ziTBAkbQ

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Did the original Trek also get horribly shafted and screwed? I ask because it seems to almost be a ritual at this point that a popular sci-fi series will be treated like poo poo and robbed blind, buried, etc. - TOS presumably just staggered on for a while, and I haven't heard of much financial screw for the later series.

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Nessus posted:

Did the original Trek also get horribly shafted and screwed? I ask because it seems to almost be a ritual at this point that a popular sci-fi series will be treated like poo poo and robbed blind, buried, etc. - TOS presumably just staggered on for a while, and I haven't heard of much financial screw for the later series.

One thing I know for sure is that Michael Dorn, having been in more episodes of Star Trek than anyone else does pretty dang well for himself. I don't know how much is investing his original paychecks well vs. residuals, but the man collects and flies fancy airplanes. He has owned at one point or another at least two honest to goodness fighter jets (F-86 and T-33, according to wikipedia). That poo poo ain't cheap.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Iirc they got the Friday death slot in season 3 because the show was declining in popularity. Budgets were slashed even further and it just died, it wasn't until syndication that Star Trek became a hit.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Is that... Marina Sirtis as the ship's computer?

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

1st AD posted:

Iirc they got the Friday death slot in season 3 because the show was declining in popularity. Budgets were slashed even further and it just died, it wasn't until syndication that Star Trek became a hit.

It makes me feel some weird kind of nostalgia (for long before my time) and warm fuzzy feelings to remember that we wouldn't have Star Trek at all if it weren't for Lucille Ball. :j:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Mr. Jive posted:

Is that... Marina Sirtis as the ship's computer?

Yes, and that's Scotty's son as Scotty and Mythbuster's Grant Imahara as Sulu.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yes, and that's Scotty's son as Scotty and Mythbuster's Grant Imahara as Sulu.

This is surprisingly not as terrible as I assumed it would be. :raise:

Definitely reeks of TOS weirdness, but overall, it could be way way worse. I think Imahara is the weakest link so far, as neat as it is to see him as Sulu.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

1st AD posted:

Sorry to sperg but there's a lot less steadicam use in BSG than you think - aside from that awesome shot from Pegasus where the steadicam sweeps around Cain and Adama as they're about to go to war, most of the steadicam work is relegated to the Cylon basestar scenes where the ultra smooth movements contrast against the normal handheld shakycam and snap zooms in the colonial fleet.

You're right, I meant to say shaky-cam and totally flubbed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Doctor and Bones were both really great, but one of the best things BSG has going for it is they have the best loving space doctor to ever doctor in space. Doc Cottle supremacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvB4tTwhQXI

Not the best clip, but youtube is woefully lacking in Cottle.

Brick Card
Oct 12, 2008

Better by far you should forget and smile than that you should remember and be sad.

1st AD posted:

I finally get your name.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Guy Montag posted:

And yet somehow "convicted maquis terrorist" was fine. Oh, Voyager. :rolleyes:

Not only that, but they were afraid that their watered down version was still too unpalatable. You can see in the first few episodes how they tone him down even more.

I guess it shouldn't be surprising considering how scared the show was about its premise in general.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 24, 2013

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

rypakal posted:

JMS said the only thing he's still interested in is doing a B5 theatrical movie but so many of the actors are dead that there's not much chance of that anymore.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gammatron 64 posted:

Granted, the Thrawn and X-Wing books are fun, but they're the only parts of the Star Wars EU I even like to acknowledge.

You're missing out on a couple other good ones.

For instance, the book "Death Star." Turns out the Death Star really was full of contractors when it got blown up. And that being the guy that actually pushed the "fire" button on the superlaser ended up with, like, super PTSD.

Cesar Cedeno
May 9, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 589 days!

counterfeitsaint posted:

The Doctor and Bones were both really great, but one of the best things BSG has going for it is they have the best loving space doctor to ever doctor in space. Doc Cottle supremacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvB4tTwhQXI

Not the best clip, but youtube is woefully lacking in Cottle.

I still love Bones the most, but Doc. Cottle was one of the best things about BSG.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Drone posted:

Just read a couple chapters while waiting for a phone call appointment and yeah, your description hits the nail on the head. I mean I'm enjoying the book well enough, and it's had some neat things to say about solipsism so far, but in the end I can't help picture stuff like this being written by some superfan back in 1970 and sold in mimeographed form at conventions to other people hawking Kirk/Spock slash and cheap plastic IDIC pins.

If nothing else, it's interesting from the perspective of someone who grew out of his more hardcore fandom when I was a teenager. I'm thinking of reading a couple of these old Bantam/early Penguin TOS novels and blogging it.

Edit: McCoy just tried to explain why women love Spock, and basically said that loving an alien is "the white female crewmember's way of coming to terms with the racism and prejudices of their Anglo-American heritage." (slightly paraphrased) :stare:

My understanding was that James Blish was actually on hard times and was basically slumming just to get by, and normally wouldn't have deigned to crank out Star Trek. He also did the adaptations of the Animated Series.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Guy Montag posted:

Apparently (according to JMS), WB has been loving B5 for years, most egregiously in the budget/profits department. He alleges that they have done some funky accounting where all the costs for production are counted (plus marketing and distribution, etc.) and all the net profits from sales are shifted to different accounts, like in some kind of international divisions or something crazy like that. This way they can say B5 barely/didn't make them any profits, while simultaneously cashing in (and presumably skating on royalties/residuals). Who knows how true it is, but outward signs definitely point to WB execs giving no shits about B5, and it certainly is not something tv/movie studios would be above doing ethically.

Didn't someone post in an earlier thread (or the B5 thread?) that at least part of the hostility came from PTEN being semi-separate from the traditional WB hierarchy? There's definitely some hosed up corporate politics going on there.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I like that Voyager was so keen on hammering the reset button that rather than incorporating Tom Paris' actions in "The First Duty" in TNG, they just change his name and never speak of it.
WHAT.

Oh what the gently caress, it's like every time I find something that I hate the worst about Voyager, there's another fact that I hate even worse than the last worst thing.

As if it wasn't already a show with horrible missed opportunities. This would have made me give a poo poo about Paris beyond how badly Kim wants to gently caress him. Ugh, goddammit Voyager. You're the worst show. I'm going to watch every episode of you by the end of December. gently caress you, Voyager.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

On the specific question of TAS, I'd say it's about as canon as you can get. You can't go by Memory Alpha, as they are not the official "keepers" of the franchise and will include stuff Paramount may not consider canon. But if you look at the database on https://www.startrek.com a cursory glance reveals entries on Captain/Commodore Robert April and Dr. Stavos Keniclius. So I'd venture to say the whole of TAS is canon, not just Yesteryear. Though note that Saavik is NOT listed as half Romulan there, so they are still keeping to filmed stuff. Just including animated in that.

I always thought someone had the right idea - can't remember if it was Gerrold or Fontana - who said it was really silly to not consider TAS 'real' Star Trek, considering that loving Gene Roddenberry (along with various TOS writer veterans) put their names on the goddamn credits every episode, and the title card says "STAR TREK" in big letters.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Oct 24, 2013

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Whalley posted:

Ugh, goddammit Voyager. You're the worst show. I'm going to watch every episode of you by the end of December. gently caress you, Voyager.

I like you. Welcome to the thread.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Whalley posted:

WHAT.

Oh what the gently caress, it's like every time I find something that I hate the worst about Voyager, there's another fact that I hate even worse than the last worst thing.

As if it wasn't already a show with horrible missed opportunities. This would have made me give a poo poo about Paris beyond how badly Kim wants to gently caress him. Ugh, goddammit Voyager. You're the worst show. I'm going to watch every episode of you by the end of December. gently caress you, Voyager.

Well, they just didn't want to pay the writer royalties for the character.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

http://www.lookhuman.com/design/19694-a-vulcan-in-the-streets

Before you make any Pon Farr jokes, they're already in the product description.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I've always felt that TAS has a few good episodes here and there and should be considered canon. I mean yeah, it gets really dumb sometimes, but it's Star Trek. Star Trek gets really dumb sometimes. As far as I'm concerned, it's TOS years 4 and 5.

I'm glad that it's finally considered canon and "real" Star Trek. I wonder what else Gene wanted to strike from canon, namely which TOS\TNG episodes he wanted to remove.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, I'm sure he wanted to remove all those episodes which painted the Ferengi as not possessing genitals which provide insane amounts of pleasure to human women.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I always thought someone had the right idea - can't remember if it was Gerrold or Fontana - who said it was really silly to not consider TAS 'real' Star Trek, considering that loving Gene Roddenberry (along with various TOS writer veterans) put their names on the goddamn credits every episode, and the title card says "STAR TREK" in big letters.

I always heard that TAS was non-cannon because of the Ringworld crossover species business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Kucinich
Feb 21, 2003

I would do many disgusting things for more TAS run by colorblind people.

• Locked thread